May

Open Thread: A much needed day off

"Can we just go home now?" Photo Credit: Kathy Willens, AP

I think us fans needed the day off as much as the players. Just gotta regroup, refocus, get our heads back in the game, and simplify things. Take it one at-bat a time, one pitch at a time, and get back to the basics. Hopefully the team follows suit and turns this little skid around. There’s still 118 games left to go.

Here’s your open thread for the night. There’s only four baseball games on the schedule, and one’s on ESPN: the Red Sox at the Rays (Clay Buchholz vs. Matt Garza Wade Davis) at 7:10pm ET. You’ve also got NHL and NBA playoff action (Flyers and Celtics each have a chance to advance to the finals with a win), but more importantly, the two hour series finale of 24 starts at 8pm ET. Jack has to die at the end, right?

Anyway, dhatever you choose, feel free to chat about it here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. If you’re bored while waiting for the 24 finale, hit up the live chat

/shameless self promo’d

2. Evilest Empire says:

I don’t even watch the TV show, but I happen to know they’re making at least one movie based on 24 ala Sex and The City … so I wouldn’t count on Jack dying quite yet.

3. long time listener says:

“24″ spoiler alert: Jack gets marooned on a desert island with a dozen other people.

4. rek4gehrig says:

I’m catching up on Tivoed shows including 24 so please dont be spoilers (I’m 2 weeks behind) :-)))

5. JM says:

I know this is kinda lame, but today, everyone that said how the Yankees are bad and whatever, I was like “I know! It’s really embarrassing to lose to a last place team!”. It kinda shut up those Mets fans. In other, kinda related news, I know that in a month from now, the Yankees will be right there in the division race (roughly 2-4 games out, Tex will be hitting, Granderson will be back and Posada will be a week away, the Yankees will be playing good baseball, and everyone will forget about this.
    Side Note: The Rays schedule has been so easy this year that there is no way they can keep up their play. They’re gonna skid out and all of that “Oh, they’re the ’98 Yankees” stuff will be gone

• JobaWockeeZ says:

“Oh, they’re the ‘98 Yankees” stuff will be gone
      Tell that to Buster Olney.

• Tom Zig says:

Nitpick:

In a month (4 weeks) from now, Posada should be back too. NJ should be like 2 weeks away.

• mike c says:

we’d be lucky if he starts rehab in 6 weeks. with his prior wrist problems he’s going to take it slow. and he should if we want the best chance of having him in good shape in october

• bexarama says:

The Rays are REALLY good. Do not write them off.

That said, calling them the ’98 Yankees is way premature.

• Tom Zig says:

I hope they run all over the Red Sox and sweep them though.

• forensicnucchem says:

I’m sure it’s just me, but I never really understood rooting for a team that’s already 6 games ahead of you to sweep a team behind you.

I understand the hatred of the Red Sox, but the Rays are so far ahead already, easy schedule or not, and rooting for them to get farther ahead doesn’t make much sense to me, especially with how the Yanks are struggling.

• poster says:

Agreed.

• Riddering says:

I’m with you on this one. Boston winning this series definitely brings them back into the mix but I am not down with the Rays jumping even higher in the standings. Much better to bring the Rays down and make the division a three-team fight again.

• JGS says:

Fun fact. The 06 Tigers were 35-14, and wound up losing their division on the last day of the season

6. Tom Zig says:

The low point of last year came during interleague. I’m cool with the low point coming now and us hitting our stride in the summer. Allows for me to go to more interesting games.

7. bexarama says:

Holy crap David Ortiz, could you move any fucking slower around the bases when you hit a home run? I used to really actually like you when you killed the Yankees but it’s become more and more obvious that you’re just an asswipe.

8. bonestock94 says:

Does everyone remember how the low point came to a sudden end last season during interleague play? The visit from a pissed off looking Brian Cashman in Atlanta. That’s what I’m waiting for.

9. Hey Mike – Wade Davis is starting for the Rays, not Matt Garza. You nearly gave me a heart attack as I rushed to Yahoo! to check if I still had Garza on the bench.

/Fantasy baseball addict’d

10. Captain Jack says:

Wait…what 24′s ending? I loved the first four seasons…fifth kind dragged, the sixth season took a nose dive towards the end with the VP.

11. If there was ever a story that was useless without pictures…

…then this must be it.

12. Captain Jack says:

As far as the day off goes…I don’t mind losing, but CC losing to Johan REAAAAAAAAAAAALLLY sucked. One of my friends is a huge Johan fanboy (also a Yankee fan) and pissed and moaned nonstop during the 2008 season, and most of 2009 up until Johan started sucking (oh yeah, he also hates CC for whatever reason…I think he just hates fat people) and once they won the Series. Last night I had five missed calls from him.

Lame.

13. bexarama says:

Who’s doing the commentary on ESPN right now? Other than Aaron Boone.

