Jul

The Yankees’ top five trade chips

(AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

We’re now just three full days from the trade deadline, so the rumor mill is going to pick up very soon. Unlike five or six years ago, the Yankees actually have some good young players to offer in a deal right now, players other teams in the league actually want. That used to not be the case, which is why Eric Duncan was promoted so aggressively back in the day; they were trying to boost his trade value. Thankfully don’t have that problem any more. There are waves of talent coming up through the system, so the Yanks could offer high probability players from the upper minors or high upside players a little further away.

GM Brian Cashman‘s stock line has been “No one is untouchable, but some are more touchable than others,” which is simple enough and right to the point. I’m sure the Yankees would move Robbie Cano or Phil Hughes in the right deal, but the odds that right deal comes along are very slim. As I put together this list of the players with the most trade value in the organization, I left those two off for that reason. It’s just incredibly unlikely that they’ll be traded.

I have to say, putting this together was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. Balancing big leaguers with guys still in the minors is never easy to do, especially when you’re trying to figure out how much those players appeal to other teams.

Remember, this list is extremely subjective, so make sure you leave your two cents in the comments.

1. Jesus Montero, C

Despite being one of the game’s best prospects, Montero has been no stranger to the trade rumor circuit. The Yanks offered him for Roy Halladay last year, and then again for Cliff Lee this year. Rumors have swirled about the team “dangling” him for Joakim Soria, though that sounds like a game of rumor telephone gone wrong. Either way, it’s clear other teams value the Yanks’ best prospect, enough to consider swapping a front-line player for him.

Still just 20-years-old, Montero rebounded from a poor start to the season in Triple-A and has hit .371/.481/.645 with more walks (13) than strikeouts (11) in July. Even though his future at catcher is uncertain, Montero has immense trade value as a well-above average bat with six years of team control ahead of him. Victor Wang’s research pegs his trade value at a staggering $36.5M.

2. Brett Gardner, OF

I don’t believe the Yanks would go out and actively shop Gardner, but I do believe they’d have no trouble parting with him in a trade if it came down to it. They could market him as a .380 OBP, 40 steal, Gold Glove caliber centerfielder with four more years of cost control left, which has big time value on the trade market. We know that the White Sox, Royals, and Cubs have had varying levels of interest in trading for Gardner over the last year or so.

The Yanks would have to bring in a replacement via free agency after the season, which would be expensive but not an issue of talent with players like Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth out there. I get a trade value of $53.3M using Sky Kalkman’s trade value calculator, though I suspect my WAR projections were a tad optimistic.

3. Joba Chamberlain, RHP

(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Even though his 2010 season has been particularly horrific, other teams still have interest in Joba. The Diamondbacks asked for him in a Dan Haren deal, ditto the Blue Jays and Scott Downs. The Yankees would be selling low, very low, which is why I don’t expect them to move him, but they could present him as a guy that has flirted with the upper-90′s this year and shown a put-away slider and a good curveball.

Joba’s trade value isn’t as high as it was a few years ago not necessarily because he’s stunk this season, but because he’s about to enter his arbitration years. His league minimum salary is going to become a seven figure payout next year, which works against him. There are still plenty of teams out there that would be willing to move him back into the rotation, I’m sure of it. I have his trade value at $16.1M as a reliever and $21.9M as a starter.

4. Austin Romine, C

Depth behind the plate is a wonderful thing. Teams will often overpay for quality catchers in trades or free agency because of dearth of good backstops, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that Romine is the team’s best minor league trade chip behind Montero. He doesn’t offer the same offensive potential, but he’s a virtual lock to stay behind the plate, boosting his trade value. As a projected league average hitter with above average defense and six full years of cost control left, Romine could be the centerpiece in any kind of deal short of one involving a superstar. Wang’s research has his value at $23.4M.

5. Ivan Nova, RHP

Nova was considered a key piece in a potential Haren deal, and his value comes from being a big league ready starting pitcher with six full seasons on team control left. No, he’s not going to be an ace and is likely to top out as a mid-rotation starter (if that), but getting a player like that for six figures through 2013 is kind of a big deal. He’s imminently movable, and easily the player most likely to be traded in this post. Wang’s research has his trade value at just $1.5M, though I suspect it’s a little higher in reality. Maybe that’s just my bias.

* * *

Like Nova, Hector Noesi has six years of control left as a high probability back-end starter. His extreme control of the strike zone (232 K, 34 BB in his 233.2 IP over the last two seasons) is sure to appeal to other clubs, though the Yanks have were reluctant to include him a deal for Haren. Andrew Brackman has value because he has upside and is getting closer to the big leagues by the day, plus he’s pretty much answered any questions about his health. Dellin Betances is a notch behind him because he’s still in A-ball and has yet to pitch a full, healthy season. David Phelps, Adam Warren, Zach McAllister … those guys have limited ceilings and aren’t as much of a sure thing as either Nova or Noesi.

So what do you all think, am I missing someone? Is my order out of whack? I’m curious to see how the masses value the team’s players in trades.

Categories : Trade Deadline

1. Thomas says:

I’d say Gary Sanchez’s trade value is very high, possibly above Nova, as a toolsy catcher despite his young age.

2. I agree with you that Nova’s trade value is higher than 1.5M, with a caveat: His value is probably somewhere around 2.5M to an NL team and 0.5M to an AL team. JMHO.

I doubt the Angels or Rangers would be very interested in Ivan Nova, but I bet the Padres or Diamondbacks would, if you catch my drift.

3. Total Dominication says:

Wouldn’t Heathcott and Sanchez rank above Nova?

4. I wonder if Eduardo Nuñez has joined that next grouping of five.

1. Montero
    2. Gardner
    3. Joba
    4. Romine
    5. Nova
    6. Sanchez
    7. Noesi
    8. Adams
    9. Nuñez
    10. McAllister

• Or, taking Steve O’s suggestion and eliminating Sanchez since he’s not a trade chip:

1. Montero
      2. Gardner
      3. Joba
      4. Romine
      5. Nova
      6. Noesi
      7. Adams
      8. Nuñez
      9. McAllister
      10. Laird?

• Steve O. says:

This looks right. I have a question though: Is Laird projected to stay at third? Or atleast be below average? I believe he is, but if teams don’t see him as that, then that seriously deflates his value.

• Thomas says:

Nunez might even be ahead of Adams, based on the fact the Mariners preferred him to Adams and the Yankees preferred to trade Adams over him. Of course this is only two teams.

• Captain Jack says:

As far as players that the Yankees are likely to trade? I’d go Joba, Nova, Noesi, Adams, Nunez, Joesph, Laird, and McAllister.

• Steve O. says:

I would agree with you on Nuñez, if only because he’s a SS who’s decent with the stick.

• Total Dominication says:

Heathcott?

• I’m going with the comments of Steve H and Steve O and leaving them both off the list.

Guys lower than Trenton — even those with ridiculous upside — probably aren’t trade chips just because we’re not ready, as an organization, to move them yet. So Slade, El Maquinito, Cito Bashton, Jose Ramirez, ManBan, etc. don’t make these lists because they’re quasi-untouchable.

• Thomas says:

Of course, to play devil’s advocate, Arodys Vizciano was the center piece to the Vazquez trade.

I’d say the guys in the lower minors (A+ or lower) who didn’t cost the team a significant amount of money recently (e.g. Sanchez and Heathcott) are probably off limits. However, guys that may have been cheaper (e.g. Gaston) would be more likely to be traded in a fair deal.

• True, good point. I think the Braves are a bit of an outlier, though; they seem to prioritize super-young hurlers and have the patience to wait them out.

I don’t know if other teams would have moved a pitcher as good as Javy Vazquez just for Arodys’s lottery ticket.

• Steve O. says:

Counter-argument: The organization viewed Vizcaino and Ramirez as essentially the same prospect. They were willing to part with one to fill a need and they did.

I’d say that was the exception to the rule, rather than the rule.

• K.B.D. says:

The same prospect? Vizcaino was younger and competed in a tougher league than Ramirez in 2009 with great results. I would find it hard to believe the Yankees thought them equals. It’s more reasonable to say they the Yankees knew they had something in Ramirez and it would soften the blow of losing Arodys.

TLDR: Given the option, I believe they would have traded Ramirez instead of Vizcaino.

5. B-Rando says:

Outside of Nova, I’d hate to see any of those guys moved. It seems like a big flux of talent like that combined with the guys we currently have could have the makings of another great Yankee team in the near-ish future.

6. nsalem says:

I think many teams would trade for David Robertson as their set up man right now. Sincerely One of The Masses

• Roy says:

Robertson would have to be considered unavailable until the offseason. The Yankees want to have two people who are equally reliable in the seventh and eighth. Right now, they only have one – Robertson. So he’s not going anywhere.

7. yankthemike says:

from time to time lately the thought that cash might trade Gardner while his value is riding high has crossed my mind. And when it does my emotions run from rage to sadness. ( typical fan over-reaction-i know). But what IF BG really has the potential to keep growing as an MLB OF? we can look at his assists this year- previously he had been labeled as a guy with a poor arm, not damon bad, but not an asset. Now it seems he at least has the potential to keep getting better with his throwing strength and more importantly with his accuracy. He only has had one “melky-moment” of throwing to the wrong base this year if my memory serves.
    he still is at the top of the list as far as pitches per PA in the league. high contact rate. I’d rather see him in our OF over the next 5 years than a possibly declining Crawford.

• I think Gardner might be a bit closer to Hughes/Cano territory of “We’ll listen, but you’re going to have to bowl us over” than this post conveys.

Because Gardner’s production levels, both offensively and defensively, keeps us from having to spend big bucks on a FA replacement, it means he has tremendous value to us.

• Steve O. says:

This.

The more I thought about it, the more I didn’t like it. Paying Gardner roughly 400,000 while giving the Yankees almost the same value as, say, Carl Crawford, is incredibly valuable. It saves them North of ten million, which can be spent elsewhere.

Further, I doubt his value will decrease heavily even as his salary spikes during arbitration.

8. Regis says:

Kei Igawa didn’t make the list??

9. Steve H says:

That’s a good sign about the state of the organization. In the past you might have had trouble coming up with 5 guys, now it’s probably of keeping guys off the list.

10. Total Dominication says:

Gardy’s gonna net 16.5 mil in arb?

11. Steve H says:

I think Gardner in normal circumstances might be a little more availble, but he’s worth a ton to this Yankees team. He, to me, is the key to getting Cliff Lee. If you trade Gardner, not only would you have to replace him this year, but also in the offseason which could mean Crawford or Werth. At that point Lee is a pipedream.

The only thing that would make sense would be trading Gardner for another young, cost controlled OF……which doesn’t really make sense.

• Roy says:

I think that Cliff Lee is quite off the market this year. He is on a first place contender. In the offseason he is a free agent. So how do you inject Gardner into a Cliff Lee conversation on July 28?

• Alan says:

I believe the point he’s making isn’t that we can still trade for him with BG as a chip, but that the money saved makes Lee more viable in the offseason. Less money spent on his spot, more on Lee. And only one need to fill, rather than 2.

12. j_Yankees says:

Jim Bowden talking Adam Dunn stuff on twitter. White Sox, Rays, Yankees in the mix for him.

What are we talking about for Dunn? what guys on that list are we talking about? cause i really don’t know where to start.

13. nsalem says:

True and a team is going to give Crawford nearly 100 million dollar
    for the next 5 or 6 years. If Gardner continues on this path he will be at worst, close to Crawford at a substantially cheaper price. Which also makes him a great trade chip.

14. Is Betances and his high-ceiling make him a worthy trade chip? Not saying I’d move him, but I’m not necessarily sure that he’s in the Sanchez/Heathcott territory of not being available at all.

15. ADam says:

Kei Igawa is mysteriously missing?????

16. Dan says:

I would hate to see Gardner moved. Crawford would be a decent replacement but overpaying for a guy with speed on the wrong side of 30 is a bad idea. Especially if the Yanks can get Werth and have an of/dh split with Garnder, Granderson, Swisher, and Werth. That to me is ideal, even with Werth being a tad older. As for the pitchers, any of them can be moved really as I see their value more as trade chips. I know the pen needs help but most of the upper prospects are starters that would be blocked in the majors. If Lee, is signed, and Pettite or Javy comes back, the Yanks have 5 guys.

• pat says:

I’d rather sign Lee, let Werth go somewhere else, and let Montero/Posada split C/DH duties.

• Mattchu12 says:

That.

• Mattchu12 says:

In fact, That Now.

I don’t get this whole “don’t let Montero catch in the middle of a race” thing I keep hearing. Let him and Posada split catching and DH duties now.

• Dirty Pena says:

I don’t think it’s “don’t let Montero catch in the middle of a race” as much as “Montero is extremely young and there’s a good chance he’s not ready to be a major league hitter and it’s almost definite he’s not ready to be a major league catcher.”

• Mattchu12 says:

If that was the case, I would understand, bt I have heard the other quote more than just a couple times. And even so, I’m of the belief that Montero would benefit more defensively from working Tony Pena than playing everyday at Triple-A right now.

• t says:

Completely agree. Lee needs to be the priority in the offseason. Instead of overpaying for Crawford we can just keep Gardy who is putting up comparable numbers. Crawford isn’t that much better to warrant the drastic salary increase. Use that money for something else like a solid reliever.

17. pat says:

I’d trade all of these guys to the Red Sox for 5 minutes of Casey Kelly in a Yankees uniform. Then we could have a glimpse of what true greatness looks like in pinstripes..

18. vinny-b says:

Nunez needs to be on this list.

AAA shortstops who hit .300 and field their position well, are very valuable.

• Steve O. says:

You’re right in that he’s valuable, but more valuable than these guys? No. A case can be made for 5th, but he’s more in the six to ten range.

• billbybob says:

Good point. And regarding Nunez, how is he that much different than Alcides Escobar? They have similar offensive numbers in the minors at similar ages. Escobar was supposed to be very good defensively but supposedly Nunez has improved this year. Escobar was rated in the top 20 on almost every prospect list I saw prior to the season.

• Not quite.

In their age 21 seasons, Nuñez was still in Hi-A hitting .271/.305/.383 while Escobar was in AA hitting .328/.363/.434. The next year, Nuñez moved to AA and hit .322/.349/.433 while Escobar moved to AAA and hit .298/.353/.409. And Escobar’s glove is considered better.

Nuñez is closing the gap, but Escobar put up equal or better numbers at higher levels at similar ages. I can see why his prospect star shines brighter.

• Angelo says:

Escobar is a much better defender and he was younger by a year at every level. And I believe Escobar is faster and better at stealing bases.

Escobar is 23 in the majors
        Nunez is 23 in the minors.

A year of developement means a lot more than you’re giving it credit for. It improves Escobar’s projection, while it decreases Nunez’s projection as a player.

• billbybob says:

Definitely didn’t look at stolen bases, so good point. And Nunez has been one level behind Escobar to this point as well. I just seems like Escobar got a ton of hype, while it doesn’t seem like there is any for Nunez. If Nunez’s defense really has improved he could be an extremely valuble trade chip imo.

• K.B.D. says:

“And I believe Escobar is faster and better at stealing bases.”

Not really. Escobar has 17 steals in 4 seasons in the majors. I have to believe Nunez (20 steals just this season at AAA) would eclipse that mark rather quickly given steady playing time.

• Angelo says:

In the minors:

Escobar: 176 Stolen bases, 2822 PA’s

Nunez: 110 Stolen bases, 2698 PA’s

I would imagine the minors are a bit different than the majors when it comes to stealing bases. Plus they are playing at different levels. Naturally Escobar would have more trouble getting on base because he’s playing in MLB (decreases his chances at stealing bases), while Nunez is playing in Triple-A (increases his chances because of competition level, pitching isn’t as good, etc.)

• Angelo says:

Not really. Escobar has 17 steals in 4 seasons in the majors.

4 seasons? No, not really.

Escobar, 2008: 9 games in MLB
            Escobar, 2009: 38 games in MLB
            Escobar, 2010: 93 games in MLB

• K.B.D. says:

Nunez won’t field his position well, though. His arm is his best tool, but his range and hands are below average. He’d probably be lucky to provide average defense.

19. Ed says:

I can’t see Joba getting those salaries in arbitration. He’s going to be treated as a middle reliever. Look at a guy like Broxton – he got $1.8M, $4M, $7M for his arb years. His numbers are better than Joba’s (2007 excluded), he had some closing experience before arbitration, and he doesn’t have any down years.

20. Dan says:

I could see Montero as a DH type but I think next year is too quick. The kid is only 20 and while I know there are 20 year olds who have had success in the bigs, I don’t see Montero as one for some reason. I would love to see Werth though as he has a very O’Neil like quality to me. A good player who would be a great Yankee.

21. The Yankees’ top five trade chips
    By tommiesmithjohncarlos a/k/a Ridiculous Upside the Elder

1.) Eric Wordekemper
    2.) Jeff Fortenberry
    3.) The Sanitary Napkin
    4.) Duffman
    5.) Chad Ho Moseley

22. “I’m sure the Yankees would move Robbie Cano or Phil Hughes in the right deal, but the odds that right deal comes along are very slim.”

I know it was a hypothetical, but at this point in time I can’t think of anyone I would trae Cano for that would make the Yankees a better team. In the offseason probably, but right now, I’m not sure.

• Total Dominication says:

Longoria and Strasburg come to mind, but not a whole lot else.

• At this point I don’t know if that makes the team better for this year. You’d play Ramiro Pena at 2B, Longoria at 3rd and move A-Rod to DH? I think that without a clear replacement at 2B Cano is more valuable than almost anyone. I would say Utley, but he’s hurt.

• Steve O. says:

If I’m going to trade Cano for anyone, it’s going to be the guys on this list.:

• Total Dominication says:

One of those guys is not like the others.

• Yup. It’s Pedroia. Have those other scrubs ever singlehandedly carried their team to a World Series title? No, they haven’t.

The LazerShow >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else, ever. #5 is an insult, he should be #1. Would that pussy-ass Evan Longoria have been taking grounders less than 24 hours after breaking every bone in his body and lacerating his internal organs? Fuck no, he wouldn’t have.

2010 Trade Value Chart, revised:
          1.) Pedroia
          2.) Kelly
          3.) Kelly
          4.) Youkilis
          5.) Lester
          6.) Kelly
          7.) Anthony Rizzo
          8.) Papelbon
          9.) Strasburg
          10.) Oil Can Boyd

• Angelo says:

I would never trade Cano for Pedroia.

Fenway definitely boosts his stats. No way. He’s good, but:

Cano >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pedroia

• JoeC says:

Pedrioa also has a busted foot. I guess the injury is more serious than originally thought too.

• Steve O. says:

Pedroia is a very good player with a team friendly deal better than Cano’s. A case can be made for who’s better. Since ’07 Pedroia’s WAR: 3.8, 6.6, 5.0, 3.4. Cano’s: 4.7, .20, 4.6, 4.8.

It’s closer to a wash than it seems. Add in the contract and that’s what makes him have the higher value.

I don’t like to defend him, but it is what it is.

