Aug

Heyman: Yankees won claim for Ted Lilly

Via Jon Heyman, the Yankees recently won the waiver claim for Dodgers lefthander Ted Lilly. Team Torre pulled Lilly back, however, so he will not be traded to anyone, let alone the Bombers. Since the Yanks have the best record in baseball and thus are unable to block anyone, the fact that they claimed him indicates to me that they had sincere interest in acquiring him. Given the struggles of A.J. Burnett, Dustin Moseley, and Javy Vazquez, I can’t say I blame them, though I’m not confident with Lilly in the AL East. Oh well, moot point now anyway.

1. bexarama says:

WTF are the Dodgers doing, seriously? For a decent team, what a mess of a franchise.

2. Mattchu12 says:

Would have been nice, Hiroki Kuroda would have been nicer, but I think we’ll be alright without either. CC, AJ, Javy Hughes, Pettitte, Nova, Moseley, Mitre should be good enough til the playoffs. I’m not feeling any breath on the back of my neck from Red Sox Nation.

3. j_Yankees says:

For shame…I wouldn’t have minded the addition of Lilly at all.

4. EndlessMike says:

The dodgers had the highest NL attendence and a playoff team last year and yet they act like the pirates.

5. Tony says:

why would they put him on waivers if they where not willing to deal him??????? I would have liked to see Lilly

6. I wonder what the price in a trade would’ve been.

7. Reggie C. says:

I saw this coming a week ago. Now if i could just find that post…

Did Pettitte have a set-back or something?

8. MikeD says:

If they put him on waivers you’d think they’d want to at least listen to the offer. I guess they figured if he made it through waivers, that would give them ability to trade him to a specific team.

9. aRX says:

Since the Dodgers are an NL team, weren’t the Yankees DEAD LAST in waiver priority? No one else, AL or NL, even put in a claim on Lilly? Seriously?!?

10. mustang says:

“though I’m not confident with Lilly in the AL East.”

The guy has only been lights out for LA with his last game being the lone exception. He also played in the AL east for 3 years before the Cubs.
    Moot point, but he would have been a real good addition.