Mar

Fan Confidence Poll: March 8th, 2010

Record Last Week: 1-4 (16 RS, 38 RA)
Spring Training Record: 1-4 (16 RS, 38 RA)
Schedule This Week: vs. Phillies (Mon., split squad), @ Pirates (Mon., split squad), vs. Pirates (Tues.) @ Tigers (Weds.) vs. Braves (Thurs.), @ Nationals (Fri.), @ Tigers (Sat., split squad), vs. Orioles (Sat., split squad), @ Pirates (Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. pete says:

clearly the yanks are doomed b/c of the A-Rod Galea thing

2. Evilest Empire says:

I voted 1. Would’ve voted minus 11 if I could have. 1-4 in the first 5 ST games, WE IS ALL GONNA DIE!!!

3. JGS says:

They had Kei Igawa in the game yesterday, that shows how desperate they are

4. Steve H says:

5 people voted 1, 2, or 3?

They should be tarred and feathered.

• AJ says:

How dare anyone be pessimistic!

• Voting a 6 or a 7 would be “pessimistic”.

Voting a 1, 2, or 3 is batshit insane. Nick Johnson had an innocuous tweak and our backup catcher got bonked on the head. It didn’t instantly turn us into the Kansas City Royals.

• Riddering says:

That’s what I get for sitting on a comment to get a cup of coffee. You say the exact same thing.

• Mike HC says:

I can see someone voting a 1, maybe a 2. If they hate the Yankees, but read this site for some reason, then I could see that vote.

But the real head scratchers to me are the 3′s and 4′s (not sure if there any 4′s yet in this poll, and maybe even the 5′s. I mean, if you are not just completely shitting on the team and voting a one or two, what is the justification for a 3,4 or 5? What reasonable person would sit there, not give a troll vote, and come to the conclusion they are more pessimistic than optimistic about the team? That just seems odd to me.

• Riddering says:

This a fan confidence poll for the New York Yankees–not the Kansas City Royals. Voting that low is a sign of mental instability rather than pessimism.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

So if a pessimistic Yankee fan has 0 confidence in his team what would a pessimistic Royals fan vote? -1000?

• Riddering says:

Pessmistic Royals fans are probably more reasonable than pessmistic Yankees fans. Their expectations have been tested by the fires of anguish and have come out more realistic, I’d guess.

5. Accent Shallow says:

Staying with an 8, mostly due to future and farm system concerns. Team is well built to compete in 2010.

• pete says:

I’d say it’s well built to compete for the next several years, but considering the fact that the red sox are the second best team in MLB by a good amount, and the rays arguably the third, and the O’s are probably above average, talent-wise, and bound to only improve over the next half decade, I have plenty of concern about the rising level of competition. But since I really can’t see any flaws in the Yanks’ team itself, just comparable strengths on other squads, it’s hard for me to fault the yanks on that one. I voted a 9 because I think they appear to be an elite (i.e. top 3/4 in MLB in terms of talent/player production, not necessarily record) team going forward for the next several years at least, and the FO has given me confidence that it will handle future problems well.

• pete says:

can’t really argue with an 8 though. Anything lower would be pretty dumb, but an 8 is within the limits of reason

6. Doug says:

Amazing how people overreact to spring results. Average poll rating currently stands at 8.09. This would be the worst (by far) this offseason.

7. JohnC says:

If nothing else, Mitre is boosting his trade value if he doesn’t make the team, so the Yanks are in a can’t lose situation with him.

8. I am voting 1, since the signing of JVB displays weakness.

Panic.

9. AJ says:

I’m sorry if this is unrelated, but what are the rules about putting a player on the DL if he’s hurt in spring training? Does the team have to wait until the first game of the regular season or can they put any player on the DL at any time?

• JGS says:

there is no 25-man or 40-man roster during spring training, so there is no point in putting someone on the DL until the season starts.

10. Mike HC says:

10, as I have been since the Yanks were in the playoffs last year. They almost definitely have the brightest future of any team in baseball. While that alone should not put them at a 10, or maybe it should, the team has enough top end young talent (Joba, Phil, Montero), plus guys who should still be in their primes for the next 5 years (Granderson, Swisher, Cano, Teix, and CC), along with the wily veterans who are still performing at a high level (Jeter, Jorge, Javy, A-Rod, AJ, Pettitte and Mo).

I love the balance and can’t imagine how the future could look any brighter

• whozat says:

Jeter and Mo could be 30 again. The consensus could be that Montero will stick at catcher forever, instead of the opposite.

I feel that it’s kind of putting one’s head in the sand to not even acknowledge that, at this time next year, the Yanks could be in the awful position of having their starting catcher, SS and closer go down with completely predictable old-man injuries, since they’ll be 39, 37 and 41.

It’s unlikely that they’ll all go down at once, to be true, but…the fact that they’re very old at several key positions should at least give you some pause, no?

• Mike HC says:

I don’t think a 10 means perfect. If 10 meant perfect, then nothing should ever be a 10. But I think a 10 means as good as can be reasonably expected. Which is where I think this team is.

• I love the balance and can’t imagine how the future could look any brighter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY (safe)

11. Riddering says:

I’m a 5 until the Yankees are over .500 again. Is this the team that won the World Series last year? Just atrocious.

12. Arman Tamzarian says:

9, I’m curious as to what the Yankees farm system can yield to support the big club this year. As opposed to two to three years ago, where the farm system started to produce players, it seems this year,Spring Training is littered with players who have a legitimate shot at providing depth and support this year, and the next few. Maybe I’m just getting caught up in the hype, but it seems the system is developing legit impact depth where the Yankees need it.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I haven’t heard mention of a single umpire being throughly impressed with any of the Yankee minor leaguers.

13. Bob Stone says:

Nine again this week. No reason to change it.