Record Last Week: 2-1 (19 RS, 19 RA)
Season Record: 58-33 (488RS, 371 RA, 56-35 Pythag. record), 3.0 games up
Schedule This Week: Monday OFF, vs. Angels (two games, Tues. and Weds.), vs. Royals (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees lost owner George Steinbrenner this week, who passed away at the age of 80 due to a heart attack. The team will wear patches in his (and Bob Sheppard’s) memory for the rest of the season.
- Phil Hughes took the loss in the All Star Game, so the National League will have home field advantage in the World Series.
- In the first Yankee game of the post-George Steinbrenner era, Nick Swisher provided the heroics with a walk-off win against the Rays. Tampa pounded Yankee pitching the next day, driving a frustrated A.J. Burnett to slam his hand against a door. The Yankees knocked David Price around yesterday to take the game and the series.
- Injury Zone: Alex Rodriguez is dealing with a minor thumb issue. Damaso Marte hit the DL with shoulder tendinitis; Boone Logan took his spot on the roster. Sergio Mitre should be back this week, not so much for Al Aceves and Nick Johnson. Andy Pettitte left yesterday’s game with a left groin strain, and could be out four to five weeks.
- Juan Miranda took Kevin Russo’s spot on the roster as the team tried to add some lefty pop to the lineup.
- The Yanks have expressed some interest in Wes Helms, and are hard after teenage righty Luis Heredia.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.