Mar

Open Thread: Pujols for Howard

This one made me laugh. Apparently the Phillies have internally discussed the idea of trading Ryan Howard to St. Louis for Albert Pujols. The plan was to try to sell the Cardinals on the idea that Howard, born and raised in St. Louis, would be easier (and cheaper) to sign long-term than Pujols. Both players can become free agents after the 2011 season, and are basically the same age. Of course, Pujols is the far, far superior hitter. Yeah, Howard has the bigger homerun totals, but Pujols does literally everything else better with the bat.

Phillies’ GM Ruben “fielding percentage FTW” Amaro flat out denied the rumor, which is good. Hopefully he realizes how stupid he would look if he actually proposed such a deal to St. Louis.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. The only local sports team in action tonight are the Isles, and if you turn the game on right now you could probably catch the last period. I’m sure there’s college basketball on somewhere. Oh, and in case you haven’t heard, LaDainian Tomlinson signed with the Jets. Otherwise, have at it.

Photo Credit: Jeff Roberson, AP

Categories : Open Thread

1. I think the “horrendously retarted” tag was made for this post.

2. YankeesJunkie says:

Saint Patrick’s day is coming up on Wednesday any good drinks you guys know of? Nothing to fancy though.

3. Steve H says:

The Yankees have internally discussed trading Ramiro Pena for Hanley Ramirez.

• JGS says:

probably take more than Pena, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hanley hit the block next winter, and be traded the winter after that. No way the Marlins are actually going to pay him once he gets expensive

4. bexarama says:

a. I would LOVE to hear the phone conversation where this deal was proposed.
    b. So my mom’s boss was apparently going on about how the years from 2002-2008 were “a waste” for the Yankees and my mom was actually logical and pointed out that you can’t really say that. So, what were your favorite memories from those years?

Me:
    - Aaron bleepin’ Boone
    - Boston Massacre, 2006
    - A-Rod trade
    - the game where Derek dove into the stands
    - I hated the way the season ended, but the comeback in 2007 to make the playoffs was just awesome. Plus, the way A-Rod DESTROYED the AL. There were some really amazing games from 2007, as well.
    - the 2005 division comeback
    - this game
    - this game
    - A-Rod’s 10 RBI game against the Angels
    - Andy coming back before 2007
    - the home run my name links to

I am forgetting A LOT.

• bexarama says:

- Moose winning 20
      - last game(s) at OYS
      - Jobamania

Duh.

• Mike Axisa says:

Aaron Boone, then everything else.

• JGS says:

Don’t forget Moose outpitching Beckett in Game 3 of the 03 Series

I was at the 10-RBI game. Probably the best regular season game I’ve ever been to

• Thomas A. Anderson says:

Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS is still the best game I’ve ever seen. Every time I watch a clip of Boone’s homerun, I get chills.

Oh, and your mother’s boss is exactly what is wrong with this fanbase.

• Can I use this idea for a blog post? I’ll credit you, of course.

• bexarama says:

The 2003 ALCS was just insane. I barely remembered to eat and/or do my homework.

samewiththatotherseriesatleastuntilthetragicvolcanoeruptions

• Andy_C_23 says:

Agreed. It’s just a shame that the Marlins had to go and ruin everything.

• One of the best pitching staffs we had during the run, which I think ended that year, and not in 2001 as Buster Onley seems to think.

I thought there was no way on God’s green Earth we’d lose to the Marlins, but lose we did. So much went wrong for the Yanks and every move McKeon made seemed to come up roses.

• bexarama says:

I agree with every word you said here. It was just easy for Olney to say the dynasty ended in 2001 because of the way the 2001 WS ended, and because guys like O’Neill and Brosius retired after it. Along those lines, the 2002 Yankees were really terrific (114 OPS+ AND ERA+? Yes please.), but are often forgotten. Stupid Angels…

Ugh, the 2003 World Series.

• I’m still pissed off at Wells.

After the amazing 03 ALCS, a Game 1 hangover was to be expected. But when Wells pulled up lame in Game 5, I thought that’s what really turned the series. As much as I hate to say it, Pavano was really terrific in that game he started (4?) as well.

• bexarama says:

Ugh. The thing with Wells was he hadn’t told anyone how crappy he felt, IIRC, and they’d already sent Pettitte back to NY to wait it out for Game 6. If he’d still been in Florida when Wells came up lame…. again, ugh.

• Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

I was at the “Giambi grand-slam game” where he became a True Yankee™©®, that was pretty cool.

The game went on forever, it was frickin’ freezing, windy and raining, as sometimes happens in Yankee Stadium in May. When the Twins scored 3 in the top of the 14th inning, most people headed for home. We would probably have left, too, but we were stuck there, as we had paid for return tickets on the “Yankee Clipper” boat, which didn’t leave until a half-hour after the last out. We figured we might as well wait it out.

