Aug

Open Thread: Back in the saddle again

Now, that’s more like. Powered by a nine-run sixth innings, the Yankees confidently downed the Tigers this afternoon 11-5 to win their first series since downing Cleveland in late July. At the least, the Bombers will maintain their share of first place and could move into sole possession of the AL East lead if the Rays lose against the A’s tonight.

We’ll have more on the game later tonight, but for now, let’s bask in the glow of an offensive explosion. Before we jump into the fun of the Open Thread, I’d like to take care of a few housekeeping items. First, please note the addition to the commenting guidelines. We are respectfully requesting that game threads and open threads remain somewhat focused on baseball and that political discussion of the kind that inspires rancorous and often bitter debate on the Internet remain in the Off Topic Thread.

Second, we had a busy news day as the Yanks were going about their business this afternoon. Roger Clemens is facing an indictment alleging that he perjured himself when he testified to Congress in 2008 on his use of PEDs. On the field, Alfredo Aceves is almost ready to return to the Bronx.

Finally, allow me to plug our social networking. You can follow River Ave. Blues and its three writers on Twitter at the following accounts: @RiverAveBlues, @bkabak, @joepawl and @mikeaxisa. Find us also on Facebook where we send photos, videos and pithy Yankee-related status messages to your News Feed.

Das it. The Red Sox, 9-0 against Los Angeles this year, play the Angels, and the game should air on MLB Network this evening. The alternate in some areas is the Phillies/Giants NL Wild Card showdown. San Francisco starters haven’t won a game in 15 tries. The Patriots and Falcons square off in some pre-season football action at 8 p.m. on FOX; the Rays play the A’s tonight at 10:10 p.m.; and of course, Jersey Shore, the pinnacle of American culture, is new this evening as well.

The photo of Derek Jeter awkwardly congratulating Robinson Cano on the latter’s two-run home run comes to us via the Kathy Willens of the Associated Press.

Categories : Open Thread

1. So, when are YOU going to see Maquinito play for Staten Island?

(I’m going Monday, first row, and Thursday, third row.)

(Hello, my name’s Rebecca and I have a baseball problem)

2. Jose the Satirist says:

I think the “commenting guidelines” should be renamed the “commenting constitution”. So that when people violate them we can call it unconstitutional.

3. At the least, the Bombers will maintain their share of first place and could move into sole possession of the AL East lead if the Rays lose against the A’s tonight.

Your pitchers tonight: Trevor Cahill v. Andy Sonnanstine.

(thinks)

I like our odds.

4. bonestock94 says:

Remember when people were mad that the Red Sox got Mike Cameron, lawls.

5. Rose says:

First, please note the addition to the commenting guidelines.

Rose Law > Miranda Rights

6. Zanath says:

I’m so tired of people talking about how gritty the Red Sox are. I think there has to be a mandate that MLB analysts cannot criticize the Red Sox.

7. From our friend @frankiepiliere tonight:

“Betances sat 94-95 in the first, used the elevated FB as his out pitch. Aggr, threw only FBs. Blowing FB by hitters, loving the approach”

“This is prime Josh Beckett type stuff from Betances, wow. The ability to get 2 strikes with the CH and finish letter high at 96 is special”

In reply to who’s better, ManBan or Betances:

“@JThomas8 didn’t think I would say this but after 2 innings tonight, prob Betances. Def top rotation if this isnt ace stuff I donno what is”

“@rebeccapbp I almost wish I had a Yankee prospect to rip to even things out lol. It feels weird to be this non stop positive”

JIMP. JIMP. JIMP.

8. China Joe says:

If Brackman, Betances and Banuelos all (miraculously) manage to pan out at the major league level. Phil Hughes should changes his name to Bilip Bughes, just to round out the Killer B thing

9. vin says:

I just learned that Greg Colbrunn manages Charleston. I had no idea he was in the organization.

10. Accent Shallow says:

MLB’s website has lots o’ highlights (especially the 9 run sixth, how often does someone have two XBH in the same inning?), but none of Hughes.

How did he look?

11. Dirty Pena says:

If J.D. Drew plays 35 more games this year, he’ll have played more games than Kevin Youkilis since he joined Boston.

12. donttradecano says:

So whats the deal with the fantasy league? are more people accepting the invite?

