Jul

Nick Swisher will participate in Home Run Derby

Via Sweeny Murti, first time All Star Nick Swisher with try his luck in the Homerun Derby on Monday, filling the spot vacated by the “injuredRobbie Cano. The Yankees weren’t too pleased with Cano being in the event, and I can’t imagine that they want Swish there either. Will he come up with a minor injury between now and Monday? My money’s on a sore biceps.

Categories : Asides

1. Kevin in Delectable Princeton says:

Not that I know much about this, but Swisher’s swing is a lot bigger and more home-runny than Cano’s. Not that I believe it messes up swings, but it would be less likely to mess up Swisher’s.

2. bonestock94 says:

I preferred it when I wasn’t aware of the post HR derby woes.

3. mbonzo says:

Swisher might have injured his bicep from saluting the bleacher creatures too hard.

4. Chris A says:

I’m not sure I believe the myths about the HR Derby messing up hitters’ swings, but the Yankees obviously don’t want their players doing this. Is MLB announcing people without asking the player’s team first. MLB would look kind of silly if the Yankees pulled another player out of the Derby. Plus, the fact that they’re choosing players like Swisher and Chris Young to participate shows how ridiculous this thing is anyway.

• The stuff about messing up swings is so silly. It’s never been studied comprehensively (that I’m aware of) and it’s just cherry picking a few players that had hot 1st halves to the season and were due to regress.

The HR Derby is basically batting practice. Players goof around and try to see who can hit more HRs in BP all the time. If you have a problem with batting practice, you probably should be in another business.

• Tom Zig says:

correlation = causation?

• Chris A says:

Yeah, I completely I agree, but it seems obvious that the Yankees don’t like their players doing it and it is kind of funny that another Yankee was selected for it.

• I doubt it’s as much the org saying “We don’t want our players messing up their swings during the HR derby” as it’s “We don’t want our players taking a single swing or throwing a single pitch, ever, that’s not in the service of the New York Yankees, because each swing and each pitch is a potential injury, no matter how unlikely”.

I’m sure if they could get them to cancel the All Star Game itself, they would.

• Andrew518 says:

In the days before the hype of post derby slump (pre Abreu) I played ball (poorly) but was having a great season with the bat. Just for fun some friends and I had our own derby, jacking tennis balls over the trees and out of my yard which required a super upper cut swing. From that point on I couldn’t hit a damn thing. I personally made a direct connection between that round of hr derby and the loss of my stroke. Is there a huge difference between a lousy high-school hitter and an all-star caliber major leaguer? With out a doubt, but for me at least it goes to show just how temprimental a baseball swing can be. Derby slump a myth? perhaps, but as a Yankee fan I’d rather not risk it.

5. Tom Zig says:

How about a Juan Pierre, Scott Podsednik, Ramiro Pena, Reggie Willits HR derby?

• mbonzo says:

Brett Gardner is already signed up for the inside the park homerun derby.

• Angelo says:

Add Michael Bourn, Rajah Davis, Nyjer Morgan, and Gardner!

I would’ve said Ichiro, but “apparently” he can hit 25 homeruns a year if he wanted to.

• Next time the Mariners are in town, get there early and watch him take batting practice. He can do anything he wants with a bat in his hands.

• Then he’s stupid not to hit more home runs.

• Rivera Venue Blues says:

If his OBP would drastically fall as a result of hitting more homers, there is a point at which it would make sense to not try to hit homers. But the idea that he can keep up his other stats and hit more homers if he wanted to is absurd.

• I’m not sure if his OBP would fall. If he hit for more power, he’d likely be pitched around more, no? Then it follows that Ichiro, a guy with a good batting eye, would start to walk a bit more.

• But the idea that he can keep up his other stats and hit more homers if he wanted to is absurd.

Who ever said that? The idea that he can hit more HRs comes with the assumption that his other numbers would drop, since he’s changing his approach.

• No, it’s about his approach as a leadoff hitter. His job is to get on base, and he does it as well as anyone in Baseball. If he were a 3-4 hitter, he would have a different approach.

If you haven’t seen him take BP, you don’t know what I was referring to. He systematically hits ground balls to the left, then center, then right. Then hits line drives in the same sequence, then hits fly balls in the same sequence, some of which land in the 2nd deck. This is BP, so the pitches are all the same. He changes his swing for each situation that he wants to execute. Very cool stuff.

• Jose the Satirist says:

I’ll take your word for it since you’ve seen it with your own eyes.

• Pete says:

Ichiro does not get on base as well as anyone in baseball. You know who does? Albert Pujols, Justin Morneau, and Kevin Youkilis (among others).

Know what else those guys do? Hit home runs.

I believe that Ichiro physically could hit 30 HRs, but only if he took HR swings every swing, which would result in his being a much worse hitter. But I also believe that a lot of guys in baseball could do that. If it didn’t hurt a team to have a .150/.150/.250 line, then guys like Cody Ransom could probably knock out 20 or 30 bombs too.

• Jose the Satirist says:

I’ll give you a hint, there is excessive hype that he can do whatever he wants with the bat. The collective circle jerk the media does with the supposed “Ichiro could hit any way he wants to, but he prefers fewer extra base hits to have a higher batting average” is hilarious.

• Total Dominication says:

GGBG actually does have some inkling of power.

6. Nick Swisher participated in a home run derby once.

There were no survivors.

7. Chris says:

This is going to be awesome. Only swisher would just jump in to try his luck. He’s going to win. I’m calling it. hes the F***in man

8. Poopy Pants says:

Yuck. How ’bout these dummies do a push up competition instead? or arm wrestling?