Apr

One bad inning costs the Yankees a sweep

When you’ve already taken the first two games of a series, when your Nos. 4 and 5 starters have limited them to four runs in those contests, and when you have your ace on the mound, you expect to complete the sweep. The Yankees failed in that regard yesterday. Sabathia actually pitched pretty well after Kurt Suzuki took him deep in the first, but that was enough offense for the A’s. Dallas Braden prevented the Yankees’ offense from doing too much damage, and the result was a rare low-scoring game.

Biggest Hit: Tex hits a long fly

Photo credit: Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP

Down 4-1 in the top of the sixth, the Yankees needed to put a dent in the lead. Nick Johnson worked a six-pitch at-bat to lead off the inning, but swung at a changeup outside on a 3-2 count and grounded it to second base. That brought up Mark Teixeira.

As he often does, Braden jumped ahead in the count by getting a slider over for strike one. He came inside with a fastball on the next pitch, which Teixeira fouled away for strike two. Ahead in the count, Braden turned to his odd weapon, the screwball. According to dark overlord David Appelman, Braden had thrown the pitch just one time before yesterday’s game. This one he delivered low and away, but Teixeira launched it to left-center, clearing the wall by plenty.

It was the Yankees second solo home run of the day off Braden, and unfortunately it was all they would get. Still, it’s another encouraging sign from Tex. He slump continues — he was just 2 for 12 with a walk in the series, though both hits went for extra bases — but we know he’s coming around.

Biggest Pitch: Suzuki’s three-run blast

Photo credit: Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP

As mentioned in the opening paragraph, CC Sabathia pitched pretty well yesterday. He went all eight innings, giving the bullpen — specifically Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera — a breather. He also used just 97 pitches, which is even more impressive when you look at his first inning. He threw 18 in that frame, meaning he needed just over 11 pitches per inning the rest of the way. Still, he had trouble settling into a groove during the first.

It started with a pitcher’s nightmare, a four-pitch walk to Rajai Davis. They were all fastballs, and only the third and fourth pitches came close. That puts the pressure on, because Davis presents a perpetual threat to steal. He didn’t during Daric Barton’s at-bat, but his speed allowed him to advance on a groundball to second. He did, however, steal third during Ryan Sweeney’s at-bat, which also resulted in a four-pitch walk.

The next pitch was CC’s only real mistake of the game. After walking two batters on eight pitches, Sabathia needed to start strong against Kurt Suzuki. He delivered a 93 mph fastball that PitchFX classified as a sinker. The problem, though, wasn’t with the pitch. It was the location, middle-in, and Suzuki guessed right. He hit a no-doubter to left, staking his team to a 3-0 lead. Normally the Yankees offense can cover such a deficit, but yesterday they just weren’t feeling it.

Rodriguez to Cano to Johnson

Suzuki was responsible not only for the biggest positive WPA swing in the game, but also the biggest negative. In the sixth inning Sabathia again ran into some control problems. He allowed a single to Daric Barton on a 3-2 count, and then let him advance to second on a wild pitch. Then, for the second time in the game, he walked Sweeney on four pitches. Suzuki came up in a familiar situation, and just like the last time he swung at the first pitch. The result, though, couldn’t have been any more different.

Both photo credits: Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP

This time Sabathia opened with a changeup, a bit below the zone. Suzuki grounded it sharply to A-Rod at third, who ran to tag third, then fired to second. Cano made a quick transfer, whipping the ball to Johnson at first, who stretched and completed the triple play. It was the first Yankees’ triple play since 1968, and the first one I have ever seen while watching a baseball game live.

You can watch the video here. I think I’ve watched it about a dozen times since the game ended.

Annoyances

The whole offense was a bit of a downer. Particularly, though, Gardner grounding into the double play in the fifth, and then Cano grounding into the double play in the sixth, made me want to break my remote.

Mark Teixeira had a chance to put a dent in A’s lead in the third. He came up with men on first and second with two outs, but couldn’t manage a base hit. Johnson got a crack first, and he flied a pretty hittable pitch to left field. Tex actually worked a pretty good at-bat, seven pitches, but couldn’t finish when Braden threw him a belt-high outside changeup. In a couple of weeks, I think, Teixeira parks that one, or at least hits it off the wall. He also only managed to foul off a changeup right down Broadway two pitches earlier.