• forensicnucchem says:

I’m sure you got it by now, but it’s Dan Shulman and Chris Singleton.

And I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t seem to care about 24.

14. Uh oh. The ex-President’s boy just died, he just doesn’t know it yet.

There’s not way Bauer tells him of his plans, unless he has no intention of letting him live long enough to use that info.

15. Wow. President Taylor takes the ‘Nuclear Option’ term pretty literally, huh?

16. Carlosologist says:

So I woke up from a pretty long nap today, and the first thing I hear is Peter Gammons saying that for the All-Star Game, you should only vote for the players who are on hot streaks. And he said don’t vote for Teixeira. I understand the Sox bias, but jeez can you be discreet about it?

• Steve H says:

He gave up discreet a looooong time ago.

• radnom says:

He is right though. Doesn’t everyone always complain that it is just a popularity contest? How can you possibly think Teixeira is worthy of an all start nomination right now? I’m sure he is getting plenty of votes from name recognition alone.

• forensicnucchem says:

At this point, neither Teixeira or Jeter have any business leading in votes.

Though really, the whole thing is a farce anyway so it’s not surprising.

17. Carlosologist says:

Wow that was a monster shot for Pena.

18. Wow. So much for the movie rights, huh?

19. dygg says:

Is there anyway for the BOTH the Sawx and Rays to lose?

20. ok we are one back ahead of last years pace at this time.

oh yeah.

we aight.

21. forensicnucchem says:

Injuries?

22. one back ahead?
    ok tommy
    I meant ONE GAME AHEAD.

23. THE MIKE TYSON!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

24. poster says:

I’ll be honest, this whole thing absolutely terrifies me. Normally I’d have faith that cooler heads would prevail, but Kim Jong Ill is a madman. This whole situation REALLY worries me.

• DreDog says:

Typically, when KJI wants something from the West, he acts out. That said, I don’t know what he wants.

• poster says:

That’s what makes this situation so frightening. He’s a nut, a loose cannon. The man’s a nuke waiting to be fired.

• DreDog says:

I think he realizes that if he fires a nuke, his fancy cars and fancy lifestyle are toast. He’s not willing to give that up.

• poster says:

For a rational person, no. But Il is not rational. Who knows what’s going on in his twisted head?

Here’s where it gets REALLY scary. There are rumors Il is sick. If he is…well, who knows what he’ll do?

• DreDog says:

He is a vain guy and he has chosen his successor. He wouldn’t have gone to the trouble if he didn’t want a legacy. Shooting nukes means there is no legacy. He’ll do the right thing by him and do everything to keep his family in power. Heck, this is probably all just a ruse for the West to legitimize his son.

• poster says:

I hope so. But at the same time, he’s a madman. If the West pisses him off enough, and he’s going to die anyway, I can see him setting off nukes or at least going to war.

I hope you’re right. Il is a very unstable variable.

• DreDog says:

Even if he does get buck wild (which I think he won’t), be happy you live on the East Coast!

• poster says:

There’s that, I guess!

The worry too is that China will back N. Korea.

That would be a damn tough war.

• DreDog says:

China has over $2 trillion in US Treasuries. I am sure that China would want to protect that investment more than some psycho dictator.

• poster says:

I believe China has come out and said it will ally itself with N. Korea.

• DreDog says:

Ally in a war against other countries. However, in a global war, China would tell N. Korea to shut the heck up.

• poster says:

From the article:

China has so far maintained its support of the North and said it would make its own assessment of the investigation into the sinking of the Cheonan.

Right now China is still with the North. Fortunately this doesn’t sound too binding, so maybe you’re right.

• DreDog says:

Yeah, always follow the money. China is making money hand over fist from the West. They don’t want the apple cart upset for some psycho.

• poster says:

Just goes to show, the foundation of the free world is not at its most solid right now. We got some cracks to fix.

• Pasqua says:

For the record: Most intellectual thread EVER on RAB. Kudos to you.

25. i have no problem hoping for a red sox sweep
    yanks are 6 back
    i want a sox sweep.

ok wait
    2 out of 3 actually

26. Dalia hassan will take that pen and shove it inthe Russians eye

27. 24 was one of the rare series that actually had a good wrap up. Way better than MASH, Seinfeld or The Sopranos.

28. PR says:

Word to that. Can’t remember when I was this happy the Yanks had a day off in a long time, for my sake and theirs.

29. Carlosologist says:

I honestly hope the Rays are swept and the Yanks sweep in Minny. That would put within three games of the division lead.

30. Dan says:

Darnell McDonald just designated by the sox…Any chance we pick him up and DFA Winn???

31. Brian Cashman is Watching says:

Hey, just bought MLB.tv and want to make sure I can watch the draft. Anyone know how the draft will be handled by television?