Jun

Yankees promote Andrew Brackman to Double-A

Via Josh Norris, 2007 first rounder Andrew Brackman has been promoted to Double-A Trenton. The 6-foot-10 righthander has rebounded from a disastrous 2009 campaign to post a 2.84 ERA (eerily enough, also a 2.84 FIP) in his last eight starts (44.1 IP). More importantly, he’s walked just nine batters in 60 IP (1.35 BB/9) all season after walking 76 in 106.2 IP (6.41 BB/9) last year. He gets the ball tomorrow.

Congrats to Brackman, it’s great to see him improve so much as he gets further away from Tommy John surgery.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Dela G says:

great job brackman. keep on movin on

2. Gonzo says:

I hope he can show some brilliance early on for his confidence.

Mike, what’s his innings limit this year? Think he might tire later in the season?

3. Dela G says:

this is andrew brackman after he heard the promotion

4. Yanks99 says:

Is there any way to find out how the pitching rotations line up for minor league orgs?

Also, do you think Betances and Stoneburner will be moved up soon? What will they do – seems to be a logjam there.

• Mike Axisa says:

Just guess work for finding out the rotations, really. Look at who last pitched when, and go from there.

No for Betances, he’s just three starts back from TJS. Let him catch his breath. Stoneburner might get bumped up in August or so, maybe just for the playoffs.

• Betances probably won’t be moved. He needs to just pitch for a while without getting hurt.

Stoneburner is a better candidate to jump up a level, but not until later, possibly September when rosters expand and some of the Scranton guys move up and open some spots.

• Dellin seems to have this tag as always being hurt, as if he’s another Christian Garcia. But outside of the elbow issue, I can’t recall any other serious injuries.

Anyone have his health history handy?

5. I would assume that Manny Banuelos is replacing him in the rotation very soon. AWESOME.

The Death Star is coming along just fine.

6. Frigidevil says:

Nice nice, now I can see him sometime this summer

7. bonestock94 says:

Sweet, moving on up

8. Accent Shallow says:

Looks like be making another pilgrimage to Trenton this year.

9. vin says:

Do we have an ETA on Warren’s promotion? I assume he would be the next guy to get the bump.

10. zzzzzz says:

double A is the true test of talent right? if he does a very good/great job here he would probably be solid in the bigs eventually?

11. bexarama says:

I don’t really have anything to add but yay Brackman!

12. Chip says:

So does this put De La Rosa in the bullpen?

13. JoeyH says:

Better late than never I suppose.

• steve (different one) says:

how “late” was this?

• Brian in NH says:

Especially considering he’s on his way back from TJ surgery. Yankees knew this was going to be a developmental project. I guess the average age is around 24-25 for AA so its not like he’s too far behind at this point.

14. Chris0313 says:

My dream rotation of Banuelos, Brackman, Betances, Stonebrunner, Warren…:( for naught.

• W.W.J.M.D. says:

With Melvin closing.

• Pete says:

This is why I like baseball so much. Not only can we have “dream rotations”, wherein five players playing the same position equals one rotation, but we can have dream rotations in the minor leagues – three levels down. In no other sport would people care about anybody who is likely three years away from the big leagues, let alone five players of whom chances are not particularly great of ever even making the bigs, let alone succeeding there.

Soccer can suck it.

• steve (different one) says:

This is true. No one watches college football or basketball.

• Pete says:

that’s not the same, though. A) most of the players who will get drafted are not 3 or more years away, B) the teams are not directly affiliated with NFL or NBA teams – you’re not following the individual progress of five or ten players because you’re excited about what they might do for your team in 3 years, you’re following the success of that team, because you’re a fan of that team, separately from your pro squad of choice.

The differences between college sports and the minors are subtle, but huge.

• Brian in NH says:

I wouldn’t say soccer can suck it. I’m not a huge soccer fan really but I love the world cup. And the games have been very exciting (except New Zealand yesterday zzzzzz)

I think each sport has something unique to love about it. Just because you don’t love some of that sports uniqueness doesn’t mean it can “suck it”

15. Carlosologoist says:

Somewhere, Bo committed seppuku.

16. Mattchu12 says:

I know we all know that a starter is more valuable than a reliever, but when I read about the Brackmonster, I can’t help but imagine him with the potential to what Joba is in our bullpen now. Very excited to hear this news, I’ve always been a fan of him. Can’t wait to see how he handles Trenton.

• whozat says:

Why wouldn’t you be more excited at the notion of him pairing with Hughes at the front of the rotation?

• Pete says:

“I can’t help but imagine him with the potential to what Joba is in our bullpen now”

a mediocre, inconsistent middle reliever? that’s exciting…

*note: not a B-Jobber or a Joba-hater, just that half the reason Joba is in the pen at all right now (the other half being Phil Hughes’s Sainthood) is that he is nowhere near as effective as he used to be right now. I, for one, believe that a “regression” of his stuff and command back to his old dominance would correspond to a “regression” to his former ability to dominate as a starter, and would thereby correspond to a move back to the rotation

17. Brian says:

We’ve seen couple-week-old reports about ManBan returning, right? But it could be that Tampa is Betances, Warren, Stoneburner, Hall, and Kontos for now.