Apr

Link Dump: Joba, Sabathia & Crawford, Chan Ho

A few links on a gorgeous Monday afternoon…

Joba’s one of the 25 best players under 25

A pair of ESPN scribes are running a series of posts at the TMI Blog naming the 25 best players in the game under the age of 25. Joba Chamberlain checks in at number 20, but with the caveat that he is considered a reliever and not a starter. I know, I know. I don’t like that their list is based on a standard 25-man roster, with bench players and what not, but it’s still pretty entertaining. I’d rather just see a list of players that young, like Baseball America used to do. I don’t remember seeing them put one together in the last few season, but I remember. Miguel Cabrera dominated the top spot until he turned 26.

CC wooing CC

Via sucka got no juice, apparently CC Sabathia has been leaning on his good buddy Carl Crawford about joining the Yankees as a free agent next year. “I joke around with him all the time about that — all the time,” said Sabathia. “I told him I’ve got an extra room in the house, whatever he needs.” Let’s not forget that CC is close to Cliff Lee after all the time they were teammates in Cleveland.

Chan Ho Park had diarrhea

Last, but certainly not least. I’m sure you’ve seen this already, but in case you haven’t…

Categories : Links

1. Cam says:

Was that Damaso behind him losing it? Absolutely hilarious.

2. JT says:

Lovin Mo cracking up behind him.

3. DSFC says:

A big long-term deal for Crawford is going to be a loser in the long run. His value to a team is almost entirely based on speed, and he’ll be 29 next season. He might live up to a contract for 2-3 years, but that back end will probably be an albatross as he slows down.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

And who’s even talking about an albatross contract for him? No one is talking about a 6 or 7 year deal.

• No one would ever sign him to that, but anything longer than a three year deal to a guy with just above average power and downright average on base skills who bases his game on speed/defense could be an albatross.

• radnom says:

The dude is still 28. A four year deal would be fine. He will still be fast at 33.

• The Three Amigos says:

True, but on the open market a 4 year deal is more then reasonable for him. I, for one hope Gardner, who is a poor mans Crawford can hold down LF this year, enabling us to spend our resources elsewhere. (Starting Pitching)

4. Hughesus Christo says:

He just earned his pinstripes

5. 3/39 for Crawford, nothing more. I love him now, we all do, but four years from now, will we feel the same way?

• Also, are we giving CHoP the benefit of the doubt and saying he was going for deadpan? It’s either that or he was completely oblivious.

• Stryker says:

deadpan? i’d say yes. but it also wouldn’t surprise me if he was completely oblivious.

also, i agree with you on crawford. hell, i might go as far as 4/52. it’s the same deal damon and matsui got, and we dealt with those guys with minimal problems.

• OldYanksFan says:

$13m/yr for a career 103 OPS+/.343 wOBA? Yes, his speed and D makes those numbers better, but in this economy, $13m buys a lot. Gritner is faster, might be as good on D, and will probably come close to that wOBA.

6. Stryker says:

that chopper video is awesome.

• Stryker says:

and before someone flips a shit over park’s nickname(s): being in the philly area and able to watch phillies games last year, “chopper” was the nickname given to him by manuel, his teammates, and the phillies’ tv announcers. typing CHoP seems to convoluted.

• bexarama says:

nooo only Matsui was named Chop!!!!! or whatever people were saying. Even though I never heard anyone call Matsui Chop.

• Tom Zig says:

Someone on here said that chop suey was Matsui’s nickname and therefore chop was too? I don’t know, it doesn’t make sense.

But calling Chan-Ho Park, CHoP, is like calling Alex Rodriguez, A-Rod. Nothing wrong with it and it makes sense.

• Rose says:

I don’t really see what doesn’t make sense about it. Matsui, Chop Suey. Then you shorten it to Chop when cheering for him “Let’s go Chop!”

It’s all personal preference. Hypothetically, if I nickname a friend of mine something based on an inside joke or something personal that we had gone through over the years of being friends…and it’s time to introduce him – you may ask why I call him that…but to the point where you would make a fuss about it and constantly bring it up about how it doesn’t make sense to you…I would highly doubt it.

