Jul

Jesus, Montero is on fire

Josh Norris was at Low-A Charleston’s game last night and got some video of Jose Ramirez and J.R. Murphy. Check it out.

Triple-A Scranton (3-1 loss to Gwinnett)
Kevin Russo, CF: 2 for 4 – got picked off first
Reegie Corona, 2B, Eric Bruntlett, 3B, Greg Golson, RF & Chad Moeller, C: all 0 for 3 – Corona drew a walk
Eduardo Nunez, SS, Jorge Vazquez, 1B & Chad Huffman, LF: all 1 for 4 – Nunez stole a base, scored a run & got caught stealing … JoVa got picked off first, K’ed twice & committed a fielding error … Huffman K’ed
Jesus Montero, DH: 3 for 3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB – eight for his last nine with two doubles & two homers … .420/.532/.740 in July … he hasn’t struck out in ten days
Tim Redding: 8 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 10-7 GB/FB, 1 E (pickoff) – 67 of 102 pitches were strikes (65.7%) … if he wasn’t Tim Redding, I’d say he’s making a might fine case to challenge Sergio Mitre for that open rotation spot
Romulo Sanchez: 1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1-0 GB/FB – eight of his 13 pitches were strikes (61.5%) … whole lotta stuff happened in the span of 13 pitches there, huh?

Double-A Trenton (4-2 loss to Richmond)
Justin Christian, DH: 2 for 5, 1 2B, 2 K
Justin Snyder, SS & Edwar Gonzalez, RF: both 0 for 4 – Snyder walked & K’ed … Edwar K’ed twice & threw a runner out at third
Matt Cusick, 2B & Brandon Laird, 3B: both 0 for 3, 1 BB – Laird K’ed
Dan Brewer, CF: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 K
Marcos Vechionacci, 1B: 2 for 4
Rene Rivera, C: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 2 PB – that’s only his third homer since signing, but it feels like it should be a whole lot more
Jack Rye, LF: 1 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 K
Andrew Brackman: 5.2 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HB, 7-2 GB/FB – 86-22 K/BB ratio in 91.1 IP
Wilkins Arias: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 0-1 GB/FB – the walk was intentional
J.B. Cox: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1-1 GB/FB

High-A Tampa (3-1 loss to Bradenton)
Ray Kruml, LF & Jose Gil, C: both 0 for 4
Jose Pirela, SS: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 E (throwing) – 17 for his last 40 (.425)
Corban Joseph, 2B: 0 for 2, 2 BB, 1 CS – five walks, one strikeout in his last six games
Bradley Suttle, DH, Melky Mesa, CF & Zoilo Almonte, RF: all 1 for 4 – Suttle & Almonte each K’ed once
Trenton Lockwood, 1B & Walt Ibarra, 3B: both 0 for 3 - Lockwood drew a walk … Ibarra committed a fielding error
Manny Banuelos: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 10 K, 2-2 GB/FB, 1 E (throwing) – 39-11 K/BB ratio in 28.1 IP
Trenton Lare: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 3-3 GB/FB
Pat Venditte: 1 IP, zeroes, 0-3 GB/FB

Low-A Charleston (5-4 win over Lakewood in 10 innings)
Slade Heathcott, CF: 2 for 5, 1 2B, 1 K – 15 for his last 41 (.366)
J.R. Murphy, C: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 K, 1 PB, 1 HBP – .650 OPS as a catcher, .591 as a DH … usually it’s the other way around, but small sample size
Jimmy Paredes, 2B: 1 for 4, 1 SB
Neil Medchill, LF & Luke Murton, 1B: both 2 for 5, 1 R – Medchill drove in a run & K’ed twice … Murton doubled
Rob Lyerly, 3B: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB, 2 E (throwing, fielding)
Kyle Higashioka, DH: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K – 14 for his last 40 (.350)
DeAngelo Mack, RF: 1 for 2, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 3 BB – second homer in the last four games
Brett Marshall: 6 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 6-4 GB/FB – he was up to 94 on the gun
Ryan Acosta: 2 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 2-1 GB/FB
Kelvin Perez: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 2-0 GB/FB
Francisco Gil: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0-2 GB/FB

Short Season Staten Island had their doubleheader rained out. They have plenty of games left against Hudson Valley, so there will be no trouble making these up. Just not sure when it’ll happen just yet.

Rookie GCL Yanks (3-1 win over GCL Blue Jays)
Cito Culver, SS: 0 for 2, 1 BB, 1 K – love seeing him hit leadoff, gets him as many plate appearances as humanly possible
Anderson Felix, 2B & Reymond Nunez, 1B: both 0 for 4 – Felix K’ed
Ramon Flores, RF: 1 for 1, 2 BB, 1 HBP – threw a runner out at second … 12 for his last 26 (.462) with six walks & four strike outs
Damian Taveras, C & Fu-Lin Kuo, DH: both 0 for 3  – Taveras got hit by a pitch, came around to score & made a throwing error
Jose Rosario, 3B: 1 for 3, 1 R
Jose Toussen, LF & Judd Golsan, CF: both 2 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 CS – Golsan doubled, scored a run & K’ed
Amaury Sanit: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2-1 GB/FB – I guess his PED suspension is over
Conor Mullee: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 4-0 GB/FB
Juan Marcano: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2-6 GB/FB

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Salty Buggah says:

JESUS! Cliff Lee, who?

2. JV says:

woo hoo montero!!!

3. Carlosologist says:

Why do I feel tonight’s DOTF headline will be Montero’s HR call in the Bronx?

4. wilcymoore27 says:

Yeah, I guess Jesus was a little upset with that Cliff Lee trade offer, huh?

5. nathan says:

BUST…. No HR today

// hehe, love this kid, i just hope he debunks the theories abt his defense.

Is Posada a fair comp for Montero or is his bat even better and defense a little less so?

• Joe says:

Montero definately is a better hitter with more power than Posada. His defense is on par with Posada if you ask me because Posada is horrible behind the plate.

• Angelo says:

You can’t say this for a fact.

• OldYanksFan says:

Scouting Report via Baseball Cube On
          JMon: Power: 80, Batting: 90, Speed: 07, Contact: 84, Patience: 45
          JoPo: Power: 81, Batting: 53, Speed: 31, Contact: 25, Patience: 88

Jesus with a career MiLB OPS of .868 thru age 20
          Jorge with a career MiLB OPS of .804 thru age 23

Matty: Power: 53, Batting: 87, Speed: 20, Contact: 95, Patience: 45
          Mattingly with a career MiLB OPS of .874 thru age 21

• Angelo says:

I’m not talking about Montero’s hitting ability. I’m talking about his defense.

• bexarama says:

Posada: Speed: 31,
            Montero: Speed: 07,

Uh oh. ;)

• The Evil Umpire says:

That’s like comparing a slug to a turtle. One may be faster than the other, but I still wouldn’t enter either in a drag race.

• Jeet says:

I’m surprised that they would have Posada’s power ranked higher than Montero’s. Raw power-wise, I think A-Rod is the only Yankee that rivals Montero. The homerun that they described as a “flick” a couple weeks ago was just that. Zeus seemed to be fooled by the pitch such that all his weight was on his front foot before he started his swing and he seemed to just flick the bat with his wrists as more of a defensive swing. I really thought it would just be a bloop single at best, but it kept going and going. I was stunned. If he can harness that raw power, I’d say he will display more power than Posada.

• Doug says:

if montero ends up with a posada career with the bat, we should count our blessings.

• whozat says:

As “horrible” as Posada may be, he’s managed to be tolerable for more than 10 years back there. It’s certainly possible that Montero could be Piazzan back there, or not even that good.

• Joe says:

funny how when young pitchers come up they don’t stick the veteren Posada behind the plate to pitch with him.

• ZZ says:

Posada is not horrible behind the plate.

His poor defense has been greatly overstated by Yankee fans over the years.

It would not even be a question of Montero being able to stick behind the plate if he was as good as Posada right now.

• Joe says:

• ZZ says:

Big Unit: Asshole

Mussina: Grumpy asshole

The people that didn’t like throwing to Posada basically didn’t like throwing to anyone. This has been stated over and over again on this board so I am not even going to go further with it.

Catcher ERA has to be the single dumbest baseball statistic recorded. I honestly believe looking at someone’s CERA may make you dumber it is so mind bogglingly useless. And why are you conveniently leaving out this year?

When has Posada ever blocked the plate????

He should NEVER block the plate unless the game is on the line in the playoffs.

He is a bordeline HOF catcher.

Catchers with Posada’s offensive skills should not block the plate. It opens them up to way too much chance of being injured for the minimal gain of maybe saving 1 run.

Catchers with Posada’s offensive ability are taught not to block the plate and put their body on the line.

I hope I never see the day that Jesus Montero blocks the plate.

• MikeD says:

Big Unit and AJ both had problems with Jorge because of Posada is a bit of a control freak. Big Unit didn’t like being today what to throw. As for AJ, he might want to listen to Posada. We’ve now seen over two seasons that it really doesn’t matter if Posada is catching, Molina or Cervelli. When AJ sucks, he sucks.

CC has not problem with Posada. Pettitte loves pitching to Posada. Wells had not problem with him. There’s a couple 200-game winners. River’s had no problem. Oh, and Posada caught Roger Clemens more than any other catcher.

Stop reading the headlines.

• Tremont says:

How many runs does Jorge cost us a year by not blocking the plate? 2? Maybe 3? Why would you want him to risk injury for something so insignificant?

• RollingWave says:

Posada probably one of the top 5 all time catcher in terms of hitting, your statement is beyond bold.

If there’s one sure thing about prospects, it’s that there’s no sure thing about prospects, anyone making a statement of fact on them is going to get burned, badly, all the time.

• bexarama says:

That. Posada has had a borderline Hall of Fame career. I want Montero to be as fucking awesome as we’ve all imagined but saying he is “definitely a better hitter than Posada” is a lot.

• Matt says:

I agree that there is no prospect that is a sure thing, but I think that a prospect who has most of his value tied into his defensive ability is much closer to a sure thing than one who is mostly a hitter. As a fielder, the jump from the minors to the majors is not that large, but hitting wise it is. There are tons of 4A players who cannot hit major league pitching, but not many star fielders who are 4A players.

• RollingWave says:

ehhh, it’s a mix of both, would you rather have Adam Dunn or Jose Monlina? Molina’s definately pretty awesome ( in his younger days) as a catcher, but he can’t hit jack.

If a guy is a legitmate enough bat, defense isn’t going to hold him from a starting job forever, in the reverse situation though, he’ll always be a backup at best.

• Matt says:

I think that defensive ability for a catcher is much less important than it is for a shortstop or a center fielder, for example, I would much rather have a great hitter like Dunn than a player like Molina, but I’m not sure who I would choose between Franklin Guttierez or Adam Dunn. I meant that I think that a prospect with great defensive ability has a lesser chance of being a bust than a prospect with hitting ability.

• MikeD says:

Really? Posada is horrible behind the plate? Isn’t this the same guy who was the starting catcher for the World Championship Yankees last year? Isn’t this the same guy who has been a member of the Yankees going back to late ’96, during which the Yankees have made the playoffs every year, that is, except the one year that Posada was injured?

Let’s not be in such a rush to send Jorge out to pasture. His OBP is still in the .370s, his SLG just under .500, and his OPS+ is 133.

Amazingly, people still don’t realize the value Posada has been bringing to the Yankees for nearly 15 seasons. You’re going to miss him when he’s gone. (Oh, and it is highly unlikely that Montero is a better defensive catcher than Posada right now.)

• Joe says:

tell me the reason why elite pitchers don’t like to pitch to him. Big Unit wouldn’t, Mussina had success when Posada wasn;t behind the plate, and now AJ and CC last year had more success without him. When has Posada ever blocked the plate???? That is what bothers me the most about him…..Never said Montero was a BETTER defensive catcher than Posada and why do young pitchers that get brought up not pitch to him.

• hello9 says:

You’ve been answered above with this nonsense.

If Mike Mussina is an elite pitcher than I’ll counter them with the following guys:

The Rocket
            CC
            Andy
            Cone

The young pitcher is puzzling too – Jorgie has caught both Joba and Phil.

It should be telling that the two guys who you pointed out are known as being pretty hard headed too.

• Angelo says:

His bat projects to be better than Posada’s, his defense is the problem. Everyone says he won’t make it on defense.

• Tom Zig says:

I mean really how bad is his defense going to be? Unless it is like the equivalent of putting Adam Dunn or Jason Giambi in catcher’s gear and sticking them behind the plate, I imagine his offense will outweigh his defense.

• Brooklyn Ed says:

Would it be appriote to compare Montero to Miguel Cabrera or V-Mart?

• Angelo says:

I remember a scout being quoted as saying “Montero is the best prospect to come out of Venezuela since Miguel Cabrera” when the Yankees first signed him.

• Doug says:

keith law compared his hitting style to frank thomas (he says with a wide grin on his face)

• zs190 says:

I’ve seen the Paul Konerko comp for him quite a few times.

• Gonzo says:

I think that comp is based on catchers that had to switch positions too. Not just the bat.

• zs190 says:

Yeah, though it doesn’t seem all that off. Paul Konerko in his prime was a 35-40 HR guy. Right handed hitter that doesn’t walk a ton and has a lot of power, I don’t hate the comp even as a hitter.

Maybe Jesus hits for a little more average and a little more power, but as a hitter, I think Paul Konerko is not all that unreasonable as a comp.

• hello9 says:

The fangraphs article that led to that comp is pretty shoddy. Konerko is a great player but if you follow along the article’s logic Montero is really Konerko+.

• Angelo says:

I’d imagine the same. I doubt his defense is as bad as the consensus has made it seem, but we will find out soon enough.

• Doug says:

it’s a consensus for a reason

• hello9 says:

If his defense projects to be marginally worse than Posada (though I think Posada has been avg at points throughout his career) and his hitting clearly better, than we might be looking at Mike Piazza.

And he’s arguably a top 5 catcher of all time despite his defensive flaws (who’re you going to put ahead of him? campy? dickey? Carter?)

• Doug says:

yup, never said i wouldn’t leave him there.

• hello9 says:

Yeah – I wasn’t really replying to your comment specifically, just thinking out loud on this thread.

There is of course a bug in projecting Montero to be Posada-ish or better. We’ve been ridiculously lucky to have Posada and in my opinion he’s coming closer and closer to a HoF career. It’ll be hard to replicate that regardless of how good Jesus looks now.

That said, the catcher position is probably the weakest overall position (along with SS) in terms of depth + overall quality so even a Posada-lite would be great. The complication with that of course, is Romine and Sanchez.

• Scallionboy says:

You might also consider putting Bench, Yogi and Pudge just a leeeeeeettttllle bit ahead of Jorge, no?

• Angelo says:

I don’t disagree, but I wouldn’t be surprised if many of these people were going off of others reports.

Also, if a trusted source said Montero will be able to stay as a catcher, and they ended up being wrong, their information would not seem as valid. But if they are correct, they will become a more trusted source.

It’s a lot easier to follow the crowd in this sense. If everyone/consensus ends up being wrong, no one looks bad because everyone thought Montero wouldn’t make it on defense.

I hope that made sense.

6. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

he hasn’t stuck out in ten days

/speechless

7. I Voted for Kodos says:

I’m so glad I don’t have to continually read about how well Montero is hitting for the Mariners.

8. nathan says:

Montero’s #s completely made me overlook the BRACKMAN’s. Good job kids

• How about Banuelos’ numbers? You overlook those too?

• nathan says:

That too. In minor league heaven.

• Reggie C. says:

Are you following your favorite Horace Mann grad?

Along with Jesus Montero, Pedro Alvarez hit 2 shots yesterday himself. Alvarez being a local kid, i can’t help but think and wish him well.

• hello9 says:

W/Tabata and Ohlendorf and exciting guys like McCutch I could almost sell myself into making them my NL team. Then I remember how insufferable all my pitt friends are about sports.

• I’m following him very closely. I’m glad to see he’s adjusting nicely to life in the bigs. He had a rough start. He hit another two home runs today.

• Rob Has no Innings Limit says:

Alvarez hitting 2 bombs off you?

I’m proud to say I know that feeling from first-hand experience.

I’ve enjoyed following him and definitely root for him because I still remember the stocky kid in white and maroon who launched my crappy changeup over an equipment shed.

• Salty Buggah says:

And ManBan.

9. Jeety says:

Jose Pirella is coming along too… hows his defense?

• Jeety says:

Just to support my comment…

June .289/.375/.458 OPS… .833
      July .324/.438/.473 OPS… .911

oh and hes a SS!!!

• Angelo says:

He was signed the same year as Montero, I believe.

• zs190 says:

I haven’t read scouting reports about him because he seems to be really under the radar, though with that body type, it would seem like he is probably not a long term shortstop, no? (5’10, 191 would seem like a really goofy looking shortstop)

The walks at his age/league are impressive and he seems to be a good baserunner, so he bears watching, maybe an utility guy in the future?

10. camilo gerardo says:

“whole lotta stuff happened in the span of 13 pitches there, huh?”

Don’t you know. teh jobber would be 31 pitches 1ip, 2H, 1k, 1bb

11. Chris0313 says:

Jesus, Montero wants visit the Bronx this year.

12. Mattchu12 says:

I can’t help but think that Montero should be promoted to the bigs sometime soon. I know his defense is lagging behind his bat, but I’m wondering if working with Tony Pena in New York will be just as effective if not more effective in his defensive development.

Robbie’s defense was nothing to brag about a few years ago, but now I live for grounders to second base just to see Cano make a nice play to get him out. A lot of that had to do with Pena and Larry Bowa and now Joe Girardi apparently.

Don’t kill me. Just ponder with me.

• Operation Venditte says:

I’m with ya Tony Pena is an amazing coach and maybe just maybe he could make Montero a servicable catcher

• Mattchu12 says:

I’m just not sure if I buy that playing everyday in the minors is going to be more effective than playing most days in the Majors with Tony Pena as his coach.

With our DH situation, it would make a lot of sense to have Montero catch four days a week and DH twice with Posada catching on those two day and a third day when Montero has the night off.

13. Carlosologist says:

I’m willing to stand by my prediction. Even if he doesn’t meet my lofty expectations, I’d be freaking ecstatic if he got to .290/.380/.500

• hello9 says:

Anything above an .850 ops for a 20 year old catcher in AAA is filthy. The fact that Jesus could reach that territory despite his abysmal start would make it hard to argue putting anybody except Brown and maybe Trout above him on a prospect list.

14. dennis says:

anyone know if manbam velocity is higher he has been striking guys out at an impressive rate this year.

15. Doug says:

okay, as i certainly didn’t believe in the jesus when i predicted august 5 as the date he’d pass an ops of .800, gonna go with july 24 for when he’ll surpass .900.

at 30 pt. intervals, only gonna take him 3 more days.

16. A.D. says:

Huge strides by Marshall without even pitching much last year.

• Reggie C. says:

Yep. It’ll be fun to see Jose Ramirez and Brett Marshall in High-A next season. Marshall will probably log as many innings, within reason of course, as he can considering he missed the bulk of the first half.

Anyone know if Marshall’s ceiling is along the lines of Jose Ramirez? Both aren’t very tall guys and kinda have the same frame. Marshall might be a year older though.

• zs190 says:

Staying healthy is a big thing after the major surgery and I consider that alone to be a success. Command is still iffy, but the stuff is definitely there (actually hit 95 today)

17. YanksFan in MA says:

Can we get rid of the Montero watch? It’s clearly a jinx.

18. Slugger27 says:

i noticed there hasnt been a lot of “can we please take the montero watch down……..?????” comments in the past month

/smug’d

19. boogie down says:

Question for the person(s) who started the “Montario” nickname.. How’d it come about?

btw, over his last 11 games, Montero’s 16-35 with 4 2B’s, 4 HR’s, and 6 BB’s. That’s a .457/.524/.914/1.438 line. Yahtzee!

20. bexarama says:

It’s hilarious that, what, a month and a half ago, so many people wanted to demote Montero to AA and now so many people want him up in the big league club (not saying that everyone who wanted him demoted want him up now). Almost like you gotta be patient with prospects.

21. ZZ says:

I remember when some people wanted to send Montero down to AA.

Now there are some calling for him on the big league club.

Oh how the tides have changed.

22. rebecca from phone says:

Jew for jesus

23. joe says:

I hope they do call up Montero. Lets face it, when the playoffs roll around the Yankees are not going to DH Posada which means they will need a DH and I really believe Montero can help the Yankees.

24. phughesisgod says:

LOL. This is just getting comical. Montero is just going wild down there. Its getting to the point where teams may have to do what the Angels did with Robby this series, intentionally walk him like its their jobs.

25. Andrew Brotherton says:

Jim Callis did say that he would still make the comparison between Miguel Cabrera and Montero.

26. All Star Carl says:

Montero hit’s a bomb. 2nd homer from that 2 homer game.

• Reggie C. says:

There’s something just weird about that stroke. Is it me or does the bat look short at the end of the swing? Its possibly an illusion and due to the graininess of the video, but I wonder how much plate coverage Montero has with that stroke.

• Barry says:

Nothing wrong with shortening up your swing for a specific pitch. I wouldn’t be too worried about it.

• camilo gerardo says:

he didn’t shorten up at all; you can see that before he swings.

Even though the pitch was middle-middle, he did bring his hands in on contact in part to swing through the ball, but mostly to get the sweet spot on the ball. Remember, he is 6’5; he could extend to pull outside,low pitches for hr’s in theory, vis a vis vladimir. Good thing his pd is better, though

27. kaywizz22 says:

Next years Charleston line-up is going to be stacked with fun prospects. Cito Culver, Kelvin De Leon, Slade Heathcott, JR Murphy, Gary Sanchez, Rob Segedin.

• Plank says:

I really doubt Cito will be in Charleston next year.

• YankeeGrunt says:

Slade may play his way to Tampa next year. Over .300 in July, still K’s too much though. Interesting question will be what happens with Sanchez/Murphy. Do they want to have a repeat of Tampa last year, where two catchers who really need to be behind the plate every day are splitting time?

• Doug says:

no, and that’s why i think sanchez stays a level behind murphy and at least starts the season at charleston

• Angelo says:

Unless Murphy destroys Charleston the rest of this year, or shows significant improvements between now and next season, he should be in Charleston.

The Yankees had Romine and Montero at the same level before, so it’s not impossible to believe that they will have Sanchez (assuming he starts at Low-A) and Murphy at the same level next season.

• YankeeGrunt says:

That was what I was saying about Tampa. It wasn’t a catastrophe, but it definitely cost both kids reps. And with catching prospects as defensively raw as Murphy and Sanchez that could be limiting. If Sanchez’s bat is there though I just don’t see them leaving him in short season.

28. Jordan says:

When will Posada et the respect he deserves? You people have no clue how much he has meant to this team.

• You’re the only one who understands his true value.

• hello9 says:

I’d bet you a good proportion of the posters here would name Jorgie as their favorite player (myself included). He’s had multiple articles written by major outlets about his hall of fame case (a decent number of them supporting his case) and he’s had profiles done on him by espn and others.

The only people who don’t recognize his value are the dunces who claimed Molina and Cervelli provided better value them him. Considering that he also has a smoking hot wife and an adorable kid I’m sure he won’t be crying himself to sleep if a couple RAB posters don’t value him correctly.

• Angelo says:

I love Posada personally. And I’m pretty sure most of the posters here value him very much too. I think some people just get a little crazy with the catching prospects, that they forget how valuable he has been (sadly.)

Realistically, the chances of Montero, Romine, Sanchez, or Murphy, doing what Posada has done are slim to none.

29. Doug says:

the manchild is en fuego:

last 21 games: .408/.500/.737/1.237; 16/9 BB/K
    last 33 games: .372/.439/.678/1.117; 16/20 BB/K

30. JohnC says:

I can see both Slade and Murphy repeating Charleston next season. Slade needs to cut down on his strikeouts, and Murphy to work on his catching skills.

• Doug says:

and he isn’t exactly setting the world on fire with his bat either (.240/.284/.327).

that said, i think he improves upon that a bit as the season moves along and the yanks start him in tampa next year (with sanchez opening in charleston)

• Angelo says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if things changed between now and the start of next season. There’s winterball, spring training and extended spring training.

Plenty of things could change between now and then. Maybe Heathcott and to a lesser extext, Murphy make some big strides to go to High-A ball.

• Angelo says:

In addition to this….

They weren’t even expected to stay in Charleston this year. They were supposed to be sent down to SI once that season started, so they’ve already over-achieved. Don’t be too surprised if they do it again. Still, if they go to High-A I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

31. coolerking101 says:

Anyone hear anything about Brackman’s stuff last night? I’m curious as to why he is getting hit so much. Is his fastball straight w/ no movement?

I wonder if the Yanks told him they don’t care if he gives up hits so long as he keeps the walks down.