• Angelo says:

Yes, I know the stats. And I defended Pedroia here the other day, BUT you aren’t considering the fact that he plays in Fenway park, which boosts his offensive value. He has large splits at home and away from home.

Basically, his numbers wouldn’t be as good if he didn’t play for the Redsox, thus decreasing his WAR.

On top of the fact that Cano is getting better.

The only thing I’d consider is Pedroia’s contract, but as players, I’d take Cano every time.

• Steve O. says:

WAR adjusts for park factors. With the combination of contract, and skills, I would take Pedroia.

Now, just players themselves, I would take Cano. But an argument could be made for Pedroia just as well as Cano (see above).

• Joe says:

WAR adjusts for a general park factor, not a flyball deadpull hitter who gets maximum value from playing in that park (look at his career home/road double splits). The park factor is an aggregate… Pedroia gets more than the average hitter’s boost from the park based on his swing and hitting style.

I’d haven’t run #’s but even with a park factor adjustment, the offensive component of WAR is still probably inflated for him.

Also you have to be careful as to what defensive metrics are going into WAR (are they 1 year UZR #’s which are highly variable? Runs saved? 3 year UZR or some other form of regression?). You could go to 2-3 different sites and come up 2-3 different WAR #’s for the same player.

23. JoeC says:

I’d have a real hard time trading Gardner. He’s young, cheap, and productive, and the Yankees don’t have enough of those guys. Only way I’d do it is if another team was offering a Superstar in their prime. Off the top of my head a Gardner, Montero, Joba for Greinke, Soria, Guillen sorta seems justifiable, but KC probably doesn’t do that trade anyway.

• Off the top of my head a Gardner, Montero, Joba for Greinke, Soria, Guillen sorta seems justifiable,

(throws up all over self)

• Frank the Yank says:

Keep Gardner, forget Crawford, get Dunn and Soria if possible, focus on Lee in the off season. Greinke has stress issues pitching in KC. NY would kill him, it would be another Ed Whitson.

• JoeC says:

Grienke could always live in the suburbs and commute if the NYC was too much for him. Anyway, I was mostly just trying to come up with a scenario that would make some sense in trading Gardner. I’d personally stick him in Center for the next five years and forget about it

• Total Dominication says:

No fucking way.

• JoeC says:

Again, I’m endorsing a trade like that, but would you guys really be that against adding players like Grienke and Soria if it meant giving up Gardner and Montero? The Yankees would almost be too good if they added those guys.

• K.B.D. says:

The money is ridiculously uneven in this exchange. Montero/Joba/Gardner have 12 collective seasons of cheap play. Greinke and Soria are very good, but also have a lot more money coming their way.

• Chris says:

Honestly, if you took Guillen out of the deal, I’d probably be willing to do it. Basically you’re trading Montero + Gardner for Greinke (signed for 2/$27 after this year) and Joba for Soria ($4M next year, and options through 2014). The Yankees would lose slightly on the Greinke side but win on the Soria side.

24. Ross in Jersey says:

Honorable mention for D-Rob?

25. larryf says:

Gotta keep Gardner for all the reasons stated. Based on the 2 photos showing Grit’s hitting mechanics and Joba’s pitching mechanics I’d get rid of both of them or, alternatively, if they can be coached to better mechanics, imagine the upsides!

26. MatUK says:

What about Cervelli?

27. Total Dominication says:

SInce we’re talking trade chips, do people agree with the fangraphs thing about the best and worst trade chips that a-rod is the most un-tradeable (bad) player in baseball with his contract? I don’t know, I much prefer having him then Wells or Soriano.

28. JB in Manhattan says:

What about the bench guys? Pena, Curtis, etc.? Trade?

29. nsalem says:

If we get Dunn a)what happens to Posada considering he prbably can’t catch more than half of his games. b)are you thinking of resigning Dunn or is he just a rental. c)what would Posada’s reaction be to becoming a part time player.

• Steve O. says:

A. Posada will need rest twice a week, just like every other catcher.
      B. It depends on his demands. If he’s looking for a “Ryan Howard” type deal, then he walks.
      C. He will not be a part time player. Cervelli will just be benched more often, thankfully.

• Ross in Jersey says:

I’ll preface this by saying that the cost for Dunn, who is no more than a rental at this point, seems outrageously high. I think the chances of the Yankees getting him rank somewhere between “never” and “when hell freezes over”.

Anyway,

a) Posada still catches a lot of games, ane he’ll be in there every day down the stretch unless he’s hurt. I don’t think there’d be much conflict.

b) He’s talking about wanting a 4 year 60 million dollar deal, and I think that’s out of the Yankees budget.

c) Probably would take it negatively, but he’d have to realize if Dunn came here he’d be the DH every day.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I’m sure Big George with enjoy the rink time.

/Space Man’d

• Steve O. says:

There’s less expensive DH’s on the market, with more versatility and near production. We all know Cash values versatility.

• steveospeak says:

What player on the open market offers anywhere close to similar production for less cost?the next closest hitter is probably willingham….rental players who are good cost quality prospects…meaning above the value of Nova. (It might mean 2-3 guys on that level but it is going to cost something

30. phughesisgod says:

If the Yankees trade Montero and Gardner I will not be a happy camper. There is nothing the Yankees need that would justify trading them. 1 or 2 relievers and 1 or 2 bench bats is not something that trading Montero and/or Gardner is justifiable for.

Forget getting Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth in the off season, the OF will be fine. If there is something we need this offseason, it will be pitching as Pettitte and Mo(theres a scary thought) are probably likely to retire.

31. Sleepykarl says:

I kinda hope they pick up League from the M’s. I’ve always liked the guy (based off his stuff, not logically looking at his stats).

32. Chris says:

I didn’t read through all of the comments but has anyone mentioned Manny Banuelos? Although I would hate to see him go, he has been dominating this year and I’m sure he would draw some pretty good interest.

33. prime says:

I don’t think I would trade Cano for any other position player in baseball. Longoria is good and has a good contract, but the Yankees are locked at 1B, SS and 3B for years and they’ll need the rotating DH or may have a permanent one there (Montero, Dunn, etc). I also can’t think of an OF that is worth so much extra it would justify losing Cano and bumping Gardner/Granderson/Swisher from their spot. In terms of a catcher, I’d rather keep Cano and try Montero/Romine than pay Mauer $20MM as he breaks down. That leaves 2B. Cano and Pedrioa have very similar stats, but as has been mentioned, Cano has nearly even home/road splits and Pedrioa is heavily favored toward Fenway, wheras Cano you have a lefty in NYS. Ultey is great, but is 4 years older and coming off an injury (plus he’s not as good when CC isn’t pitching to him). Cano’s current numbers are on par. Cano for Pujols straight up would be hard to turn down, but if he stays healthy, Cano can give you 2000+ hits, 250+ HRs and nearly 1000 RBIs while playing premium defense at 2B with a great arm over next 10 years.

34. tomaconda says:

All these posts and not one person mentions or best prospect who is very close to dominating not only major league hitters but also mechanical bulls everywhere. Melvin C is da bomb.

Right’d

35. Kevin Ocala, Fl says:

uh, some of you guys really need a beer. How about Brandon Laird? I know that there is a buzz building around him…maybe Yanks are talking him up for bait.

36. nycsportzfan says:

Its Beyond Bewildering, why you don’t have Manny Banuelos as one of the 5 top trade chips, this kids had his name and Whitey Ford’s mentioned in the same sentence, talking about “poise”, and hes a lefty, who has great control, and i see a potential number 2starter in him, and a dandy one at that..

Jesus Montero
    Manny Banuelos
    Austin Romine/Gary Sanchez
    Brett Gardner
    Dellin Betances/Ivan Nova

HON Mention- Andrew Brackman, Slade Heathcott…