If you don’t like the nickname, that’s perfectly fine. I, on the other hand, liked the nickname for nearly 7 years, so even if it were stupid (in which it certainly wasn’t meant to be something serious)…the 7 years of saying it over the years has turned it into something different…at least on my end.

A-Rod is just as arbitrary as any nickname. Just because the media used it and it stuck doesn’t mean they have the only means of creating nicknames for people.

Just sayin’. I respect your opinion. But I said this like 2 weeks ago and it’s still being brought up for some reason. Perhaps if TSJC or Honorable Judge Reinhold had created something similar it would have been more accepted and/or forgotten…who knows.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

But “CHoP” is like “CHiPs”, which was an awesome show, so I am hoping that “CHoP” will be just as badass.

• I once called a helicopter a chopper, so I can’t use that nickname for Chan Ho Park.

(inside joke some people might not get, sorry)

7. bexarama says:

Mariano trying desperately not to laugh in the background is the best part.

8. vin says:

Chan Ho might be this year’s Phil Coke in terms of interview-awkwardness. Awesome.

9. Nady Nation says:

CC’s got his recruiting shoes on – Crawford, Lee, and hopefully LeBron.

10. Kiersten says:

A few links on a gorgeous Monday afternoon…

Unnecessary. It’s been pouring in South Florida all day.

11. Tank Foster says:

Is Crawford a good outfielder, or just fast? In other words, does he take the good routes, etc.? Throw well?

If he were a good outfielder, I think he’d be a good FA acquisition. Yes, as his speed diminishes, his offensive value will drop, but you’d think that would be priced into the contract. He is a decent hitter, too, isn’t he? Career OPS+ of 103, but he’d probably hit 4-5 extra homers per year at Yankee….

Alot would depend on how Gardner plays this year, which I think is going to be a measure of how good he really is, or isn’t. If Gardner throws up an OBP of .350+ with 40 SBs and decent defense, there is no way I would pay for Crawford. But if Gardner ends up sucking….

• bexarama says:

According to UZR and BB-Ref’s fielding stats, he’s not just a good defensive left fielder, he’s an elite left fielder. Only Chase Utley was ranked as a better defensive player at any position in 2008 and only Gutierrez, Longoria, and Zimmerman were better defensive players in 2009. He definitely passes the eye test as well. His arm is slightly below average but his range/routes is/are ridiculous.

12. bonestock94 says:

Can’t stop watching the chan ho park video, hilarious

13. Zack says:

I feel bad for whoever had to be Park’s roommate in Boston

14. Charlie says:

Why is Rosenthal always referred to as “Sucka has no juice?”

• bexarama says:

he wrote a stupid article mock-previewing the 2009 Yankees where he predicted Beyonce would start to date A-Rod and Jay-Z would write a song in response called “Sucka Got No Juice”

The article was, as I said, incredibly stupid, so it is no longer available on the internet. :(

15. bexarama says:

I just watched the Chan Ho Park video again and I seriously cannot stop laughing

• Riddering says:

So hilarious I’ve shared it with everyone around me who knows anything about baseball.

Between this and Park’s wondering why the hell reporters keps asking about his strain during ST I think we are in for a lot of fun from him talking to the media. If the Yankees were the cast from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Park would be Anya.

/nerd’d

• bexarama says:

Me too. It’s just really, really funny. If that makes me seven years old, so be it. =P

Haha, I’ve only seen like two episodes of Buffy but I know what you’re talking about.

16. Andy Summers says:

Regarding Crawford, he looks to be the team’s obvious target next offseason…I know a lot of people want Cliff Lee, but he’ll probably get something like 6/110-115 or so given what Burnett and Lackey got, I’m not sure the Yankees want to give another 100+ million dollar contract, especially to a pitcher on the wrong side of 30. There’s only so many megadeals a team can give out.

17. Gio says: