Apr

Linkage: A-Rod!, Posada & Pitchers, Draft

Nothing like a batch of links right before lunch, even if some of them are a little stale…

Defending A-Rod

Lost in the mix of disdain and straight up hatred for Alex Rodriguez and the whole unwritten rule thing with Dallas Braden was that there’s a side to A-Rod’s story as well. This post by Joe Posnanski and this one by Morgan Ensberg (yes, that Morgan Ensberg) really do a phenomenal job of coming to the defense of the Yankee third baseman, not necessarily by being apologetic, but by looking at the facts and not letting past discretions cloud their view of the matter. Both pieces are fantastic reads even if they are a tad outdated, so make sure you give them a read.

Also, I recommend making Ensberg’s blog part of your daily reading. It’s truly awesome.

Posada ranks Yankee pitchers

This one’s a few days old too, but we haven’t gotten around to linking to it yet. Jorge Posada sat down with some Yahoo! (see what I did there?) to talk about all the pitchers he’s caught during his career. I’m not sure how much I trust him though, because he said Scott Proctor “would throw 98, 99, 100.” I remember Proctor throwing in the mid-90′s at times, but 98-100? They didn’t even have him that high on the TV gun. Maybe Jorge was referring to the ultra-juiced stadium gun. Either way, it’s a fun read.

Largest contracts in draft history

I hate to self-promote, but I put way too much time and effort into researching and writing this post at MLBTR about he richest deals ever given to drafted players. Everyone knows that Stephen Strasburg and Mark Prior and Mark Teixeira got paid, but who knew that Pat Burrell got $8,000,000 back in 1998? Or that Eric Munson got $6,750,000 in 2000?

2010 Pledge Drive Update

Our 2010 pledge drive to benefit Curtis Granderson‘s Grand Kids Foundation is in full swing, and thus far we’ve raised $222.77 with 141 games still left to play. It’s never too late to pledge, just follow the link for all the information you’ll need about what we’re doing and how to get in on the action.

Categories : Links

1. bexarama says:

David Wells. Yeah, that’s frightening.

Hysterical. That Jorge article is awesome.

2. Steve H says:

I love the part where Lieber (jokingly) blames Posada for a HR. Sounds like the AJ debacle in Fenway.

3. A.D. says:

Pat Burrell got $8,000,000 back in 1998?

He was a Golden Spikes winning 3B

4. Rose says:

That’s $10,479,567.28 and $8,326,570.31 (respectively) today!!

[Jumps out window]

• Fun Fact: In Pat Burrell’s 9 years in Philadelphia, he put up a .257/.367/.485 (119+) and had a wOBA better than .350 and a wRC+ better than 110 in 8 of the 9 years.

Year by year wRC+ in Philadelphia:

Did Burrell deserve 8mil as an amateur? No, probably not. But let’s not lump him in with uberbust Eric Munson. Pat Burrell was a fine, productive player.

5. Slu says:

That Morgan Ensberg blog is really a great read. Thanks for linking to it.

6. I Voted for Kodos says:

The first time I read Morgan’s blog, I was expecting typical ex-ballplayer speak, but he offers some really interesting insight from a player’s perspective while simultaneously being open minded to new ways of thinking. He’s also very receptive to the fans who leave comments. It’s one of my new favorite time killers now.