Mar

Open Thread: Best Buds

Apparently Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez are buddies again. Sure, they had a fine working relationship before, smiling on the field and being amiable towards each other off it, but deep down the Captain always held a bit of a grudge ever since A-Rod trashed him in Esquire nearly a decade ago. Well, apparently it’s all hugs and handpounds between the two now, because they commuted to work together yesterday. Yep, they carpooled. If that doesn’t signify the end of Jeter’s long-standing grudge, then I don’t know what does.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. The Isles are the only local team in action, so go ahead and talk about whatever you want.

Photo Credit: Gene J. Puskar, AP

Categories : Open Thread

1. Just a reminder, Operation Shutdown is still in effect. To raise morale, TSJC has provided this graphic:

• I feel as if I’ve missed something. Again. Goddamn you, internship!

• pete says:

ironic, isn’t it?

• But I’m assuming it’s a directive to not feed the trolls?

• Yes. Specifically, the Jake/Michael name-hopping creation of ludicrousness, but feel free to put whomever else exhibits unrepentant batshit insanity into the Operation: SHUTDOWN program.

Derek Bell was a man of true genius.

• bexarama says:

Yeah, I just reread that thread about Javy and Jake and Michael, minus the fact that Jake looooves Paul O’Neill and Michael thinks he was trash, definitely write very similarly. Plus the IP thing.

But sure. Operation: SHUTDOWN.

• Awesome. Can we add LGSB to that list as well?

• Thomas says:

To sum up Derek Bell in a few words it would be: Even when Derek Bell sucked, he still so awesome that he didn’t suck.

• Accent Shallow says:

Is Michael really a troll? Granted, I haven’t kept totally up with the threads, but while his opinions aren’t necessarily in lockstep with the rest of us, he at least seems willing to listen to reason.

• he at least seems willing to listen to reason.

Are we talking about the same Michael? He doesn’t listen to reason at all. Reason and Jake/Michael are mutually exclusive.

That being said, I agree, Jake/Michael is not technically a “troll” as he’s not flaming shit simply to bring attention to himself. I think he genuinely believes what he thinks.

He’s still getting the Derek Bell Special, though, because he’s just incredibly ignorant about everything and won’t ever listen to rational arguments or back up his crazy positions with any type of intelligent defense. You can’t argue with someone who uses nothing but intractable emotion and false narrative as the basis of his system of thought.

• Rob D. says:

I rarely post here, but the whole Vazquez discussion was making me angry. I found Michael to be far more annoying than the common troll, mostly because of his complete refusal to listen to what anyone was saying. The entire argument went something like this:

Rational Poster: Evidence, facts, statistics, interesting point to consider
                Michael: But he sucked in 2004
                Rational Poster: More facts and evidence
                Michel: He sucks in big markets

And that was it. I think those were the only two points he raised the entire time. There’s no point in having a discussion with someone like that.

• Exactly.

The point of Operation: SHUTDOWN isn’t to stop talking to “trolls”. We already ignore trolls, by and large.

The point of Operation: SHUTDOWN is to stop talking to the intractably irrational and the terminally ignorant, be they attention-seeking trolling fans of other teams or garden-variety salt-of-the-earth Yankee fans who are incapable of engaging in honest give-and-take intellectual debate.

• ROBTEN says:

Yup. No more troll feeding.

Here’s the discussion from the other day (explains “operation shutdown”):

• donttradecano says:

tell me about it my internship is killing me both money and timewise

• Mine pays for my tuition, which is pretty awesome. But, I have to deal with bratty middle schoolers from 7-2 all day.

• donttradecano says:

mine pays me nothing and i have to deal with bratty islander fans

• Steve in PDX says:

I pay for my internship, and my tuition. and i still have the bratty middle schoolers :(

• Rob D. says:

My student teaching time was one of the worst 4 month periods of my life. One of my supervising teachers spent most of our lunch periods telling me why teaching is such a horrible profession.

• She was right. You should have listened to her.

• Rob D. says:

It was more fun to get indignant and complain about it behind her back all the while thinking that I knew better.

She was right, though. It’s all about bratty kids and brattier parents.

• I work in media and cover a lot of BOE meetings. So, unfortunately, I also have to deal with a lot of parents, teachers and administrators.

The parents are unquestionably the most irrational, self-interested people in the room. Their little snowflake can do no wrong and damn it, if things don’t go their way, they’ll fucking sue you! Seriously.

Of course, many teachers tire of the inane protocols, teacher mandates, standardized testing, bureaucratic posturing, spoiled and insolent children. And then, of course, the often adversarial relationship they have with the parents.

Finally, we have the administrators. They’re more interested in hiring “curriculum directors”, playing politics, and artificially boosting scores than they are in actually educating.

A lot of characters in this tragicomedy.

• flashing007 says:

As a teacher I’ve got a couple things for consideration:

1) Rob D. I hope you’re now teaching somewhere and enjoying it. Avoid the negative energy…there is a lot of it in this world, especially in the field of education. Teaching is a ton of work and the kids can be difficult. Find a good school with excellent fellow teachers and administrators and life will be good. First year (I’m in year 2) is hard no matter where you are (forgive me if you’re more experienced).

2) JMK…board meetings are terrible. It’s a no win situation for everyone involved, no matter how good a district you’re covering right now. The economy is terrible so tensions are high and money has to be cut. It sucks and this comes out in no more clearly and often very negatively in the board meetings. No matter how wealthy a school system is, a town is, or how qualified any board member, school teacher, or administrator is there is no avoiding this. Everyone also have their own agenda…there is pluses and minuses to this and unfortunately tough decision have to be made. I could probably make a pretty good case that BOE meetings are the worst place to actually learn what goes on in K-12 classrooms, but the best place to learn where a communities priorities are.

I might be way off, but when I first read this it sounded like you guys were frustrated with teaching and school in general. Its tough now and unfortunately there are a ton of crappy people in all positions of education that make the whole system look bad for everyone involved. That there are still really good places where administrators support their highly-qualified (sorry for the NCLB reference) staff. I’m in one…thats not to say we don’t have our problems and all the stuff you guys reference above though too.

• With respect, I’m not necessarily frustrated with teaching and school on a personal, micro level. On a macro (the system as a whole in the U.S. is so poorly conceived and executed), yes, I’m quite peeved.

As in any business, there are excellent people and atrocious excuses for humans. Mostly though, it’s people in the middle to varying degrees. However, I see shortcomings that are easily avoidable; they’re not all attributed to politicking or budget issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I was definitely generalizing, so it’s not a full, accurate observation of the happenings at school. If it came off that way, apologies.

The budget cuts in the towns of my area (Bergen County) are fairly minimal—generally less than 4% of expenditure. Those are largely State aid funds that often go to transportation, Special Ed., and other fairly small parts of the budget. The overall budget is generally locked into contracts and benefits. It’s subject to the economy to some degree, but again, it’s a small drop in a big bucket. Taxes also cannot be raised over a certain percentage to offset deficits. However, in many other places, it’s a huge, huge problem. Many teachers are unfortunately caught in the crossfire.

The district I cover is the very one I attended as a child. It’s a district that performs well, boasting many capable, qualified people in positions they should be in. That doesn’t excuse the shortcomings (although I recognize all have their own agendas). I agree that BOE meetings don’t tell the whole story. However, a good friend of mine is a teacher in the district, I babysit for neighbors’ kids occasionally, and I attend the meetings, in addition to being a taxpayer of the town. I’m well informed.

Finally, as a parting note, the teacher unions are as responsible for some of these issues as the politicians, angry and foolish parents, and the administrators. There’s all sorts of blame to go around.

• flashing007 says:

You make some great arguments and I think were on the same page and probably would agree on quite a few things.

You hit the nail on the head with the “atrocious excuse for humans” comment. People involved with education get a lot of flack, but it seems like many fail to realize its people who just do a terrible job that bring on much of the questioning. The same things that make the teachers union helpful (like any union) are a big cause of this problem.

It be great if everyone (myself included) were as informed as you are…it would only help ensure the best decisions are likely to be made.

• pete says:

just one question: what is operation shutdown? it sounds like some kind of exclusive RAB meme to me (hehe)

• Is that an orange jumpsuit? When did Derek Bell go to prison?

• Riddering says:

But I wanted to keep beating my head against a brick wall until things got bloody!

(No, I really didn’t.)

2. Inspired by the comment I left on another thread:

I named my fantasy team “JesusMo&JoeDiMaggio”

What’d you name yours?

3. donttradecano says:

Uconn gets blown out the garden by St Johns. Who saw that coming?

4. bexarama says:

I would just like to let Jose know, if he is out there, that I thought of that “the cocaine snorting of the Keith Hernandezes and Doc Goodens has been replaced by the injuries of the Jose Reyeses and Carlos Beltrans” at random points today and I COULD NOT STOP LAUGHING and I have no idea why. I dare say it is funnier than “drfat.”

