Aug

Open Thread: Walking on hallowed ground

I haven’t been to a game in a few weeks, so I haven’t been able to check up on the status of the demolition of the Old Stadium across the street. Yeah, I know it’s a giant hole in the ground now (and has been for quite some time), but building and construction nerds like me enjoy that stuff.

With a big ol’ tip of the cap to Sliding Into Home, Baseball-Fever.com user DN4L posted some pictures of the new walkway that allows you to walk across the land where the Old Stadium used to be, like the one you see above. From the looks of things, it allows you cut across from 161st St. to the middle of Macombs Dam Park, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. That’s certainly useful if you’re coming from the New Metro North Station, which of course I never do.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The ESPN Sunday Night Game features the Mets and Phillies, with the primo pitching matchup of Mike Pelfrey vs. Kyle Kendrick. Santana vs. Halladay it is not. Enjoy the game if you partake, and feel free to talk about whatever you want.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Over/Under: 8.5 hits allowed by Pelfry.

2. Greg Golson pinch hit for Eduardo Nuñez in the first inning. Just a heads up…

3. Carcillo says:

Bullington has never faced the Yankees before, so we’re going to have to deal with the whole “ZOMG a pitcher they’ve never seen before” phenomenon. Don’t ask me why, but I feel confident about this one (that means they’re doomed).

Alas. I felt the same way a few weeks ago when analyzing the Cleveland series. I figured three of four then, with either the Burnett/Carmona game or the Moseley/Talbot game being the loss (but not both). I saw a Sabathia/Tomlin matchup, but even with the Yankees purported struggles in mind, I wasn’t going to let that make me think the Yankees were at a distinct disadvantage that night. Always expect to win with the ace on the mound.

FAIL.

That in mind, I did the same thing when analyzing this series. Figured three of four, the loss likely being Friday with Moseley. Sure enough, that one happened. This matchup featured that lethal “never-faced-Yankees-before” aspect, but since Bullington has sucked ever since being drafted, I liked the Yankees chances.

All this leads me to believe is this:

Fool me once: shame on you
    Fool me twice: shame on me
    Fool me thrice: fuck you

That last one isn’t going to happen, luckily. I dunno when this opportunity next presents itself, but games like today’s are just friggen ridiculous.

Ah well, Boston lost. Still a good six clear of the playoffs. As long as the Yankees sit around 89-90 wins by the time they return to Texas, I’ll be content.

• I’d also like to point out that the two games we lost came on a game delayed by rain twice for two and a half hours (and where the winning run was a homer that hit the foul pole) and on a game where we held the opposition to 1 run over 9 innings.

We lost two hard-luck games to the Royals. It’s not like we got blown out twice by the Royals.

• boogie down says:

“There’s an old saying in Tennessee, I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says, ‘Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.’”

4. Ross in Jersey says:

As someone who goes often and comes from the station on that side of the stadium…

The new walkway was put in sometime between Tuesday the 3rd and that Friday before the Boston series. It really doesn’t make the trip to the stadium much shorter by my measure, and they funneled everyone into that walkway rather than the normal pathway adjacent to the parking garage. They both go right to the stairway that leads to the Metro station. You maybe save a couple hundred feet of walking distance? So not entirely sure why they made the change.

5. Carlosologist says:

I just looked on FanGraphs, and with the 3 HR game last night, A-Rod has boosted his WAR from 2.2 to 2.7. That’s pretty cool, IMO.

6. Gonzo says:

Anyone see how many SO’s Max Stassi has this year?

7. Yankee27 says:

Any further news on possible last minute draft signings by the Yankees?

8. So is the signing deadline midnight tonight, as in going into Monday morning, or is it midnight going into Tuesday?

9. Hughesus Christo says:

Guys… is @yesmichaelkay actually dead? WHAT HAPPENED?

10. Why in the FUCK are they starting this game? That field is not playable.

11. bexarama says:

Remember when Mike Pelfrey was like a legit Cy Young candidate before the ASB?

12. boogie down says:

For all of my fellow Jet fans (or anyone who wants to chime in)… when do you think the Revis holdout will end? Also, what terms will the two sides agree to?

I say Aug. 28th and 10 years, $120M w/ $40M guaranteed. Just spitballin’ here.

13. bexarama says:

This tumblr rules

The only problem is that some of the stuff is like “MARIANO RIVERA IS AWESOME!!!!” and that’s… not really a secret.

Also, the first two secrets are this -
    (Hell no. And I didn’t even see today’s game, though I heard.)

and this -
    (YOU SPELLED HIS NAME WRONG >:()

14. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

To all who care, which is probably not many (or any), but I’m going to feed my ego by posting this anyway:

Just a heads up, I’m going to be posting MUCH less as the season goes on. Nothing bad or anything like that, just got shit to do.

Just an FYI.

• Gonzo says:

It’s all kinds of awesome! All you have to do is substitute Red Sox players for Yankee players and Theo for Cash, and viola! Or any high payroll team for that matter. It’s gold! Gold, I tell you Jerry!

• JohnnyC says:

He’s probably a disgruntled Mets fan who doesn’t yet realize that his team has 7 players under contract for ~$120 million in 2011. Happy New Year!

15. Gonzo says:

Mike, what do you know about Mike Newman from Scouting the Sally? He hasn’t seen JR Murphy first hand, but he tweeted that he has heard that he’s not very good.

16. larryf says:

Saw a note in the Times today that Jeter is sitting second in all time strikeouts for a Yankee between Ruth 3rd and Mantle 1st. He will probably break that record too! I wonder where he will end up in all time gidp standings

• JohnnyC says:

He’s already first with 228 GIDPs, five ahead of Bernie Williams and about 30 ahead of Mattingly. They’re the top 3 all-time Yankees for GIDP. Cal Ripken is #1 all-time with 350. Hank Aaron is second (328). There are about 10 active players with more GIDP than Jeter.

17. Zack says:

Anyone else sick of the BP commercials? Nobody likes you, go away

18. Over/Under: 10.5 national articles trashing Gardenhire.

• Zack says:

Probably over, and of course they wont mention that he missed his last start with an elbow issue

• boogie down says:

Over. I’m sure those writers will attach a distributive “yeah, but” to the facts that Slowey missed his last start due to elbow tendinitis, he had already thrown 106 pitches, the Twins are in the heat of a playoff race, and Slowey is more valuable if he’s healthy during the stretch run, something that’s more easily achieved if he isn’t pushed unnecessarily.

I agree with Gardenhire’s move, especially at this juncture of the season.

The team’s ultimate goal >>>>>>> One player’s personal achievement

19. Dirty Pena says:

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. John Carlos for losing to me so handily in fantasy this week, allowing my tepid push for a playoff spot to continue.

20. Gonzo says:

Is The Expendables worth going to see?

21. Mythbusters just showed that bulls in a china shop will not break shit.

22. Dirty Pena says:

Baseball-reference can be a real pain in the ass about recognizing names sometimes. Does anyone know a quick way to bring up J.R. Murphy, without having to scroll through all the Murphys?

23. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

I just discovered the free youtube video-MP3 file converter.

My life: Complete.

I’m literally shaking right now.

24. You know what bums me out about that Coke/Pepsi ad? The guy playing the Pepsi driver was in Band of Brothers. Now he’s reduced to that? Bummer.

25. candyforstalin says:

top ten american films of the 90′s.

goodfellas (1990), martin scorsese
    unforgiven (1992), clint eastwood
    groundhog day (1993), harold ramis
    fargo (1996), ethan and joel coen
    buffalo ‘66 (1998), vincent gallo
    rushmore (1998), wes anderson
    the thin red line (1998), terrence malick
    magnolia (1999), paul thomas anderson
    the straight story (1999), david lynch
    the thomas crown affair (1999), john mctiernan

an alternative list, consisting only of films starring natalie portman, is being made.

• Tom Zig says:

maybe it’s because I was really young at the time (12), but the thin red line was decidedly meh.

• nsalem says:

What would you say the theme of Magnolia was?
      What did you like about it?

• candyforstalin says:

i have this picture in my mind of paul thomas anderson and todd solondz (happiness) in a ring with frank capra.

• nsalem says:

Have you ever seen todd at all live. what a strange person, i saw him in an interview with conan just before the release of stroytelling, Conan could not deal with him. He really has dropped out of site since Pallindrones. I saw he cam out with a movie this year “Life During Wartime”. I think thats his first one since 03 or or.