Joys

The triple play, of course.

Marcus Thames continuing to pound the ball against lefties. This is why the Yankees signed him and kept him on board despite a slow spring. I’m sure many of us thought he’d be the first to be DFA’d this year, but that’s almost certainly going to be Winn. Too bad the Braves would never trade them Hinske.

Dallas Braden. You can file his performance under annoyances, but his post-game interview was great. He basically ripped on A-Rod for jogging across the mound, even touching the rubber, while returning to first base after a Robinson Cano foul ball. A-Rod later said that, “It’s not really a big deal.” I wonder why Braden made it seem like one.

WPA Graph

This one is pretty boring.

The full breakdown at FanGraphs.

Next Up

The Yanks travel down the coast for their second meeting of the year with Anaheim. Thankfully, there’s only one 10 p.m. start. That would be tomorrow night, with A.J. Burnett going for the Yanks against Ervin Santana for the Halos.

Categories : Game Stories

1. So I realize Nick Johnson is OBP Jesus and all, but would it kill him to hit the ball? Just once?

Also, Derek swinging at the first pitch makes me want to kill kittens.

But, optimistically, Teixeira looks like he’s coming out of it. Which is good.

And CC saved the pen on a night we didn’t really have one. Awesome.

• JGS says:

That .185 babip (even lower after today) can’t last too much longer

• bexarama says:

is that Teixeira or NJ? In other news, the amount of bile I’ve seen piled on NJ in the past day or two is absolutely hilarious

• JGS says:

NJ. Tex’s was an even more ridiculous .135

• dalelama says:

You must admit Bexy I have been consistently down on Nj since the day we acquired him and let the mighty Godzilla go. I sincerely hoped I was going to be wrong but…..What happens in the playoffs when the pitching and umpiring gets better? Those gimme walks decrease and a man must use his stick…LOL

• In what world does the umpiring get better in the playoffs?

• bexarama says:

Yep, you have been consistently negative about him. And it’s pretty annoying and pathetic. Also, lol @ umpiring in the postseason getting better

We’ve generally been playing pretty good teams with good pitching if you didn’t notice. Like, you know, Boston, who I believe you said you’d bet your wife’s life would win the World Series. Your posts are just generally kind of clueless and your hate boner for NJ makes the OBP Jesus cry.

• mustang says:

“pitch makes me want to kill kittens.”

Come on now have a heart.

LOL

• Doug says:

OBP Jesus came not for the RBI, but for the widow and the orphan and the least of these.

• Rose says:

Nick Johnson and his Jesus-like OBP have scored 7 runs this season. That’s it. Having a .400+ OBP is good when you score a lot of runs…if you don’t score a lot of runs and have a .400+ OBP…you’re just patting more down for your personal statistics (albeit, not on purpose). Just sayin’

• DF says:

No, whether or not you score a run has very little to do with you. Unless you hit a home run, you can’t drive yourself in. Johnson’s job is to get on base. He’s been doing that. It is the job of those after him to drive him in.

• Rose says:

Yes. And I said that. All I was saying is that he’s getting on base…but he’s not scoring runs. Therefore, the getting on base thus far (despite his horrible BA) hasn’t really meant anything. It MAY mean something in the future. Thus far though, it hasn’t.

• Dirty Pena says:

This is truly disastrous logic.

• So it’s NJ’s fault that Teixeira hasn’t hit shit this season?

Think before you type, man.

• Rose says:

See, I don’t recall saying that it’s anybody’s fault. Why does it have to be somebody’s “fault”? I don’t get it. All I’m saying is that his OBP hasn’t mattered that much thus far, that’s all. Regardless of who’s fault it is…it hasn’t been that big of a factor.

• Zack says:

“All I’m saying is that his OBP hasn’t mattered that much thus far, that’s all.”

Mark Teixeira scored 9 runs this season with a .279 OBP; does that mean his OBP has been a bigger factor than NJ’s .382 OBP?

• Rose says:

You essentially sign a player who gets on base…to get on base so you have a higher probability to score runs. You don’t sign him so that he just simply gets on base. There’s another larger part to signing a player who gets on base. The probability of him scoring a run becomes that much greater. THAT is why you sign them. That being said…Yes, thus far…Tex has provided more production with his .279 OBP than Nick Johnson has with his .382 OBP. Of course – this is excluding NJ taking a bunch of pitches that Tex and Arod can look at. I am merely talking about NJ’s OBP and the results that have followed thus far.

• Rose says:

No, it’s not Nick Johnson’s fault. He’s gotten on base. BUT, he hasn’t scored. It’s not his fault…but that’s just the way it goes.

If somebody hires me at work to run a program because I’m good at something…they pay me a large amount of money to do so…and the next guy in line who’s suppose to format the program (and usually does an outstanding job at it) screws everything up. Do I still get congratulated for my part of it and what I did?

No, I certainly don’t.

That’s all I’m saying.

• Zack says:

“Tex has provided more production with his .279 OBP than Nick Johnson has with his .382 OBP.”

Because he’s been knocked in 2 more times than NJ? So his production is based on if the guy behind him is in a slump or not?

• Rose says:

I’m sure of the point you’re trying to make. Are you saying that Nick Johnson just standing on first base is more productive than Mark Teixeira hitting in and scoring more runs (albeit both undeniably sad at the moment)?

• Rose says:

I’m not sure of the point you’re trying to make.

Whoops

• Zack says:

NJ has 18 walks, 3 singles, 2 doubles, 1 HR
                  Tex has 11 walks, 3 sigles, 2 doubles, 2 HR

So the player with 1 more HR and 7 less walks is more productive?

• Rose says:

Teixeira has driven in 2 more runs and scored 2 more runs than Nick Johnson. THAT is more productive. Hitting the same amount of singles doesn’t really mean anything.

I’m not saying Nick Johnson hasn’t done his job. I’m just saying that him doing his job has not produced much.

I can do my job incredibly…but if it doesn’t make the company any money…it really doesn’t matter as much as the other guy who does a mediocre job but makes the company more money…does it?

Is the point to get everyone to just do their job? Or is the point for the company to make as much money as possible?

• Zack says:

This runs/rbis/wins/losses topic has been covered many times, I’m not going through the motions again.

Tex has been more productive because he has 2 more Runs and RBIs than NJ. Maybe if ARod wasnt hitting .300/.400 then NJ would be more productive because Tex would have less runs.

• Rose says:

Maybe? That’s why they make specific line ups isn’t it? They don’t make specific line ups so that people just get to first base 4 times out of 10. They specifically tweak line ups so that the end result is that they score a lot of runs to help the team win. Had Nick Johnson hit in front of Teixeira he probably would have scored a lot more runs than Tex. You’re right. But he didn’t hit in front of Arod and he didn’t score a lot of runs…so that doesn’t matter either.

Fact of the matter is…while he did his job…the end result of him doing his job wasn’t there. Knowing that there is somebody slumping badly behind you…you might want to change your approach and swing a little bit more knowing that you probably won’t get much further than 1B with a walk and somebody slumping as badly as Tex hitting immediately behind you at first. Once they start hitting…then perhaps you go back to your previous approach in which you get on base and the big guys can hit you in. That’s all I was saying.

• And his OBP hasn’t mattered because Teixeira has been slumping. Meanwhile, Teixeira has scored more runs with a lower OBP. Look at the guy who’s hitting behind him.

You have a knack for pointing out an interesting anomaly and making it sound like a big deal.

• Rose says:

I guess? But I’m not the one making it a big deal. Everybody else is.

People were talking about Nick Johnson’s OBP and such and I just simply said that despite his good OBP…he only scored 7 runs so it hasn’t really mattered thus far.

From there, people reacted or overreacted accordingly. I didn’t put a gun to anybody’s head or force feed it to anybody. I simply just made a comment that was relevent to the conversation.

• Spaceman.Spiff says:

You made a comment with undeniably flawed logic that derailed the conversation. Thank you.

