Aug

Eduardo Nunez is in New York

Chad Jennings hit us with a surprise this morning: Eduardo Nunez is in the clubhouse. That undoubtedly means he’ll be activated before the game. That brings into question the corresponding roster move. By all appearances Lance Berkman is headed to the disabled list. He hasn’t played since he hurt his ankle on Sunday, and his name is not listed on the lineup card as a bench player. Nunez gives the Yanks a bit more flexibility in the infield as A-Rod heals.

The good news, then, is that it’s not A-Rod to the DL. While I don’t think that putting A-Rod on the shelf for two weeks would be the worst thing, a DL move itself would be troubling considering the circumstances. At first his calf injury was not serious and that no tests were scheduled. No tests scheduled, of course, means tests were scheduled. That revealed a Grade 1 strain, which is not serious. But if they placed him on the DL it would indicate that A-Rod’s injury is a bit more severe than they’ve let on.

Berkman’s DL trip will be retroactive to Monday, so he’ll be eligible to come off the DL just as rosters expand. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Yanks give him the extra two days and activate him on the first.

Categories : Asides

1. Brad Toughy says:

Mike must be devastated.

2. j_Yankees says:

It’s ok everyone. All this means is that Cervelli is probably going to catch an extra 2 games while the Yankees can put Posada at DH.

WAHOOOOOOOO

/this was sarcastic’d

3. And yet Ramiro Effin’ Pena is still playing third today. Why is Girardi so in love with these crappy players when he now has a better option?

4. Doug says:

If ARod were healthy, think Montero may have gotten the call? Or would it have been Miranda? Or maybe they would’ve done nothing since Berkman sounds like he’s relatively close to playing.

5. nathan says:

As soon as I saw that note on LoHud I was certain it was Arod with some bad news.

Anyone still daring enough to think Arod hits 30 HRs?

6. Jay T says:

Benjamin-

Pena has played better of late and has earned the start. No offense to Nunez.

7. ABS says:

Mike is mourning somewhere, in a deep depression given that the worst prospect in the history of the Yankees is now with the team. He is sure to wreck the clubhouse with his evil kinda not great OBP and lack of 30 HR power…

8. Ross in Jersey says:

I don’t give a shit who’s playing third as long as Cervelli isn’t catching. Posada behind the dish 3 days in a row? My pants need changing.

9. Chris says:

Would Brandon Laird have been a better option? I know he’s not on the 40-Man Roster, but doesn’t he have to be placed on it in the off-season anyway to protect him from the Rule 5?

Or maybe Kevin Russo?

I know it doesn’t really matter. None of these players would make or break the Yankees season, but I’m just curious.

• pat says:

Cash haaates cutting a guy loose until it’s absolutely necessary. That means he’ll hold onto Gaudin and WDLR and the rest of the fringe guys for as long as possible. Laird would need to take one of their spots on the 40 man.

10. Cy Pettitte says:

in order of strongest possibilities for Nunez getting a spot

1. Berkman DL
    2. Gaudin DFA
    3. Arod DL

imo

11. Berkman’s been DL’d, Chad Jennings says.

12. Esteban says:

• Cy Pettitte says:

so they can pinch hit for Pena and not have Cervelli or Thames as third base?

• Esteban says:

That makes sense, since Ramiro Pena is maybe the worst hitter ever as a righty. But at the same time, Miranda fills the exact same role as Berkman does/did right?

• Apollo22237 says:

I guess it would be since they already have Thames to DH if necessary also, while if A-Rod is out for a little while longer, who is the other 3rd baseman. Unless Thames can do that too, hehe.

• Why not bring Miranda back up if they’re trying to replace Berkman as the DH? How does it help to have both Nunez and Pena on the roster?

If ARod didn’t have a mild strain, they probably would have brought up a bat instead of Nuñez. But in the short term with his barking leg, it’s nice to have another kid who can play 3B so that Peña’s not the only option.

13. bonestock94 says:

I just wanna see the Puma hit multiple homers in pinstripes now, why must my dream be shat on.

14. Steve O. says:

Chad Gaudin sucks, but he’s not going anywhere for a position player. Teams value depth. Berkman or A-Rod are likely headed to the DL.

15. vin says:

I don’t mind Nunez getting a shot. However, I’m a little surprised Russo didn’t get the call. He has more experience at 3b and has already had a taste of the big leagues. He already knows what its like to sit on a big league bench and make 1 or 2 starts a week.

• Ross in Jersey says:

Probably because we’ve been down that road before. After getting a couple hits against the Mets, he was god awful with the bat and didn’t play very well in the field, either. Why not give Nunez a look-see and see what he has? They’re essentially the same player at this point.

• vin says:

That’s probably the reason. But for whatever reason I could see Cash and Girardi preferring Russo for the reasons I listed. Not saying it would be right.

One small thing that Nunez has going for him is that he’s a pretty legit pinch running option. He’s stolen 23 bases this year, while only being caught 5 times.

16. kosmo says:

Bringing up Nunez is a good move which IMO has very little to do with Pena.Pena has become ARODs caddy .Nunez will be Jeter´s.It allows Girardi to rest Jeter a little these next 2 weeks additionally it helps Girardi in case AROD needs to sit giving him more flexibility.

17. Spinning it forward (because that’s my thing), it makes sense to keep both Nuñez and Peña around for the next two weeks since it lets us rest/LIDR ARod and Jeter at will. But we don’t need both of them playoff eligible; only one UTI is needed come October.

Which leads me to a followup question: If we were to send Nuñez back down to the minors on, say, August 30th, does he still have to wait a full 10 days before coming back up, or does the September 1st roster expansion date give an exemption from the 10-day rule?

• Steve O. says:

I’m not sure, and I can’t find this on the interwebs. I would think so, because roster expansion is like a mass call up if you will.

• Ed says:

He has to wait 10 days, or until his team’s season ends. Staten Island’s season ends on 9/5 and I believe they aren’t making the playoffs, so anyone optioned to that team can return on the 6th. I don’t know if there are other teams that are better options.

18. Mike HC says:

So, we finally get to see the alleged reason we don’t have Cliff Lee. I hope this guy can help the team.

19. vin says:

“I’d like to use the gift of Berkman’s DL opening and send one of them down (probably Nuñez) on the last day of August to get playoff eligibility for another member of the 40-man more likely to contribute in October, like Miranda or Albaladejo.”

For some reason I though in order to be playoff eligible a player had to be on the 40 man and either be on the 25 man by September, or at any other earlier point during the season. I’m probably wrong, but I always thought that was the case.

I like your concept though.

• I used to think it’s simply “at any point during the season before September 1″, but that’s incorrect.

It’s actually who’s on the 25-man roster at midnight, August 31st. If we were to option Phil Hughes down to Scranton on August 30th and not bring him back up until September 1st, he wouldn’t be playoff eligible because he wasn’t on the roster on that final, all-important day. It doesn’t matter that he was on it all the days before that.

It’s the 25 man roster on August 31st + the guys on the major league DL. That’s it. Miranda and Huffman and Russo and Curtis and Albaladejo and all the other kids who made brief cameos but are back in the minors aren’t eligible unless they come back up before rosters expand.

• Steve O. says:

This. Way to clear that up, Tommie.

• Steve O. says:

The only exception is that a player on the 60-day disabled list may be replaced by another player from the team’s 40-man roster (as of August 31) who plays the same position.

So, Juan Miranda could easily be playoff elgible as a PH now that Nick Johnson’s suffered another setback.

• True, Nick looks like a potential get out of jail free card, since his chances of making it back by Game #162 are dimmer.

• Ed says:

Being on the 40 man roster is not a requirement though. In what’s probably the most obvious instance of this rule, K-Rod was not actually added to the Angels 40 man roster until his September 2002 callup. Another case was a few years back the A’s reached a point during where every 2B on the 40 man roster was injured and they had to add someone to the 40 man & playoff rosters during the middle of the ALCS.

• Steve O. says:

I believe you can just add someone to the 40 Man to take said player’s place. I don’t think the replacement player has to be on the roster at the time of injury or roster expansion.

• Mike HC says:

This was the best explanation I was able to find:

Playoff Rosters: Playoff rosters must be set at 25, not including disabled players, on August 31. For each player on the 60-day DL, teams may add players to the eligible list during the playoffs at the same position, provided that they were in the orginization on August 31… Teams must choose 25 players from their playoff eligible list before each round of the playoffs.

• Steve O. says:

provided that they were in the orginization on August 31

This was my understanding. The exemption works for any player at the same position, but the replacement player obviously has to go on the 40-man roster to actually play in the postseason.

• Mike HC says:

The rules are tinkered with like every year. So it is tough to keep up with the ins and outs of it.

But I think we got it covered good enough now.

• I’ve never heard the same position qualification before – are you sure about that?

Steve’s right about that part and wrong about the 40-man part.

A player on the 60-day DL at season’s end grants an exemption to the team to replace him in the pool of playoff-eligible players with someone who

A.) plays the same position he does (catcher for catcher, infielder for infielder, outfielder for outfielder, pitcher for pitcher), and
            B.) was in the team’s organization as of midnight August 31st.

To replace Nick Johnson, you don’t have to be on the 40-man (like K-Rod wasn’t), but you have to be a Yankee infielder who was a Yankee by the end of August. If we sign Luis Heredia on August 30th, he can replace Damaso Marte (if Marte’s still injured). If we don’t sign him until September 1st, he can’t replace Marte.

That’s how it works.

What I don’t know is, how specific the positional requirement is. You can only replace a catcher with another catcher, but I don’t know if you can replace a second baseman with a third baseman or if that player has to have played a certain number of games/innings at the specific position in question. My guess is any infielder can replace any infielder, but that’s not explicitly clear anywhere I can find. And I don’t know how DHs are treated.

• Chris says:

I thought the positional restriction was only position player vs pitcher, not down to the actual position played.

• Mike HC says:

you are right:

The rules also say that if a player eligible for the postseason is hurt and can’t play, the team can request permission from the commissioner’s office to replace him with a player from the minor league system, with a few restrictions. The player must be on a minor league roster within the organization as of Aug. 31 and still with the organization at the end of the regular season. Also, an injured pitcher can only be replaced by another pitcher and a position player by another position player, although these positions don’t have to match.

• Steve O. says:

Meh, I forgot about the player not being able to be on the 40-man. I’m batting .500.

What about being a DH? Can we say Nick Johnson was our DH so we want our best hitter in the minors to do the same? I’d imagine it’s just a 1B, but it’s food for thought.

• Ed says:

Thanks for clearing it up – the positional requirement made sense, I just hadn’t heard anything for or against it before.

As for the specificness of things, I’m would think you’re right on infielder for infielder. I believe the commissioner’s office has to approve the substitutions, so I think that’s how they handle teams trying to abuse the rule.

• Chris says:

I don’t think it affects the 40-man roster issue, but the rules have been changed since K-Rod came up.

20. Jorge says:

Austin Kearns = “Real Yankee”
    Fat Puma Elvia = “Not a Real Yankee”

I jest.

Toss-up between Nunez and Pena, at least as of this minute, as far as I’m concerned, although I’ve heard so much about Nunez being the better at this point that I am, at the very least, curious.