Mar

Link dump: Dead money, regressing starters, standing room

Some lunch time links while we make you wait another two hours for something on the fifth starter situation.

The Mets are shopping Gary Matthews Jr.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Teams that are paying money to other teams

At FanGraphs, Steve Sommer takes a look at teams that are sending 10 percent or more of their overall payroll to other teams. The Blue Jays lead the way at $16 million, or 23 percent of their payroll. In pure dollar terms, though, the Dodgers are paying out the most, $16.6 million. You can check out the whole list here. The Yankees are only shelling out $4.5 million in that regard, a mere 2 percent of overall payroll.

The year-after effect for young starters

At ESPN’s TMI blog, Tango examines young pitchers who break out and then regress the following year. Clayton Kershaw, Jair Jurrjens, Tommy Hanson, and Felix Hernandez qualify this year, and Tango warns that they could regress just like their predecessors. Check out the accompanying table for more recent examples. Also keep this in mind when you think about Joba Chamberlain. He pitched excellently in the rotation in 2008, but pitched markedly worse in 2009. To that end, Zack Greinke had a 5.80 ERA in the season following his breakout, in which he posted a 3.97 ERA.

Does wOBA undervalue Ichiro?

Jeff Sullivan at Lookout landing takes on the question and makes many fine points. To my mind, this is the best way to argue with stats. To categorically dismiss them is foolish. We can learn plenty by a player’s results. We can learn a lot more by thinking, in specific terms, what the stat might not be telling us.

Everything you need to know about Standing Room Only tickets

Ross at NYY Stadium Insider writes at length about the Standing Room Only tickets the Yankees have offered for the 2010 season. If you’re thinking about getting these slightly cheaper tickets, definitely read over his post.

Other links

I found a lot worth reading, so…

Categories : Links

1. Rick in Boston says:

I’m having a brain fart right now. Who are the Yankees paying for? Melky?

• Mike Axisa says:

$5K for Melky, $4M for the Kei-man. It’s dead money, meaning money paid to players not the 40-man. Not necessary just money paid to player on other teams.

• Rick in Boston says:

Gotcha. Thanks Mike.

Good to see Julio Lugo still haunting Theo.

• Hey ZZ says:

It says only 3.35 million for the Red Sox. I thought they owe Lugo his full salary.

• There’s a big difference between the Sox continuing to pay Lugo and us continuing to pay Igawa, however.

There’s a possibility (remote, sure, but still extant) that Igawa can still contribute to our ballclub. Lugo cannot.

Listing them both as “dead money” seems fair, but listing them both as “money paid to players on other teams’ rosters” as FG does is wrong.

• rbizzler says:

Agreed. It is a little misleading to say the least.

Plus Kei indirectly helps the by teaching young pitchers how to handle yourself in the face of continued adversity and disappointment (I kid).

• Bo says:

Lugo helps them by not playing there.

Same as Igawa helps the Yanks

• JGS says:

Lugo hit .284/.352/.367 for the Sox before they cut him. That is significantly better than any of his replacements did, and not much worse than Scutaro will do

• bexarama says:

will this happen to Gaudin if no team takes him off waivers?

• Rick in Boston says:

According to the way FG does their calculations, yes. But I agree with TSJC – the way they do the calculations is misleading.

• (investigates)

The Fangraphs number of 4.5M we’re paying to “other teams” is bullshit (or at least, not properly stated).

They’re sourcing Cot’s Contracts. Check out how Cots generated it’s number:

# 2010 payroll obligations for former players:
      * $ 4,000,000 (Kei Igawa) (plus $4M in 2011)
      * $ 500,000 (Melky Cabrera)

“Former players” and “Players playing for other teams” and “Players no longer on the 40-man” are not equitable concepts.

Our number shouldn’t be 4.5M, it should be 0.5M. Kei Igawa is not a “former player”, nor is he playing for another organization.

• ROBTEN says:

Or maybe they’re secretly letting us know that the Yankees pulled a Beatles circa 1966 and that the guy playing in Scranton really isn’t Kei Igawa, but a look-alike and pitch-alike replacement.

/the walrus’d

2. bexarama says:

so so so because last year was a regression year does this mean Joba is gonna post like a 3.01 ERA this year?!?!?

Also, your commentary on the first item is a thing of beauty. Good thing Reyes is coming back…

3. From the Mets/Matthews Sherman article:

One other note on the Mets and center field: There have been a lot of calls for them to put Fernando Martinez there. But Mets officials privately do not feel he can handle the position any longer. If he could then they certainly would put him there. It would serve them best. Not only because he would be a strong option while Beltran is gone, but also because he would increase his value for a potential trade if Martinez showed he could still play center field at least adequately.

That’s just sad. F-Mart can’t play CF? Already?

Man, that team is chronically screwed.

• Jose says:

It seems like some kind of sick joke. He has been playing there in the Mets system since he was 17. With Beltran out they should definitely stick him in there and see what comes out.

4. Johnny says:

Whats funny about the Mets trying to trade Gary Mathews Jr.?

They aren’t paying him anything… The Angels had to swallow most of that contract. The Mets could simply release him if they want…

5. A.D. says:

Given that the Mets didn’t get a deal for Matthews, how is he more valuable now….

6. Will (the other one) says:

Joe’s comment underneath the GMJ article may be my favorite thing EVAH.

7. ROBTEN says:

“It’s just some rubber and that little disc,” Manuel said. “I don’t feel anything, no. But you never know. When I was a hitting coach, if a guy thought he was having success because of something, I didn’t say anything. Let him think it.”

Hmmm…no?

I know that a lot of people would say that its fine if it doesn’t hurt anyone, but a little less superstition and “fuzzy” thinking would be nice.

/Apply directly to the forehead’d

8. Kiersten says:

Damnnnn… that catch. Wow, too bad it was just during ST.

9. pat says:

As some of you may know, Yankee farmhand Kyle Anson retired a few weeks ago. Wat we don’t know is why. Well, it’s not because Romine, Montero, Cervelli, Rivera and Pilittere are ahead of him on the depth charts. It’s not because of his career .706 OPS.

It’s because he hates Tony Franklin’s guts.

“He took the fun out of things for me,” Anson continued. “When baseball’s not fun for me anymore, then it’s time to do something else. “I didn’t enjoy playing for Tony Franklin whatsoever,” Anson said yesterday. “When I found out he was returning, I took it as a sign from God.”

• steve s says:

How about he was 26 and wasn’t even a mediocre Double A player. He should have just retired and said nothing instead of burning his Yankee bridges. Dumb.

• YankeesJunkie says:

So is the Yankees farm dead now, I mean Anson was the best 10th catcher ever!!!

10. mustang says:

Thank you so much for the piece on the “Standing Room Only tickets”. I purchased standing room only tickets online for one of the Mets games and I had no idea what the set-up was there was no information on it at the Yankees site.
    Again another “wonderful” job by the Yankees tickets office on keeping their fans informed and satisfy with their purchase.

Great help thank you again.

11. Bob C says:

pretty sure that catch by ichiro was set up by a bad jump… looks cool but really not a great play

12. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

Heh…using their logic I’m surprised we don’t have to include luxury tax too…

13. Mammafarded says:

Oh…. Sports .. lol.
    Nice link farm you got there .

14. Hi,this is an excellent article,I found it on yahoo and I appreciate it very much,I agree with what you have said, it help me a lot in decision,but I am not follw well with the last part,can you explain it for me ?I will appreciate your answer,and I will keep on watching your blog