Mar

Open Thread: Gere’d up

With Richard Gere in full uniform as the honorary manager today, the Yankees took care of business and punished a few Double-A pitchers the Tigers sacrificed to the baseball gods. The Yanks had drawn eight walks by the time the rain really picked up and I stopped watching in the fourth. Nick Johnson drew two of those walks in a six run first inning, and Robbie Cano did a great job out of the fifth spot with a knock and a few steaks. Here’s the box score.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. Most of the RAB Fantasy Baseball Leagues are drafting this evening, so feel free to mention your picks in the comments if you’re drafting tonight. I’ll have all my picks on Twitter, so you can follow my madness there. Otherwise you got the Devils and the end of Baylor-Duke to keep you occupied. Enjoy.

Photo Credit: Mike Carlson, AP

Categories : Open Thread

1. Caption that photo

Johnny Damon-”Rich, I tried that thing with the mouse you told me about. Do you think it would work with a ferret?”

• Rob NY says:

Damon: “Hey guys I know I’m not a Yankee or anything but can’t you get me one of those sweet uniforms like Richard Gere has? Rich can you give me yours?”

• Johnny Damon-”Rich, I’ve got this great idea for a movie. It’s a about a little boy with a stuttering problem who grows up to be a MLB player and marries a stripper.”

2. JobaWockeeZ says:

Apparently according to Cashmoney the future of Joba hasn’t been decided yet when discussing the opnions of Eppler.

As a gut reaction to all this I was even debating if Epstein and his crew are actually deserving of the hype they get.

• That’s not surprising coming from Cashman. He always says things like ‘so much can happen between now and then’ and that’s what he was saying there. But two of the guys who may have the most input, the pitching coach and the director of pro scouts, both made it pretty clear today where they stand. A GM will usually rely on his guys to give him a recommendation, and then make the final decision himself.

Maybe saying “the debate is over” is going too far, but it still looks like Joba will stay in the pen, unless things dramatically change.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

He’ll stay in the pen indefinitely in 2010. Not sure about 2011.

• Yeah, you can draw up scenarios where it happens:

-Cliff Lee gets badly hurt and Andy retires

-Hughes bombs out as a starter

-Vasquez is bad here and Andy retires

I’m sure people can think of some others as well. All possible, not sure how likely they are. Put it this way, if everyone pitches to the back of their baseball card or thereabouts, he’s in the bullpen.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Let’s say Hughes has a 2009 Joba season. Perhaps better but not significantly. He built up innings so he’s good for around 200 and so should Joba.

Andy retires. Javy is re-upped. Do you go for Lee or let Joba start? They have to resign Mo and Jeter as well. Plus if Gardner sucks it up there’s Werth and Crawford out there.

Honestly Joba starting really helps this team.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Sigh formatting fail.

• I go for Lee as long as he’s healthy. Joba isn’t a consideration one way or the other. I’ll worry about having too many pitchers instead of not enough.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Well it depends on how much Javy costs. If you are giving Vazuqez 3+ years and 13+M, I cant see them having 4 pitchers on the wrong side of 30 signed for at least 13M and at least another 3 years.

Steve, about your statement the debate is over, I wonder what you thought of this reading of the tea leaves: Cashman has been fighting a group inside the org about Joba, which is something that we know already. As he struggles at the end of 2009 and in ST, that group grows, and when the choice comes to Joba-Hughes, Cashman finally gives in and agrees that it should be Hughes. The B-Jobbers in the org believe they have won and the debate is over, but Cashman is more in “wait and see” mode, considering some of the circumstances you outlined (Hughes failing, the free agents option or Javy/Andy not working out). Fair?

• Possible, even plausible, but Brian is always in wait and see mode. He should be doing Lotto commercials, because his answer to everything is “Hey, you never know”.

3. bexarama says:

so I found this, and I know it’s from a while ago:
    I just thought it was really interesting. What players would you pick?

4. Damn Blue Devils.

LaceDarius Dunn, Ekpe Udoh, and Tweety Carter were fast becoming my favorite new trio.

5. So the Padres have Garland as their #1 starter.

I don’t think I’m ever gonna complain about Joba in the pen ever again.

6. bexarama says:

I knocked over an entire pan of sizzling mushrooms/onions, whoooooooops

7. Rogue Trader says:

Was on vacation; I’ve WAITED SUCH A LONG TIME TO SAT THIS:

Now, who was right?

• Rogue Trader says:

Say*

• Now, who was right?

We still were. The B-Jobbers were wrong, the team also being wrong does not make B-Jobbers right.

Furthermore, Joba going to the bullpen doesn’t mean shit. B-Jobbers were wrong because they valued the emotional over the analytical, the simple over the complex, the irrational to the rational.

B-Jobbers are wrong because they think Joba the elite bullpen pitcher is worth more to the team than Joba the average starter, and that’s incorrect.

• Eric, why take the bait? He’s just being an ass.

• Jackson says:

No, you were wrong. I love the fact that you guys who thought he would start have egg on your face.
        We still were? LOL. He is in the pen, you are WRONG.

• mustang says:

I wouldn’t be this strong about it, but the ” egg on your face” thing is kind of right. Regardless the guy is in the pen when a lot people thought he wouldn’t be and being put there by the leader (Cashman) of the “the rational, analytical, complex” movement is funny.

• Dalelama says:

How close to Mo like does a reliever have to be to be more valuable than the average starter?

• pete says:

pretty much equal.

• bexarama says:

that’s the thing: by Fangraphs WAR, Mo, however awesome he is, is generally not as valuable as an average SP

• Dalelama says:

It is hard to believe that it is hard to replace an average starter because by definition they are average. While replacing Mo would seem to be near impossible.

• bexarama says:

I hate to say this because Mariano might be my favorite Yankee ever, but he is so valuable only because he’s done what he’s done for like fifteen years (and in the postseason). From individual year to individual year, other closers do what he does, and most closers do close to what he does. Replacing him is not impossible.

(Whenever I have to be all objective about Mo like this, my heart kind of throws up a little.)

• whozat says:

There won’t be another Mo for a generation. At earliest.

That said, there will be another closer for the Yankees. However, the pool of relief pitchers is a lot wider, the likelihood of one fluking into a great season is a lot higher, the pool of free agents is a lot more fluid, the commitments required to land them are shorter, and the contracts commanded by them are smaller.

League-average starters cost a lot of money on the free agent market and teams are locking them up earlier and earlier. Jason Marquis got 2/15 this offseason, and he’s a mediocre starting pitcher in the NL. You can get a real high-end reliever for that money.

Bottom line, solid performance over 200 innings just helps the team win a LOT more games than stellar performance in 60.

• bexarama says:

It wasn’t so much about who would be right as what was the right thing to do.

And that’s all I’m gonna say because I have decided I will not comment on Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes unless it is to talk about their 2010 performances because fruuuuustraaaation

• Tom Zig says:

No need to be an ass about it.

8. http://morganensberg.wordpress.....tors-away/

Really good read from ex-Yanks Morgan Ensberg. It was linked on THT this week.

9. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Alan Horne tore his rotator cuff and he’s out for the year. Too bad for him.

• Yeah. Just holding hope for Chris Garcia at this point.

• Why? We have other high ceiling arms to get excited about. Brackman looked good this spring, Z-Mac is almost ready, Melancon is ready, and Jose Ramirez was a breakout candidate last year. Plus, someone will take a big step forward that were not even considering. We may even see Betances later this season.

• I think the context is clearly the always-injured-been-in-the-system-for-four-plus-years guys that I’m holding hope for, the other being Chris Garcia. Not sure why you seem critical of the statement. It’s not like my statement was “Alan Horne and Chris Garcia are the only pitching prospects worth even checking in on.”

I’m as bullish as anyone regarding Brackman, but let’s not read too much into his Spring. Z-Mac, while a nice arm in the upper minors, doesn’t profile as more than a back-end arm in the rotation. That’s important, no doubt. But we’re not talking a Hughes or Joba-type player. We’re more in IPK territory.

Melancon is a reliever. His impact will always be limited; that’s the nature of his position. Jose Ramirez, while an exciting prospect, is 19 and has YEARS to go. Again, let’s temper our expectations.

Betances will be one to watch, no doubt.

Chris Garcia has more talent than anyone in the minors not named Andrew Brackman in terms of his “stuff”. And he’s in the high minors. If he can stay out of the doctor’s office, he could legitimately make a huge impact in the rotation. He’s a guy worth holding out hope for.

• Gotcha. Personally, I’m hoping they move Garcia to the bullpen. He just hasn’t held up as a starter.

• Yeah, the question now is not about talent or ability, but durability. It’s more specifically, what’s better for his arm—pitching every 5th day in a regimented routine or more sporadically but less taxing in terms of “mileage”.

I’d like to see them give him 2010 as the final year as a starter and if there are injuries, that’s it.

Still, that’s playing with fire. The ‘pen might be safer.

I don’t know enough about biomechanics or physiology to say which is the best option.

• He’s done for . . . forever. He hasn’t pitched much since being drafted in 04. He had the one good year in 07, and other than that it’s been one DL trip after another.

Had TJ twice, and there have always been whispers about his conditioning. He’s the type of pitcher the Yanks wouldn’t draft anymore, or at least wouldn’t waste a good pick on.

• Accent Shallow says:

I hear he made this sacrifice so Christian Garcia can be healthy.

Seriously, that really sucks for Horne. I was looking forward to seeing him in the Bronx.

10. Hangoverologist says:

Matt Cain was just signed to a three year, 27 million dollar extension.

One less free agent option come 2012.

• One less free agent more trade option come 2012.

Fixed that for ya.

• Hangoverologist says:

I’m not sure about that. Who would the Yanks trade to SF? The Giants are poised to contend within the next couple of years, and I don’t think they would trade their second best pitcher unless they were really far out of the race.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Pass on Cain. Doesn’t strike out a ton. Meh career BB rate. Unsustainable LOB percentage. He’s a good pitcher but I don’t want him in the AL East.

Though at this point if we can straight up trade Joba for him I might like that. Since developing is pretty much a weak side for the Yanks.

• 28 next year says:

it is a weak side for all contending teams, especially those who contend every year

• Joe D. says:

Was curious, so I took a look at the 2009 playoff teams. How many SPs did each wholly develop who played a valuable role in their 2009 regular season?

BOS (2): Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz
            LAD (2): Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley
            PHI (2.5): Cole Hamels, J.A. Happ, Brett Myers(?)
            LAA (4): Jered Weaver, John Lackey, Ervin Santana, Joe Saunders
            MIN (4): Scott Baker, Nick Blackburn, Kevin Slowey, Brian Duensing
            COL (2): Ubaldo Jimenez, Aaron Cook
            NYY (1): Joba Chamberlain
            STL (0): [Wainwright started with Braves]

11. Brad Toughy says:

Having fun in my 20-team draft, but we’re seriously going to be scraping the barrel here in a fee rounds :)

12. ‘Gere’d Up’? uhhhhh I gots ‘Mike’d Up’ copyrighted, bozo. Yous will be hearin from mah lawyahs.

…on the fan.

13. Drew says:

I know some of you were disappointed in the content of Life last week, but to me it’s pretty sick.

As an avid fisherman I’m really looking forward to the second episode tonight.

14. I got Tex in the first round (12th/14 picks) and The Justin in the second round. I’m happy thus far.

15. 28 next year says:

BN: Rafael Betancourt
    BN: Ian Desmond
    BN: C.J. Wilson
    BN: Brandon League
    BN: Ronald Belisario
    BN: Lyle Overbay

My first time so I just gave it my all. The relief pitchers were picked late. My bench and starters will be tinkered with but if anyone has comments on the team overall, that would be helpful.

16. Jake H says:

“It appears the Yankees are about to engage in a bidding war for another highly touted Latin free agent, this one 15-year-old Mexican pitcher Luis Heredia. Heredia, a 6-4, 190-pound righthander reputed to have four plus pitches — fastball, slider, curve and changeup — drew a rash of scouts recently, including the evaluators from Yankees, Dodgers, Rangers, Mariners and Blue Jays, who most recently posted the winning bid for Cuban defector Adeiny Hechevarria for what sources said was $6.5 million for the shortstop. The bidding for Heredia will be a little different in that his rights are owned by the Veracruz team in the Mexican League. A signing date of July 2, which is within the required 45 days of Heredia’s 16th birthday, has been set.”

New York Daily News

Interesting stuff here.

17. Okay, here’s the team I got, w/round number:

C–Weiters (8)
    1B–Tex (1)
    2B–Cano (3)
    3B–Chipper (5)
    SS–Yunel (7)
    OF–The Justin (2)
    OF–Dunn (6)
    OF–C. Gonzalez (11)
    UTIL–Nolan Reimold (13)
    UTIL–C. Quinten (16)
    BN–Swisher (18)
    BN–J. Hairston (22, yay super sub)

SP–Carpenter (4)
    SP–Jered Weaver (9)
    SP–Brett Anderson (10)
    SP–Oswalt (14)
    SP–Jonathan Sanchez (15)
    SP–Lilly-hammer (19)
    SP–Laptop Thief (21)
    SP–I.P.K. (23)
    RP–F. Cordero (12)
    RP–M. Gonzalez (17)

18. Evilest Empire says:

Here’s how I fared as The Greenies of the RAB 140 in The RAB Baseball League Two™

C: Carlos Ruiz

P: Mark Buehrle
    P: Andy Pettitte
    P: Wade Davis
    BN: Ricky Romero
    BN: Brandon Lyon
    BN: Vincente Padilla

I can’t complain. These leagues are insanely deep.

19. Tseng says:

RP- Brian Wilson (7)
    P- Tim Hudson (12)
    P- Ted Lilly (13)
    P- Octavio Dotel (18)

Be- Nick Blackburn (19)
    Be- Latroy Hawkins (20)
    Be- Rafael Betancourt (22)

Not the best, but not too bad, I hope.

20. 28 next year says:

A 20 team draft is crazy. By like round 9, I am like going through the scrap heap and by round 17, it is just crazy. Lot of fun though and my team is fairly strong and I had the 20th pick which was annoying cause I got like two picks and then waited for forty picks and then went again.

21. RAB league the same as Evilist Empire

SP Kevin Slowey (10)
    RP Leo Núñez (13)
    RP Jim Johnson (21)
    P David Price (11)
    P Johnny Cueto (12)
    P Derek Lowe (15)

Bench Jeff Francoeur (16)
    Bench Aaron Rowand (17)
    Bench Jarrod Saltalamacchia (22)
    Bench Joe Saunders (18)
    Bench Madison Bumgarner (19)
    Bench Freddy Sánchez (20)

23. CentWAR Centaur™ of The RAB Premier League™
    17. (336) Fausto Carmona
    18. (345) Jeremy Hellickson
    19. (376) Jeff Francis
    20. (385) Kelly Johnson
    21. (416) Desmond Jennings
    22. (425) Pedro Alvarez

24. I had the eighth pick in the seventh league. Took Kemp with my first pick.

C: Geovany Soto

P: Brandon Webb
    P: Johnny Cueto
    P: Tyler Clippard
    P: Sean Burnett
    P: Clay Zavada
    P: Jarrod Washburn

Obviously, I’m hoping for good years from a few of Garza, Webb, Hughes, Kennedy, and Cueto.

Completely punted saves. Not thrilled with the bench or the back end pitchers because I had to leave and turned on AutoPick.

Thoughts?

P—Tim Hudson
    BN—Barry Zito
    BN—Robinson Tejada

BN—Gaby Sanchez
    BN—Lyle Overbay
    BN—Chris Davis
    BN—Jesus Montero (just because!)

***

I’m pleased with my pitching staff, but my offense is certainly less than impressive. Only one real power threat and only one real SB threat and a couple of black holes.

Overall, I like my team and hope I do well.

26. Looking over these drafts makes me so excited for League 6′s draft. It’s also a good resource to see where people generally reached or got awesome value, plus the range of strategies. Never done a 20-team league. It looks freakin’ insane. When people are getting upset that Zito went one pick before they chose, you know it’s wild stuff.

So psyched. And best of luck to the other leagues!

The Overshares FTW!

27. Montero’s Angels–RAB Premier League(TM)

1. (1) Albert Pujols 1B
    18. (360) David Freese 3B
    19. (361) Troy Glaus Util
    20. (400) Bud Norris SP
    21. (401) Tyler Clippard RP
    22. (440) Ty Wigginton 1B,3B

28. Hey ZZ says:

Did Dave Eiland decide the position eligibility for all the RAB fantasy leagues yet?

29. keithr says:

245 Ben Sheets, Oak SP
    260 Matt Guerrier, Min RP
    269 Franklin Morales, Col RP
    284 Daniel Bard, Bos RP
    293 Mike Adams, SD RP

30. keithr says:

and for RAB tier 2 (some autodrafting here=\)

1. (7) Matt Kemp
    10. (194) Nick Johnson
    11. (207) Josh Willingham
    12. (234) Mark Buehrle
    13. (247) Hideki Matsui
    14. (274) Brett Gardner
    15. (287) Travis Snider
    16. (314) Daniel Bard (auto draft begins!)
    17. (327) Wade Davis
    18. (354) Ramon A. Ramirez (yeah, oops)
    19. (367) Ramón Ramírez
    20. (394) Justin Masterson
    21. (407) Hideki Okajima
    22. (434) Rod Barajas

31. Manhattan Matt says:

Is it just me, or does Richard Gere look like Hideki Matsui in 20 years in this photo?