Mar

Open Thread: Random stuff

That’s a video of Ichiro pitching in the 1996 All Star Game in Japan, which may be the coolest thing ever. He may just be a glorified singles hitter with the bat, but damn, is he fun to watch.

In other news, Andy in Sunny Daytona took a bunch of pictures from minor league camp the other day, which you can see here. Make sure you click “Show Info” in the top right corner so you know who you’re looking at. Now we have some good shots of Slade Heathcott in a Yankee uni. Neat.

And lastly, a couple of people have emailed in asking about this Jayson Werth report at MLBTR, which of course I wrote. I’m pretty sure at least a few of them realize that. Anyway, it turns out that Reggie Jackson has a longstanding relationship with the Werth family, which could be helpful if the Yanks decide to pursue the outfielder when he becomes a free agent after the season. We’ve talked about the possibility of the Yankees signing Werth before, but what does everyone think about this new development?

Other than that, use this sucker as your open thread. The Rangers, Devils, Isles, and Nets (going for win number ten, w00t!) are all in action, plus you’ve got college hoops. I’m in 85th place out of 149 teams in our Yahoo! pool. Sigh. Enjoy the thread and the night.

Categories : Open Thread

1. WIlliam says:

Matsui is there in the beggining as well.

2. Tomorrow’s Open Thread, with 7 fantasy teams drafting on the same day, is going to be epic.

3. Salty Buggah says:

Damn, Ichiro threw 90 pretty easily.

Also, Matsui is the same way he is know…except with knees.

4. Check out the home plate umpire’s strike call. Good stuff.

5. Everyone always says Ichiro could hit 30 homers if he wanted to. Why the hell doesn’t he do it? He’s supposed to be pretty smart, right? If he’s so smart, wouldn’t he be trying to hit homers since they’re better than singles? Hitting for power could also allow him to walk more and create more trouble on the bases. Plus, his awesome contact skills could keep everyone honest.

• Zack says:

I think some people say that because he hit 25, 21, 17, 16 HRs during some seasons in Japan (21 in only 411 ABs too).

Which means shit because Akinori Iwamura hit 44 and 32 HRs there and he cant even hit 10 here.

• Matty, you have to watch him take batting practice. He can do anything, anything he wants with a bat in his hands.

He will literally start out by peppering singles to Left, then Center, then Right field. Then he will progress to depositing balls in the Left field stands, Center field bleachers and Right field bleachers. In order, with only a rare miss here and there.

When the Mariners come to town, if you have tix get there early. It’s a treat to watch.

• iYankees says:

I saw Ichiro play many times when I lived in Seattle. He is the epitome of baseball entertainment. I remember watching him in batting practice and he was hitting bombs. The man can mash. I think he would do well in a HR derby, but his approach at the plate is different during actual games.

• andrew says:

He would have to sacrifice a lot of BA to hit those home runs, and as we’ve seen, even people that we consider to be pretty smart have the ability to disregard the stats that say that home runs are more valuable than average.

6. Zack says:

Jayson Werth has only made 13.3m (6.3m + 7m this upcoming year) in his career and he’s 31; he’s taking the highest offer.

7. Yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

Wow Matsui looks the same.

8. Evan says:

Ah, Mr. Zero. I’ll remember you fondly for serving up Bubba Crosby’s first Major League home run.

9. Igawafarts says:

You forgot to mention that the Red Bulls are in action tonight too

10. claybeez says:

Thanks for the pics, Andy.

11. Now WVU’s gonna start trying all threes and they’re gonna cough up the lead.

12. Steve H says:

Joey Porter is such a douche.

13. bonestock94 says:

I’m not big on Werth, the knee thing is likely to get worse as he goes into his mid to late 30′s.

14. jim p says:

ALL the Japanese announcers in the Ichiro vid are better than Michael Kay.

15. pete says:

sean black looks really young? anyone know what his story is? You’d have to figure he could add a few ticks to his FB just on account of maturing physically

16. Torrid says:

That’s Shingo Takatasu, who closed for the White Sox briefly, pinch-hitting for Matsui against Ichiro.

17. dkidd says:

with kentucky losing, my bracket is officially dead

what is it with calipari-coached teams and free throws?

• ARX says:

My bracket died last week when Kansas/’nova went down…but with Kentucky done I don’t have a single team right in my Final Four. Last place here I come!!!

• Hughesus Christo says:

I don’t think Calipari is much for coaching. He lets his star players do whatever they want and his teams always lack fundamentals. He’s one of those “recruiter only” guys.

18. Zack says:

Damn, Shane Carwin is a beast

19. bonestock94 says:

Hmm, I need to get a reliever that will get me some holds for my team. This is a very deep league, and I’ll be dropping John Maine I guess to get one. I was thinking DRob…

20. AndrewYF says:

Nice ‘Fifth Element’ reference there, Andy.

21. Joey Time says:

Man Ichiro works fast!

22. Gardimentary says:

“He may just be a glorified singles hitter with the bat, but damn, is he fun to watch.”

Maybe he’s also glorified because he came to the states in the middle of his career,
    and now he’s a Hall of Famer?