Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Johnny comes back

Johnny Damon is back in Tampa today, for what I believe is the first time since he signed with the Tigers. I’m sure that he’ll get a nice round of applause when he comes to the plate as the second batter of the first inning, which about sums up the excitement of an otherwise meaningless Sunday afternoon game in March.

Detroit brought the heat today; their scheduled pitchers include Justin Verlander, Joel Zumaya, and Jose Valverde. Phil Coke’s mullet is on the travel roster as well. Here’s the lineup that’ll have to deal with that nonsense…

Jeter, SS
Johnson, 1B
Posada, C
A-Rod, 3B
Cano, 2B
Swisher, RF
Granderson, CF
Winn, LF
Cervelli, DH

Scheduled Pitchers: A.J. Burnett, Mariano Rivera, and Phil Hughes. Zack Segovia, Amaury Sanit, and Josh Schmidt are also available if needed.

Also scheduled to play: Reegie Corona, Greg Golson, Brandon Laird, Juan Miranda, Ramiro Pena, Austin Romine, Jon Weber, and David Winfree.

First pitch is scheduled to 1pm ET, and the game can be seen on YES. The weather in Tampa isn’t great, so there’s a chance of a rain delay or a straight up cancellation of this one. I hope not.

Update: So much for that, the game’s been cancelled. I guess go ahead and treat this sucker as open thread.

Photo Credit: Charlie Riedel, AP

1. kunaldo says:

Well damn. I was looking forward to finally getting to watch some ST baseball. Plus AJ+Mo+Phil would be entertaining for sure.

2. WIlliam says:

Hey, I slept through a draft, and this was the team I ended up with, thoughts?

My only problem is Martin, how long is he supposed to be out?

C

178 - - - - - -
    BN
    Ryan Rowland-Smith
    (Sea – SP)
    207 - - - - - -

3. gc says:

I’ll miss his bat, but just looking at that picture makes me glad he is no longer roaming the outfield for the Yankees.

4. WIlliam says:

What to people think about a fantasy trade of Kinsler and Gallardo for Cano and Wainwright.

• JSquared says:

The more Valuable second baseman and pitcher for the lesser valuable second baseman and pitcher? Try to get a 3rd player in that deal. If Kinsler has a season like 2008 before he got injured, you’ll be kicking yourself in the ass.

• I Wish I Was Swish says:

I might try to hold onto Gallardo and try Kinsler for Wainwright. That’ll give you a nice 1-2 SPs and I’m sure you can find a 2B thru FA if you don’t like Kendrick.

• andrew says:

Yea, but then the other guy has Kinsler and Cano, which he probably doesn’t want… it’s hard to do 1 for 1 trades like that

• Torrid says:

Wainwright and Gallardo are pretty much a wash, especially given their comparable ADPs. Cross them out.

It’s basically Kinsler vs. Cano. This early in the season, you need to consider draft-position value. Kinsler, for all his injury warts, is a top-20 player; Cano is not. If you play in a head-to-head league, you have to discount Kinsler just a little because he will invariably miss some time. Still, Kinsler has a power-speed combo that Cano does not. If your league counts hits instead of AVG or OBP, then the gap narrows but not quite enough in my book.

• WIlliam says:

I din’t realize how good Gallardo is. What if the trade had Halladay instead of Wainwright, do you think he would take it?

• WIlliam says:

Also, doesn’t being the 5th hitter really boost Cano’s valur. I mean, he’s hitting in back of the two best hitters in the AL.

• Cecala says:

I had Kinsler, Gallardo, and Wainright last season. Trust me in keeping both, Wainright was really good but its not worth giving up two good point makers.

5. More cuts: Romine, Montero, Curtis, Gorecki.

(http://twitter.com/Ledger_Yank.....0830653845

Noooooo.

6. Hughesus Christo says:

I get the feeling that all the craziness of these first few days will ultimately leave us with a notsurprisingatall Final Four of OSU-Syracuse-Duke-Kentucky

• Cecala says:

I do not think duke will make it. I think they will eventually lose out to the winner of the Baylor-SMU game.

7. WIlliam says:

How much is Weiters worth in the Fantasy market?

8. WIlliam says:

What is the DL position is a yahoo fantasy league?

9. Wow, the Yankees have some decisions to make after this rainout. I figure that at least Chamberlain and Hughes would have to face major league hitters over the next few days.

• bexarama says:

heh, according to LoHud, seven pitchers (Burnett, Andy, Joba, Hughes, Mo, Park, Marte) need to pitch tomorrow. They only have nine innings. Girardi called it “a little pain in the rear” which is basically like him going into a Piniella-esque tirade.

• YankeesJunkie says:

I guess a bunch of them could pitch in a minor league game, however Hughes and Joba should both pitch in the MLB game. Either that or they could arrange a super ST game that is 18 innings long!!!!

• bexarama says:

I think Andy’s pitching in the minor league game? Maybe they can get some teams to play split-squad with them.

• Per LoHud, Chamberlain is pitching in the intrasquad game tomorrow and Hughes is pitching in relief against the Phillies. How exactly does that work? Chamberlain will probably face Yankees minor leagues, and since Hughes is pitching late in the game, he will probably face Phillies minor leaguers. Seems far from ideal.

• whozat says:

I think it’s more important to them that AJ get time against big leaguers.

