Jul

Yanks have kicked the tires on Bloomquist, out on Dunn

Update (4:00 p.m.): In what must be a cruel and horrible joke, Jerry Crasnick reports that the Yankees have checked in on Royals’ utility player Willie Bloomquist. I know the Yanks need bench help, but that’s no reason to go out and trade for one of the worst players in baseball. The 32-year-old is a career .298 wOBA hitter, but has managed to underperform that with a .294 wOBA this year. There’s also another $1.05M left on his contract through the end of the season. Bloomquist is definitely versatile, with a ton of experience at every position but pitcher and catcher. Still, the guy stinks (0.0 WAR, woo!). I’d rather see Eduardo Nunez get a shot.

Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal says the Yanks are now out on Adam Dunn, and Joel Sherman explains why. Basically, the Yanks are worried about how Dunn does not want to DH, would have to adjust to a new league and a pennant race and carries an extremely high asking price. For similar reasons, the Rays are reportedly out of the running as well. Of course, based on how these things have gone so far, I expect the introductory press conference to be no later than Saturday morning.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. A.D. says:

I’d rather see Eduardo Nunez get a shot.

For Mike to say that, you must hate the Bloomquist idea.

2. “Based on how these things have gone so far, I expect the introductory press conference to be no later than Saturday morning.”

You beat me to the punch. I was going to say something very similar to this.

3. Brian N. says:

thats bs dunn would be perfect.

4. Matt DiBari says:

I’m trying to figure out if this is better or worse than the Wes Helms rumors.

5. B-Rando says:

*face palm* – cmon cash, we don’t need Bloomquist!

And i’m also in full agreement on the Dunn introductory press conference taking place no later than saturday morning.

6. Zanath says:

I wasn’t aware they were ever in on Dunn.

7. bonestock94 says:

Do the Astros have anything desirable, they’re obviously easy marks if Amaro can outsmart them.

8. Joeytime says:

I say just bite the bullet and meet the Nats half way on Dunn,, this is the kind of guy who will hit some big hrs down the stretch and more importantly in the postseason!

9. Pete says:

Ew. Joe Girardi would be a better bench option than Willie Bloomquist.

10. Meat Loaf says:

I want Adam Dunn. I have wanted Adam Dunn for three years now. Please get me Adam Dunn, ninja Cashman. Thank you.

And Cito hit his first HR today. Good times.

• I want Adam Dunn too. What I don’t want is to pay the cost in prospects it would take to get Adam Dunn.

The Miranda/Thames/ARod/Posada DH hydra for three more months + good prospects >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Adam Dunn for three more months – good prospects

• Meat Loaf says:

I won’t argue with you there, but I thought he was more than affordable before he signed with the Nats, and I was pissed we didn’t beat their offer.

• radnom says:

Yeah, except we signed Tex instead.

Can’t be mad about that.

• mikebk says:

yea i wanted him when he was a FA but we had matsui plugging the full time DH spot then. if he had been one last summer maybe we go that way instead of Nick Johnson, but timing matters.

11. Gonzo says:

I can’t see Bloomquist as a July trade deadline guy. He might be someone the Yanks would look at in August if certain things happened (like the infields of AAA, AA & A+ went on strike).

That being said, I imagine that the White Sox would offer a better package for Dunn than the Yankees. This is getting a little ridiculous. I guess everyone needs a reminder now and then why depth is important.

12. Perhaps Crasnik was speaking literally and not metaphorically, and a Yankee executive actually flew to Willie Bloomquist’s home and kicked the actual tires on one of his automobiles.

I’m hoping it’s just that.

13. Steve H says:

I want Dunn but not at the expected cost. I’ve been advocating for Delgado for a while. If he’s healthy great. If not go with Miranda/Thames platoon. The DH position will not make or break this team.

14. j_Yankees says:

::awaits one of the writers to say Yankees are close on Dunn::

15. V says:

I hope ‘kicked the tires on Bloomquist’ means ‘We’ll take Bloomquist, but you have to give us Soria, also’.

16. RR says:

Willie Bloomquist.

Is it April 1 already?

17. forensicnucchem says:

I agree Bloomquist sucks, but that 0.0 WAR is still better than Pena, his hitting line is better than Pena, and he is more versatile than Pena, possibly allowing us to avoid the thrill of Thames in the OF on those rare days. If it costs next to nothing, then go for it if it means Pena goes back down.

18. Pat D says:

Olney just had one of this patented six-message Tweets (and yet, didn’t use “Heard This”) where he said he felt the Yankees and Rays are still hovering around Dunn and wouldn’t consider them “out.”

• Zanath says:

His long tweets are epic. As for Dunn, I would truly consider him a luxury, and I wouldn’t give up a lot to get him. I’m also not sure how he’d adjust to being a DH, and I know he has stated an aversion to that kind of role. White Sox are apparently out of the Dunn sweepstakes, for what it’s worth.

19. JoeC says:

I’d rather see the Yankees try a three man infield than trade for Bloomquist

20. Jay says:

The Yankees need the bridge to Mariano Rivera. Joba has been awful out of the pen this year, and Robertson is streaky. I know that over a few years, Joba will be a good if not great reliever, but I would prefer to have an immediate impact on the pen. Someone who fills this description is Soria. He is young and has electric stuff. The Yankees should deal Joba and Nova for him. He could possibly replace Mo when he retires also.

• steve (different one) says:

explain to me why the Royals would do this.

• Jay says:

Because they need pitching. Nova can develop into a good starter, and Joba will do the same. With their current staff, they absolutely need more, and this would give them options.

21. Poopy Pants says:

I’d rather sign Willie Aames.

22. Benjamin says:

Saw on another blog that despite the Haren trade, the Angels might be sellers after Pinero’s ribcage strain. Said Abreu and Matsui could be made available. If that ends up being true, any thoughts on bringing back Matsui for mostly full time DH? He apparently can still play a little left field if someone else needs half a game off.

• Snakes on the mother effin temple of d-day says:

No thanks. Back out his numbers against the Yanks and he stinks. Even with the numbers against the Yanks his line aint pretty, or materially different from the multi-DH we use now.

• Mattchu12 says:

I’d take him for the right price, which isn’t much. Worse come to worse, he’d be a pretty damn good platoon if paired with Marcus Thames. Look at Godzilla’s stats vs righties, you put him with Thames’ mashing of lefties, you’d be pretty happy with that platoon.

23. Cliff says:

Berkman deals are being discussed. Should not take much to get him.

24. mikebk says:

if the yanks are out on dunn and now that the stros got wallace from toronto to be their 1b of the future, how long til the berkman to the yanks rumors start?

25. mikebk says:

“The Rays are the favorites to acquire Dunn, according to one executive who spoke to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The Giants are the only other team Sherman hears in connection to Dunn”

one minute the rays are out the next they are said to be favorites, oh the deadline. they would be really scary if they added dunn.

26. Jamie G. says:

Adam Dunn is a DH and when he realizes that he will be much better off.

27. BuyNBye says:

Put Dunn in this lineup everyday and we get 45+HR’s & 135 RBI’s a year. He only hit into 2 DP’s this year. We know what his track record is. His stats. would probably surpass anyone on the team. He is young and should have many productive years ahead. And with his YELLOWSTONE POWER, more people would come to see his at bats.

28. Jonthan says: