Apr

The new guys pitch in to beat Sox in extras

There were a few moments in the ninth when it didn’t seem like the Yankees would see extra innings. The Sox nearly ended it a couple of times, but the Yanks hung in there and took advantage during Papelbon’s second inning of work. I’ll take a win against the Sox any way it comes, but it’s so much sweeter when Papelbon is the goat.

Biggest Hit: Curtis Granderson‘s 10th inning jack

Photo credit: Charles Krupa/AP

After a 10-pitch, 1-2-3 ninth inning, Jon Papelbon got the call to face the bottom of the Yankees’ order in the 10th. He had already taken care of the heart of the order, retiring A-Rod, Cano, and Posada in the ninth, so he had a seemingly easier task ahead of him. With the Yankees’ order, though, there is no soft spot. Every hitter can do serious damage. Curtis Granderson, the No. 7 hitter, proved that almost immediately.

Papelbon opened the at-bat with a fastball low in the zone, his 10th in 11 pitches. Granderson fouled it off. Once again Papelbon went with the fastball, this time leaving it up in the zone. Victor Martinez set up low, but it looked like Papelbon just missed his spot. Granderson sent it well over the right field wall, giving the Yankees the lead and leaving the game up to Mo. That’s never a bad thing.

Honorable Mention: Nick Swisher‘s RBI single

Photo credit: Elise Amendola/AP

For three full innings the Sox held a 1-0 lead. John Lackey didn’t exactly work efficiently, but the Yanks couldn’t get anything going off him. Then, in the seventh, with Lackey’s pitch count at exactly 100, the Sox went to the bullpen. With two lefties and a switch hitter due up, Francona went to Scott Schoeneweis. He did his job against the two lefties, striking out both Robinson Cano and Curtis Granderson. His trouble, however, came from Jorge Posada, who doubled on a slider right in his wheelhouse.

With another switch-hitter, Nick Swisher, due up, Francona went to Dan Bard to finish the inning. He started Swisher with a 97 mph fastball on the inside edge, which Swisher fouled away. The next pitch was similar, though it caught a bit more of the plate. Same result. The third pitch had a bit more zip, registering at 99 mph, but again Swisher fouled it off. For the fourth and final pitch, Bard took a little bit off. The pitch registered at 91, but it featured a bit more movement than the previous three pitches. Movement or not, though, it was right over the heart of the plate and Swisher slapped it on the ground to right.

The ensuing play would have been more comical if 1) it wasn’t close and 2) if Jorge hadn’t hit the ground hard. J.D. Drew’s throw home was a bit up the line and Victor Martinez had to reach out to get it. Jorge was just about at the plate by that point, and the two got a bit tied up trying to avoid a big collision. The ball rolled away and Jorge touched up to tie the game.

Biggest Pitch: Ortiz finally gets a hit

Photo credit: Elise Amendola/AP

David Ortiz gave us all a chuckle with his expletive laden rambling last night, but in the third inning last night he was no laughing matter. Dustin Pedroia doubled down the left field line to open the inning, but Andy Pettitte came back to retire Victor Martinez and Kevin Youkiis. To escape the frame without damage all he had to do was retire David Ortiz, 0 for the season at the time with just one walk.

Pettitte started the at-bat with a low fastball called for strike one. Then he went to the cutter, throwing it three straight times and getting one swing and miss, bringing the count to 2-2. For the fifth pitch he went back to the fastball, this time looking inside. This one didn’t have as much life on it as the first pitch, which allowed Ortiz to extend his arms and smack it to right. Were Jesse Barfield in right he probably would have gotten Pedroia at the plate. Nick Swisher, however, didn’t get nearly enough on the throw and the Sox took an early 1-0 lead.

Biggest Blunder: A-Rod’s DP in the 6th

As John Lackey’s pitch count rose it looked like the Yankees were finally getting to him. Derek Jeter led off the sixth by working a 2-2 count, reaching base when Lackey hit him in the back. Nick Johnson, looking for his first hit smoked the seventh pitch of the at-bat to right. It was within J.D. Drew’s range, though. Teixeira then walked, putting runners at first and second with one out for A-Rod, hitless so far on the night.

It looked like the Yanks had Lackey on the ropes. He had already thrown 17 pitches in the inning and his first pitch to A-Rod would be his 99th. Yet A-Rod swung at the first pitch. It was somewhat in his wheelhouse, a 91 mph cutter on the inner half. He only managed to foul it away, though. Lackey came back with another hittable pitch in about the same location, this time a four-seamer, but A-Rod didn’t put a good swing on it. A grounder to third meant an around the horn double play, ending the threat.

In addition to having the biggest negative WPA play for the Yankees, A-Rod also had by far the lowest total WPA, -.279, more than 10 percent worse than Cano’s -.137.

Don’t judge him by one appearance

Photo credit: Charles Krupa/AP

Chan Ho Park faced his share of criticism after serving up a home run to Dustin Pedroia on Sunday night. He got the night off on Tuesday while Al Aceves worked his multi-inning magic. Park found himself in that same role last night. He took over in the seventh after Andy Pettitte battled through six innings, but this time he didn’t disappoint.

He didn’t exactly pitch his three innings gracefully. He did face only 10 batters, with Marco Scutaro batting twice. Of the nine outs he recorded seven were in the air, and a few of them came a little close to the wall for my liking. But he did get the job done. J.D. Drew collected the only hit of the outing, and while Mike Cameron and Adrian Beltre gave us a bit of a scare, well, no harm no foul. Also, no one would have even left their seat at Yankee Stadium on Cameron’s fly.

It helped, too, that as soon as Park finished his job Granderson gave the Yankees the lead, thus giving Mo the ball. I hope to see more instances of Park and Aceves pitching multiple innings. Why take the ball away if they’re pitching well?

Things that made me smile

Photo credit: Charles Krupa/AP

Victor Martinez. After hitting Burnett hard last night, he was the last guy I wanted to see up with runners on first and second with none out in the fist. Pettitte got him to ground to third, though, and A-Rod tossed it around the horn for two outs. I wondered if he would take it to third, killing Ellsbury, before throwing across the diamond. With Martinez running he had a chance. Best, though, to take the surest path to multiple outs.

Pettitte’s final inning start off annoyingly, with Adrian Beltre singling, but it ended wonderfully. J.D. Drew grounded an 0-1 curveball to Cano, which started a double play. After he struck out Mike Cameron I did a little fist pump. So did Pettitte.

I never want to see someone get hit in the head, but if it’s going to happen at least let it be like Pettitte’s fastball off Youkilis’s head. The 90 mph fastball seemed to get away from Pettitte. Youkilis was in the process of ducking, so he was moving away from the impact. Otherwise, it wouldn’t have been a laughing matter. All I could think at the time was, “schtoink!”

Then I smiled some more when Pettitte struck out Ortiz to end the inning.

Mo for the second night in a row.

Photo credit: Charles Krupa/AP

Things that annoyed me

A-Rod. His fly outs in the first and fourth didn’t look to bad, but from the double play on he took some weak hacks. None, of course, was as costly as the DP.

Dustin Pedroia and his tiny strike zone. It would annoy me a lot less if he wasn’t a damn good hitter.

Adrian Beltre hitting the ball hard almost every time up.

Next up

Friday night at 7 the Yanks head into Tampa. Javy Vazquez goes for the Yanks against David Price for the Rays.

WPA Chart

Check out the full WPA breakdown at the FanGraphs box score.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Dela G says:

great win

i got to turn on the tv, and the first pitch i see is granderson hitting a HR off of papelsuck

2. Salty Buggah says:

Game-winning RBI Game 2: Nick Johnson
    Game-winning RBI tonight: Curtis Granderson

Damon and Matsui who? Clutch what?

(Though to be fair, Matsui has killed it so far in LA. SSS but he’s on fiya)

• VLM says:

Wow. Classless and homophobic captioning from NoMaas. I would expect nothing less. Why do people waste their time reading that tripe these days?

• ShuutoHeat says:

EPIC

This image deserves a RAB caption contest.

• Marcos says:

Simply AWESOME!

• This is really stretching the bounds of on-topic…

• Salty Buggah says:

Oh my bad. I should have added a comment to it or something. Won’t happen again. Sorry about that.

:hangs head in shame:
        :asks TSJC for some PinstripeDFAIPA:

• Andy_C_23 says:

Anyone who doesn’t find that humorous is a communist. There, I said it.

• I find it humorous that Papsmear is grabbing his junk.

Calling the image “papgay.jpg”, though, that’s uncalled for. Papelbon is not gay, nor is gay a slur or something bad/pejorative.

• Marcos says:

However associating someone/a group of people with Papelblown IS something to be offended about.

• Andy_C_23 says:

I agree, gay should not be used as a slur under any circumstance. But did you expect anything less from NoMaas?

• bexarama says:

this, very much.

• Salty Buggah says:

This.

I see how grabbing Manny’s junk can be called gay, even if it shouldn’t. But I don’t see grabbing how one’s own junk is gay.

(Don’t take this the wrong way)

• damn yanks says:

dude… relax

• pete says:

everyone’s relaxed but i think if i were gay it would suck to be compared to papelbon

• Rose says:

haha now that’s funny…

The thing with words like “gay” and “fag” being thrown around derogatively isn’t anything new though. Words have all sorts of different meanings now. “Fuck” for example is a derogatory word that started out meaning one thing and turned into a bunch of other things. “Gay” and “Fag” followed suit (along with many others).

Is it right? Nope. But I’ve caught myself saying it a few times as I was growing up…and it wasn’t really because I didn’t like actual gay people…but because the word just represents something you shouldn’t say…so when you don’t like something or something bad just happened…certain people say derogatory words for whatever reason. Kind of like screaming out “shit!” when something doesn’t go your way or “you motherfucker!” to somebody you’re not quite fond of (irony is actual mother fucking is actually applauded these days in most states). It’s just the way it is. The terms “gay” and “fag” have unfortunately evolved into the same swear-like curse words regardless of anybody’s approval. I don’t remember there ever being a town meeting where everybody approved and voted on the defition and strictly enforce it. It just happens. People use the Lord’s name in vein for the same reason. People shout “Jesus Christ!” or something of that nature…not because they hate him or even because of anything that has to do with the man himself…but they say it because it’s bad.

Again, is it right? No. But are any curse words when you think about them?

• Rose says:

Papelbon is not gay,

In all fairness, you don’t know that for sure. He could very well pull a George Michael or Ricky Martin and come out in 10+ years after he’s old and washed up so nobody cares.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

• Phishin' says:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

3. This new recap format is just great. Huge improvement over last year (which was still good).

Nice write-up, Joe.

4. mustang says:

Big balls:
    Joe Girardi sending Park out for that 3rd inning and what Park did in that inning.

• ….what Park did in that inning.

I hope by that you mean give us all heart attacks by surrendering two fly balls that used up every available inch of outfield space.

• mustang says:

At the end of the game they looked just like all the other outs on the scorecard.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yes, they worked on this particular night but it’s doesn’t bode well for future extended appearances. If he continues giving up warning-track bombs but doesn’t allow runs, it doesn’t mean he should stay out there because one day it will bite the Yankees in the ass.

• mustang says:

Did it work?
        Did they win?

And Girardi took a pitcher whose confidence might have been a little down and let him prove himself under pressure.

You don’t give up on someone in the 3rd game of the season.

Right move !!!!

• Salty Buggah says:

Taking him out after 2 innings of work in a close game isn’t giving up on him and those 2 inning are enough to boost his confidence.

Tell me this, if AJ walks the bases loaded but gets out of the jam without any damag and he does this in 5 straight starts, which the Yankees win. Does it make it acceptable?

(I know this is somewhat of an extreme example but it’s similar)

• andrew says:

Just because the wrong decision gave the right decision doesn’t mean it was a good decision.

For the record, I was happy with Park going all 3, I just am taking issue with the line of reasoning that because things worked out, we shouldn’t analyze the decision.

• mustang says:

You can analyze it all you want, but this is the time when they find out what they have in the pen. This is the time when they should push things a bit because they have the season in front of them.
          If you’re going to be playing the 3rd game of the season like it’s the 140th its going to be a long ass season.

• I said nothing about giving up on him. Not in the least. You’re building a strawman there. On the contrary, I have a reasonable amount of faith in Park. I haven’t clamored for him to be DFA’d (he can definitely be valuable for us this year) and I didn’t have a problem with him for the first inning and a bit of the second.

Still, he’s not going to replicate the HR rate he had last year on the Phillies — you need to worry about his overall FB/HR ratio. http://www.fangraphs.com/stats.....battedball

He pitched fairly well in the two previous innings but there were some deep, deep fly balls. When that happens I say, “OK, that was fun. Let’s not risk another pitch like that climbing over the wall, particularly in a novelty park like Fenway.”

Not throwing him out there for a third wouldn’t say to him, “No, I have no faith in you.” It says you took a look at how things went and decided the odds weren’t in your favor for inning number three. Good job, CHOP, get to the showers.

To jump off Salty and Andrew’s points, simply because the outcome is favorable doesn’t mean the tactic was the best course of action.

We need to have some way of judging moves that aren’t totally hinged on the end result.

Though his line looks good he elicited hard contact deep to the ballpark. How often is that sustainable? The longer he’s out there with similar types of contact, the greater the chance he’s going to get lit up. We got lucky in a close game.

I still think tactically it would have been better to go with a K-Rob/Marte pairing in the 8th.

• JGS says:

The point has been made above, but it bears repeating. Process and outcome are not the same thing

• Andy_C_23 says:

I agree, it was foolish.

• pete says:

ballsy? yes. smart? I don’t know. I’ve been trying to figure out what exactly he was thinking since he made that call. I’m happy it worked out, but that was one of the few times where i couldn’t come up with a reasonable explanation for a Girardi bullpen move.

5. mustang says:

The starting pitching was shaky all series and they still manage to take 2 out 3.

How good is this team?

• ShuutoHeat says:

Lets also not forget the fact that the 2-3-4 hitters are nearly non-productive.

• Carlo Rodrigo says:

Sorry but OBP Jesus was very productive getting on base a lot, even if he did not hit a single….A Rod and Tex will do well

• ShuutoHeat says:

I totally forgot OBP Jesus got the game winning walk for the 2nd game. But yeah, 3-4 batters have been nearly non-productive. Imagine the Big Tex and Arod hitting, its going to be OVER.

• Carlo Rodrigo says:

The best team in all of baseball….good starting pitching, above average defense, maybe the best bullpen in baseball and surely the BEST LINEUP in all of BASEBALL……yankees rule!!! here comes # 28!!!! the universe is back to normal AGAIN….thank God!!!!

• YankeesJunkie says:

Yankees arguable have the best starting pitching in all of baseball based on projected WAR, top 5 at minimum if all five them combine for 140+ starts.

6. YankeesJunkie says:

Pettitte got out of a lot jams toda and pitched a great game. Park redeemed himself today with three solid innings, however I’d rather see a guy like Robertson get the bulk of important innings. Park as a backup to Aceves is not a bad idea though.

• Carlo Rodrigo says:

Yeah, mitre (long relief), ace (2-3 innings), park (ace’s backup), KRob and Joba (let them compete for the setup role) and marte (loogy)

7. bexarama says:

This game ruled.

• YankeesJunkie says:

It was nice to see all the starters go at least 5 innings this series unlike last year where the first two did not get out of the fourth.

• bexarama says:

early on I really thought Pettitte was going to be gone after like… four. At best. But he proved to me why I should never ever bet against my boy.

• bexarama says:

…looking back on it. I mean, during the game, I was not following the Zen Baseball thing very well. I’m pretty sure you can see various stages of me having a hysterical breakdown in the comment sections of the game threads.

8. W.W.J.M.D. says:

Did anybody else enjoy Nomar in the booth? And is anybody else dreading the day when they have to listen to Curt Schilling for about 3 hours?

• YankeesJunkie says:

No, I would mute him or watch the game on another channel.

• W.W.J.M.D. says:

I live in Florida, so no YES for me unless I give up my social life. Thankfully i get to watch the Rays game this weekend and for some weird reason in my city we have the chicago sports channel so I get to see White Sox games. Other than the Rays and White Sox, I’ve gotta hope for some games on ESPN and MLBTV.

• Brandon M says:

I feel your pain. I live in New York now but two years ago I lived in Altamonte Springs, Florida (Hometown of Varitek, bleh!) and I would hope and pray for a FOX or ESPN game or for the Yanks to play the White Sox because for some reason I had WGN. I really missed New York and watching the games meant so much to me because for nine innings, I was home.

Thankfully, I am a New Yorker again. Best of luck getting to watch the games!

• Salty Buggah says:

Actually, Nomar wasn’t that bad. Besides a couple incidents of homerism, he was actually pretty good. It helped that I didn’t know it was him until like in the 5th innings and was writing a paper at the time, meaning I didn’t really listen to everything, but he was solid.

• rbizzler says:

Really? I thought Nomar was awful. Constantly talking over the play-by-play guy so he could drone on with mundane stories from his playing days. Not to mention the ego stroking that was his recitation of his stats against Mo.

When Sutcliffe has to be the voice of reason and direct attention back to the action on the field, I take that as a bad sign.

9. YankeesJunkie says:

LOL… that is usually me too especially during the playoffs last year, but I have been pretty calm this year.

10. Carlo Rodrigo says:

The DEAD SOX will have a lot of trouble this season….their 1-2-3 starters are good but wakefield and buckolz not so good….their line up depends too much on youkilis….no power hitter…..their bullpen sucks….I hope the WS or Rays win the WC

• YankeesJunkie says:

I would not put down the Sox rotation too much. They are extremely good with Lester, Beckett, and Lackey on top and Buchholz is no slouch and can breakout even though his FIP the last two years has been abouve 4.5. However, I don’t see too much from Matsuzaka and or Wakefield this year.

• Tank Foster says:

The Rays will not in the division or the WC. The Red Sox are good, they will not have alot of trouble.

I am starting to think Papelbon’s star may be fading, but they have alot of good arms.

It’s going to be a long, close season.

11. W.W.J.M.D. says:

I’d really like to know why Girardi isn’t using Robertson as the setup man. I think he proved last year that he can get the job done and I would rather he put someone in the game that has proven they can be effective(Ace, KRob) than just throw the new guy to the wolves in important situations in the first series of the season, against non other than the Red Sox.

• mbonzo says:

If you’re referring to tn, its impossible to tell who the setup man is gonna be in an extra inning game since you don’t know when the closer will be on the mound. He’s keeping it a competition, but its pretty clear Park is gonna be a multi inning guy along with Aceves. Joba and Robertson will play out April to see who fills in the role better. So far, in a short 2 showings Joba looks more dominant, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Robertson show off his stuff pretty soon. Either way I am happy the team has two guys who have heavy guns, that way one can be the setup man and the other can come in when the game is on the line.

• pete says:

I definitely don’t think you want to get into a scenario where you’ve got a prescribed setup format. That’s how you overuse and underuse your pitchers. If Joba were to beat out Robertson, and JoeG followed the Torre format, Joba would pitch the 8th every time the yanks had the lead. That’s not how JoeG does it, thank god.

• Nigel Bangs says:

I don’t know if setup man is the best role for Robertson. With his ability to get a K, I like him as the default “get me out of this potentially game-changing jam” man. That more often than not will not be the 8th inning.

12. YankeesJunkie says:

I don’t know either. The easiest explanation would be his high BB/9 rate and that Boston is a patient team.

13. dkidd says:

i practiced zen baseball tonight. it was sweet

also sweet: imagining this line-up against mediocre pitching

april ’10 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> april ’09

14. Salty Buggah says:

Wow, was tonight the first time this season Robbie Cano swung at a pitch outside of the strikezone? Only 3 games in but that’s amazing he went 2 games without doing that.

15. DaveinMD says:

You claim Pedroia is such a good hitter. He isn’t. His home/road splits are massive. He’s a Fenway hitter. Nothing more.

16. larryf says:

Chop’s changeup is excellent. We now have 2 relievers with excellent changeups (Aceves). Love that pitch…..makes grown men cry

17. Tank Foster says:

ChoP is a very good pitcher. Three pitches. He will do very well this year. He will give up homers, but he’s very good as a reliever.

18. China Joe says:

Yes it looks like Granderson has locked up the “best Yankee debut” award…at least until September, when Jesus Montero is called up and hits the first pitch he sees OUT of Yankee Stadium for a 6-run homer, then circles the bases riding a fire-breathing platinum unicorn, thereby solving America’s financial crisis.

19. Rose says:

I, of course, had to watch via the NESN feed yet again…and the announcers were talking about Mariano Rivera saying that since the start of the 2007 season, he’s only blown 5 saves. Pretty ridiculous.

• Rick in Boston says:

I watched the NESN feed and I have to say that I much prefer the Orsilo/Remy pairing to anyone on YES except for the Singleton/Cone team. Remy is among the least biased former players covering his own team. They made it overly clear to everyone watching that neither believed that the Youk/Jeter HBP’s were intentional on either side and the ump should have kept the warning in his pocket.

• Rose says:

I like Remy. I was genuinely upset when they announced he was ill and had to take a leave of absense. I could do without Don Orsillo. He used to be the announcer for the AHL Springfield Falcons team in Massachusetts and live above this bar in downtown Springfield so we’d see him quite a lot and he was extra annoying. He’s gotten better…but it still comes out every now and again with a routine pop up that’s caught where he screams and yells as though it were the Gary Mathews Jr. catch every time. When he does that it just sets off a trigger of his old days…

But yeah, Michael Kay is pretty brutal. I love Singleton though. I wish all these networks were filled with just color commentators haha. The world would be a better place…

• pete says:

Orsillo overreacts a tad for sure, but neither of those guys ever seems to say anything retarded or pompous the way Kay does. I generally don’t mind the rest of the guys in the YES booth other than Tino, but Kay dominates them. Remy and Orsillo are pretty unbiased and they’re very funny. I think they’re probably the only thing i actually like about the Red Sox

• pete says:

i wonder if we’re ever going to be treated to Granderson in the booth. I think he’d be excellent

• Rick in Boston says:

I’d love to hear Doug Glanville. He’s smart (Penn), well articulated in his interviews, and his column in the NY Times is insightful.

20. Rose says:

In all honesty, “Jackie” Chan-Ho-Park (refuse to call him CHOP because that was Matsui’s nickname) didn’t pitch THAT great…the results overshadow the performance. While he only gave up 1 hit in 3 innings…SEVERAL balls off of the bat went to the warning track or were hit quite well. Both Youkilis’s and Beltre’s fly outs would have probably been home runs at Yankee Stadium.

I’m glad he succeeded…but he wasn’t that good…

21. MattG says:

“There were a few moments in the ninth when it didn’t seem like the Yankees would see extra innings. The Sox nearly ended it a couple of times, but the Yanks hung in there…”

Nah, only Beltre’s ball was hit well. Good thing its a big right field in Fenway. That ball might’ve reached the bleachers in Yankee Stadium.

Odd to see Park, a 1.88 gb/fb ratio pitcher for his career, give up one warning track fly after another. Thankfully, the Sox kept getting under them. Give them another week of reps, and all those balls might be going over the fence.

Then again, give Park another week of reps, and all those balls might get pounded into the ground. It works both ways, I guess.

22. Nady Nation says:

On the FAN this morning, I heard a clip of CHP talking after the game. He sounded upset that Girardi sent him out for a third inning of work. I thought this was strange, since Eiland blatantly asked Park how he was feeling, and whether he was good for another inning after the 9th. I can’t find anything on the internets from any of the beat guys. Anyone else hear/read anything about this?

• Mike HC says:

Nah, but I also thought it was odd to use him for three innings, especially this early in the season. But all is well that ends well, and we did win the game, so tough to second guess there. I can see how CHP might have questioned the move there.