Aug

Andy, Nova and the plan going forward

In a brief column in The Post this morning, Joel Sherman drops in some interesting tidbits about the Yanks’ pitching plans for September. First, he notes that the Yankees are not that worried about Andy Pettitte‘s groin injury and that the lefty will be back early next month. “Pettitte is not going to have a season-ending groin injury,” Brian Cashman said to Sherman. In the meantime, Dustin Moseley, who has impressed the Yanks despite a FIP of 6.29, will continue to make starts as Pettitte heals.

Next, Sherman drops in an intriguing note: As the season dwindles down, the team plans to call up Ivan Nova to make “at least” two or three starts in order to “give increased rest to the rotation.” With Nova in the fold, the Yanks can give Hughes and Vazquez some extended rest without overtaxing Pettitte after a layoff of what will be nearly seven weeks. Nova is 12-3 with a 2.86 ERA in 23 AAA starts. He’s struck out 115 while walking 48, and although he profiles as a back-of-the-rotation guy, he’ll be just fine for a few late-season starts.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. Stephen R. says:

That’s good news about Nova. I like this idea.

2. All Praise Be To Mo says:

I agree with this move completely, I don’t know why they’re waiting until September though, games in August count just as much and we can DFA Gaudin right now, he’s useless. I get waiting until September 1st for Andy and Aceves, but bring up Nova now.

3. TERPSandYANKSfan says:

I wonder if they will call up Nova once the AAA season ends. The AAA rotation is pretty thin right now with ZMac gone and Hirsh on the DL. The rotation is currently Nova, Phelps, Pendleton, and I guess Igawa. Just curious.

4. Carlosologist says:

I wonder if they saw TSJC’s rotation plans in that one thread.

5. Not Tank the Frank says:

Cosign.

6. Mike Kramden says:

Everyone’s worried about Vasquez, Pettitte and Hughes. Burnett is the biggest problem. He needs a wakeup call. Bring up Nova now to send a message to A. J,

7. SteveD says:

I have been a bit conerned about the pitching situation( Ok, I have been in panic mode) but it sounds like they have a plan. I like it. Maybe they DO know what they are doing. As Mike has stated the AJ situation also worries me. maybe when the cash is on the line he will step up.

8. mustang says:

“although he profiles as a back-of-the-rotation guy”

He will probably be an ace. I love minor league profiles.

LOL