Jul

Open Thread: Send Swish!

Photo Credit: Michael Dwyer, AP

It’s Day Three of the Send Swish! campaign, and we’re sad to report that Kevin Youkilis has taken a narrow lead over Nick Swisher in the voting for that precious final spot on the AL All Star Team. There’s still two days left to vote, and you can always come here to RAB and click on our little Send Swish! button to go to the ballot. Youkilis has already been to two All Star Games, screw him, let’s get Swish in there. Go vote people!

Once you’re done casting your ballot, use this as your open thread. The Mets are playing the Reds, and there’s another game on MLB Network, but who you see depends on where you live. Could be Red Sox-Rays, which has obvious Yankee ramifications. Anything goes, just be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Kiersten says:

Does anyone know off hand the last time the Yankees had a worse record in the second half of the season than they did in the first?

2. bexarama says:

Can someone explain why YES has last year’s ALDS Game 3 as a Yankees Classic but not Game 2???

3. Dela G says:

pavano is pitching againt the blue jays

please kill the americal idle

4. poster on another computer says:

I want Swisher to beat out Youkilis so badly.

5. Ivan says:

Hey TSJC, what are your thoughts on the Knicks signing Amare?

6. sam says:

Swish has been one of my favorite players for years – I guess I’m a Moneyball slut – and when we got him for Wilson Betemit, it was my happiest moment of any offseason in years. I know CC and Tex (and AJ, I guess… although I think Swish is more valuable to the team) were bigger names, but all Swish has done since coming to the Yankees is get on base, hit for power, play good defense in RF, and do it all with a smile on his face and the look of pure joy that you can only get when you’re doing something you really love. He’s also doing it for a pretty reasonable price, especially when you consider the fact that we gave up literally NOTHING to get him.

There was a lot of Swish-haterade on the Yankee blogs, especially last year, and honestly I never understood it. What more do you want from the guy? He’s great. He’s one of the best RFs in the league. He even pitched a scoreless inning when we ran out of pitchers in a blowout. That’s the kind of guy you build a championship team with, and we proved it last year. If anyone here is a Swish-hater, I really would like to hear why. He’s one of my three favorite current Yanks, along with probably Cano and Mariano.

I love that yankees.mlb.com put up the “Send Swish” button as their official background. It’s still there, but you can only see it for a moment before the rest of the page loads. I managed to screengrab it, and it’s hysterical… I think it’s better than the one they’re officially using. Check it out:

• sam says:

Oops, I’m dumb. No IMG tags in RAB comment section. Well, I put it up on ImageShack, so if you want to see it (or use it for your own purposes), it’s here:

Apologies in advance if I’m somehow violating a rule… I know you’re not supposed to link to your own blog or anything dumb like that, and I’m not trying to advertise or anything. Just wanted to give people a nice little Swish All-Star support button. Hope y’all like it.

7. I Voted for Kodos says:

Brandon Phillips hits a leadoff double off Santana. Dusty Baker has Orlando Cabrera, who has been hitting well lately, sacrifice him to third. Santana then strikes out Votto and gets Rolen to pop up.

Why do some people insist on bunting in those situations? I truly don’t understand how Major League managers can think it’s a good idea in the first inning.

8. Which movie should I watch before the Yankees:

Good Night, and Good Luck
    Stardust
    Star Trek
    The Dark Knight

?

9. Kiersten says:

I’m really excited to watch CC tonight. The way I was excited to watch Hughes every five days in April and May.

10. bexarama says:

I kinda can’t believe there’s only been one grand slam in All-Star Game history.

11. Answer to Mets’ trivia (two guys to have 25+ HRs/80+ SBs): Eric Davis and Rickey Henderson.

12. jay says:

Anyone know the name of the pitcher for the diamondbacks a few years back (maybe last year) who was a stud hitter… not dan haren.

13. JobaJr says:

Buy or sell the Cliff Lee talks heating up.

• Jose the Satirist says:

Buy. I’m pretty sure that Cliff Lee will be traded before the deadline.

• If you mean involving the Yankees, sell.

The Yanks are playing the Mainers next week, I would expect them to have some scouts at the game even if Lee was already dealt somewhere.

As far as the Yanks being involved, yes, absolutely. They will want to make sure they establish a nice floor of prospects for the deal so the the team who gets him doesn’t steal him like the Mets did with Santana. Even if it’s a team like the Twins, they will still want to make sure they bid up the price, since the Twins are a likely playoff opponent both now and in future years. The Mariners will (of course) be more than happy to play along with this and inform all the bidders of the Yankee offers.

But is the Yankee interest in Lee totally serious? No, they have no need for him. It’s Roy Halladay all over again.

14. Dela G says:

Lyle overbay just went deep against the american Idle!!!

2-2 game

15. Kiersten says:

Youkilis is on the ground injured… SEND SWISH!

• Carcillo says:

Because Boston needs another injury right about now…

This is seriously the ’09 Mets redux. Pretty ridiculous.

• Dela G says:

nooooooooooo!!!!!! my fantasy teams are in dire trouble if youk goes down

• Kiersten says:

This is why I can’t play fantasy baseball. Never in a million years would I be able to have a Red Sox on my team and actually have to root for one… especially Youkilis.

• Dela G says:

lol i really dont choose by team because if i did i would have a team littered with NL players. I have a combined total of 4 red sox, 2 orioles and 2 rays on my two teams. it’s not fun to play against them :/

to make it worse, i have cahill going tonight against the yanks

• Dirty Pena says:

I play fantasy, and this is specifically why I will obtain a Red Sox player in the event of a tie (unless the league cost like 50% of your income, in which case why would you be in it?, but I digress) It’s a win-win. The guy does good, at least he’s doing it for your team. The guy does bad enough to hurt your team, it hurts the Sox.

• Jose the Satirist says:

That sucks. Never want to see an injury.

16. Dela G says:

i love watching the blue jays because their announcers are pretty funny and get along like best friends

plus, for some odd reason, they call edwin encarnacion’s name, incar-niss-e-own

17. Januz says:

Anyone watching Sox/Rays on MLB? Kevin Youkilis came out of the game with a freak injury.

18. JGS says:

To anyone who saw it–what happened to Youk?

• Jose the Satirist says:

Dustin Pedroia was hiding in the grass and Youk tripped over him. Pedroia then scampered off.

• Januz says:

It is like he was kicking off dust, and getting readdy to get in the batters box, Dwayne Statts on Sun Sports said it looks like his achillies.

19. ultimate913 says:

So I was reading the Lee rumors and saw

“The Yankees are “kicking the tires” on Lee, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The source estimates that the Yanks have less than a 50% chance of obtaining Lee and suggests the Yankees could flip Javier Vazquez to another team if they do acquire Lee.”

I highly doubt the Yanks would get anything decent for Vazquez. What teams would be interested in Vazquez anyways? I’m guessing the Phillies and the Mets. But again. What do they have that the Yankees would want and they’d be willing to give up for Vazquez?

20. Sean says:

Has anyone covered the fact that Youk left the game with a bad leg, I read it may be an Achiles!! Awesome

21. JobaWockeeZ says:

If Youk goes on the DL my team is effed. Utley, Youk and Manny. Doens’t help that Rollins can’t play more than 3 games before dying as well.

22. ultimate913 says:

Posada is in the lineup today… at catcher. I was thinking he would get some more days off but I guess not. Cool.

23. Kevin in Delectable Princeton says:

I’ve been voting non-stop for Swisher and Votto for two days. I think I might take a little break.

24. Total Dominication says:

Can someone please explain why Colin Curtis is in our lineup instead of Juan Miranda.

25. RalphieD says:

sweet pic of culver

http://i47.tinypic.com/im0w01.jpg (SAFE)

26. Januz says:

I hate the Red Sox with a passion, but I don’t wish an injury like that on him. I remember the Wong game in Houston, that essentially ended his Yankee Career.

27. Total Dominication says:

NYPost_Kernan #Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long is not happy that Robinson Cano is in the HR Derby, saying, “It’s an exhausting process.

28. JobaWockeeZ says:

Yay Rays leading 2-1.

29. Total Dominication says:

BJ Upton just came this close to being productive.

30. Total Dominication says:

If youk wins but can’t play due to injury, does the runner-up get selected.

31. Total Dominication says:

Cano’s avg has dropped like 30 poins in the last 2 weeks.

32. Dirty Pena says:

Can we just make a deal with another team next year? It would slightly bother me if we lost because Boston and Cincy teamed up and it doesn’t seem that hard.

33. JM says:

If Youkilis hits the DL, does that mean there is a Final 4 and Swisher is in the lead? 8 Yankees in the All-Star Game would be sweeeeeet

34. Total Dominication says:

Lohud:
    Long said flat out he would rather Cano not participate. “This will be the first time I’m not going to root for Cano,” Long said. “Any time you have one of your guys going in there, there is a concern and I think it’s warranted too because of what’s happened in the past.”

• poster on another computer says:

I’d like Long to point out where exactly the data pointed to the HR derby causing somebody to hit worse in the second half.

I’m sure for all the negative cases he finds, there are just as many positives or neutrals to be found.

• kunaldo says:

Agreed. Also, couldn’t he say he’s rooting for him to win as long as his swing isn’t affected? Long seems like a good dude and all, but the comment just seems unnecessarily negative. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me.

• JGS says:

And most of the negatives can be explained by other reasons. Heck, I would argue that Abreu’s first half power surge that year was the anomaly.

• Poopy Pants says:

Obviously a player who plays EVERY day and never gets a rest during the season will only be positively affected by swinging as hard as he can (violently) for a few rounds (plus warmups) when he could be getting some nice rest and probably needed rejuvenation time (during the All Star BREAK).

I also think Hughes should go to little town carnivals and throw as hard as he can for an extended period of time to try to win some plastic helmets or large blow up bats. It’s obviously a great and intelligent idea.

• poster on another computer says:

The difference: Cano plays EVERY DAY, as you said. Pitchers pitch every five days, and it’s generally accepted that pitching is more dangerous to health than hitting.

Who has gotten hurt in the HR derby?

35. Feinsand via Twitter: Mariano Rivera withdraws from the All-Star Game. “I’ve been pitching hurt.”

36. Total Dominication says:

It’s not the ASG w/o MO Rivera.

37. pat says:

Lindsay Lohan is going to jail. Awesome.

38. Kiersten says:

The Red Sox currently have 4 starters in their lineup.

::insert evil laugh here::

39. Remember when everyone involved with the Mets was burying Wright because he had so many strikeouts? Good times.

40. Total Dominication says:

El Maqunito is 0-6 tonight. Bust.

41. Total Dominication says:

Michio Kaku is like Albert Einstein with social skills.

42. Total Dominication says:

Rivera has some minor right knee inflamation.

43. Total Dominication says:

So, do the Angels move Weaver’s start to let him be in the ASG?

44. Jerry Jersey says:

Hey, am I crazy or is the Yankee outfield MILES better defensively than I can remember.

Can someone find the stats to find out if I’m crazy or merely observing the truth?