May

Yankees sign Rainiero Coa

Via MLBTR, the Yankees have signed 17-year-old Venezuelan catcher Rainiero Coa. A former shortstop/first baseman, he moved behind the plate and apparently his defense and arm are top notch, which is why the Yanks signed him. You can read more about him here. I’m assuming Coa will spend the summer in the Yanks’ Dominican complex, and if he’s actually a prospect, he’ll come to the States next season.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. A.D. says:

Yankees just trying to monopolize the young catching talent in pro baseball…if only they could get Harper.

• Thomas says:

Just hire him as assistant to the traveling secretary and then next year, demote him to low A catcher.

2. Andy in Sunny Daytona already found his facebook profile.

3. His real name is Rafael DePaula, right?

4. JT says:

Sounds like Cervelli 2.0

5. vin says:

I like his first name… reminds me of Tim Raines. I say we call him “Rock.”

• Better than what I had proposed, which is “Rainman”.

• ROBTEN says:

Better than what I had proposed, which is “Rainman”.

That’s what they call Matsui in the “clubs” (wink wink, nudge nudge).

• Hey ZZ says:

And the Rainman goes deep!

Back-Back-Back jacks! The Rainman did not hold anything back there. He just let it go and it is raining white over the fans in RF!

And oh no, oh no, that’s not good. It looks like that long drive hit a fan.

The Rainman pounded it so hard that his ball smacked a woman in the side of her face. You don’t want to see that.

• pounder says:

How about Al? Alcoa…get it?

6. Short Porch says:

Jesus has another reason to run out those ground balls now.

7. Poopy Pants says:

Sterling:

“It’s raaaaiiin-iero-ing home runs! allelujia!?!?”

“Coa goa booma!”

“I’m Cuckoo for Coa Puffs!!!”

8. JT says:

So we know how much he signed for ?