Apr

Open Thread: The spoils for the victors

Take a good, long look at that beauty. That’s what you get when you win the World Series.

The Yankees and the Balfour jewelry company teamed up to bring the team a hand-crafted ring made of natural-finished white gold. The NY logo is diamond-clustered, and it rises up from a diamond-lined baseball diamond. On one side, Yankee Stadium is engraved on the ring while the other features the Yankees logo and a nod to tradition and unity.

In addition to the new rings the Yanks handed out today, Balfour and the Bombers announced an upcoming museum exhibit set for Opening Day 2011. The jeweler is going to produce replicas from all 27 World Series rings in franchise history and display them along with information about the details of each. This bling-filled display will go up at Yankee Stadium next year.

Meanwhile, Joe, Mike and I hit up Opening Day today to watch the Yanks beat the Angels 7-5 in a game that wasn’t nearly as close as the final score indicated. We’ll have our extended recap up later tonight. For now, I have pictures. The full set of my photos from the ring ceremony is available here on flickr. Below are a few of my favorites.

Mariano admires the ring

Number 42

A-Rod salutes the crowd

A-Rod Waves

A group hug with Hideki

Group Hug

After the jump, I’ve embedded the full slide show. Use this thread as your open thread. In local action, the Mets and the Rockies play at 8:40 p.m., and there’s a new episode of LOST tonight. Have it. Be good to each other.

Photo Credit: The photos of the ring are courtesy of the New York Yankees. All other photos by Benjamin Kabak.

Categories : Open Thread

1. That ring is absolutely gorgeous.

In other news, starting IPK in fantasy baseball was a bad idea: 4.1 IP, 6 ER, 2 K.

2. Zack says:

Ridiculous ring, I had class earlier so I get to watch the encore now.

And good to see Gene Monahan made it to the stadium.

3. The Yankees should trade for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. I’d love to see them try to fit his name on the side of that thing next year.

4. pat says:

Love the detail of the stadium on the side.

5. Do teams ever make a point to do a mini ring-ceremony for former players who return with their new teams but who aren’t there for the official ceremony? Just wondering if they’ll do something like that for Damon, it would be a nice touch.

6. JGS says:

nice, I was there too–anyone else think Torii Hunter has lost a step or five in the outfield?

7. TSJC, your main man, D’Angelo Mack, just went yard.

8. Salty Buggah says:

Is there any way to watch the ring ceremony again for out-of-state people like me?

9. Brad Toughy says:

Fantasy advice – start any pitcher against any team that participated in the 2005 World Series.

10. Ahhhhhh, I really need to stay away from Twitter and Facebook until I catch up on 24.

/Glaring at the person who spoiled the fact that a certain somebody died last night

11. Ivan Nova’s picture looks a little like Carmelo Anthony

12. Dylan says:

Did anyone notice they reduced the length of the Y in the yankees NY logo? Seems ridiculous to alter THE logo on a ring.

13. pollo says:

94. Colts - CB Donovan Warren, Michigan
    95. Saints - RB Ben Tate, Auburn
    96. Bengals (comp) - WR David Reed, Utah
    97. Titans (comp) - CB Javier Arenas, Alabama
    98. Falcons (comp) - DT Linval Joseph, East Carolina

——————

I think the Jags are targeting Thomas and thus looking to move down, and the Giants are eager to get above the Broncos to be able to snag McClain (who won’t be there at 15). They give the Jags a 3rd rounder (which is actually a win for the Giants on the trade value chart).

The other trade? The Broncos trade Brandon Marshall to the Cowboys for their first rounder (after the Boys realize that all the LT prospects they’re interested in will be gone.)

———————

Have at it.

15. Esteban in Bariloche, Argentina says:

I have a friend that HATES nick johnson. He thinks that Nick Johnson’s game winning walk was pure luck, and that he’s a garbage baseball player because he has never hit above .300. Is there any hope?

16. Drew says:

Anyone watching the 30 for 30 on AI?

17. Nick says:

I’d buy one.

18. Steve H says:

According to Manion, he was retained by a client six months ago to investigate similar allegations against the 28-year-old Steelers quarterback regarding an incident in a Las Vegas nightclub.

“[The allegations] were absolutely identical to this Georgia girl’s story,” said Manion. “The outcome was that the young woman did not want to proceed, and we did not take any action. There is a history here — and I can’t say any further because we never proceeded with it — but there is a history here that is just super troubling.”

Big Ben needs to stop drinking. Like immediately, or else he might get traded for a 5th round pick. (yeah white, I mean yeah right)

19. JSquared says:

Ricky Romero is just.. Dominating!

20. Steve H says:

ESPN researcher Jason McCallum offers some numbers that underscore Ortiz’ early-season issues. Ortiz has missed 44 percent of his swings this season, more than double the league average (20 percent), while his take percentage — the percentage of pitches taken in the strike zone — is also well above the league average (46 percent to 33 percent). With two strikes, Ortiz has taken a quarter of the strikes thrown to him, compared to the major-league average of 11 percent. Conclusion: He’s missing pitches he should be hitting, and taking pitches he should be hitting.

I giggled.

• Drew says:

For some reason I get no pleasure out of this. I like Big Papi a lot. Of course, when we play him I want him to k 10 times. I don’t get much pleasure in his demise. Cap’n America on the other hand, I would love for him to go 0 for his next 50.

• bexarama says:

He had another profanity-laden meeting with reporters, I think. He’s so cuddly and lovable.

21. It looks like Jimmy Rollins is going to hit the DL so I need to pick up a shortstop. Of course, almost nobody’s available. Should I go with Reid Brignac’s upside or play it safe( r) with Jerry Hairston Jr. (ugh) or Willie Bloomquist (UGH)?

22. pete says:

Is anyone else weirded out by how quickly the yanks seem (key word) to have settled into midseason domination-mode? I already have that feeling like if the matchup favors the yankees (which most do), then they are not only going to win, but are going to do so with a mechanical ease, seeing 20+ pitches every inning, pushing the starter out after 5 or 6, and finishing up with a crisp 7-2 win. It was how I felt last July-September. I like it.

• Drew says:

I think we’re far from mid-season domination mode.

• dkidd says:

i’m so accustomed to slow starts, i don’t know how to react right now

watching them play last april was having a dream where you need to run but your legs won’t work

• Steve H says:

They’ve played 7 games against playoff caliber opponents, 6 on the road, and are 5-2. Coming off a title there can often be some early complacency, but it’s clearly not there. I’m hella impressed so far. I love this team.

• Nope, not one bit. I’ve been extremely confident in this group since February and LOVE what Cash did this off season. I find very few weaknesses on this team, the only thing that could derail them is age or injury.

I’ll be surprised if we DON’T win 100+ games this year. This team is better than last year’s group that won 103. Much deeper pitching, bullpen is more settled out of the gate, better defensively, still plenty of punch. Unlike recent teams that were criticized as ‘bully’ offensive teams that couldn’t field or pitch much (04-08) this team is built to win the 1-run game AND the 8-1 game.

I’m just trying to hold back from comparing this bunch to the 1998 squad, but that’s something that was said about them as well.

• poster says:

As somebody pointed out yesterday, the 1998 squad was awesome, but probably, if you look at the statistics of each individual player of the team and then, w/o knowing the real outcome, extrapolated that out into a full season,they’d be really good but not 114 win good. If you look at the (projected) statistics of each player on the ’10 Yanks, you’d probably come to the conclusion that they’re better than the 98′ Yanks.

• Not a single starting position player on the All Star team that year. That’s part of what made them such a fun group to watch.

Like this team, they had very few weaknesses but they also had a MUCH deeper bench (Girardi/Raines/Strawberry/Davis) which meant that when they gave someone a day off, they didn’t lose much. That’s what Torre credited their outsized success to.

• poster says:

I think this team has more obviously better players. We have potential all stars everywhere…conceivably it could be an all Yankee IF, and a Yankee CF, and two Yankee pitchers (referring to CC and Mo). Our bench isn’t as deep, but our starters are so good that with luck a good bench won’t be as important as it was in 1998, and we could get by well with an okay bench.

