Jun

Open Thread: Happy Birthday, Phil

That first start sure seems like a long time ago, don't it? (Photo Credit: Nick Laham, POOL/AP)

Well look at that. The Yankees’ blossoming ace turns the ripe old age of 24 today. Hard to believe he’s still that young, no? Here’s a partial list of big league starters older than Mr. Hughes…

Clay Buchholz (22 months older)
Yovani Gallardo (four months)
Josh Johnson (16 months)
Ian Kennedy (14 months)
Tim Lincecum (24 months)
Mike Pelfrey (30 months)
David Price (11 months)

Anyway, here is your off day open thread. The Mets and Tigers are playing on both SNY and MLB Network, and you’ve also got Oklahoma and South Carolina in College World Series action (loser is eliminated) on ESPN2. Apparently the NBA draft is on somewhere as well, if that’s your thing. Talk about whatever you want, just don’t be a jerk.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Brad Toughy says:

Pulling for OU tonight. My Big XII is losing teams left and right.

2. bexarama says:

Happy birthday Phil! Here is a pretty awesome article about Mr. Hughes (& Mr. Pettitte):

3. Ivan says:

It’s kinda cool that Lincecum and Hughes share the same birthday. Oh by the way, another pitcher older than Hughes: Matt Cain.

4. UWS says:

Happy birthday, St Phil!

God I feel so old.

5. JobaWockeeZ says:

How much older is Joba than Hughes?

6. Ivan says:

Just 21 minutes til the NBA Draft…YAY!!!!

7. JobaWockeeZ says:

But the mind boggling thing is that King Felix is younger than Hughes. Damn.

8. pat says:

ALSO: Felix Hernandez: (two months) 0_0

9. Salty Buggah says:

Another big league starter older than Hughes:

Joba Chamberlain

/notlettingthedreamdie’d

10. Mike Axisa says:

South Carolina’s catcher just took a foul tip right to the junk. Ugh.

11. vin says:

“Also older than Phil Hughes? Andrew Brackman, who is six months his elder. Pretty crazy, huh?”

I noticed that a couple of weeks ago… blew my mind.

12. JGS says:

Some more

Felix Hernandez (2 months)
    Wade Davis (9 months)
    Joba Chamberlain (9 months)
    Jake Arrieta (3 months)
    Matt Harrison (10 months)
    Max Scherzer (23 months)
    Jair Jurrjens (5 months)
    Johnny Cueto (4 months)
    Homer Bailey (1 month)
    John Ely (1 month)

13. Tom Zig says:

is Daniel Nava the 2010 version of Nick Green or is he a legit player?

14. ZZ says:

One last thing about Torre that I think many Yankee fans can agree on.

My feelings towards him are extremely conflicted.

15. Dela G says:

hey i just read a tweet that said brackman has been promoted to trenton!

16. The Wizards home arena is located right next to Chinatown in downtown DC.

The Great Wall of Chinatown?

17. vin says:

I saw Olney link to an article about how great a job Phil Coke was doing for the Tigers. Upon checking B-R, I realized he had the exact same peripherals as he did last year, except for one category – HR/FB.

In 2010, he’s walking slightly more, striking out slightly fewer, and allowing way fewer HR’s.

h/9, hr/9, bb/9, k/9, so/bb
    2009: 6.6 1.5 3.0 7.4 2.45
    2010: 8.3 0.3 3.4 6.8 2.00

The HR’s that he’s not giving up are probably turning into the extra hits he’s yielding. He has a 3.09 ERA, no thanks partly due to playing his home games in Comerica.

He’s only given up 1 HR all year – and that was at home.I assume he’s due for a partial correction. He’ll probably get worse on the road.

Being in a weaker offensive division, with some spacious ballparks will certainly increase his effectiveness. The White Sox are the only team with a real launching pad in the division, but they’re best hitters are right handed (Rios, Quentin and Konerko). The Twins are the only difficult lineup in the division, and Target Field seems to be surpressing HR’s.

18. Phil Hughes is younger than me and a millionaire.

I am a complete and utter failure.

19. Ivan says:

I will say this, Kwame Brown might of been a bum or at least not that good of a player, however, Collins (and Jordan) really screwed his development while he was with the Wizards.

20. Dela G says:

the best thing about jay bilas is his propensity to talk about wingspans…

21. Ivan says:

Evan Turner: Can he be another Paul Pierce?

22. Dela G says:

call me skeptical, but i see him becoming a bust. maybe it’s just me

23. Dela G says:

ha turner sounds like a robot

24. Nets take Favors. Analysis? how’d we get screwed this time?

25. Ivan says:

Solid pick by minnesota.

