Jul

Moseley to start Thursday

Via Bryan Hoch, Joe Girardi confirmed that Dustin Moseley will start against the Indians on Thursday in his pre-game press conference. Sergio Mitre will resume working out of the bullpen after apparently losing his job in his first start off the disabled list. Can’t say I’m expecting much out of Moseley, but let’s just hope for the best.

(Get well soon, Andy)

Categories : Asides

1. bonestock94 says:

Holy crap, short leash. Don’t mind so much. If he blows up bring in Nova.

2. Cam says:

A little unusual from Girardi, considering how he typically stands by his players.

3. j_Yankees says:

Well…we went from sucky to maybe less sucky? YAY.

4. J.R. says:

Any chance that he is trying to showcase Mosely?

5. Bryan says:

(Grabs bucket, blows chunks…)

6. Here are the career stats for two players:

Player A: 5.45 ERA, 1.524 WHIP, 5.4 K/9, 3.0 BB/0, 1.8 K/BB
    Player B: 5.34 ERA, 1.522 WHIP, 5.2 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, 1.84 K/BB

One player is starting Thursday while one player is no longer starting Thursday.

7. Chris0313 says:

Is Ivan Nova dead?

8. Sexy Man Inc. says:

I am the sexy man- go Mosely

9. pat says:

Great, now when Moseley gives up 7 runs in 5 innings Mitre can come out of the pen and pitch a scoreless 3 IP.

10. Well, at least it’s not Mitre. If he bombs out, I guess Nova gets a shot.

11. mustang says:

Thus starts the 5th spot carousel.

12. phughesisgod says:

Mosley deserved this start with what he did in relief for Mitre where he absolutely shut the Royals down. Under normal circumstances I wouldnt be expecting much out of Mosley, but right now I am expecting less than normal because I think he’ll probably be on a pitch count.

13. bexarama says:

Yay woooo? At least now I can stop hearing about how Girardi has a “ridiculous love affair” and other more, erm, PG-13 comments about Mitre.

(Get well soon, Andy)
    I’m trying over here but one man can only take so many groin massages in one day, you know

14. mustang says:

A few weeks ago Lee was overkill for many now they have Mosely starting. Baseball is hilarious.

15. YankeesJunkie says:

I am sort of surprised that Nova is not giving a shot, I guess dumping one of Chad Ho Moseley would make the fans to happy. Ivan Nova has a sub 4 FIP, 54% grounders, and 7 K/9 in AAA. Honestly this is no worse of a choice that Mitre or Moseley why not give the kid a real shot.

16. Pete says:

I am DISGUSTED that we don’t have an all-star caliber 6th starter

/muffindick’d (I think?)

17. Kiersten says:

On the plus side, it’s the Indians. So hopefully the Yankees can salvage a win anyway.

*reminds self that the 2009 Yankees won 103 games with Mitre and Gaudin in the rotation*

18. viridiana says:

Yeah, no worries. We’ve got Tim Redding down in SWB to take over if Moseley fails.

Does Cash just want to prove himself a genius for scraping thse guys off the bottom of the barrel? Only so many Aaron Smalls.

19. steve s says:

Aaron Small looked in pretty good shape on Oldtimer’s day.

20. Steve H says:

If you’re going to pull the plug on Mitre, at least replace him with someone with more potential upside like Nova.

• Cashman probably doesn’t want to make an unnecessary roster move (or expose Nova to a bad outing on the big stage) in advance of the trading deadline. Had this start occurred in August, I bet Nova would have been a bigger consideration.

I mean, if you bring Nova up, who’s going down? Joba, D-Rob, and Logan are the only guys in the pen you can demote without DFAing, and none of them are going anywhere (despite our Joba pleas).

No need to DFA one of the Chad Ho Moseley hydra before the trade deadline just for one start, that’s an overreaction. If Mitre’s not getting the start, it should go to either Moseley or Gaudin since they’re already on the club.

• viridiana says:

No over-reaction to DFA Moseley. Entirely sensible. But, OK, let’s hope he does well with this shot.

• He’s had four appearances with the team and done just not-crappy enough to warrant a bit of a longer look. There’s no reason to make a move for making a move’s sake. He’s also not that old where he’s totally beyond hope and it’s not guaranteed that Nova is any sort of upgrade at this point.

• Steve H says:

I agree with not making roster moves. I just don’t see why Moseley instead of Mitre after one start.

• Steve O. says:

I agree, I can totally see Mitre “shutting down” the Indians to the tune of, say, 7 innings 2 ER with the sinker going well. Can I see Mosely doing that? Not even in my wildest dreams.

Mitre doesn’t have to set the world on fire, just be serviceable. That’s why I place him over Mosely, the last start notwithstanding.

• B-Rando says:

Yet it was Moseley who shut down the Royals for 4.2IP while giving up 1 hit and walking one batter, while Mitre went 4.1IP giving up 7 runs, 5 earned. The Royals are hitters, they get a lot of baserunners…look at CCs start against them, what was it 11 or 12 hits he gave up? Moseley held them to 1 through 4.2 innings.

After that start by Mitre, and mop up work by Moseley I say you give the kid a shot.

• Steve O. says:

I agree, it’s the anti-showcase. Also who would get sent down?

21. Kiersten says:

What’s Dan Giese up to these days?

• JohnnyC says:

Giese had TJ surgery last year and has just started his rehab assignment for the A’s with AAA Sacramento.

22. Doug says:

via lohud: “Girardi said he thinks Mitre, because of the injury, is better prepared to pitch out of the bullpen rather than the rotation at this point.

“I don’t think he’s physically ready to do it,” Girardi said.

hmmm, maybe should’ve thought about that before sending him out there in the first place

• Meh, what other option did he have? And before you scream “NOVA!!!”, consider the roster implications.

Giving a possibly not-all-the-way-ready yet Mitre a shot was a better option than DFAing someone two weeks before the trade deadline just to give a start to a greenhorn kid.

• j_Yankees says:

didn’t have to DFA someone.

Alby went down for Mitre. and although it was, IMO, the wrong move…You could have done the same thing for Nova to start until Mitre was ready…and then you could have sent down Nova for Mitre.