• Rose says:

I made a comment that included factual information that everybody else would rather sugar coat. Not my problem.

Nick Johnson getting on base and not scoring runs has done little for the team thus far. Regardless of how you want to sugar coat it.

That was my point.

• keithr says:

It was awful.

• bexarama says:

Rose… I’m not trying to attack you so don’t get prickly, but why even bring that up at all? Damon led the team in runs last year with 107 along with Jeter, and as Nick Johnson having an OBP of .365 (Damon’s last year) would be a vague disappointment, once Teixeira starts hitting, I fully expect him to score lots and lots of runs.

• Rose says:

It’s awful that Nick Johnson has a .382 OBP hitting in front of Tex and Arod and only scoring 7 runs? Or my comment reciting the actual events that happened is awful?

Don’t kill the messenger…

• Rose says:

Why do people bring up grammatical errors or point out legitimacy flaws when it’s clear that they were speaking loosely? Happens constantly and is even less relevant than my comment that may have upset a few.

I brought it up because it points out that walking to first base only gets you so far. Your Johnny Damon comparison is a great example. Who would you say was more productive? A guy with a .365 OBP but led the league in scoring? Or somebody who had a .400 OBP but scored 75-80 runs? Not that this is happening…but just hypothetically for arguments sake. I would say the .365 OBP guy was more productive, personally. With what was an automatic out and another struggling player behind him before…he may have been better off trying to swing the bat a little more. Once those 2 start hitting again (and they’ve showed some signs)…then simply taking first base becomes a little more useful.

But this was all my opinion. I wasn’t holding a service preaching to everyone that they must follow my lead or anything.

• Rob H. says:

It’s not NJ’s fault that he isn’t scoring more runs. He can’t drive himself in. Criticizing NJ for lack of runs scored is just wrong because he can’t control what the people behind him are doing. And if you aren’t blaming NJ or criticizing him then why bring it up in the first place?

• Rob H. says:

So what’s your problem then? The fact that NJ is only walking to first base and not hitting singles and thus getting to first base anyway?

• bexarama says:

This is an odd argument. I see how you can think the guy who scored 100 runs was more productive but if the Yankees had Nick Johnson and his .426 OBP last year batting second, he almost undoubtedly would have scored more runs than Damon, and therefore would have been more productive in your eyes. “Runs” are almost completely team-dependent.

• Rose says:

Swinging the bat more improves his probability of getting PAST first base significantly more…and also makes a lot more sense to try out when the guy hitting behind you was very close to an automatic out.

And I’ve stated several times that it’s not NJ’s fault. I just offered a different scenario that he could have swung a bit more due to the circumstances that presented themselves.

• Rose says:

Nick had an OBP of .426 last year because he was one of the few players on that team that could actually hit (and had patience). So it was easier for them to offer up a free pass to him and even pitch around Zimmerman at times to get to some of the younger less patient kids. Nick Johnson in this line up and Nick Johnson in that line up are almost too different to compare. The bottom line is, he has a great eye and has continued to get on base for the Yankees. He just hasn’t scored due to various factors. One could argue that if he swung the bat a bit more he would raise his probability of hitting an extra base hit which would in turn increase his probability of scoring runs. That was the difference with Damon and Johnson (thus far between 2009 and 2010). Damon would take a pass to first but he would also make the pitcher even more nervous with his fouling off of pitches, array of doubles and knack for a cheap home run here and there. With NJ, he’s incredibly slow so he’s not AS big of a liability when standing on 1B.

Bottom line, I’m not worried about anything…I was just suggesting that he probably should have been swinging with 2 slumping players hitting behind him that’s all.

• Zack says:

Jeter is hitting .323 with a .364 OBP, he’s only scored 9 runs. That’s it. As the leadoff hitter, and drove himself in 3 times with HRs.

So is Jeter just patting stats too?

• Rose says:

I never said they were purposely doing anything. But if you get on base and don’t score runs…the getting on base doesn’t mean as much does it?

• Zack says:

So getting on base and not scoring doesnt mean much? So you rather have them not get on base at all?

• Rose says:

Did I say that? Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? All I’m saying is that his getting on base thus far hasn’t really mattered much to anybody other than himself. That was my main point. You getting angry and upset about it certainly wasn’t my point.

• Zack says:

He’s been on base, but hasn’t scored. So getting on base doesnt mean as much.

That’s your point?

• Rose says:

Well everybody was boasting about him being an OBP machine…and he is…but I was just pointing out the fact that (thus far) it hasn’t mattered. That’s all. Plain and simple. Doesn’t mean that it’s his fault…doesn’t mean that him continuing to get on base will continue to not matter…I was just pointing out that him simply reaching nothing further than first base (thus far) hasn’t mattered.

2. JGS says:

Only two players with positive WPAs. Ouch

3. mike c says:

the whole infield is probably going to have GG’s this year

4. mustang says:

“I’m sure many of us thought he’d be the first to be DFA’d this year, but that’s almost certainly going to be Winn. Too bad the Braves would never trade them Hinske.”

All this two weeks into the season. Ok then !

5. bexarama says:

CC’s ridiculous. He didn’t have much good today, walked too many guys, looked really uncomfortable, and still gave up just 3 ER in 8 innings.

It was annoying that it seemed like so many of the Yankee outs were looooong fly outs.

• dalelama says:

As my old coach used to say, “It ain’t nothing but a pop-up, give me a blue dotter.” Old slang for the blue dot put on the scorecard to indicate a line drive.

6. JobaTheHeat62 says:

Dallas Braden…what a character…His post game rant was hilarious, but you get the sense that he tried really hard to downplay it because he just had to know in the back of his mind the media was going to destroy him, but at the same time he just kept getting more and more fired up as he talked about it. I love A-ROD, big fucking deal, I loved it when he knocked the ball out of Vaginateks glove, I loved when he just said “Ha” and it scared the Blue Jays so bad, they dropped the ball, and I hope he makes a habit of running on “his mound” his mound? wow..and yes you still are the doormat, you have a miserable stadium, a miserable fan base, and you are destined to be in last place in your division.

A-ROD > Dallas Braden’s pitching mound

• Dirty Pena says:

I don’t understand where Dallas Braden, some no-name, gets off telling a first ballot Hall of Famer where he can and can’t be on the field. If this was anyone other than A-Rod I think there’d be a lot more hate towards Braden.

• JobaTheHeat62 says:

even if it is an unwritten rule, its very very stupid. yea A-ROD really is a lightning rod for this sort of stuff.

• Doug says:

Did you see the back and forth quotes in the Times recap?

A-Rod was all “why should I listen to this guy, he’s only got a handful of wins in the AL.”

And Braden said “I don’t have a handful. I have THREE.”

Not sure if a comeback…

• JobaTheHeat62 says:

yea I heard that part..He also said the only history him and Alex had was he hit a bomb off of me. what a goon

• bexarama says:

how do you really feel? ;)

I thought it was pretty funny too. Braden was just SO MAD about it, and A-Rod was super chill. Braden’s possibly still crying and/or screaming about it while A-Rod is like nailing Cameron Diaz right now.

• poster says:

“Vaginatek”?

• Tom Zig says:

If by Vaginatek you mean Bronson Arroyo…sure.

• Jammy Jammers says:

I think Braden’s exact quote during the game was:
      “Get outta my house! Get outta my house!”

/Sling Blade’d

7. BigBlueAL says:

I honestly have never heard of this “unwritten rule” that Arod apparently broke today. Tell Braden to shut the hell up and be grateful the Yankees let him win today.

• Dirty Pena says:

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t exist. What a ridiculous thing to get annoyed about.

• nolan says:

there is no unwritten rule. I never pitched professionally, but I pitched in college, high school, summer leagues etc etc. There is no rule about baserunners running on or near the mound. Braden is an over-agressive meathead. Listen to his word choice…THATS MY MOUND. No..it’s not. Its THE mound. There is only one and both pitchers use it. Its also on the field of play where all the other players are. Imagine if Arod cursed out every A’s base runner who came near third base all the while screaming “thats my base!” Totally insane.

