Record Last Week: 3-3 (34 RS, 33 RA)
Season Record: 80-50 (697 RS, 534 RA, 82-48 Pythag. record), tied for first in the AL East
Schedule This Week: vs. Athletics (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), vs. Blue Jays (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with rookie Ivan Nova making his first career start, but Jose Bautista ruined it with a late inning homerun. Not all was lost for Nova, because his effort earned him another start with Javy Vazquez stepping aside. The Yankees rebounded with an offensive explosion the next day, but Phil Hughes couldn’t seal the series win because of a short start.
- After a much needed day off, the Yanks headed to Chicago and promptly dropped the series opener because of some sloppy play. Thankfully CC Sabathia and the offense righted the ship the next day, and Nova picked up his first career win in a pitcher’s duel yesterday.
- Injury Zone: Derek Jeter is battling some tendinitis in his left leg and Damaso Marte is still bothered by a sore shoulder. Nick Johnson needs a second wrist surgery, believe it or not. Nick Swisher missed some time after fouling a ball off his left leg. Andy Pettitte threw a pair of bullpen sessions and both went well. Mark Teixeira is day-to-day with a bruised hand he suffered on a diving defensive play. Lance Berkman begins a minor league rehab assignment today.
- Jon Albaladejo and Juan Miranda will be among the first wave of September call-ups, but Romulo Sanchez won’t be joining them because of an arm issue.
- The Dodgers placed Hiroki Kuroda on waivers and rumor had it that the Yanks would be interested, but Brian Cashman shot it down.
- Major League Baseball is investigating Nova and Wilkin DeLaRosa for alleged improper B-12 injections.
- Last, but certainly not least, George Steinbrenner will have a monument in his his honor unveiled on Sept. 20th.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.