Aug

A-Rod hit by line drive in batting practice

Update Part Deux; The x-rays came back negative. And exhale.

Update: Alex is out of the lineup, Ramiro Pena takes his place. The initial diagnosis is a lower left leg contusion, and he’s off to get x-rays. Sigh.

Alex Rodriguez limped off the field during the batting practice this afternoon after taking a Lance Berkman line drive to his shin. He was able to walk off the field under his own power, but obviously this is a concern. No update yet, but stay tuned.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Ross in Jersey says:

Is it really smart to have guys taking fielding practice on the infield during BP, not paying attention? Can’t say I understand that at all.

• rbizzler says:

Every team does this at every level of baseball form HS on up.

• VO says:

I don’t think he is questioning why A-Rod was out there, more why he wasn’t paying attention.

• rbizzler says:

It is BP, it is not the most intense activity in the world. Instead of being reactionary, one could just chalk this mishap up o an accident. Because, you know, those things happen.

And where does it say that Alex ‘wasn’t paying attention’?

• Ross in Jersey says:

@Joelsherman1 A-Rod was taking grounders at 3b, didn’t see Berkman smash coming, reeled to protective screen behind second base

That doesn’t sound like “paying attention” to me.

• rbizzler says:

It also doesn’t sound like he wasn’t paying attention. The dude got hit in BP, it happens. Let’s not overreact here.

• Ross in Jersey says:

When I played in HS you ALWAYS paid attention when someone was taking hacks. If you were doing side drills that demanded your attention, you did them in the OF or off the field.

• Chris in Pa says:

I agree. Back in 1998 I saw a Yankee game in Philly. Mel Stottlemyre took one of of the head. It was the most horrific thing I ever witnessed. You think we would see more of that.

2. Hughesus Christo says:

GREAT PICKUP, CASHMAN

/whysoserious

3. bexarama says:

%*$)(^8098640(Tt094609wt6.

Poor Berkman too, this isn’t going to help.

• VO says:

Yea if A-Rod goes down with an injury because of this, I can only imagine how bad the irrational fans would act. Putting aside that fact that A-Rod got hit by not paying attention.

4. VO says:

Berkman obviously hates NY so much as to try and single handedly try and take it down.

5. Zooboy says:

Red Sox injury bug is contagious. Ug.

6. forensicnucchem says:

Geez, Berkman can’t even ‘hit it where they ain’t’ during batting practice…

7. j_Yankees says:

Berkman’s starting to hit the ball well.

/kidding

8. boogie down says:

At least Lance hit a line drive!

/tryingtoputapositivespinonthings(?)’d

9. VO says:

The reports are it was the hardest hit ball hit by Berkman as a Yankee. In that case this may not be serious at all.
    /kidding

10. BklynJT says:

Move for the sake of making moves. Did anyone really think berkman and kearns would be of any help on this team. Should of just resigned hinske this year, at least he brings good luck. Yet cervelli is still getting opportunities behind the plate

11. Zooboy says:

How happy is Cervelli that it wasn’t he who hit the ball that struck A-Rod?

12. Not Tank the Frank says:

BERKMAAAAAANNN!!!

*shakes fist*

13. UncleArgyle says:

So not only is Dead Elvis killing us with his lack of hitting ability, now he’s taking out other players. great.

14. Slappy White says:

Maybe Berkman should sit it out today. This can only make him more uncomfortable. Do we have a lineup yet ?……….On the brighter side “Big Game James ” is getting lit up in Toronto

15. Poopy Pants says:

I knew something was up when the camera showed Berkman rolling his eyes after Cano’s big HR last weekend. The camera was on Gardner in the dugout doing a ‘classy Yankee-way’ dancing around and pointing fingers, but you could also see Berkman rolling his eyes and frowing behind him. Pretty awkward.

• Slappy White says:

I have noticed he makes some weird faces. Definitely not a Pretty Boy

• rbizzler says:

Huh? Are you implying that Berkman hi Alex with a liner in BP on purpose or is this a joke?

• Poopy Pants says:

Making the connection between the two is joke.
        But I really did see him rolling his eyes during Gardner’s ‘classy’ dugout celebration after Cano’s HR. It was strange.

16. Zack says:

If ARod went out there and took groundballs on his knees, would that be classified as gritty or being a fraud infront of his teammates?

17. Gonzo says:

Why is everyone so worried. If I bang my shin on an end table, I can’t walk for 5 minutes. I am totally fine 10 minutes later though. I am sure it was worse than that, but my point is that it didn’t sound like there is a DL stint in there. Am I missing something?

• Not Tank the Frank says:

You don’t make $30 million a season and hit cleanup. If A-Rod has a toe cramp during sex with Cammy Diaz, I’m worried.

• All Star Carl says:

Ball coming off the bat at 100 mph smashing against your shin? You’re comparing it to banging it against a coffee table?

• Gonzo says:

I did say it was obviously worse than that. However, he walked off under his own power. Like I said, it doesn’t sound like a DL stint.

• Zack says:

What you missed: Walking into a table is not the same as taking a line drive off the shin

• Gonzo says:

What part of me saying it was worse than that did you miss?

• Zack says:

You still brushed it off like it was nothing- don’t be worried, I banged my shin and I was fine.

• Gonzo says:

What I said is that it didn’t sound like a DL stint. If you think that is the same thing as brushing it off, well then I brushed it off according to you.

The point of my little anectdote, is that hurting your shin may look more serious or troublesome at first because the initial pain involved is very high.

• Carlosologist says:

Well we sort of invested 32M in A-Rod, so anything that happens to him is sort of a big deal.

• Gonzo says:

These guys are professional athletes. Anything short of a DL stint shouldn’t be a huge concern is all I am saying.

I know it’s not a DL stint for certain, but like I said, it doesn’t sound like a DL stint if he walked off on his own power.

18. BigBlueAL says:

Arod now out of lineup today.

19. Ross in Jersey says:

Super, now we get Pena in the lineup. Just great.

20. pat says:

I was watching BP when it happened. It was a hard liner right off his ankle. He slammed his glove down, hobbled to the OF screen and fell down behind it. Looked bad.

21. Poopy Pants says:

I want Teix NOWHERE near the field when Granderson takes BP!

22. Kyle Litke says:

Can someone explain to me Girardi’s lineup usage of Gardner?

Here’s the thing. I understand the concept behind hitting him higher than someone like Pena/Cervelli…higher in the lineup, more at bats, behind better players who are more likely to be on base. And I understand the concept of batting him 9th behind those guys, because then Jeter is up after him and you’re trying to get a guy on in front of Jeter.

But why is Girardi so INCONSISTENT about it? Cervelli and Pena are virtually the same hitter. So why does Cervelli bat 8th with Gardner 9th, but Pena bats 9th with Gardner 8th? How does that make sense?

23. Andy says:

Fuck this is bad.

24. screwjoebuck says:

JOE BUCK-You! just confirmed that he was the culprit distracting the $290m man at third.
    The replay doesn’t look good.

On other related FOX nonsense, McCarver just proclaimed Francona the greatest BOS Manager ever.
    “Ever” is a large word.

25. PaulF says:

Marcus Thames can play 3B while Alex is out.

26. [...] getting close to a rehab appearance while Andy Pettitte will throw one early next week. A-Rod was hit in the shin by a line drive in batting practice on Saturday and had to miss that one game. Javy Vazquez is in the middle of a [...]