Apr

Yankees claim Chad Huffman from San Diego

Via Buster Olney, the Yankees have claimed outfielder/first baseman Chad Huffman from the Padres. He was designated for assignment earlier this week to make room on their roster for Matt Stairs. The 24-year-old righty hitter was ranked as San Diego’s 21st best prospect coming into the season by Baseball America, who noted his ability to murder fastballs and his susceptibility to offspeed stuff. Limited to first base or left field, Huffman’s just an okay defensive player who won’t steal any bases. In other words, this is purely a Triple-A depth move.

The Yankees had an open spot on their 40-man roster following the release of Chad Gaudin, so there’s no other move coming. Remember, former Padres’ GM Kevin Towers is now a special adviser for the Yanks, so I’m certain he had some input on this move.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. vin says:

Am I mistaken, or isn’t SWB pretty crowded at 1st and corner OF?

Miranda, Vazquez, Weber, Curtis, Winfree, and Gorecki.

Wonder if there will be a corresponding move/demotion.

2. Charlie says:

cool. i saw this on mlbtr a few days ago and thought we might/should pick him up

3. Perhaps this is an insurance move in case Marcus Thames can’t hack it.

• Thomas says:

The blog Chicken Friars (awesome name), said this about him,

A stocky, powerful hitter with a decent batting eye, Huffman isn’t likely to be an impact player at the major league level. In some ways, he’s a right-handed poor man’s version of Stairs, actually–he’s got 15-25 homer power, walks quite a bit, and has enough contact skills to hit .250, but is short of an offensive star and helps little on defense.

Emphasis mine. Source: My computer screen

However, I still doubt the Yankees demote Thames for Huffman, unless Huffman really tears it up in AAA and Thames sucks big. A past his prime Thames is probably better than an entering prime Huffman.

• Yankee Dynasty 11 says:

Huffman hit .269 with 20 HR’s at age 24 in his first season of Triple-A. He seemed to take his game to another level during the last two months of the season as he made the adjustment to the newest level. It looks like he has bene an All-Star at every level in every season of his professional career. I’ve heard he is a great clubhouse guy with a personality that will play in New York. I think his bat will play in the big leagues and the DH gives him another avenue to make things happen. I don’t think it is out of the question that Huffman could be a .275, 20 doubles, 25 home run hitter in the big leagues. I am betting Jed Hoyer kicks himself for putting Huffman on the waiver wire.

• Mister Delaware says:

Bonus points for the baseball pun.

• Perhaps this is an insurance move in case Marcus Thames can’t hack it.

This occurred to me the moment I saw he was right-handed.

4. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

The title is in the bag…..for all 8 levels.

5. Ghost of Scott Brosius says:

Is this a ploy to make us forget Hoffman with Huffman?

6. Rick in Boston says:

Chad played football at TCU, as did his older brother Royce, who is a AAA lifer (Houston/Chicago/Texas last year). Good athletic family: Royce is one of the best punters in TCU history and according to TCU’s website Chad was a backup/practice squad QB.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

A punter? You mean the Yankees have the next Darren Erstad? For nothing?

• Rick in Boston says:

No, we got the punters fifth-string QB brother.

We need to get the punter. I’m just too lazy to find out where he is this year. Axisa?

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

No, we got the punters fifth-string QB brother.

That reminds me of when I was in junior high, I was the schools third string goalie even though I had never played soocer in my life. I had a bunch of buddies on the team, and I made them laugh, so the coach had me hang around. I logged zero minutes of playing time.

• Jim in Dallas says:

Chad Huffman was the back-up quarterback for TCU in 2005 and would have been the starting quarterback in 2006 as a senior had he not quit football to focus on baseball. He hit .350 something with 5 HR’s in the month of August last year and something like .460 in a few games in September. The kid has mad pop.

7. Jeremy says:

I thought Moeller already satisfied our Chad quota.

8. dutchsailor says:

I agree with Vin. The outfield for SWB already has Winfree, Curtis, Gorecki, Weber and Golson, and 1B has Miranda and Vasquez. Who is going to get kicked off the island?

9. The child of Filliam H. Muffman? Very happy about this move.

10. Accent Shallow says:

Tough to get excited about this move, but you never know.

11. The 24-year-old righty hitter was ranked as San Diego’s 21st best prospect coming into the season by Baseball America, who noted his ability to murder fastballs and his susceptibility to offspeed stuff. Limited to first base or left field, Huffman’s just an okay defensive player who won’t steal any bases.

Kinda sounds like Shelley Duncan.

12. Despite that apparent susceptibility to the breaking stuff, he’s got a good MiL OBP (.385, .094 IsoD) and hasn’t struck out at an alarming rate (about 17%, which is fine considering his 11% walk rate. His splits (per MiL splits) didn’t show anything pronounced in terms of L/R. Seems like a good gamble to me.

13. Tucker says:

huffman also beat out shelley duncan in the 2009 triple-a HR derby

14. Ghost of Scott Brosius says:

Semi-related to Huffman, considering he seems like a career minor-leaguer: who is the all time minor league home run leader? And the active leader? I know it’s not really Durham’s legendary Crash Davis.

• Rick in Boston says:

I believe the “official” holder is Mike Hessman.

• Some true legends up there: Joe Bauman (72 in 1954) with 337, the immortal Smead Jolley (Damon’s arm, Dick Stuart’s glove and Choo Choo Coleman’s spead) with 336 and the great Steve Bilko (’58 Topps) with 313.

15. JT from Houston says:

I know Chad personaly. I went to Elkins High School with his older brother Scott. Elkins has a deep tradition in producing great baseball talent. His teammate in high school was James Loney of the Dodgers. Royce graduated the year before I got there. Chad was always the better athlete out of the three. I coached him in pee-wee football and it was evident then this kid was a ball player. No matter what sport. It’s cool and kinda weird to see the kid you use to body slam and show how to use a stiff arm, be playing for the Yankees. Go get’em Chad!!