13. Accent Shallow says:

Is anyone else bothered that a) we don’t have the same number of teams in each league, and b) we don’t have the same number of teams in each division? Both of these could be easily solved by some simple realignment (there are currently 16 NL teams and 14 AL teams), but that would require interleague series going on throughout the year. Since IL is Selig’s baby, that’s not happening while he’s alive.

Alternatively, there’s contraction down to 24 teams (not happening), and expansion to 36 teams (ewww). There’s also more radical realignment, but I’d rather not see that, and I don’t think that’s realistic. What wouldn’t surprise me would be two 15 team leagues at some point, though.

• Dirty Pena says:

Personally, no I’m not bothered. However, if they were going to change the number of teams, why not make it 32 and have four divisions of four teams?

• vin says:

I can see that, but it might mean the end of the wild card. Unless if they go with 5 or 6 playoff teams (see below).

Another thing I’m not a fan of is the unbalanced schedule. However, I can see why it exists – more tickets sold, less travel.

• Doesn’t bother me, but all you’d need to do is send an NL team back to the AL. Maybe the Brewers, because they were originally AL.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I don’t know how daddy Selig would react seeing his child move back to the AL.

• Brad Toughy says:

An odd amount of teams per league would make for awkward scheduling unless there’s an interleague series all year long, which I don’t like the sound of.

• Jose the Satirist says:

Interleague going throughout the year would be terrible.

• vin says:

I too am bothered by the uneven divisions. Winning the AL West is a heck of a lot easier than winning the NL Central.

Something I just re-learned… the 2001 Mariners were not in an absolute cupcake division. The Rangers and Angels were just 8 and 6 games under .500 respectively. And the A’s won 102 games! Of course they still finished 14 games out of first. I just assumed all these years that the Mariners benefitted from an unbalanced schedule in a weak division.

I think we’re more likely to see the playoffs expand to 5 or 6 teams with play-ins or byes where the non-division winners are based on record.

Contraction ain’t happening as you said. There doesn’t seem to be any talk about expansion – partly because of the eocnomy.

I think two 15 team leagues would be possible. Actually the more I think about it, I like the idea. Spread out interleague play. It would take some of the luster off it, but who really cares anymore (besides some of the owners maybe)?

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Rotating interleague doesn’t sound so bad:

ALE-NLE | ALC-ALW | NLC-NLW
        ALE-ALC | ALW-NLW | NLC-NLE
        ALE-ALW | ALC-NLC | NLE-NLW

etc..

• vin says:

Yeah, I think it has potential. Of course it would require a team to move to the AL (Brewers again?).

Might be kind of cool to have a Yankee-Mets weekend series in September. Of course everyone would complain that they’re not playing September games against teams from within their own division. Which leads to the bigger issue of whether or not winning a division guarantees you a playoff spot.

• China Joe says:

Personally, I’m sick of divisions altogether. They create imbalances (like the 2006 Cardinals winning the World Series) and they haven’t fostered many new rivalries (the best baseball rivalries date back before division play. I say do it the old way: balance the schedule just one American League and National League, except the top 4 teams make the playoffs. Then nobody can complain about being in the same division as the Yankees, and you’d never have a team with an inferior record making the playoffs.

• Dirty Pena says:

Way too much traveling. The “old way” was created when there was no teams west of the Mississippi. When the Dodgers and Giants moved to Cali, divisions were created like ten or so years later, probably for that reason.

• China Joe says:

I remember the Core Four interview in Sports Illustrated a few months ago. Jeter was saying he was in favor of the balanced schedule. Also, this unbalanced schedule thing is less than 10 years old. When I was a kid the Yankees were taking way more trips to the West Coast. Wasn’t a big deal then.

• Why would we have to expand to 36 teams? Why not just 32?

• Accent Shallow says:

Because if you have two leagues and three divisions per league, and you want an equal number of teams in each division, you need 24 (4 teams per division), 30 (5) or 36 (6). 16 isn’t divisible by 3.

• Pete says:

**looks at standings**

no, not bothered.

14. Ivan says:

Melo a Knick?

15. bexarama says:

So my first thought on this picture was OMG STOP PUTTING PRESSURE ON THAT THING.

16. JohnnyC says:

Mr. Met is an abomination of a mascot. It speaks volumes for the disdain the Wilpons have for their fan base. It’d give me nightmares if I were a 5 year old Mets fan.

17. Reggie C. says:

So LUIS HEREDIA ended up with the Pirates after all.

18. Thirty5Thirty6 says:

If it is going to be a big deal then don’t worry about it, but if anyone (i.e. TSJC) could link me the thread about what we aren’t supposed to be talking about, or even tell me which thread and I will go back to it. It would be greatly appreciated.

19. So I missed a hell of a game (and game thread) today, huh? All the exciting shit on RAB happens when I’m gone. Oh and: we will not be stopped. We play today, we win today. Fix bayonets (passed out by TSJC). Pussytubing. Let’s party like it’s ’09, mother fuckers.

20. bexarama says:

WireImage is a goddamn tease.

Also, sorry for the semi-self-promotion but JMS put together one hell of a YCPB roundup last night. We are super proud of this one. :D

• Kit says:

Just read the round up, and it’s great. Lots of insanity everywhere. I’m really surprised Molina has 4 passed balls this year and that Martinez only has 3. I feel like something is really, really wrong with that.

• JohnnyC says:

Great job by Jordan. Kid has talent! It is Michael-Kay-Ironic that The House That Mauer Built has only seen 1 home run from the reigning MVP. And it raises the question: what happened last year that allowed Mauer to more than double his previous career high in 4-baggers? I hope Mr. Minnesota was behaving himself.

• bexarama says:

Joe Mauer, HR & HR/FB% by year:

2006: 13, 10.8%
        2007: 7, 7.2%
        2008: 9, 6.5%
        2009: 28, 20.4%
        2010: 8, 7%

I don’t think HR/FB% is ALL luck but there’s something there. Obviously he’s still a very, very valuable player even without the homers.

• Zack says:

If he never hit that many last year, how much do you think his contract would be? Probably earned him an extra 30m

• Pete says:

Jose Guillen still hit 16 before being DFA’d

Love the use of “still” there. Makes it sound like he’s liable to have some of those homers taken away, which would be hilarious

21. Bryan says:

Wes Welker = Beast.

22. bexarama says:

Anaheim or Los Angeles or whatever it is.

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

23. GRGOYLDEF@ says:

Matsui!!!!!!

24. BigBlueAL says:

After reading all the political stuff I missed out on earlier today, I am going to watch all the Real Time with Bill Maher episodes I have missed lately to be ready to debate politics with the best of them….

25. candyforstalin says:

so this brian wilson opus has to be the greatest love song the world produced since the visigoths. this may very well be the second. file under protest songs.

26. JonathanCold says:

I guess we can expect Hughes to be shut down in the near future. With Andy’s return hanging in the balance, the pitching is a little questionable.

I’m still confident in a playoff spot, but with those two issues and Vazquez looking a bit fatigued there is some cause for concern.

Are we going to see CC, AJ, Vazquez, Moseley, Mitre every 5 days? I hate to sound like Debbie Downer, but that is depressing to think about.

I guess we have to hope Andy not only comes back soon, but is back to old form.

27. Steve H says:

Jose Canseco just said on CNN he hit a baseball 550 feet the other day. Steroid free at 46. He’s awesome.

28. Slappy White says:

I just went and read the game thread from today and was actually glad I had had missed it. I have a new appreciation for my job.

29. Slappy White says:

MLB network announcer just mentioned something called red sox nation. WTF is that

/HankSteinbrenner’d

• Kit says:

I laughed.

Also, I had to change the channel once one of the announcers suggested that Terry Francona should win manager of the year because he’s had to deal with tough injuries to his players. Um. So? Every manager has to deal with that at some point. So I guess they should all win this year. Yay.

/end rant

• Slappy White says:

The “Neal Diamond making a come back thanks to red sox nation” was disturbing in sooooo many ways

• bexarama says:

If by “once” you mean EVERY GODDAMN TIME THEY TALK ABOUT THE RED SOX EVEN WHEN THE RED SOX ARE NOT PLAYING IN WHATEVER GAME IT IS then yes. You are correct. ;P

I do think the Red Sox have had an abnormal number of injuries but there were also people screaming “FIRE FRANCONA!” in April. And they weren’t really injured then – they just sucked. Of course, that wasn’t Francona’s fault that they sucked… they just sucked.

• Kit says:

I just don’t get why they’re praising him for doing what a manager is supposed to do–manage through injuries. A bunch of managers do that every damn year. Not everyone has a smooth, easy sailing year, but compliment the guy when the team is in first place, not when he can’t make sense of his own line up, rotation, bullpen or bench. And I’m not angry because I think Girardi should win the award (I could care less, really), but because they assume it is the greatest thing ever that he is managing despite the injuries. He kind of has to. It’s why they pay him.

• bexarama says:

Yep.

I understand praising him for keeping them in contention despite a bunch of injuries. But a bigger reason why they’ve never really been in contention this year was their awful April. They don’t get off to such a bad start while mostly fully healthy, they’re a whole lot more in contention now.

• Kit says:

Right. I wasn’t even thinking about their terrible April, but you made a good point. I don’t think it’s his fault if his players are terrible at the beginning of the year. Every one slumps, but the fact that they’re praising him for something he’s paid to do is really unbelievable. They should praise everyone managing teams over .500 then. This one’s for you, Gardenhire. Way to go, Guillen (throws up)! I’m glad you gave up coke, Ron Washington!

I just think it’s ridiculous to praise him for managing, as he is supposed to.

• JohnnyC says:

The MSM hasn’t yet caught on but Red Sox Nation is dwindling. NESN ratings are down by more than 33% this season. A trend that will only continue downward as the decade goes forward and the new Yankee Dynasty unfolds spearheaded by the homegrown rotation of Hughes, Brackman, Betances, Banuelos, and Warren.

• Kit says:

I personally don’t think it’s fair to judge that based on one really terrible season for them, but I like your optimism!

• JohnnyC says:

If the YES Network’s ratings went down 33% in one year, what do you think the MSM would be saying about the popularity of the Yankees? Headlines would be screaming It’s The Beginning of the End!

• Kit says:

They probably would say that, but that would just prove the double standard. To be honest, I think Boston fans are probably still licking their wounds from last year. Knowing that your team is basically a shell of what it used to be (because of a horrible start, injuries, and players not living up to their potential) and that your two biggest competitions have proven to be able to dominate and embarrass your team is probably too painful for people to watch.

• Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

One of the talking heads on MLB network said this afternoon that Josh Beckett’s biggest problem is that “he has too many weapons” to use against batters.

His biggest problem is that lately he’s been bringing a knife to a gun fight.

• Pete says:

Ew. You shouldn’t win Manager of the Year based on what you had to deal with. You should win it based on how you dealt with it. Are we sure that $170mil + 3rd place = MOY?

30. joe says:

lol comments on this site are pretty memey

31. mike c says:

RA dickey’s ERA is 2.41, that’s pretty RAD

32. JGS says:

The Angels finally beat the Red Sox

33. bexarama says:

Holy crap! The Angels beat the Red Sox! I don’t believe… what I just saw!!!

34. bexarama says:

Mets still haven’t won a road series against an NL team ALL YEAR

35. Sweet Dick Willie says:

I keep hearing MSM saying what a great rotation the Sux have. Well, this is courtesy of Pete Abe:

Hard to believe but true: Beckett had recorded only three outs after the 7th inning all this season. That’s over 14 starts.

36. Eirias says:

Am I alone in thinking the Minnesota girl in the intermission commercials MLB.tv plays is really cute?

37. Apollo22237 says:

Baseball Tonight really needs to stop talking about cannolis, I want one now.

38. Total Dominication says:

Come on Davis!

39. Pat D says:

By the way, I’d just like to apologize for my role in the…unpleasantness of this afternoon. I really don’t think I played a big part other than letting it escalate and demanding a straight answer, which I still never received, but of course I’m not helping anything by pointing this out either.

I respect the new guidelines and will abide by them. I intend to stay out of any topics that being in the open thread as well, since quite obviously they are wastes of time as no one “wins” those discussions, no matter what at least one person seems to think.

After all, I came to this site for the Yankees, not for politics.

40. Total Dominication says:

Pennington!! A’s winning!

41. Dr Van Nostrand says:

gotta love this old daily show gem about boston

42. rek4gehrig says:

7 minute recap of all games on MLB network is really cool.