26. Dela G says:

i hope my rockets are able to trade up and get some sort of big impact big man. Work those phones, Darryl Morey

27. Dela G says:

very good pick by the kings

28. Ivan says:

Cousins and Evans pairing up=Potential nightmare for the Western conference…

• Dela G says:

dalembert, landry, and cousins will be a nightmare for the lakers

they wont get a shot off inside the lane

• Ivan says:

I’ll give you sam and Cousins, im not giving you Landry. Personally, I think Landry kinda sucks and Gasol will eat him for breakfast, lunch, dinner and an occasional midnight snack.

Overall, that is very big and long frontline though.

• vin says:

” Gasol will eat him for breakfast, lunch, dinner and an occasional midnight snack.

The triangle has dissected many front courts in its day.

• pat says:

The Spaniards prefer tapas.

• Dela G says:

” I think Landry kinda sucks and Gasol will eat him for breakfast, lunch, dinner and an occasional midnight snack.”

have you actually watched landry?? Prior to being traded by the rockets, he was actually on his way to becoming the 6th man of the year, and is a big time force down low. he can dunk on pretty much anyone, can shoot the ball and defends pretty well. he had no problem scoring against bigs in the rocket’s division and did the same when he went over to the pacific. He averaged 16 against the lakers this season. the guy is very underrated

• Ivan says:

He’s a undersize PF who can’t defend. And personally I thought he was playing a little bit over his head. Look im not a Landry fan. Is he a solid back up sure, but Im not in love with him.

29. Andy_C_23 says:

Armando Gallaraga with the no-no into the third.

/justsaying’d

30. Dela G says:

the warriors chose the african version of anthony randolph??

idiots

31. vin says:

Is a really great party going to show LeBron that the Knicks would like his services? I can’t wait until the inevitable tampering controversy that will get leaked in a few years. There’s no way there hasn’t been any behind the scenes discussions with LeBron’s people. The same can probably be said of the other big names.

32. Chris V. says:

And happy birthday to me!

33. Ivan says:

Understand the pick by Dumars here, however, im not a huge Monroe fan.

34. In answer to the above, I actually threw it as fast as 30 MPH before blowing my arm(s) out last summer in an attempt to actually learn pitching mechanics.

No, I can’t reach the plate. I can’t even reach the fast pitch target on flat ground. (Actually, I throw the ball OVER it. Ask the dudes at the Cyclones.)

My swing’s not much better, but if I adopt a Cervelli-esque stance, I can at least semi-make contact.

35. Ivan says:

Boy after Wall, Cousins, Favors, and Turner, this draft really takes a turn for the worse.

36. Tom Zig says:

Ok what’s the deal with RA Dickey? How is he capable of pitching so successfully if he was born without a UCL?

37. Sleepykarl says:

Neal is doing pretty damn good. Nice to see a long time fellow Yankee (name of the select team of which I was a longtime teammate of his) do well.

Also, Laird for DH?
    /sarcastic

38. That picture is so cool.

39. Captain Jack says:

I was watching MLB tonight and I saw that Verducci said the Royals are looking to move Alex Gordon. I think he’s a great fit for the Yankees, he can play the outfield in a pinch and he can play third and provide better offense than Ramiro Pena when Alex needs a day off. I’d love to pull a trade for Gordon/DeJesus at the dead line, but somehow I feel that’s an unrealistic scenario.

• Pete says:

baha. you responded to that at 3AM. That’s dedication. You’re a warrior, bexy.

• bexarama says:

I could not sleep last night, could you blame me? And after the game I was reading the Game Thread in sort of abject horror (not that I wasn’t guilty of some really bad comments too).

But yes. Dedication. =P

40. Steve H says:

Hilarious. Say what you will about Artest, but the man is entertaining.

41. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/.....-deal.html

I can’t believe Bobby V is going to work for Loria. There’s some talent there, and he’ll get that team to play well for him. But Loria is just nuts, I’m surprised Bobby is that desperate to get back in the game.

42. JGS says:

and the Rockies have bases loaded no one out on a single and a pair of walks from Dice-BB. That was a great $100M investment

43. Captain Jack says:

Mentioned in another thread players you hate…I figured I’d suggest my all time “I hate these guys team”

Guys who have never played for the Yankees, non Red Sox player in parenthesis:

CA: Jason Varitek (AJ Pierzinski)
    1B: Kevin Youkilis (Justin Morneau)
    2B: Dustin Pedroia (Chase Utley, dude needs to wash his hair)
    3B: Troy Glaus
    SS: Julio Lugo (mainly for his time in Huston…but Jimmy Rollins is a close second)
    LF: Kevin Millar
    CF: Torii Hunter
    RF: Trot Nixon (Jayson Werth)
    DH: Ortiz (Carlos Pena)

next is listed in order of hatred:

SP: Curt Schilling
    SP: Josh Beckett
    SP: Daisuke Matsuzaka
    SP: Roy Halladay
    SP: Scott Kazmir