5. T-Dubs says:

Any sweet iPhone apps (preferably free) that I need. Just got it this weekend.

6. Riddering says:

I thought the Intangibles/MoneyHoney feud was settled in 2008 when A-Rod told Francesa during spring training that he and Jeter were in a second honeymoon and then kissed the Captain’s ass by suggesting an MVP season?

• bexarama says:

A-Rod frequently suggests guys on his own team are the MVP; he did it all the time with Teixeira last season.* OMG he’s such a bad teammate!!!!

* I realized what this sentence looked like out of context, considered re-writing it, and then did not.

• Riddering says:

This one was pretty specific and took place in the pre-season. Actually, A-Rod was pretty much on the money with Jeter. He pointed to Jeter’s new workouts to improve his quickness at short in suggesting that he’d have an MVP year. He was a year too early but still accurate.

• Mike HC says:

Jeter does not strike me like a guy who holds a grudge, especially for a comment as innocent as the one A-Rod made. It was a small, competitive dig at Jeter as a player. It was nothing really that personal, or vicious that Jeter could not have forgiven him, or gotten a little fun revenge in private to even it up.

7. So FWIW the Hurt Locker is intense shit.

I’m now going to remedy that with a good old disaster movie, 2012.

8. Halladay vs. Heyward. Coming Up Soon.

9. Pittsburgh: Competing for a job and “Operation Shutdown”

In spring training 2002, while with the Pirates, Bell, who had hit .173 the previous season, did not feel that he needed to prove he was worthy of a starting job.

On March 18, Bell told reporters:

“Nobody told me I was in competition. If there is competition, somebody better let me know. If there is competition, they better eliminate me out of the race and go ahead and do what they’re going to do with me. I ain’t never hit in spring training and I never will. If it ain’t settled with me out there, then they can trade me. I ain’t going out there to hurt myself in spring training battling for a job. If it is [a competition], then I’m going into ‘Operation Shutdown.’ Tell them exactly what I said. I haven’t competed for a job since 1991.”

Bell jumped the team on March 29, was released on March 31, and never played in the majors again. The Pirates ended up paying him $4.5 million not to play for them.

We have our answer, for all who were wondering. How guys like him and Pavano don’t get arrested for grand larceny is beyond me.

10. Steve H says:

So a while back I was watching an old LLWS game on ESPN Classic, and on the same team were Derek Bell and Gary Sheffield. Can you imagine the shit their coach went thru?

11. VO says:

What did A-Rod even say exactly? I have seem to forgotten.

12. Brooklyn Ed says:

just finished drafting my team for this year’s fantasy basbeball. let me know what you guys think..

C: Jorge Posada
    1B: Justin Morneau
    2B: Aaron Hill
    3B: David Wright
    SS: Asdrubal Cabrera
    OF: Chris Coghlan, Hunter Pence, Nolan Reimold, Franklin Gutierrez, and Michael Cuddyer

P: Roy Halladay, Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Josh Johnson, Rick Porcello Chris Tillman, and Jair Jurrjens.

How I got the best pitchers in the league? I was going to draft Lincecum but the guy before me got him, so I wind up Halladay. I got no idea, people were just drafting players like A-Rod and Derek Lee.

13. CS Yankee says:

Throw in Bonds on that LLWS team and the coach would of just rolled out the baseballs and headed to the tavern.

14. I’m sick of Gerard Butler.

15. Thomas Jones signs with the Chiefs. I actually like this move for the Jets; Kansas City was looking at Justin Fargas, whom I’d love to add as the third RB in our ground attack.

Swapping Jones for Fargas is akin to swapping Damon for Granderson.

/analogy’d

16. Drew says:

Night time Spring baseball? Heyward’s due up on mlb network.

17. Vinny the Bull says:

Of course A-Rod and Jeter carpooled. They probably didn’t know any of the younger guys they were playing with.

18. Christos says:

I got my first job today!

19. bexarama says:

ATTENTION EVERYONE: my mom just said Cody Ransom was “good”

• Longtime Yankees executive Mark Newman was arrested and charged with driving under the influence Monday night, according to the Hillsborough County Sherriff’s Office.

Newman, in his 11th season as the Yankees’ senior vice president of baseball operations, refused to take a blood-alcohol test, according to the arrest inquiry.

