Record Last Week: 5-1 (42 RS, 22 RA)
Season Record: 21-9 (178 RS, 111 RA, 22-8 Pythag. record), 0.5 games back
Schedule This Week: @ Tigers (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), vs. Twins (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started off with an easy enough assignment: a three game series against the Orioles at home. Randy Winn powered the Yanks to a win in the first game, and A.J. Burnett dominated the next day for another dubya. Nick Swisher took care of business and helped complete the sweep on Wednesday, however Monday’s game sat a new record low for attendance at the New Stadium.
- For the second time this season, the Yankees marched up to Boston for a three game set. A Josh Beckett meltdown led to win on Friday, then Frankie Cervelli and Mark Teixeira helped pound the Red Sox again on Saturday. Burnett got smacked around a bit yesterday, and the Yanks were unable to complete the sweep.
- Last week was also injury week in the Bronx. Jorge Posada missed a few games with a calf strain, ditto Mariano Rivera with a stiff side. Andy Pettitte is going to miss a start with an elbow issue, but that’s better than a DL trip. Nick Johnson and Robbie Cano left Saturday’s game hurt, and although Cano was able to return to the lineup the next day, Johnson will miss several weeks with tendon inflammation. Al Aceves exited Saturday’s game with a stiff lower back, and will be out just a few days. The good news is that Chan Ho Park was able to throw from a mound, bringing him closer to a return.
- Because of all the injuries, the Yankees had to call up Greg Golson, Kevin Russo and Romulo Sanchez, though Golson has already been sent back down.
- Javy Vazquez’s start was pushed back in an effort to get him on the right track.
- Cano was named the AL Player of the Month for April.
- Gene Monahan is targeting a June 1st return.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.