Jul

Yankees interested in Ty Wigginton

Via MLBTR, the Yankees have expressed interest in trading for Ty Wigginton to serve as a reserve. I wrote all about the possibility of acquiring Wigginton a little over a week ago, so I suggest going there for a comprehensive breakdown. What’s worth repeating is that the Orioles are looking for a young shortstop in return for the free-agent-to-be, and the Yanks have a trio in Ramiro Pena, Eduardo Nunez, and Reegie Corona. They clearly need to upgrade the bench, and if nothing else, Wigginton is an (expensive) upgrade over Pena.

1. bexarama says:

I wouldn’t mind Wigginton at all, but I don’t think they’d trade him for just Pena. That’d be kinda nice, though…

2. Cecala says:

Pena and throw in The Ghost of Kei Igawa

3. Mattchu12 says:

I dunno about acquiring Wigginton. I mean, yes, he does offer a better bat and can play third base when we have A-Rod at DH. But Pena can play all four infield positions with plus defense, and play the outfield and catcher in a pinch. He can also come off the bench as a pinch runner. With Posada needing to play DH more and more all the time, I like having someone that can be an emergency catcher.

Wigginton is a good player, but with what it will cost to acquire him, I’d rather keep Pena.

• forensicnucchem says:

Your emergency catcher is basically any guy on your bench who you don’t really care if he gets hurt or not if it comes down to it. So, it falls to the next guy out there since there are several of them on the bench.

His defense, though I’m sure not terrible, is mixed in it’s ratings by UZR and stuff in the short time frames. Wigginton’s offense at DH vs. Cervelli’s offense at C would be an immense upgrade, far outdoing the loss of Pena’s offense.

Plus, you’ll probably want it even more when they start playing Thames everyday when he’s healthy again. That’s going to be entertaining.

• Mattchu12 says:

Pena actually does catching drills with Tony Pena and warms up pitchers in the bullpen, he isn’t just some dude that doesn’t care about getting hurt. But that it was hardly my point to keep him around because he can be the emergency catcher, it was more his flexibility vs Wigginton’s.

I wasn’t talking about moving Posada to DH because I want Cervelli to play more, it’s because it is taking more and more of a toll on Posada…It’s a health of Posada thing, not a “I want Cervelli in the lineup more” thing.

Wigginton batted .209 with one home run and ten RBI over June. He is totally crashing back to Earth from his hot start. Not that Thames is so much better, but I don’t think the Orioles are going to be giving up Wigginton for just Pena. Probably not just Nunez either.

My whole point was that what it’s going to cost isn’t worth acquiring him. Pena is good enough for what we need him for. But as usual, that’s just my opinion.

4. The Evil Empire (The original) -Burnett is still way overrated. says:

Ty would be AWESOME in the bench

5. Scout says:

They’ll want Nunez, who at least seems to have the potential to be an average regular in the majors; Pena has very little value, since his weak bat has become very evident to all. But other teams may also want Nunez, so the Yankees will need to decide whether to deal him for a bat or a bullpen arm.

6. Bret says:

Again, I don’t see this working. Wiggington was mad last year when he wasn’t playing everyday, I guess he could DH and keep Cervelli on the bench where he belongs but that assumes Posada can stay healthy. No way the O’s settle for Ramiro Pena, he doesn’t belong in the big leagues and the O’s have a great field no hit shortstop already. The Phillies seem like the best fit for Wiggingon, they need a 2nd baseman and a third baseman for the next couple months.

7. Dela G says:

dont do it unless the orioles DONT ask for the moon, which they would

8. dan g. says:

why not bring up nunez?

• whozat says:

Because Wigginton is a superior hitter to Nunez. Nunez and Russo are basically the same, except Russo has played in the OF.

• Joe says:

nunez and russo are basically the same? did russo lead the IL with hits last year? I don’t think so. I agree Wigginton is a better hitter but I wouldn’t give up much for him. try nunez first. better hitter than people think he is.

9. bonestock94 says:

Would love it, as long as it entails trading someone who, A. I recognize as a mediocre player, or B. I’ve never heard of.

10. GG2010 says:

Ok fine, we’ll give ‘em Angelini!

11. mike c says:

i’d rather sign jermaine dye than wiggy

12. Joe says:

bring up eduardo

• Andrew518 says:

I’ll shoot down my argument before I make it by admiting that he probably would have signed elsewhere for more playing time but I wish the Yankees would have put more effort into signing E Hinskie in the off season. Hinskie=trip to world series

to the present problem

just not that many good options out there take Wiggington if you can get him cheap but I’m not sure he’s good enough to give up much

13. Wigginton is the definition of meh and becomes worse than that if you factor in defense. His numbers have been falling back in line with what you expect out of him since mid-May.

14. mgd says:

Don’t trade for wig
    When you replace curtis and collins with thames and miranda your bench is fine

Thames should dh against all lefties
    Never put him in the field

Pena can’t hit, but can play anywhere and pinch run

With gardner in the starting lineup you need the pinch runner in the playoffs, we have other options (golson) but they are all outfielders

Combining you utility inf with you pinch runner allows you mor hitting options on the bench

15. Jackson 44 says:

I wouldn’t be so quick to give up on Pena. He can fill in at 3B, SS and 2B and until we get another guy who can do that, we need him to fill the utility role. I say, if you want to upgrade the offense, add a DH like an Adam Dunn or like we’re talking about Ty Wiggy is a solid hitter.

Maybe trade Brandon Laird for Dunn? They could at least make the a 1B. We have no spot for him.