• Dirty Pena says:

Yeah exactly. Imagine A-Rod rounded 2nd on his way back, and Rosales started bitching about it.

• nolan says:

haha…arod should have said he would have retraced his path by going back to 2nd and then to first..but that he was just trying to speed up the game RE joe wests comments and so he took the direct path to 1st base

8. Salty Buggah says:

Aside from a couple of good plays, good thing I missed this game today (but being addicted to baseball as I am, I will now stay up until 3 watching this game).

9. Salty Buggah says:

Not to sound like a hater but the A’s have one weird team. Duchscherer with his IBS (though I won’t make fun of that as it seems like an annoying disorder and it isn’t his fault), Anderson with his OCD (you know, the way he drinks water, makes faces, and blinks before going to pitch every inning), and Braden with the possessive characteristics of normally found in 2 year olds.

• bexarama says:

this made me laugh. Duchscherer seems like a jerk after his comments about the Yankees, though. Also, you forgot that Zito is from there and he is the king of weirdness.

Jeremy Giambi also somehow was a professional baseball player that didn’t know how to slide properly. ;)

10. Why you gotta go and step on his mound, huh?

11. Beef Hammerdong says:

Oakland needs some prescription bud like RIGHT NOW!

12. Carl says:

Crazy Fact of the Day. Last year CC Sabathia on April 22, 2009, gave up a 3-run homer to Kurt Suzuki

13. Peter says:

Tex’s right-handed swing is so heady. His left-handed swing is weird (don’t get me wrong, it works way more than just fine), but that right-handed swing is textbook–so sweet.

But fuck that guy.

14. BigBlueAL says:

I finally saw Arod talking about Braden (same as the quotes you read) and must say its pretty fuckin funny. He looks arrogant as shit talkin about it but I loved it.

15. poster says:

I was really pissed when Tex swung at the 2-0 pitch and flew out. WTF/ We’re down by two, it’s a 2-0 count, and you have A-Rod up behind you. Take a damn strike.

A-Rod did the same thing, I think. That annoyed me.

• larryf says:

and taking the 3-2 fastball the night before with a double steal when Jeter gets thrown out at 3rd. Tex has been frustrating but we all know about 39 HR/121 rbi’s after last April…

16. dkidd says:

no one saw more than 16 pitches today! they were fine with winning or losing! that’s been going on around here for a long time but no more!

/leyland’d

17. Opus says:

20 years from now, mention the name “Alex Rodriguez” and you’ll hear the following responses: one of the greatest of all time, home run champion (assumption), 2009 postseason hero, richest contracts in history, steroid cheater, (one of many) guy(s) who nailed Kate Hudson… and those are just a few.

20 years from now, mention the name “Dallas Braden”, and you’ll hear farting so loud, you’d think it was the bombing of Baghdad.

18. dalelama says:

Face it fellows if Joba had done the same thing if Youklis crossed the mound and rubber we would be extolling his tenacious, bulldog approach. If I were Oakland management I would dig Braden’s fire.

• DF says:

I disagree. While I would endlessly amused by Joba or anyone else messing with Youkilis, bitching about someone stepping on “your” mound is stupid no matter who you are or what team you play for. Is there anyone who’s ever heard of this supposed unwritten rule?

• Chris says:

I haven’t seen a replay of A-Rod running across the mound, but unless he literally brushed Braden, then his response was ridiculous.

• CS Yankee says:

Agreed, the A’s need passion to match against a much higher regarded, talented team like the Yankees.

This is some of the Arod baggage…while I use to wish he was more Cap’t like, now I accept his desire to win has no bounds. Drugs, bush league, living at the gym, etc.

Arod is clearly a top 3 talent in the game and he is willing to do anything to get in the pitchers head, the managers head, the batboys head. From Ty Cobb to Pete Rose, those guys would laugh at the calmness of the game today.

Arod just being Arod & an inferior team putting a chip on their shoulder.

19. vault boy says:

dallas braden rules. a crafty soft-tossing lefty who also happens to be completely insane? i’d watch him every day.

20. Opus says:

Read the comments on this story on Yahoo Sports, you’d think A-Rod raped Braden’s mother.