Mar

Fan Confidence Poll: March 1st, 2010

Schedule This Week: vs. Pirates (Weds.), @ Phillies (Thurs.), vs. Rays (Fri.), vs. Blue Jays (Sat.), @ Twins (Sun., split squad)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Rose says:

I’m at a 9. If Phil Hughes and the rest of the players were more like bulls in a china shop who didn’t belong with the Yankees mold…I’d feel A LOT better…

2. 7.

I’d love to vote higher than that, but they’ve lost a lot of clutch during the offseason and you have to wonder how all the moving parts fit together. There’s a good chance of seriously changed clubhouse chemistry dynamics.

Sincerely,
    Anonymous Scout X

3. JGS says:

I’m at 0. Edwar Ramirez was the heart and soul of this team

4. Rose says:

I feel with Kei Igawa shifting to the bullpen, the Yankees might have C rated version of Hideki Okajima on their hands…which might bump their bullpen into 15th overall this year.

- Peter Gammons

5. Devil In A Blue Cap says:

My cow in the meadow mentality about this team is keeping me at 9. If I had a grunt and fart mentality, however, I’d be at 10, easy. Maybe 11.

6. Jake H says:

Still a 9. Would like them to sign the cuban SS and DePaula to boost the farm system.

7. pete says:

Still a 9. The AL-East is just too good right now/for the next 5-10 years for a 10

8. Mike HC says:

Confidence level 6.

I just can’t fully trust the Yanks to make the right decision about their fourth and fifth starters. Look at these numbers:

Joba Chamberlain – - 157 innings — 9 wins

AJ Burnett 207 innings — 13 wins

Al Aceves — 84 innings — 10 wins

Phil Hughes — 86 innings — 8 wins

It is obvious here that Hughes and Aceves should be rotation mainstays. Just look at their win totals compared to how much the Yankees allowed them to pitch. Starting pitchers need to be able to win games and AJ and Joba just are not winners. They both have huge arms, small brains that are meant for the bullpen. Until the Yankees “braintrust” understands what being a winner is all about, I just can’t give my full endorsement.

Sincerely,

Scout X’s protege

• Steve H says:

The latest sabermetric statistic.

W/IP.

Genius.

• I agree. I’ve developed an advanced stat to correlate how many innings a pitcher “dominates” in relation to his team being successfully impacted in a triumphant win/loss outcome. I call it the Innings Dominated/Impacted Outcome Triumphant ratio. Simply divide the number of innings dominated by the number of triumphant outcomes and voíla, you have a pitcher’s ID/IOT ratio. Lower numbers are better.

As you can clearly see from the raw data my colleague Scout X’s Protege provided above, Aceves’s 8.4 ID/IOT ratio and Hughes’s 10.75 ID/IOT ratio are much better than Joba’s inflated 17.4 ID/IOT ratio or Burnett’s respectable but still subpar 15.9 ID/IOT ratio.

I have no choice but to concur: Hughes and Aceves belong in the rotation; Joba and Burnett belong in the bullpen where their diminished mental faculties will be less of a problem.

• Mike HC says:

Perfect. ID/IOT is genius. I will now us an ID/IOT stat for all my analysis.

This goes perfectly with the stat I have been developing for relievers. CRUD. Crowd Reactions Upon Dominance. It measures how much the reliever is able to get the crowd in a frenzy when he enters the game and/or for performance. The higher percentage of CRUD, the better the reliever is.

Just look here.

Joba had a CRUD rating of 95%. While Hughes only sat at 67%. David Robertson sat only at a 5%. He should probably be sent to the minors, as he is clearly not ready for the major leagues.

9. Steve H says:

I’m a 9.

4.5 for each side of the plate Curtis Granderson hits from.

/pistol pete’d

10. Riddering says:

I’m going to be sincere and authentic in my comment this morning. This team is the balls and just seeing a game schedule to begin this post made me fall to my knees so I could thank the good Mo that baseball is back.

11. Templeton "Brendog" Peck says:

because the games start soon i am so pumped i am at a 9. high for me.

anyone going to the jays game sat?

12. Mike Pop says:

Nine. The current roster construction is the best in the majors, but the farm system could be better and is what’s keeping me from a 10.

Once Burnett has his first dominate start in spring training, I’ll be back to a 10.

• Tom Zig says:

Burnett went to winter intersession to get his mental faculties up. We’ll see good AJ all year this year.

13. bexarama says:

9 – because falling for that scout thing has made me perhaps slightly more wary than I should be. Yankees are the tits though.