Besides, I’m sure that several of the Yankee starting nine will stay home, and likely they’ll have them hit against Joba. Since they’re sending AJ and (likely) Posada, I think they only have to send two other starting-caliber hitters to play the Phils.

10. Charlie says:

why hasn’t there been any news about elijah dukes? i know he’s got some problems but hes pretty talented and definitely worth a look. i even saw a post on mlbtr suggesting his major league career could be over and that he might have to settle for an indy league team. that sounds pretty ridiculous to me. cashman should be all over this

• thurdonpaul says:

I think if it was that easy of a decision, Cashman and lots of other GMs would be fighting it out to sign him.

It sounds like there must be reasons we are not aware of that no one seems to be interested in him.

• YankeesJunkie says:

If he would be willing to sign a minor league contract that would be a steal of deal. He is probably never going to be more than a fifth OF, but he gets on base and has an arm.

• SteveD Fla says:

He is just bad news. Was with the Rays. And I read were he was bad for the clubhouse in DC. His numbers are really not good. There is a reason nobody is touching this guy.

• Drew says:

His numbers are really not good.

I agreed with everything else you said except for that. That doesn’t necessarily tell the whole story.

He has immense ability and a career OPS of 820 in the minors. Last year he had ups and downs with the Natinals, if it wasn’t for June and September his line wouldn’t look horrible.

In 2008 he slugged almost 500 and got on base 40% of the time against righties. So, even though all of his numbers aren’t great, this 26 year old is a very good hitter.

11. Tom Zig says:

Is Golsen the functional equivalent of Freddy Guzman?

• Drew says:

Not imo.

Guzman is 5 years older and has zero power. He’s hit 20 Hr’s in 8 minor league seasons, in 2007 Golson hit 15.

Golson had a big setback last year which is kind of odd, usually the jump to AA is the killer not AAA. So, I’ll chalk it up to a 23 year old being relocated from Pennsylvania to OK.
      If he can rebound this year I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the Bronx at some point, potentially taking AB’s from Gardner.

12. John says:

Just Wondering what you guys think of my team. It’s a 12 team league.
    C:Victor Martinez
    P:Josh Beckett
    P:Matt Garza
    P:Stephen Strasburg
    P:Tim Hudson
    Bench: Brian Matusz, Juan River, Adam Laroche, Brendan Ryan, Johhny Peralta

13. YankeesJunkie says:

He will never be more than a fifth OF for the Yankees and personally Curtis has a better shot of making the roster this year.

• Drew says:

I think this is a reply fail to my Golson post.

I agree that what you said is very likely to be true. However, I can definitely see a situation, not beyond possibility, that he is helping us on the mlb squad.

A few things would have to go right, well.. wrong, in order for it to happen.

-If Gardner is getting on base at a 320-330 clip and slugging 380.

-If Winn is getting on base at a 320 clip and slugging 350, which is what he did last season in 600 PA’s.

-If Hoff is shipped back to the Dodgers.

Most importantly, if Golson reverts back to his 2008 #’s and one or two of the above situations occur, there is no reason to think Golson wouldn’t be more than a 5th OFer.

If the Gardy situation occurs and Golson is performing in Scranton, I see no reason why the two wouldn’t flat out be swapped.

• Drew says:

Also, I disagree about Curtis. It’s nice to see what he did in ST and AzFL but he really hasn’t had that kind of power. I’d be shocked if he carried a remnants of it back to Scranton. The highest he has slugged above A+ is 371. Golson’s is 434.

14. bexarama says:

I know it’s ST and it means nothing but Papelbon gave up six runs in 1/3 of an inning, so I giggled.

15. Anyone wants to do a Live Draft for me? Mine is today 9:30 pm and I won’t be able to participate.

16. Hangoverologist says:

The hopes of the clueless Yankee fans have been killed: Joe Mauer has just signed an 8/184M contract with a no-trade clause.

• Drew says:

It’s great news.

Jesus and Austin, your chauffeur awaits. See you soon.

Looks like Boston will have to trade away some of their ridiculous depth for a catcher. Either that or pay V-Mart a bunch of money as a 32 year old catcher.

• Tom Zig says:

Looks like Boston will have to trade away some of their ridiculously epically legendary depth for a catcher.

FTFY

Either that or pay V-Mart a bunch of money as a 32 year old catcher.

Please, I hope they do. Something like 17-18 million a year for 4-5 years.

• Reggie C. says:

V-Mart’s not a “real” .330/.400/.500 hitter, but Fenway plays well for the man and he’ll put up all star level numbers. Theo is going to try to get V-Mart to sign an extension of 15/16 per at probably no more than 4 years. That’s not a bad deal for either party. Since the Mets aren’t reliable suitors, that might be the best money V-mart gets.

• Tom Zig says:

It’s about time. Good for him and his family.

• bexarama says:

Mauer should have been a Yankee, this is devasting news and we will feel the effects for years to come. When Mauer is leading his Twins over the Yankees in the ALDS this year, everyone who is currently happy about this signing will turn into anger. The Yankees should have prevented this, there should have been a deal under the table by the Yankees promising Mauer 300 million if he went to free agency.. I AM disgusted.

WTF? Mauer had about as amazing of a year as you possibly can and he couldn’t stop his team from getting swept away in the ALDS against the Yankees. If only we had Mauer, we could have beaten the Twins in TWO games!!!!