Apr

Open Thread: The 2010 New York Yankees

Here’s the 25-man Opening Day roster…

Catchers

Joba Chamberlain
Damaso Marte
Sergio Mitre
Al Aceves
David Robertson
Chan Ho Park

The exhibition season is over, the team is heading up to Boston, and tomorrow night the grind begins. I can’t wait.

* * *

Here’s the open thread for the night. The Islanders already won, but the Devils, Rangers, and Nets are all in action. That Rangers’ game is another one with major playoff implications. Talk about whatever you want, but make it count, this is the last open thread of the 2009-2010 offseason.

Categories : Open Thread

1. this is the last open thread of the 2009-2010 offseason.

EEEE!!!

/giddy dancing

2. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Screw the open threads, soon the Game Day Threads will be here!!!!!

3. Brooklyn Ed says:

time to start a pool of when will either Winn or Thames will be DFA?

4. bexarama says:

I was at the supermarket buying stuff and I saw “petite carrots” and thought it said “pettitte carrots” and was extremely confused, baseball really cannot be here soon enough

5. MP says:

Looks solid to me. I feel very confident going into battle with this squad.

6. W.W.J.M.D. says:

I can’t wait for tomorrow, I’m going to a restaurant called Foxboro. My friend is a Sox fan. so for games at Fenway we go there and then for games at YSIII we go to a place called Stevie Tomato’s since the owners are Yankee fans. I’m not sure if I should wear my WS Champs shirt or Jeter jersey with the WS Champs patch on the sleeve.

• Tom Zig says:

Depends on how much shit you’re willing to take.

• W.W.J.M.D. says:

Well I think either way I’m gonna hear it, but I guess wearing the jersey would add some more sense it’s a lot more obvious then having to read a shirt instead of just seeing b-a-u-t-full pinstripes.

• Joey says:

I’m guessing you live in Naples? Went there with friends who live there (go to UCF in Orlando) and they made me go to Foxboros after their HS coconut bowl game. Next time I go I’ll definitely demand Stevie Tomato’s

• W.W.J.M.D. says:

You guessed correctly. But i actually just found out that the Stevie’s I went to closed down :(, my friend played baseball with the owners son and I guess they all moved back up north, Canada I think. I’m gonna have to find a new place for home games.

7. Yages says:

My only gripe is that Mitre is on the team and Melancon isn’t.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Melancon will get his big league innings this year. I guarantee it.

• Evilest Empire says:

Eh. He’ll be up soon enough. Mitre is the best suited for long relief. Storing Melancon in AAA is just hedging your bet, who knows which guy ends up not getting the job done? Could just as well be a guy like Chop or Ace who gets replaced first.

• ColoYank says:

Boone Logan: over/under 25 appearances for the Yanks in ’10?

• Jose says:

I’ll take the under on that. Too many guys will end up getting on base for him to have that many chances.

• Dirty Pena says:

I’m confused. Can you explain your reasoning? (Not trying to be a dick)

• Jose says:

Career 1.692 WHIP, 80 ERA+, and 4.86 tERA will rear their ugly heads in the AL East. A lot of guys will get on base against him and a lot of guys will score. The Yankees will get rid of him before he ever reaches 25 appearances. That is my prediction.

8. Andy_C_23 says:

I’m kinda pissed Gus Johnson’s not doing this Butler/Michigan State game

9. Evilest Empire says:

This team is stacked. The Big Pinstriped Machine?

10. The Three Amigos says:

I think its amazing that former Yankee prospects leave the Yanks and become sure fire all stars…

Austin Jackson is going to be the ROY according to Espn and everyone remembers Arodys Viscaino went from a 3 star to a 4 star prospect according to BA in 1 months time after being traded.

Now I know ESPN personalities are borderline reTards, but I mean come on.

11. I just started my blog. It’s linked to in my name. Here’s a link to my first post. I’d like some advice and how I can make it better. It will be noted and thanked. http://stateofmlb.blogspot.com.....-pena.html

I can’t wait for the season to start. I also really can’t wait for us to play the Angels, as I’m going with my dad to the second game on April 14th.

12. pat says:

Not a good idea to be in the bonus situation with 12 minutes to go in the first half.

13. AndrewYF says:

Just drafted a fantasy team on CBS Sportsline.

10-team league, 5 X 5 scoring, weekly lineups, no IP limit
    2 Catchers, 1 each of 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, U. 5 OF. 9 active pitchers.
    29 roster spots.

P – Brian Wilson
    P – Leo Nunez
    P – Neftali Feliz

Reserves:
    Brad Lidge
    Takashi Saito

Instant concerns: My AVG is going to be pretty horrible, and I don’t have a proven 40-SB guy. My OF has some solid players, but has the potential to be really weak. The back two guys in my rotation are really young. They could be really good or pretty bad, a wide margin. My two closers do not inspire that much confidence. Brad Lidge having a good year would really help.

Instant pros: I have a pretty nice rotation, although I’ve never been in a 10-person league so I don’t know how strong it really is. I could have really nice HR/RBI numbers. I count 6 guys who I can pencil in for 25 HR, one of which is Cruz who will likely hit 30, and Howard who will likely hit 40.

Anyway, there’s my team. I got two starting catchers because A) You have to play two catchers, and B) Because of this, catching is really, really thin, so I can get good value out of one of these guys. Who should I target, considering my team? And do I possibly have enough to win the league, or do I not stand a chance?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Your pitching is pretty nice. I don’t know about keeping Neftali since I do not think he’s starting or even closing. Another good closer would be helpful too.

Lineup could be be a bit better for a 10 man though. Try trading your spare shortstops to anyone who might need them for a power bat.

14. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Since the Yankees are rumored to be looking for outfield help, would Jack Cust be a good waiver pickup? I don’t really see an upgrade in any offensive category other than power, and he would most likely be horrid defensively in left.

15. Jose says:

Cool short article on team name origins:

16. Dirty Pena, are you still here?

17. OK, so I’m pissed off. I’m working on a Windows Program, using Microsoft’s development tool, Visual Studio.
    It has a feature called “AutoComplete”, which, as you type in programming code, pops up a list of possible matches which you can choose, and it will fill it in for you.

I was writing some code that drew lines and shapes on the screen, and I wanted a particular color. Visual Studio popped up a list of “named colors”, like “AliceBlue”, “LightSteelBlue”, “DarkGreen”, etc.

Then I see it, in the list:

“DodgerBlue”.

And no YankeeBlue! WTH is the matter with them! Damn Microsoft! :-)

18. Andy_C_23 says:

I think my hatred of Duke rivals my hatred of the Red Sox and Eagles. Does anybody else hate Duke as much as I?

• Well, I don’t follow college ball, or basketball in general, either, since Ewing retired.

So, that’s one vote for “No”, I guess.

• Andy_C_23 says:

Yeah, I stopped following the NBA when the Knicks traded Starks. I only dabble with the college game, so that should say something about how much I hate Duke.

• Dirty Pena says:

Same here.

• Dirty Pena says:

I hate Duke as much as I hate the Eagles. Not the Red Sox though. Definitely not the Red Sox. I still can’t believe I went to college for two of their godforsaken World Series wins. Only people who are now 113 had it worse.

• Andy_C_23 says:

I (kind of) feel your pain. I went to Saint Joe’s (in Philly) while the Eagles were running sh*t in the NFL (02-06), and to make matters worse I lived with a huge Masshole during the ’04 baseball playoffs. Talk about being in enemy territory.

• Dirty Pena says:

Yeah, I was in DC. Plenty of Eagles/Red Sox fans there. The Eagles/Patriots Super Bowl was far and away the worst sporting event (going in) ever.

• Andy_C_23 says:

“The Eagles/Patriots Super Bowl was far and away the worst sporting event (going in) ever”

You don’t have to tell me. I had to hear it from the dirtbags 24 hours a day. Thank Mo I got the last laugh; I NEVER would have heard the end of it.

Moral of my story: Eagles fans are trash

• bexarama says:

were you in college in Boston? You poor thing if so.

I was in college for one of their WSes, but I was abroad. So, not so bad. Kinda funny to see them all crowing about their big comeback in the 2008 ALCS only to lose to the Rays anyway

19. bexarama says:

since I do a lot of complaining about broadcasters, let me just say: I could listen to Vin Scully alllllll day. Love him.

(though he just called the Angels the #1 offense in baseball in 2009. Huh?)

• bexarama says:

And we’re back to some bad sportswriting/broadcasting:

LOL wut, why are they comparing Lester and Hughes???

• Troy says:

The reason we give them the slight edge is that they don’t have the possible hangover effect from last year’s postseason.

What the hell, Marchand? He’s the only person I can think of who I don’t detest, but the initial reason why the Sox get the edge is because they won’t have a POSSIBLE hangover effect? Andrew…you’re better than this.

• Steve H says:

A few years back, Hughes and Joba Chamberlain, along with Lester and Buchholz, were all grouped together.

Lester is 2.5 years older than Hughes and 1.5 years older than Joba.
        Buchholz is 2 years older than Hughes and 1 year older than Joba.

Lester is the Red Sox #2 pitcher(and truly #1), Hughes is the #5. Yeah, lets compare those two.

• I think Scully left out “..in the A.L. West” there.

• ColoYank says:

I know it’s late, bexy, but just in case you read this, I wanted to compliment you on your taste in announcers. I plan to watch some Dodger games on MLB.tv just to listen to Vin spin his tale of the night. He’s nothing short of brilliant, a new delight every night.

He had one rival in my experience, and that was the late, great Bill King, who did A’s baseball for most of the time I lived in California (24 years), plus equal brilliance on Warriors and Raiders games. It was a very common practice to turn off the network sound and leave the radio on and watch the game with Bill.

• bexarama says:

hey – I’m an unemployed pretty much insomniac and I didn’t have anything to do tonight, so I’m still up. Thank you. :)

I really love him. He’s fantastic. He just really has a penchant for sounding incredibly poetic with everything he says, and it’s so effortless. Obviously, he talks pretty much incessantly, but he’s really rarely annoying or insipid. Guy has a gift. Definitely listening to him during the Yankees/Dodgers series this year.

Never heard that other guy because I’m a youngin’.

(Russell Martin is playing… isn’t he on the DL?)

20. W.W.J.M.D. says:

Haven’t Axisa on here today but I’m watching BBTN and they are talking about Mike Keake from the Reds. I was wondering who he was because I’ve never heard of him but he seems to be all the rage since he beat out Chapman.

• Mike Axisa says:

Mike Leake, was their first round pick last year, 8th overall I believe. Hasn’t spent a day in the minors. Last pitcher to go straight from college to the bigs was Darren Dreifort as a reliever. Jim Abbott was the last one to do it as a starter.

He’s not a big stuff guy, throws 89-91, but he’s got five pitches, mixes them up real well, and throws them all for strikes.

21. bexarama says:

this time tomorrow we’ll be in what, the fifth inning?
    /obvious joke’d

22. Salty Buggah says:

See ya offseason. Wasn’t really nice knowing you but whatever.

23. Peter says:

wait was I dreaming about a post with the YES network debuting new in-game graphics? or am I incapable of finding it right now?

24. bexarama says:

holy crap the Mets got annihilated by the Orioles today

and Meija is in the major league bullpen

and GMJ is their opening day CF

and their 1B while Murphy is out, who probably shouldn’t be in the big leagues yet, is batting in front of Bay

what?

25. ultimate913 says:

At this time tomorrow, we’ll either be talking about how nice it was to see the Yankees win, talking about how nice it is to see the Yanks start a losing streak against the Sox(repeat of last year) or jumping off the bridge. With the season about to start, I just have to say that you(Mike), Ben, Joe and the commentators who make this site so much fun. Thanks for a great 2009 season and offseason. Keep up the good work.

26. Yankees says:

New York Yankees,
    With their rich history,
    Will remain always towers,
    Of sports, and friends of victory.
    As fans, we love them.
    As fans, we follow them.
    If they win we appreciate,
    If they lost, we keep support.
    Long live Yankees!
    You deserve big prizes!
    Yankees Tickets we do buy.
    For the price we do not cry!