We had seats right behind home plate, but the wind was so bad by 1:00 AM, my girlfriend and I had moved just inside the runway, where we could still see the game but were out of the howling wind we were underdressed for. We were just about decided that we would forget about the lost boat-ticket money, when, all of a sudden, the bases were loaded, and Giambi was up. We thought, “What the hell, there’s a chance, and the game’ll be over soon either way.”

Everyone was thinking, “Can he?? CAN he??” The next thing you knew, Giambi crushed his home run, to deep center IIRC, the Yanks won, and I was hugging my girlfriend and the cute Puerto Rican girl next to her, her boyfriend was hugging my girlfriend, and I didn’t even mind, everyone was high-fiving– and then we ran like Hell for the boat and finally got warm.

Great night.

5. There’s a boil water alert for Bergen and Middlesex counties, so of course I’m freaking out about there being one in new york…even though there’s not.

6. Thomas A. Anderson says:

You know what today is?

No, besides March 14.

No, besides Selection Sunday.

Why, yes! It is, in fact, steak and bj day!

Yes that site is real, and, yes, it is spectacular. Or at least worth a chuckle for all you fine folks.

7. Salty Buggah says:

How about that Hillis plus 2 late rounders for Quinn deal for the Broncos? I kinda hope he starts because I think McDaniels can help him with his system but we have Kyle Orton. I would be pissed but then again, now we have decent depth. Bye Bye Chris “I make Johnny Damon look like Nick Markakis and get paid 3 times more than Kyle Orton” Simms.

• Salty Buggah says:

Also, last year, I remember the Browns could have traded Quinn for Cutler. But all they get now a good FB and 2 late round picks. Suckers

• Andy_C_23 says:

Chris Simms is football royalty. I never want to hear another ill word about the son of Phil “22-of-25″ Simms. Blasphemy.

8. Nady Nation says:

So, how many members of the Selection Committee did Coach K suck off?

9. Jack says:

In related news, I have internally considered the idea of banging Jessica Alba.

10. thony3007 says:

Why no one talks about the best ERA picther of the 2009 season? Who remember Swisher pitching against “Los Indios”?

11. Maybe the Phillies would be interested in a Cano for Utley swap? The logic would be:

#1 – That Cano is younger.
    #2 – Their contracts both run through 2013
    #3 – Cano will be easier to re-sign because he’s lazy and won’t want to go through all the trouble of calling all those GM’s looking for offers.

Get it done Cashman or you’re fired!!!1!!!11!eleven!

12. bexarama says:

tonight on 30 Clubs in 30 Days, 8 PM: the Mets. Heh

Also, I had a game from the 2000 WS on earlier (YES was showing it) and from that and 2009, I can definitively say Andy is such a spaz when he runs.

13. danny says:

the NCAA selection process is so DUMB.

14. JobaWockeeZ says:

Woot 1998 Yankeeography is on.

15. bonestock94 says:

Ajax is batting .429 in spring training.

16. Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

I’m late to the party, but I just posted a couple of my favorite moments from 2002-8 above.

17. donttradecano says:

so my final 4:
    Kansas
    Cuse
    Kentucky
    Baylor

Major Upsets:
    UTEP over Butler
    Murray State over Vandy
    Cornell over Temple
    Siena over Purdue
    Murray State winning 2 games.

Still torn on a couple of games if anyone wants to lend some insight:
    Tennesee vs Ohio State
    Siena vs Texas A&M
    Notre Dame vs ODU

18. Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

Poll for eveyone: who here has caught a (Fair or foul) ball while in the stands at a Yankee game? And what were the circumstances?

(I ask because I have an ulterior motive: a kinda cool story about one.)

• bexarama says:

I’m that person that paid all that money for A-Rod’s 500th HR ball.

(Not really, but I figured you needed an excuse to tell your story, so tell away. :) )

• Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

I can always count on you, Bexy!

It was a few years ago, and my girfriend’s friend scored us tickets ON THE VISITORS’ DUGOUT, as in, put-your-drink-on-the-actual-dugout-roof-and-get-yelled-at-by-the-attendant-for-doing-so ON the dugout.

The Blue Jays were in town, and every time a left-handed batter came up, I was on alert. About halfway through the game, someone on the Jays– Vernon Wells, maybe? I dunno– hit a towering foul fly ball, and we all stood up along the dugout. I kept thinking “I’ll never get this ball, this ball’s not coming to me, I’ve been coming to the stadium since Bobby Bonds was a Yankee and I’ve never–”; but the ball continued its inexorable fall toward me.
        I noticed an old couple to my right, and became concerned the ball might plunk the elderly woman on her head, so as the ball fell I reached up and grabbed, and the ball hit my hand and– OWWW my hand was forced open. Involuntary reaction, the ball hit the bone on the side of my hand. It squibbed out, and on to the top of the dugout where– the old man grabbed it. Damn!

My hand began to throb, and I sent my girlfriend for a cup of ice. One of the Blue Jays’ coaches came out of the dugout and said, “That’s odd. The ball usually bounces high in the air when it hits the roof of the dugout like that.” I replied, “It didn’t hit the roof of the dugout, it hit my hand!”

The coach said, “Oh”, and ducked into the dugout, returning with–a regulation MLB baseball. Which he proceed to roll across the top of the dugout to me! And I reached toward it– and the old bag next to me grabbed it away!! ARGH!

Fortunately, the combined laser-like glares from both me and the coach convinced her to sheepishly hand the ball over to me. But I’d never seen a woman in her ’80s move that fast before!

The next day, I went to the doctor, sure enough, the hand was broken.

But I still have the ball!

The best part: my girlfriend’s brother, watching on TV as Alex Rodgriguez faded over toward the dugout to see if he had a play, observed, “A-Rod saw Andy! He looked right at him!”

:-)

• Jack says:

That’s awesome.

• Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

I thought so, too…that’s why I had to make the excuse to get someone to ask me about it. Plus I really did want to hear everyone’s stories!

I thought it was a very cool move on the part of the Blue Jays’ coach, too. Wish I’d gotten his name.

• bexarama says:

That story is awesome and pretty epic. Sorry about your hand!

I thought you were talking about the BONE there for a second. OWWWWW

And I definitely thought you were talking about Andy Pettitte for a minute there.

I do have sort of a story. Some family friends got seats by the Yankee dugout for a game a couple of years ago, so we were there. A little girl, like, five years old or so, and her family were sitting next to us, and she kept trying to get the players’ attention because she had a disposable camera and was trying to get pictures of them.

Anyway, she finally gets Derek’s attention, and he says something like, “Well, give me the camera for a second.” She hands him the camera, he makes a totally doofy face, and takes a picture of himself making that face. She was practically DYING, and he took a picture of her too, and then gave the camera back. It was great.

• Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

Cool story! I bet she peed her pants!

Somewhere I have a picture of my girlfriend getting Aaron Boone’s autograph, when he returned, post-’03, with the Indians. I’ll have to see if I can dig it up.

• A Lifetime of Question Marks says:

Never caught one. At my first game at the Stadium I sat in the right field stands with my Uncle, cousin, and brother. Cecil Fielder hit a home run right over my uncles head (my cousins and I were all too young/short to make a play on the ball at the time). My uncle could have easily caught the ball, but he was unwilling to lose the two sodas he was holding at the time.

Even though I mostly blame his actions on his dutch heritage, it took me forever to forgive him.

• Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

Once while sitting in the loge, I got up to go to the bathroom. When I came back, my friend told me a ball had just been hit that bounced off the wall, behind and 2 feet to the left of my seat, which was on the aisle.

Damn beer!

• Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

Your Uncle should have done what I saw on TV a couple years back, and caught the ball in his soda cup.

(If memory serves, the guy on TV had beer in his cup, but whatevs…)

• Jack says:

I was watching a basketball game a few years back where a guy threw up a 3/4 court shot at the end of the first half that landed in a lady’s popcorn bucket.

• Kevin G. says:

No, but one time at a Yankees/Mets game at Shea 4 or 5 years ago I came close. I was sitting right at the left-field wall. When the players were finished warming up, Cliff Floyd (I think)went to throw up a ball, at me but my dad and I couldn’t get. I think it was because either I was being pushed by the people behind me or he didn’t throw it high enough.

• Ana says:

I’ve never been close to a foul ball… but once upon a time, when my older brother was 5 or 6 years old, he and my dad were at a minor league game (AAA, I think) and a foul ball got hit right at him. My brother was totally spacey and I don’t think cared enough about sports at the time to actually follow the game, so he didn’t notice the ball hit inches away from his head as my dad tried to pull him out of the way. Some guy then jumped for the ball, despite the fact that it was sitting next to this little kid who’d almost just gotten creamed by it… I think there was a subsequent chant from the surrounding area of “give the kid the ball,” according to my dad. My brother never got the ball. He says he remembers the chanting, but has no recollection of the ball actually coming at him… he never was much of one for paying attention.

19. Andy (different one) in chilly NYC says:

On a lighter note, my last post of the evening:

The CENTRAL PARK COYOTE– Yankee fan or Met fan?

They are scavengers, remember…but this one seems like a survivor. I say “Yankee fan”!

20. AJ says:

This is the worst idea I’ve ever heard.