(I started rooting against Johan Santana after the non-trade)

Bullpen, also listed in order of hatred:

CL: Jonathan Papelbon
    RP: Francisco Rodriguez
    RP: Jose Valverde
    RP: Jason Grilli
    RP: Dan Bard (mainly due to the hype he got)
    RP: Scott Shields

Most hated Yankees:

CA: Ivan Rodriguez
    1B: Andy Phillips
    2B: Tony Womack
    3B: Alex Rodriguez ;) (Cody Ransom in a land slide)
    SS: Enrique Wilson

CL: Felix Heredia
    RP: Kyle Farnsworth
    RP: Chad Gaudin
    RP: Boone Logan
    RP: Jose Veras
    RP: Tanyon Sturtze

Now for the positives, favorite all non-Yankee team

CA: Mike Napoli

SP: Brad Radke
    SP: Dan Haren
    SP: Cliff Lee

CL: Carlos Marmol
    RP: Jonathan Broxton
    RP: Manny Corpas
    RP: Chad Qualls (he’ll get out of this funk)

Here’s to hoping I can take Cliff Lee off of my favorite “never played for the Yanks” list next year. Yeah, I know it’s kinda lame, but I’m bored so what the fuck.

• bexarama says:

Haha I like this. A fellow Buehrle fan, yay!!!! And I think I hate Beltre more than Glaus now. And Carlos Pena was kind of a Yankee…

I also really like Roy Halladay. When he’s not pitching against the Yankees. :X

• Tom Zig says:

Roy Halladay John Lackey

• Tom Zig says:

Andy Phillips? Why Andy Phillips ?

• JGS says:

I imagine the “most hated Yankees” list is a list of people who pissed you off while on the Yankees. Mike Lowell doesn’t really fit the bill there, he had all of 15 PAs for the Yankees. And how is LaTroy Hawkins not there?

• Captain Jack says:

Mike Lowell doesn’t really fit the bill there

I couldn’t put him on the Non Yankee list and he had to be there somewhere. One of my favorite NoMaas shops was the one he’s just wearing a plain white shirt and someone shopped “cupchicks” on it. LaTroy Hawkins, yeah he should be there…the Paul O’Niell shit made me feel sorry for him though.

• Captain, you just gave me a post for tomorrow. Thank you very much.

• Captain Jack says:

Zack Greinke should be there too…my heart goes out to people with mental disorders, I probably like him more than I liked Radke.

• Pete says:

Most Hated, non-sox division:

C: Pierzynski (or however the fuck you spell it)
      1B: Glaus (shut up troy glaus. and get a real fucking first name)
      2B: Polanco (I know he’s a 3B right now but I hate him sosososososo much)
      3B: Casey Blake (shave the beard or start fighting bears, one or the other)
      SS: Eckstein (if you can still call him a SS)
      LF: Jose Bautista (stop pretending to be good, mmk?)
      CF: Aaron Rowand (not sure if he still centerfields, but fuck aaron rowand)
      RF: Austin Kearns (just like…I dunno…so frickin average)
      DH: Jose Guillen (no idea why I hate him so much)

Favorite Non-Yankees:

C: Mauer
      1B: Pujols
      2B: Utley (I do hate the hair, but he’s just so friggin good)
      3B: Longoria (Zimmerman is juuuuust behind him)
      SS: Hanley

Felix
      Halladay
      Lincecum
      Price
      Ubaldo

• Kiersten says:

My most hated player is Carl Everett, the other positions don’t even matter.

My poor Moosey :(

44. bexarama says:

I don’t think the Mets or Rangers will ever lose a game again. Especially not Texas, their upcoming schedule is the School of the Blind.

Phil Coke against David Wright with the bases loaded, one out, and the Mets down by 1, by the way…

45. Captain Jack says:

I doubt any of you are hardcore enough to appreciate this, but for my fellow Metal heads:

Pretty awesome stuff

\m/

46. JGS says:

What the hell happened to Igarashi? I remember him having decent numbers

47. JGS says:

and the Rockies take the lead again

48. Tom Zig says:

Dice-K is up to his old tricks.

5ip, 5 hits, 4 walks, 6 ks, only 2 ER

Nice work on averaging almost 2 baserunners an inning.

49. Total Dominication says:

Sox are re-rallying.

50. Total Dominication says:

Fuck, come on Rockies!

51. bexarama says:

Oh, Manny Corpas pitching for the sixth time in eight days. That kind of explains a lot. Game’s not over, though, it’s Coors…

52. Total Dominication says:

Come on Jason!!!!

53. quantum physics says:

Who knew ? that now makes it two!!

54. bexarama says:

Like I said, game’s not over as Papelbon blows it for the second night in a row.

Thank God Mo for Mariano Rivera.

55. Captain Bawls says:

wtf, Pedroia 5-5? God damn it.