“We were informed that Mark Newman was arrested last night on suspicion of driving under the influence,” the Yankees said last night in a statement. “The New York Yankees do not condone this kind of behavior. We take this situation seriously and we are looking into the matter. We will have no further comment at this time.”

The report said Newman, 60, was released Tuesdayon $500 bail.

The arrest was first reported by The Associated Press.

According to the inquiry, Newman was pulled over at 10:56 p.m. near the corner of Hudson Lane and North Dale Mabry Highway, about five miles from his office at George M. Steinbrenner Field and just over a mile from his home.

Can you say ‘Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations Kevin Towers’??

20. Hughesus Christo says:

Man, AJax is blowing up right now. He’s going to make me hate Granderson.

21. Prediction: Joe will post the Newman news and not have the decency to give me a (h/t). Bastard.

(*bangs fist*)

DAMN YOU, PAWLIKOWSKI!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELLllllllllllll…

22. Hughesus Christo says:

Hey TSJC,

Remember when I said Jimmy Clausen got by with poor vision/composure and questionable accuracy because Golden Tate and Michael Floyd are ridiculous?

Boom, bazooka joe. Kind of.

23. Has anyone else been watching Southland? If so, thoughts?

24. New “A couple of days into free agency” on the spot Mock Draft:

1-STL: QB Sam Bradford
    2-DET: DT Gerald McCoy
    3-TB: DT Ndamukong Suh
    4-WAS: FS Eric Berry
    5-KC: T Russell Okung
    6-SEA: QB Jimmy Clausen
    7-CLE: DE/OLB Jason Pierre-Paul
    8-OAK: CB Joe Haden
    9-BUF: T Anthony Davis
    10-JAX: WR Dez Bryant
    11-DEN: LB Rolando McClain
    12-MIA: NT Dan Williams
    13-SF: DE Derrick Morgan
    14-SEA: traded to DEN for B.Marshall: T Bruce Campbell (BOOM)
    15-NYG: LB Sergio Kindle
    16-TEN: DT Brian Price
    17-SF: HB C.J. Spiller (BOOM)
    18-PIT: G Mike Iupati
    19-ATL: S Taylor Mays (BOOM)
    20-HOU: S Earl Thomas
    21-CIN: DE/OLB Everson Griffen
    22-NE: DE/OLB Brandon Graham
    23-GB: T Trent Williams
    24-PHI: LB Sean Witherspoon
    25-BAL: CB Kareem Jackson
    26-AZ: DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
    27-DAL: T Bryan Bulaga
    28-SD: RB Ryan Matthews
    29-NYJ: WR Arrelious Benn
    30-MIN: CB Kyle Wilson
    31-IND: DT Jared Odrick
    32-NO: DE Carlos Dunlap

25. Steve H says:

Question for the Jets fans.

Marques Murrell strictly a special teamer, or does he have any (ridiculous) upside as a pass rushing LB?

26. YankeesJunkie says:

It sounds like there are a lot more Jets fans on this board, however, isn’t NY a Giants sort of city or am I mistaken.

27. Evan says:

Be in awe of my omelette (or not): http://twitpic.com/17nera

28. warren says:

By Mike Axisa in Open Thread. Tags: Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter · Comments (258) ·
    ______________

Whoa – 258 responses

• Jose says:

You should come here on a game day. They’ll have threads with 400+ comments, multiple times.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Yeah things are slow since it’s only ST but things get really active during the season and the early stages in the offseason.

There was like 1000 comments on one rumor that was simply “Yankees adding SP tonight.”

29. bexarama says:

So I was looking at Fangraphs’ article about the playoff odds for teams (FANS projections) and… there’s a chance Orioles are gonna win the division/the Wild Card? They’ll be better this year. In a few years, maybe even as soon as next year, they’ll be downright good. But right now, no way they’re better than the Yankees, Red Sox, or Rays. Sure, they could get lucky and more than one of those teams could suffer awful injuries and collapse (plz make this happen to the Sox and Rays, thanks). It just seems like something that’s not likely to happen.

There’s a 6% chance the Royals are gonna win the AL Central? I know it’s the AL Central, but…

• Anything is possible.

/Garnett’d

• 6% is very low. It’s not like they’re the ’63 Mets, 6% seems fine to me.

• Going to agree with Mondesi. 6% is a very fair expectation.

• We’re also apparently complaining about the O’s being given a 1% chance of winning the division here. I’m not sure I can get too worked up about either the Baltimore or the KC odds, I think this is a bit of ado about nothing.

• bexarama says:

I’m not complaining at all. I’m just “hmmm”ing and/or being amused.

• Ok…

“We’re also apparently complaining hmmm’ing and being amused about the O’s being given a 1% chance of winning the division here. I’m not sure I can get too worked up about either the Baltimore or the KC odds, I think this is a bit of ado about nothing.”

I don’t mean to make a big deal about it or anything… But it’s a ONE PERCENT CHANCE. Later in your comment, you said: “It just seems like something that’s not likely to happen.” I’m pretty certain that the people who gave the O’s a one percent chance of winning the division would agree with you that it’s something that’s not likely to happen. I’m just not even sure what we’re hmmm’ing about or being amused about.

• None of the early odds predictions are worth getting worked up over. I didn’t necessarily agree with the thrice-released PECOTA rankings, but it’s nothing worth shaking one’s fist over.

The Yankees will only win 92 games? WTF? Only 94? 97? Oh, that’s better. Any team has a ceiling and a floor. The Yankees absolute floor is probably 80 games. That would require unbelievable regression to established players along with major season-ending injuries. The Yankees’ chances barring that, of winning the division, are fairly high. But their competition is unbelievably good. It’s totally possible that some underperforming and a big injury could doom them to 3rd. There so many possibilities. As they say, that’s why they play the games.

A team like Kansas City, even with career years across the board is probably 85 games. Their lineup would require Butler, Callapso, Gordon, DeJesus all to be 115 OPS+ hitters, along with at least league-average production from their #2-5 starters. Could they win the division if this happens? Yeah, but it’s probably about a 6% chance.

Really, any number that law is subject to tremendous variance; it’s still moot. Do the Orioles odds of winning the division at 8% make a tremendous difference from 1%? I don’t think so, but hey, my understanding of statistics is fairly limited.

Not sure why I took the time to write all of this nonsense.

• bexarama says:

Well-put.

Again, though: I wasn’t complaining, whining, or shaking my fist. I do that about a lot of things, but if I came off like that here, that’s not what I meant. I was just pretty much going “hmm.” And really, for me, there’s no better place to go “hmm” about baseball stuff than here. My friends who love baseball are mostly Mets and Red Sox fans who have never heard of Fangraphs. That’s about it.

• bexarama says:

Yessir.

Heh, look at the WC odds for non-AL East teams. Ouch.

30. Steve H says:

Matt Cain less K/9 last year than Barry Zito.

That’s scary. I know a lot of people have speculated that Cain is a future ace, and could be a great pitcher in the AL, but I have my doubts. Take him out of that home park, as well as that division, I don’t think he’s too much better than league average.

• Some career Cain numbers:

Home: .224/.301/.363/.665 SO/BB= 1.99 BAbip: .262
      Away: .240/.317/.381/.698 SO/BB= 2.21 BAbip: .289 (!)

Last season saw his K-rate at a career low (7.1). It’s probably closer to 7.5-8.0. Even so, he had 83 strikeouts in 430 PAs in away games. In contrast, 88 strikeouts in 409 PAs at home.

He’s a good pitcher; it’s not the park.

• Oh, and Zito’s 7.2 k-rate was his highest since 2001.

• Steve H says:

Also in the NL West he gets to pitch in Petco and Dodger stadium. He’s good, but how would he translate to the AL East? I don’t think he’d be great, certainly not a #1 or #2 guy. He has been strong in interleague play, but a relatively SSS. Would I want to see him in a Yankee uniform down the road? Sure, but not if the cost is too exorbitant.

• Well, I think his actual “stuff” translates. I can’t tell you why his k-rate was that low (though his BB rate was also really low) considering his array of plus pitches, but if 2009 is an indication, he’s definitely a good #2 in the AL East. I’m willing to say the 7.1 will be a bit of an outlier. Not a large enough sample to say (four full seasons).

Yeah, it’s concerning, but if his walks are low, his k-rate is somewhere in the mid-7s, and his contact rates are relatively similar, he’s definitely a guy that can pitch around the top of the rotation. Maybe not an ace, but not far off.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Cain’s K’s rate is not that far off his career average. He defitnely has good stuff, however in the AL East he may only strike out 6-6.5 K/9. Also, his FIP has been higher than his true ERA. I think he might be closer to a #3 starter in the AL.

31. Stryker says:

does anyone else see the humongous YES banner on the top of the page now?