• candyforstalin says:

i haven’t. i hated storytelling (with passion) and i din’t see palindromes.

• nsalem says:

I can see why. He’s really got into shock value. Welcome to The Dollhouse and Happiness were interesting but after that he went over the top. Never thought about it back then but I wonder if Welcome to The Dollhouse is a reference to Ibsen.

• bexarama says:

I fucking LOOOOOVE Magnolia.

I fucking HAAAAAATE Buffalo ’66.

• nsalem says:

Loved the Scott Norwood references in Buffalo 66 Gallo was a really creepy character. I could see where it was a turn-off. Magnolia was a great but one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. What did you love about it?

• bexarama says:

I loved the atmosphere, the music, and most of the characters. So uh. Basically everything. Haha.

• candyforstalin says:

aimee mann is just God being thriftless.

• nsalem says:

She didn’t come east for her xmas show last year. I saw her in July 09. I think her band fell victim to the recession and she used electronic drums and a couple of guys playing synthesizers. It just wasn’t the same. Unlike the Yankees she can not overcharge people to see her perform. Hope she finds away to bring them with her next time around.

• nsalem says:

Great Soundtrack Aimee Mann was terrificc, she’s still pissed that Save me lost to a Phil Collins song from Tarzan. She mentions it every time she performs it live. I love all of PT Andersen’s movie and Magnolia is probably my favorite. Almost all of the characters with the exception of Phillip Hoffman and John Reilly were really such pathetic and lost souls. What a great statement on the human condition. I still watch it at least twice a year.

• Groundhog Day? Really? Bleh.

I’ll keep Goodfellas, Unforgiven, Fargo, and The Thin Red Line from your list. Scratch ALL the others and replace them with:

The Shawshank Redemption
      Dazed and Confused
      Clerks
      Boogie Nights
      The Last of the Mohicans
      Saving Private Ryan
      Schindler’s List

I’m sorry, but Groundhog Day probably isn’t one of the top 50 films of the 1990s. Not remotely.

/arguingoverpersonalopinionsisprettypointless’d

• nsalem says:

Great list Would have left off Malcolm X (probably because of my love of the book) and I was comparing. I saw Reservoir Dogs when it came out in the theater in 1993. The scene where Tim Roth is bleeding out in the backseat of the car was so much more vivid at the movies as compared to the video. Still have not gotten over
        Shawshank losing to Forrest Gump for the best pic in 1994.
        Shawshank oddly enough had incredibly low box office numbers and only average reviews. Many famous reviewers really dumped on it
        and went back and reviewed the movie in a more friendly manner the second time after it became a major hit on the secondary market. Many older “art house” types are in love with Groundhog Day and compare it to It’s a Wonderful Life. I enjoyed but its nowhere enar the top of my lists.

• candyforstalin says:

groundhog day is fantastic. i like tarantino a lot but there’s no emotional connection. 90′s steven spielberg is just not good enough. david fincher’s films are like bad remakes of david mamet’s house of games. but no ron howard so we’re good.

• nsalem says:

House Of Games and Things Change were up there on my Mamet list.
          My favorite movies from that era were the early Hal Hartley’s
          Trust and Unbelievable Truth, and all of Jim Jarmusch especially Stranger Than Paradise and Dead Man. He even goofs on Tim McCarver in Mystery Train. The Roberto Begnini vignette in Night On Earth is the funniest ten minutes of film I have ever seen.

• candyforstalin says:

i never really liked hartley’s films. jarmusch i like a lot but haven’t seen anything prior to ghost dog.

• nsalem says:

Besides Trust and Unbelievable Truth most of what Hal has done is quite disappointing. Love all of Jarmusch except I couldn’t understand his last movie “Limits Of Control”.
              Many consider Stranger Than Paradise the seed that planted the independent movement of the 1990′s

• candyforstalin says:

i saw amateur, flirt and henry fool. none of them did anything for me. haven’t seen the limits of control yet. but early jarmusch i’ll definitely look into.

• nsalem says:

definitely do very interesting stuff most of his movies revolve around the theme of a a stranger coming to a new place an the related feelings of alienation. Nice talking movies. 2 am on in New York and work is 6 short hours away. goodnight

26. Pat D says:

Has anyone forced bex to explain her absence from today’s game thread yet?

27. Esteban says: