Aug

Pettitte MRI reveals small strain in groin

Update (8:43pm): The MRI revealed a “small persistent strain” of the left groin, and Andy will not throw off a mound for another week. He will continue to throw off flat ground, however.

6:17pm: Via Marc Carig, Andy Pettitte is going for an MRI on his injured groin, saying he still feels a “pull” when he tries to pitch at game intensity. Even if the MRI comes back clean, I can’t say I’m optimistic that he’ll be back before mid-September. Perhaps his rehab was too aggressive, too early, but we can’t say for sure.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. bexarama says:

I’m not even gonna make a… what did Poopy Pants say, “corny penis joke” or something?… because I’m really upset about this.

(cries)

2. Kit says:

Damn. This isn’t good. I really, really wanted him back before September. (crying with Bex) Get well soon, Andy.

3. teddy says:

d@mm it. got to be kidding

4. jsbrendog (returns) says:

soooooooo vazquez arm is shot, pettittes groin is shot, berkman has a bad ankle, swish has a bum forearm, and arod has a bum calf? sweet leapin mariano rivera

• bexarama says:

We didn’t need Cliff Lee!

(Yeah, yeah, yeah, I’m really happy we still have Jesus Montero and I’m happy we’ll almost certainly have him AND Lee next year. But anyone saying getting Cliff Lee would’ve been a problem because we didn’t have room for him or whatever is silly.)

• YankeeJosh says:

This!

• But anyone saying getting Cliff Lee would’ve been a problem because we didn’t have room for him or whatever is silly.

Who was saying that?

• bexarama says:

I saw people saying it at various sites. I can’t remember if I saw anyone specific saying it here, but I”m sure someone did. It might’ve just been some sort of justification for not getting him.

When you can get pretty much the best pitcher in baseball, you make room for him. I do think they were asking for maybe too much for a rental. But I’m glad I didn’t have to make that trade decision (and, heh, neither did the Yankees. :X)

• I didn’t like any part of the deal, from Montero for a rental to the fact there was no obvious need. Of course anyone would LOVE to have a pitcher like Cliff Lee, but I did describe the move as “overkill” given how well the rotation was pitching at the time. I don’t remember if I said there was “no room” but a move for Lee would have meant Hughes goes to the bullpen. With the way Phil has pitched this year and developed as a starter, you have to factor that in as well.

5. CBean says:

i feel sick.

6. bexarama says:

Well YES sounded kinda optimistic? But I dunno if that’s just YES being YES. (continues crying)

7. Andrew says:

Yikes. Looks like the yanks are going to have to look at the waiver wire and try to acquire some more pitching depth to get through the injury to andy.

8. Reggie C. says:

If Pettitte only tosses a couple more games i’ll be happy. Whether those games are meaningful playoff prep or not is the big question.

The bats have got to wake up and pick up a rotation only 2 veteran starters deep. Are we even done tankering with Hughes?

9. Poopy Pants says:

Good thing Joba is stretched out at SWB.

Shit!

10. mike c says:

i heard best outcome is that the “pull” that andy is feeling is scar tissue breaking up… which is a good sign and means he is healing

11. Guest says:

Go, Gardner, go.

12. Gonzo says:

Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you.

13. EndlessMike says:

Can we list Pettitte as day-to-day?

14. Hughesus Christo says:

Pettitte shelved with “old.”

15. cano-is-the-bro says:

damn.

as long as he is ready to go come october I’m ok with it, would love to have him back asap but its not worth setting back the injury anymore.

I say continue to have moseley start in place for andy, he’s been ok which is fine. Put javy on the 15 day DL and give Nova a shot, lets see what he’s got.