• Yeah, I’m going to make this into a post soon, going position by position. I suspect this group will be better in the infield, 98 better in the OF (Bernie had a HUGE year) and the starting staffs will be similar. But I’ll have to do some homework first to see if I’m right.

23. Steve H says:

So Tommie, you have the Pats taking Gresham, but do you still think it’s a bad idea to take a TE? I’m good with it as long as he’s top notch. Then again, the Pats used 1st rounders on Watson and Graham, and while they weren’t Pro Bowlers, they were productive, cheap players for them and overall good value where they were picked. Considering that about 50% of 1st rounders are busts, if you know a TE will be good, I’m ok with using that pick on one.

• My mock is not necessarily what I think is best, but more what I think will happen. I wouldn’t take a TE in Round 1, but Belichick obviously would, since he has on numerous occasions.

• Steve H says:

I agree that a TE likely won’t be one of the most valuable 32 picks in the draft, but I also can see taking one, knowing that half of the 32 picks won’t pan out. If you can get a TE that is a sure thing, or as sure of a thing there is, I don’t mind taking the TE in the 1st round. There’s certainly not the upside of other positions though.

24. bexarama says:

White Sox getting no-hit by Ricky Romero in the seventh. Listening to Hawk Harrelson is a thing of much awesomeness right now.

25. dkidd says:

john maine would like some of whatever ricky romero is having

26. bexarama says:

No-hitter over on an Alex Rios HR (lol).

27. dkidd says:

sucks for romero, but still better than having to pay rios 70M

28. Accent Shallow says:

Well, that’s that.

Gameday thinks it was a changeup high in the zone — who does he think he is, Kei Igawa?

29. Nice range by the Rockies’ OFs. Smith got an awful jump but was still under it and Fowler ran for forever to call him off and get it. Impressive.

30. Montero with the big 2-out 2-RBI single in the 8th to put SWB ahead.

31. bexarama says:

David Wright’s highest SLG outside of his home park is at Coors Field? Wow that’s so shocking

32. God, what it must be like to be an Orioles fan. Matusz is on my fantasy team and I’m cursing their manager.

33. bexarama says:

Dear Ozzie Guillen,

Please post on your Twitter what exactly you would have said to your team if they got no-hit.

Love,
    bexarama

34. John Maine is getting shat on in this inning.

35. Zack says:

Well the Mets game got out of hand fast

36. It makes me sad that this lack of run support discussion is not including Bert Blyleven.

37. chriskeo says:

Who here would not have minded if Matsui hit a solo shot today (pre-9th inning)?

**Assuming the Yankees would eventually win the game either way.

38. bexarama says:

Someone please give John Maine a milkshake. I want to go to Colorado right now and give him like a Happy Meal and tell him everything is going to be okay.

39. Wow. The woman in that Darien Sports Shop ad was really creepy.

Also, I can’t stand when people pronounce it “Dairy-in.” No! It’s “Dairy-Anne!” Say it right!

40. Those burgers looked pretty good.

41. bonestock94 says:

You guys see this?

The caption under hunter’s pic is particularly disturbing..

42. bexarama says:

Luis Castillo just got thrown out at second trying to stretch a single into a double. With an eight-run deficit.

43. poster says:

I know the final score of the game, and I’m watching the encore right now. Robertson must get the shit beat out of him.

44. So my dad wanted to kill me when I suggested that Kevin Brown is a borderline HOFer.

45. JGS says:

Any estimates on how far Johnson’s home run went?

46. bexarama says:

OH MY GOD

The Mets announcers are gonna take calls to the booth in the bottom of the eighth. If I had a blog (other than M&A), I would liveblog this sh-t.

47. Steve H says:

Getting Brett Anderson in the 16th round (not sure why I waited so long) is great. Among players, in the 16th round, picked before him, Juan Rivera, David Aardsma and Ryan Theriot.

48. WIlliam says:

Posada has the 2nd best triple slash line in the AL! What decline?

/SSS’d

49. bexarama says:

They just said Andy Pettitte is comparable to Livan Hernandez on SNY. Urge… to… kill… rising…

Also, Paul Maholm says “Screw you, Buehrle, I’ve got the best play by a pitcher of 2010″: