Sep

Game 140: Don’t get swept

(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

This isn’t how it was supposed to play out. CC was supposed to play the stopper and end the skid at two games. That would take the pressure off the rookie in the series finale. But CC was off from the start last night and the offense couldn’t pick him up. That leaves the streak ending to rookie Ivan Nova.

Through his first three starts Nova has proved useful. He has yet to complete six innings, but he has done a good job through the first five or so. His worst start came last time out, his second time facing Toronto within 11 days. I like his chances better against an Orioles team he hasn’t yet faced. If he can give the Yanks five innings and change while allowing two or fewer runs they should be able to end the skid.

The Orioles send out Brad Bergesen, who is having a rough sophomore season. This will be his second time facing the Yankees this season. Last time they met the Yankees’ offense put a beating on Bergesen, scoring six runs before the end of the third inning. He’s been a bit better since Buck Showalter took over, a 2.81 ERA in his last six starts. Yet he’s still allowed five home runs in that span, leaving him with a 4.33 FIP. The Yanks can help start that statistical correction this afternoon.

We still don’t have the A-lineup, and since the Yanks face the lefty C.J. Wilson on Friday we might not see it then, either. But one of these days, right?

Lineup:

1. Brett Gardner, LF
2. Derek Jeter, SS
3. Mark Teixeira, DH
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Robinson Cano, 2B
6. Nick Swisher, RF
7. Lance Berkman, 1B
8. Curtis Granderson, CF
9. Francisco Cervelli, C

And on the mound, number forty-seven, Ivan Nova.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Seriously, what is Joe’s deal with never playing the A-lineup? Hell, when’s the last time he used the same lineup on back-to-back days? We get trying to keep guys rested and healthy. But it’s fucking September already. Are we going for the division title or aren’t we? If not, shut down Hughes, give the older guys a few days off a week. If we’re going for it, then stop half-assing these lineups! I really have to question Joe’s feel for the game sometimes.

2. Mike Axisa says:

That’s about as close to the A lineup as we can hope for these days.

3. Guest says:

I think Joe is trying to accomplish a middle ground— kind of go for it, while all the while having getting some rest for the stars as a main priority. Also, shift from taking a cautious approach with bruises and owwies to a super cautious approach with bruises and owwies. At some point in the last couple of months, A-Rod has been turned into a fabrege egg. Seriously, I think if he sneezes awkwardly that’s grounds for taking home out of the lineup.

Its annoying now, but I don’t think any off us will complain if everyone is healthy and clicking on all cylinders in October.

What I WILL complain about is if Joe continues with his ridiculous substitutions for A-Rod late in the game. If its health related, fine.
    But stop taking him out of the game in the late innings to pinch run for him. First of all, A-rod has lost a step or two, but its not like he’s a Molina brother. He can still score from first on most doubles and score from second on most singles. The marginal speed upgrade is not worth the huge ginormous mega drop off at the plate. (Not to mention Tex will be intentionally walked any big spot with Nunez/Pena “protecting him).

Stop it. Don’t do it anymore.

• vin says:

“If Eduardo Nunez/Ramiro Peno have any meaningful at-bats in the late innings/extra-innings of a playoff game…well…I’m too angry at the thought to think about what I might do.”

I think he’s sacrificing a few A-Rod ABs now so that we don’t see Nunez/Pena get meaningful ABs in the postseason.

Joe knows his players and the game of professional baseball better than me. I trust him (except for when it comes to his bunting strategy).

4. Zanath says:

This is about as must win as it gets, right? Definitely don’t want to be on a 4 game losing streak heading into Texas, as badly as Texas is playing right now.

5. Ellis says:

How do you calculate advanced stats (like FIP) over a period of games? I know how to select a range of games/seasons on B-R.com, but FanGraphs doesn’t seem to have that option…

6. Cy Pettitte says:

Supernova will be back with a vengeance today, you know he wasn’t happy after getting the early hook

7. Jose the Satirist says:

Is Hoffman going to retire soon? He established the 600 save club last night, but he hasn’t exactly been dominant this year.

8. Marc says:

Man I miss that damn stadium, and the bleacher creatures. Screw living in Arizona!

9. Mike Axisa says:

All I want are eight shutout innings, Ivan. You can do it.

10. Cy Pettitte says:

ivan brought his A curve today

11. Jose the Satirist says:

I love that kind of first inning.

12. vin says:

I still haven’t been able to catch a Nova start. Every time he pitches I’m either at work or on vacation.

13. It’s a shame that attendance figures are based on tickets sold and that teams don’t release the actual headcount. I’ve gone to 3 games this homestand and I have to say it’s been by far the emptiest I’ve seen it. There’s obviously a bunch of factors contributing, but sheesh, the stadium just looks bad with so many empty seats.

(Bright side? A lot easier to heckle the right fielders from the bleachers)

14. seimiya says:

What a beautiful inning by Nova.

15. theyankeewarrior says:

Changeup to the righty? I like it.

Wait, I thought 23 year-olds don’t have changeups yet in the Yankee farm system?

/Hughes’d
    /Joba’d

• iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Just fastballs that run back over the middle of the plate. “But I thought I threw the ball well”.

• Zack says:

It’s amazing what you can learn in 575.1 IP

• theyankeewarrior says:

Hughes will have a nasty changeup by August 2013. Just 3 spring trainings away!

• Steve H says:

Despite Betances’ limited season due to injury, in his playoff start he will have thrown more innings this season than Joba threw in his career in the minors.

/Stunted development’d

• theyankeewarrior says:

2008: A year of wasted player development. But I can’t say I would have done it any differently if I was the one in charge.

Hughes/IPK/Joba were most certainly rushed into the big leagues. And in the nastiest division in MLB, to make matters worse.

16. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Ivan Nova the stopper. Wow, how times have changed.

17. Mike Axisa says:

What the hell, Brett?

18. theyankeewarrior says:

Laughing my ass off at Gardner on Gameday. He, ManRam, and Jorge are the only three guys who would take 3 fastballs for a K.

19. Greg says:

Well gentlemen, we need a stop today. Going into Texas on a losing skid doesn’t help matters

20. Yank the Frank says:

Oh captain, my captain…

21. Cy Pettitte says:

Can Wiggy give us a break already?

22. Not Tank the Frank says:

THE FUCKIGN ORIOLES!!!

Had to get that out.

23. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Productive first inning. Now they have seen what he is throwing.

24. theyankeewarrior says:

BherHeheSsoNN says TAKE THAT IVAN!

25. Greg says:

Now as I said at the beginning of the series, this team is now full of confidence that they can sweep the Yankees, especially since they knocked the ace over last night. Buck’s got them believing in themselves, either through motivation or fear. And it seems to be working.

26. Jeter shouldn’t have ducked. If that ball hit him he’s safe!

27. Marc says:

Have you tried honey bunches of oats?!?!

28. Cy Pettitte says:

No Aceves and most likely no Marte – oy….

29. STEVIS says:

wow.. what a way to start Gardner 3 called strikes!
    Somebody has to tell him that the Bat is used to hit the damn ball

30. Henry the Horse says:

I don’t know what angers me more, the three game losing streak, or the redundancy of the Liberty Medical commercials! I can’t keep the “mute” button close enough.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I completely agree. Nothing against diabetes or old women with diabetes, but it’s gotten to the point of ridiculousness with how often that commercial is played; it seems to lead off every break.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Oops. I didn’t mean the “nothing against diabetes” part. Obviously diabetes sucks.

• Henry the Horse says:

I agree completely. The commercial promotes something that is essential, which makes you feel guilty for thinking, “I wish you would just shut down!”

31. Mike Axisa says:

At leave Nova’s getting the inside corner to lefties as well.

32. That’s a lot of fly balls, Mr. Nova. But an out’s an out.

• theyankeewarrior says:

Not that he’s doing this on purpose, but it’s always good to make guys drive the ball to LCF/CF with Grandy and Gardy out there.

33. seimiya says:

Andy getting scouting reports on the AA hitters?

Seriously, I love him so much.

/Bexy’d.

34. theyankeewarrior says:

More luck for A-Rod

35. Bryan says:

Hey so I am at work and am going to listen on the radio. What in the world is this other station via mlb tv that I can listen to the game from? Not John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman??

36. theyankeewarrior says:

Time for Lance’s first HR in pinstripes?

37. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Good sign, Yankees strike first – in getting a hit.

38. Bryan says:

Bergesen is actually hitting 90 on the gun? Watch out Yanks…this guy is throwing heat.

39. Cy Pettitte says:

Javy, AJ and Moseley = playoff preview?

40. Magnus Stultus says:

Damn it , offense ! It’s Bergesen… Berg…who?

41. PaulF says:

Nothing gets Cliff Lee healthy faster than facing the Yankees.

• Greg says:

Cliff Lee has struggled of late. I would’ve liked to face him

• Jose the Satirist says:

Yeah, Cliff Lee has really killed the Yanks this year and throughout his career. A real World burner.

• Thomas says:

In his career Cliff Lee has faced the Yankees 11 times and has a 4.81 ERA with a 1.44 WHIP and 7 K/9.

This season his ERA is 4.11 in 2 games against the Yankees with a 1.11 WHIP and 7.6 K/9.

Last season WS, he has a 2.81 ERA with a WHIP of 1 and 7.3 K/9. Though in his 2nd start gave up 5 runs and 10 baserunners in 7 IP.

Cliff Lee is great and I would if prefer the Yankees never faced him again, but he isn’t exactly the Yankee killer everyone makes him out to be.

42. Greg says:

Holy crap Nova’s going fast

43. Magnus Stultus says:

I really blame the Yankees three games losing streak on Mike Axisa. Ever since those morbid pictures of dead birds were put on the game thread, we haven’t really done well! I think the ornithological Gods are none too please about it.

44. Jose Canseco the Truth says:

Novagold!

45. theyankeewarrior says:

Brian Roberts got out twice in a row? Nova must have his A-game on today for that to occur!!!!

46. Guest says:

I-VAN No-VA clapclap…clapclapclap.

47. Guest says:

All of my general anti-small ball tendencies go out the window with Cervelli at the plate.

48. Not Tank the Frank says:

Damn that was a GREAT jump.

49. Cy Farnsworth says:

Not a great jump, but whatever gets the job done.

50. Bryan says:

Granderson with a steal? What in the world? This isn’t 2009!

51. It'sATarp says:

well cervelli did his job by not making contact with the ball…

52. Steve O. says:

Use your BABIP magic, Frankie.

53. Mike Axisa says:

Oh yeah, great job Cervelli, not getting the run in from scoring position. Shut up, Kay.

54. Hummingbird S. says:

good job Cervelli..

55. Mike Axisa says:

Dammit Brett. Dammit to hell.

• Cy Farnsworth says:

1) I’m OK with Garnder trying to get to 3rd with one out. Baltimore needed 2 completely perfect throws to get him, but most of the time he’s safe there.

2) Actually, looking at the replay, he probably was safe.

56. Cy Pettitte says:

BG stretching for three not the best idea, but I’ll take the run

57. Hummingbird S. says:

that was not cool

58. Cy Farnsworth says:

Gardner had no chance at 3rd, perfect relay by Baltimore.

Hell, I’ll take an RBI double though.

59. Bryan says:

Michael Kay has one thing going for him…he is not Joe Buck.

60. Guest says:

First out at third, less than awesome. Run scoring double is nice and it must have been fun to watch.

61. Magnus Stultus says:

Nice try Gardner !

62. YanksFan in MA says:

Sterling is falling all over himself applauding Cervelli there. Said, well you can’t get a hit that way, but you can move the runner over. Gee, I thought the point of baseball was to score runs, not move one base at a time.

63. RalphieD says:

most perfect cut-off execution you could have…and it looks like he might of still been safe

64. BadaBling says:

That was close, it woulda been a single for a Molina.

65. Steve O. says:

Brett Gardner’s getting a little more aggresive. While being selective at the same time.

.:Head Explodes:.

66. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Man, love Jeter but he is just horrible at the plate this year.

67. It'sATarp says:

Jeter is such a good magician..making himself disappear like that

68. Jose the Satirist says:

Good thing we scored. I didn’t want the Orioles to start to gain confidence as the underdogs.

69. Bryan says:

Well at least we got the runner in. Hopefully Nova can continue to pitch well because we sure do need it. But I could really go for a Derek Jeter cheapie right about now…

70. MattG says:

Exhibit #1,945,722 why IR, by itself, would lead to more longer games. No one even argued that call.

• Guest says:

I think that instant replays on tag plays would change the game immensely.

Anecodatally, it feels like there are a lot of plays where the ball beats the runner, the fielder catches it and makes a quick tag, the hitter FEELS out…and then you see the instant replay and realize he’s safe. Happens all the time.

It would be a huge change and there would be many more runs scored.

• Steve O. says:

Heh.

It would be a huge change and there would be many more runs scored.

Meh, not really. The umps are actually pretty accurate. It’s not like they’re right only 80% of the time.

• Guest says:

I probably should not have been so absolute in my statement. And I do feel like the umps are right a lot on plays at first and the vast majority of strike/ball calls.

But I don’t think they’re that great at the tag plays at the bases (they seem to be more on the money on tag plays at home plate). Moreover, they seem to be wrong in one direction way more than the other (safe, rather than out).

• Steve O. says:

Really? I think it’s closer to 50-50.

• Mr. Sparkle says:

Especially tag plays. They require an umpire to be in the right position to make the call. He has to try to predict what spot that will be before the play is made and actually be able to get into that position without interfering with the play. It’s not easy and a second set of eyes (instant replay) would only benefit them, the teams and the fans. Everyone wins.

• Zack says:

“It’s not like they’re right only 80% of the time.”

“Study reveals MLB umpires missed 20 percent of close calls over 184-game span”

• Steve O. says:

On ‘close calls,’ that’s the key phrase. Also, a ‘close call’ is vague, what makes it a close call? 230 ‘close calls’ isn’t a big enough sample to represent all umpires.

When I said 80% I was referring to all calls, not ‘close calls.’

• Zack says:

I hope it’s above 80% for all calls, it should be 95%.

In that ~180 game stretch they blew 20% of close calls, which was 1.3 a game. That shouldn’t happen, and if they can’t make the call then replay should.

• Mr. Sparkle says:

I don’t think it would make a huge difference in the amount of runs scored. It’s not often they blow more than one, maybe two calls a game…if any. I’m strongly in favor of instant replay being expanded, but I wouldn’t expect it to impact the game much beyond getting some badly blown calls reversed…and there’s been plenty of them this year. Still, when taken as a percentage, it’s minuscule, and not enough to drastically impact leaguewide scoring numbers.

• FIPster Doofus says:

If games have to be longer in order for calls to be correct, then so be it.

71. Cy Pettitte says:

Kay noticing the gum on BG’s shoe….so random

72. Doug says:

With one more out, Jeter’s OPS will amazingly drop below .700

73. Cy Farnsworth says:

Would that be the Montreal Expos?

74. bexarama says:

Easiest trivia answer ever, Expos. (Unless I’m wrong in which case I will look dumb. :X)

75. Guest says:

Seriously, everyone gets dropped in the lineup. It happens to everyone. Im not saying that Jeter’s sustained level of mediocre play this season necessitates a drop in the lineup (we’d be better if we did it, but I could leave with the fact that we won’t this year).

But if we are looking at a sub .700 OPS in June of 2011 in a lineup with a bunch of guys who can hit, Jeter can’t be the one or two hitter anymore, right?

• Guest says:

live* not leave*

• Magnus Stultus says:

Would the Yankees be better off with Jeter not hitting first or second ? If the answer is yes, I would be incline to move his ass to lower parts of the lineup.

• Guest says:

Given that you want your best hitters near the top of your lineup and given that Jeter is closer to Cervelli in OPS than anyone else in the lineup today (fascinating stuff), then it would seem they would be better of dropping him in the lineup.

• Magnus Stultus says:

It’s a very sound assertion or suggestion. I think it will come down to the human elements part of it. I don’t know how it will effect the clubhouse dynamics and Jeter’s ‘leadership’ role on this team. Realistically, I just don’t see Joe G pulling the trigger on it this season.

76. Cy Pettitte says:

too close for comfort Ivan

77. Yank the Frank says:

Thanks God balls to right do not seem to be carrying.

78. theyankeewarrior says:

Ok, yeah, I’m ready for the deep fly balls to stop now.

79. Not Tank the Frank says:

For a guy who gets a lot of GB Nova sure leaves his fastball up in the zone a lot.

80. Hummingbird S. says:

Beautiful pitch.

81. Erica says:

Hey guys… joining you for some of the game. I really hope we don’t get swept by the Orioles. Honestly, it’s embarrassing. Also, I’m sure someone else has said what I’ve said but I am wa-a-a-a-ay too lazy to scroll up and read.

82. Cy Farnsworth says:

I honestly had no idea that Nova had such a good curveball.

I was unconvinced of his big league potential, but in his short MLB stint he’s shown that he’s got the stuff to stick in a good rotation. It’s just a question of consistency.

83. shawnhunter says:

Watching the MASN feed, only one replay of the Gardner play, yet countless references to it. So annoying when it was that close, but I can’t say that I blame them.

84. Still a lot of fly balls, Mr. Nova. Still outs. But eventually he’s gonna get burned if he doesn’t get that fastball lower in the zone.

85. FIPster Doofus says:

Nova’s picking up his teammates in a big way so far. Time for them to return the favor and score some runs off this scrub.

• Cy Farnsworth says:

In their defense, Bergesen looks very sharp so far.

• Not Tank the Frank says:

I don’t think so at all. He’s benefiting from calls outside the zone (as is Nova) and has shown an average fastball and an average at best change. Yankee offense is slumping a bit these last few games.

But then again we sure do love to disagree.

86. This NY Quits commercial bothers me every time I see it. Poor little kid.

87. Erica says:

That quit smoking commercial makes me cry on the inside, a little.

88. Not Tank the Frank says:

Ok…let’s please remind Brad Bergesen why he’s put up such stellar numbers this season.

89. Hummingbird S. says:

that was just awful Tex..

90. Guest says:

He is locked in.

91. bexarama says:

Kay is pessimistic about things that would have hypothetically happened in 1994.

92. Bryan says:

The first pitch to Cano. On gamecast it looked a good distance out of the zone. How in the world was that a strike?

93. 28 this year says:

the ump is giving the outside corner. Gameday has some called strikes in the other batter’s box.

94. Damix says:

Nova profiles best as a reliever, looks to easy to spot 2nd/3rd time through

95. Magnus Stultus says:

Let’s say everyone is healthy, can anyone see Nova getting a start in the playoff ? Or, is he even assure of a playoff roster ?

96. Not Tank the Frank says:

Nick’s knee is not feeling well at all.

97. theyankeewarrior says:

Is Bergesen a strikeout pitcher? What is with all the swings and misses?

98. Nick pulled a Rodman. Teh flop!

99. CBean says:

what happened to working the count, guys.

100. Erica says:

Jeter – you KNOW he’s got an edge!

101. Bryan says:

47 pitches through 4. 0 walks and only 2 hits. Can’t help but be happy with that type of performance. While I am not saying Nova pitches like him…that is Cliff Lee like numbers. Just don’t throw balls/

• Surely you’re not talking about the offense of the Fightin’ Bucks! I was told they’re a gritty and gutty bunch that has too much confidence to lose to the Yankees. They have nothing to lose!

102. bexarama says:

Wow, he was ridiculously out

103. Hummingbird S. says:

another bad call against the Yankees..

104. aj says:

I know everybody loves football except me but is it necessary to talk football during a Yankee game??

105. Not Tank the Frank says:

Yup…this is how it starts.

106. pat says:

Thanks Frankie.

107. Cy Farnsworth says:

Good thing that we have a defensive ace to backup Jorge.

108. Yup, Moeller can’t be any better than this whiz.

109. pat says:

Wow, what a douche. Who swings 3-0?

110. PaulF says:

That should’ve been a solo shot.

111. NYY-SWISH says:

I think this has been glossed upon previously, if only briefly, but is something up with Cano? Is it me or does he not seem himself of late? Knowing his tendencies to streak and chase pitches outside the zone every now and then, I’m hoping that he’ll be back to shooting lasers before the playoffs make their rounds in the Bronx. Maybe he’s just tired?

112. Mike Axisa says:

It was only a matter of time before one of those deep fly balls left the yard.

113. Hummingbird S. says:

that’s impressive opposite field power. And with the help from the umps they get the lead.

114. aj says:

I thought a “cookie” was a Sterling term

115. Cy Farnsworth says:

Nova didn’t leave any pitches up the zone when A-Rod was out.

Just sayin’.

• Greg says:

Also the offense seemed to be scoring runs when Arod was out.

I still think it’s ridiculous, but now I’m starting to wonder

116. Not Tank the Frank says:

That’s pretty amazing he hit that out.

117. Bryan says:

Is that an ER?

118. Marc says:

Jake Taylor: [Vaughn is lamenting the long home run he gave up] That ball wouldn’t have been out of a lot of parks.
    Rick Vaughn: Name one.
    Jake Taylor: Yellowstone?

119. Ten bucks says Swish is out of the game next inning.

120. Cy Farnsworth says:

I’m getting really sick of Brian Roberts.

• theyankeewarrior says:

According to the Yankees, it’s okay that Brian Roberts hits like he’s Pete Rose on steroids when they play vs. him because he is a first ballot HOFer who you can only hope to contain.

121. Not Tank the Frank says:

Girardi: Well, Markakis was 1-2 lifetime against Ivy and Wigginton was 0-2 so the numbers were really in our favor there.

122. Chip says:

The Orioles announcers are talking about how they put Markakis on for the double play……oy

123. Joe Girardi is truly lost.

124. Nice strikeout, Ivan. Now, show up offense.

125. Cy Pettitte says:

He made Wiggy look stupid, I enjoyed that very much

126. aj says:

Ty wigginton looks like private pyle from full metal jacket.

127. It'sATarp says:

the offense has been pissing me off in the last few game

128. Hummingbird S. says:

can we get the best offense in the majors back, please?

129. Cy Farnsworth says:

Cervelli meant to ground out weakly to first? Really, Michael?

130. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

I love pitchers with 5+ ERA’s. They are an enigma.

131. Cy Pettitte says:

Cervelli making himself useful

132. Magnus Stultus says:

Darth Helmet is all grit !

133. Cy Farnsworth says:

What, no “LOOK OUT!”?

You’re slipping, Kenny…

134. Hummingbird S. says:

If I were Bergesen I’d walk Bret so I could face Mr. GIDP.

135. Not Tank the Frank says:

Unfuckingbelievable

136. Cy Farnsworth says:

Oh come on.

137. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Who needs runs?

138. RalphieD says:

dont hit so hard gardner..

139. theyankeewarrior says:

OK, enough with the offensive struggles. Time to wake the fuck up.

140. Greg says:

This losing streak has gotten to their heads

141. Jose the Satirist says:

And that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

142. Who needs the A-lineup? They’re just the Orioles!

143. Guest says:

BABIP not our friend the last couple of games.

144. The Fightin’ Bucks will NOT be the first team to sweep the Yanks at the new stadium. Just keep repeating that, and it will come true.

145. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Looking over the Yankees season, 3 Runs scored seems to be the magic number.

While there are some games that this does not hold true, when the Yankee score 3 or less, they lose; 4 runs plus, they win.

146. bob says:

hard to watch this team

147. Hey so it’d be pretty cool if some runs could be scored by the home team.

148. So Nova “threw at” Bautista. Will he “throw at” Adam Jones?

149. Cy Farnsworth says:

CH-AD MOEL-LER

*clap**clap**clap**clap**clap*

150. Cy Pettitte says:

oh my god Cervelli, please go

151. Not Tank the Frank says:

Where did Cervelli NOT learn to block balls in the dirt with his pads?

152. Mike Axisa says:

Just go away, Frankie. Go back to Trenton.

153. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

I don’t care what Baseball Tonight says, the 2010 Yankees are the most fundamentally sound team in baseball.

154. pat says:

How about fuckin blocking it Frankie?

155. bob says:

here comes the big two out hit

156. MEANWHILE…

Moeller twiddles thumbs in the Yankee bullpen.

157. BadaBling says:

Cmon Nova!!! Strike this fool out!

158. Did I just hear a sneeze in the YES booth?

159. Marc says:

Nice rack behind the ondeck guy

160. Cy Farnsworth says:

Derek Jeter?

That guy’s got an edge.

161. Cy Pettitte says:

Ok now get Nova the win

162. Hummingbird S. says:

Captain being useful! Yay!

163. Jose the Satirist says:

Anyone who knows how to use B-ref: Have the Yankees(or any other team) ever come back down 1 run with 4 innings to go?

164. Not Tank the Frank says:

Too bad Brad Bergesen and the Oriole bullpen are UNHITTABLE!

165. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

If we can get Nova the win today, maybe he’ll donate it to CC Sabathia?

166. theyankeewarrior says:

I’d like to knock Bergesen out of this game, but I’m not sure if I want to feel the wrath of the BALTIMORE ORIOLES BULLPEN!!!!!!

167. Chip says:

Well, at least the Captain put a decent charge into that one

168. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

The fact that Bergesen has made it through five is frustrating enough.

169. BadaBling says:

Will the real Derek Jeter please stand up!!? Nice drive Jete but your edge didn’t help you this time!

170. Hummingbird S. says:

Pretty play by Markakis, unfortunately.

171. Kevin Long needs to put together a slideshow called “The Changeup, and How to Hit It.”

172. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Shear offensive dominance.

173. A-Rod wants that 0-1 pitch back.

174. Andrew says:

Seriously fuck John Sterling

175. Cy Farnsworth says:

Wow, A-Rod looks frustrated.

176. Chip says:

Damn, I thought that was out off the bat

177. BadaBling says:

I love watching the best team in baseball get mowed down by the 5th starter on the worst team.

178. theyankeewarrior says:

FUCK JOHN STERLING. And fuck Alex’s BABIP lately.

179. esteban says:

AHHHH C’mon it’s Brad Bergesen. I’m not panicking in the slightest, but this is very annoying.

• theyankeewarrior says:

You shouldn’t have to announce that you’re not panicking while posting about how the fucking Yankees can’t get anything going vs. the worst pitching staff you can face in MLB.

It’s fucking annoying as all hell.

180. Adam says:

All I want for Rosh Hashana is back-to-back Yankee extra base hits…

181. Jose Canseco the Truth says:

What’s worse than getting swept by the Oriols in September while playing for the division title? What happened to the offense? Is it A-rod effect? will Robbie hit again in 2010?

182. B-Rando says:

This game is starting to get annoying.

183. Ken M says:

I can’t stand to whatch this. Truly frustrating.

184. Adam says:

Another good outing by the kid…any chance he gets the last post season roster spot as a reliever(over Gaudin or Moseley)?

185. Jon says:

This kind of reminds me of the game aganist Jake Westbrook, when Grandy hit that go ahead 2run hr in the 8th…only…Jake Westbrook is better than bergensensen…

186. Donny says:

when was the last time the yanks fielded a team (post all-star break) where none of the 2, 3 or 4 hitters bat at least .270?

187. bob says:

maybe we need to lose 8 in a row to change this line up

188. King of the Troglodytes says:

Remember when the Yanks use to crush pitchers with 5.00+ ERAs?

Yeah, me neither.

189. Magnus Stultus says:

WTF, G, give the homerun sign ! give it ! i want it now!

190. bob says:

maybe we can go to texas and help them get out of losing 8 in row

191. pat says:

D-Robb is a resident of domination.

192. *Dies under the sudden avalanche of trolls*

I would have liked… to have seen.. Montana….

193. BadaBling says:

Can the Yanks come back? Who will play the Hero..? Only 6 outs for them to score…pie perhaps? Stay tuned for some Yankee Magic!

194. nathan says:

Well, about time we have some correction in the walk-offs department.

195. voices says:

do not re-sign jeter!

196. Yank the Frank says:

Let the comeback begin !!!

197. King of the Troglodytes says:

3 hits against a guy with a 1.50 WHIP. Dare I say – UNACCEPTABLE!

198. PhillyMatt says:

“Be careful, things in here don’t react well to bullets, Ryan”

199. seimiya says:

David Robertson is a beautiful human being.

200. Donny says:

obviously, the yanks, padres & rangers should give up any playoff spots they may earn. a losing streak by a division leader in september means you suck and deserve nothing.

201. Magnus Stultus says:

Is anyone concern about Cliff’s back and his subpar Texas stint as far as pursuing him as free agent goes.

202. Robbie is now 1 for his last 1. And this is the part where Swish unloads.

/optimism

203. BadaBling says:

Yea, a basehit! Cmon Swish, 2 run shot please!

204. theyankeewarrior says:

Let me see Thames here

205. Andrew says:

GameDay agrees with Nick Swisher on that one.

206. Cy Farnsworth says:

Very nice pitch. Looked outside, but that’s too close to take.

At least it was Bergesen’s last.

• theyankeewarrior says:

Yeah, but it was !!90mph!! so by the time he has a chance to recognize the location, it’s already in the catcher’s glove.

207. Greg says:

I hate umps

208. Jose Canseco the Truth says:

I am not sure how many runs the Yankees scored in Nova’s previous starts, but I dont think it was many. Anyone have that stat?

209. Too close to take, Swish.

210. I’ll be honest. I agree with leaving in Berkman. Girardi doing his “faith in his players” thing. Elvis will leave the building.

211. Mike Axisa says:

Where the hell is Thames?

212. theyankeewarrior says:

Honest question: Is Marcus Thames hurt?

213. Hummingbird S. says:

what an awful swing

214. Cy Farnsworth says:

And that’s why you don’t leave Berkman in to face the lefty.

215. I guess Girardi is slumping too.

216. Steve H says:

Come on Lance, become a True Yankee.

217. Cy Pettitte says:

time for Mr. Thames to take a leisurely stroll around the park

218. Mike Axisa says:

Oh, so now you put Thames in. And of course Showalter brings a righty in. If only we could have seen this coming.

219. Bryan says:

Berkman or Grandy vs lefty. Neither good.

220. UncleArgyle says:

Berkman is so F’ing bad it drives me crazy.

221. Cy Farnsworth says:

Seems to me like they should’ve pinch hit Thames for Berkman, because then Buck would’ve gone to Johnson one batter earlier and we could’ve kept Grandy in the game.

/fallacyofthepredeterminedoutcome’d

• Hummingbird S. says:

he wouldnt have been able to go to Johnson since Hendrickson had just gotten in the game and had not faced a batter.

222. Hummingbird S. says:

Buck kinda schooled JoeG. there.

223. Doesn’t Thames actually have more home runs against righties this year than lefties?

224. Greg says:

He would have gone to Johnson immediately if Thames pinchhit for Berkaman. THere was nothing Joe could do.

225. I know Joe is better than this, but he’s had an awful series.

226. Cy Pettitte says:

simply Thamesian

227. Cy Farnsworth says:

Thames with a single.

Girardi’s a genius!

228. Bryan says:

And now it falls upon the Cisco kid.

229. Mike Axisa says:

Cervelli absolutely can not bat here.

230. BadaBling says:

Pinch hit asshole!

231. voices says:

here comes the slugger cervelli!

232. esteban says:

On field delay, que paso?

233. Cy Farnsworth says:

Is Frankie Cervelli’s batting music actually “Take Me Out”?

Because that’s just awesome on so many levels.

• Cy Farnsworth says:

Between his choice of music and his choice to dribble the first pitch down to 3rd, I really think that Frankie’s trying to tell Girardi something…

• Not Tank the Frank says:

That is seriously unbelievable. I didn’t notice that but I haven’t stopped laughing! Sweet, sweet irony!

234. Magnus Stultus says:

Where the fuck is Po ? Or, anyone who can hit better than Cervelli!

235. Andrew says:

Epic epic epic Girardi fail

236. pat says:

Haha, thanks Frankie!

237. FIPster Doofus says:

What the fuck, Girardi?

238. Bryan says:

Where in the world is Jorge?

239. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Hahahah

240. bexarama says:

Girardi, I like you a lot, but I have no idea what you were doing there.

241. BadaBling says:

Are you fucken kidding me right now?

242. Not Tank the Frank says:

Come over to the dark side Girardi lovers!

243. Jose Canseco the Truth says:

well, that sucked..

244. Mike Axisa says:

Jorge better fucking be hurt.

245. I have two whys on that:

1. Why the fuck was Cervelli hitting?
    2. Why the fuck was Cervelli swinging at the first pitch?

246. Will (the other one) says:

Wow. Just…wow.

247. pat says:

Girardi intentionally trying to not score so we can walk off? Little morale booster?

248. Cy Pettitte says:

Anytime you want to go back to Chicago that’s fine with me Joe

249. voices says:

hahahahahaha! the slugger cervelli pulls through again – amazing!

250. Zanath says:

Why in the world was Cervelli allowed to hit there. My God. Do we want to lose this game?

251. Andrew says:

I would make a joke about clearing the pitcher’s spot but Jeter isn’t due up until next inning.

252. It'sATarp says:

What the fuck Girardi…after the last few days i’m done defending you..that was just stupid as FUCK

253. CBean says:

No seriously, where is Jorgie?

254. Cy Farnsworth says:

Seriously, I just have to reiterate that the chorus of Cervelli’s batting music is “I want you…to take me out.”

Please, please get the message Joe.

255. Jerome S says:

I swear I vomited pinstripes watching that garbage inning.

256. loooooooooooooooool if George were still around Girardi would be fired for that inning alone. What an absolute joke. I could manage better than this guy.

257. kosmo says:

Girardi is a monkey´s ass for letting Cervelli hit.God awful baseball.

258. Bryan says:

Only thing I can think of is that Jorge is hurting from the night game last night and that Kearns is not fully healed.

259. BadaBling says:

I’m still shocked, Joey G…WTF?

260. Cy Farnsworth says:

Sorry Ken, we can’t bring in Moeller as a defensive replacement. He’s Joba’s personal bullpen catcher.

/wouldbefunnierifitwasn’tmaybetrue

261. theyankeewarrior says:

Everything I’m hearing on the radio just makes me want to scream more and more.

262. Steve H says:

They should have had CC pinch hit.

263. Jose Canseco the Truth says:

Cervelli the beast with risp. remember that guy? neh

264. pat says:

Cervelli putting on a Montero-esque show back there.

265. Greg says:

I agree. Joe droppped the ball on that one.
    But of course we wouldn’t know if Posada got a hit
    cue Michale Kay

266. CBean says:

We have 3 catchers. Even if Jorgie couldn’t catch today, he could have pinch hit and we could have brought Moeller in. Now I’m worried something is wrong with Jorgie.

267. Please, someone, anyone, defend Girardi’s absolutely fucking retarded loyalty to Cervelli. Please, try.

268. Bryan says:

I still can’t understand all this vitriolic hate for Girardi. We don’t know if therte are extraneous circumstances that are effecting his decisions nor do we know what would have happened had things been different. That said, we are still waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead in record wise that are almost all but guaranteed a playoff spot.

In short, quit your bitching and watch baseball. Chances are very high that Joe Girardi is a hell of a lot smarter than you or me in regards to managing. Winning the World Series in MLB The Show 2010 does not mean shit.

• bexarama says:

It was a really awful move, but that said some of the overreactions are just… yeah.

• No, he’s not. You can have blind loyalty if you want. He does a good job resting the bullpen, but that’s pretty much it. He is simply not a good in-game manager.

• Cy Farnsworth says:

I don’t make any claims to being smarter than Girardi, and I don’t even think that Joe is a particularly bad manager.

But with expanded rosters, a 3rd catcher, and Posada on the bench there is just no explanation for letting Cervelli hit there. None. It was a horrible, indefensible call.

• Jose Canseco the Truth says:

You maybe taking it a little personal. This is what fans do. JG makes a bonehead move by not pinching Posada and we get to analyze it. We dont know, but Jorgie should have pinch hit. How can you watch baseball and not bitch?

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

Amen..

Anyone that says they can do x better than y in regards to anything MLB baseball related cannot be taken seriously..

• A.D. says:

When the yanks lose, people get irrationally angry, when they potentially lose 3 straight to a terrible team, this gets worse.

However these types of series likely happen every year, shit happens in 162 games.

269. Dirty Pena says:

Cervelli was 1-1 vs. Jim Johnson. Perfectly good reason to keep him in.

270. BadaBling says:

I convinced Joe wants to lose this game, does he owe Showater some money? That’s the only excuse I can think of.

271. voices says:

please get jeter out of the top of the lineup! he is terrible HIGH STRIKEOUTS and really low obp around .330 !! Man up cashman and do not re-sign this old bum. HE IS DONE! TIME TO TURN THE PAGE

272. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Wow, don’t know which is worse, Cervelli’s hitting or Girardi’s managing.

Luckily, the radio booth is sponsored by Lowe’s and they sell brooms.

Let’s sorry build something together.

273. pat says:

I remember when i wanted Boone Logan dead.

274. Cy Pettitte says:

Boone Logan is synonymous with utter domination

275. Vote: which WB Mason series of commercials do you like better? Stanley, or the Bean Brains?

276. Greg says:

Let’s see if the Yanks bail GIrardi out

277. Hey, so, I feel really bad about all that shit I said about Boone Logan back in April/May.

• A.D. says:

Eh, he legit sucked then, since then he did what everyone wanted to see back them, him pitch at AAA, perform well, and earn a promotion

278. Cy Farnsworth says:

Every time I see that “Pixels” commercial, it just reminds me of Rob Dibble.

279. We seem to have made out in the Melky for Logan trade. If you try to tell me there were other players in that deal I will plead ignorance. We are at war with Eurasia!

280. Not Tank the Frank says:

Ok ok ok. Top of the order needs to score some runs. This team needs a win after the way this game has gone.

281. Adam says:

So wait…you mean people overreact to a handful of pitching performances in April in figuring out how effective a player can be?

282. Jeter hits a homerun and gets a curtain call. Ready? Set? Go.

283. Guest says:

What effect will it have on Jeter’s contract if he OPS sub .700 and hits sub .260?

Id much rather see him hit .350/.450/.520 the rest of the way and the Yankees have to pay him a lot of money because its not my money; but I wonder how much (if anything) Jeter’s performance is saving them.

• Magnus Stultus says:

I don’t think it will have a lot effect on his contract negotiation at all. He is going to get paid around what he is getting paid now.

284. Not Tank the Frank says:

I sense a Tex message.

285. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Jeter grounds out.

He should just stand there instead of swinging at this point.

286. Yank the Frank says:

I’m feeling nauseous

287. FIPster Doofus says:

Pathetic.

288. pat says:

Awesome inning.

289. theyankeewarrior says:

GOD FUCKING DAMNIIT

290. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Tex with 3 k’s.

I think there is a bet between Tex, ARod and Jeter on who can have the highest average without going over .270

291. Am I the only one who thinks “The Town” will be “The Departed” Lite?

292. BadaBling says:

I liked the O’s alot better under Trembley. This game…

293. Bryan says:

Well this game was a team effort. And it took everyone to suck (aside from Nova) to help bring about this loss.

294. It'sATarp says:

can we please stop making excuses for jeter and bat him lower. Move swisher or grandy up depending on the pitcher. i seriously can;t watch anymore of jeter’s at bats uz it’s just getting painful

295. Jose Canseco the Truth says:

I would like to know how many balls Jeter actually got out of the infield during his current slump. I remember him flying out a few times over the weekend and i know he jacked one a few weeks ago maybe. But it seems like his every out is to short or second. Does anyone have a stat on how many balls he hit into the outfield in the past 6-8 weeks? I would like to know the infield/outfield splits.
    Its almost torturous to watch him right now.

296. Greg says:

THe Yankees Took the Orioles lightly and they are about to be swept by them.

Half of theat 8 game winning streak is now in the drain.

297. Roy Munson's Rent says:

I think we all need to calm down and pop in the 2009 World Series DVD…Hey look! Damon’s stealing 2 bases! Oh, happier times…

298. voices says:

jeter made an out? so shocked. DO NOT RE-SIGN HIM CASHMAN! The team is already crippled by OLD-ROD’s ridiculous contract!

299. Magnus Stultus says:

I need to talk to my good friend Cannabis if the Yankees lose this game.

300. swisher's fauxhawk says:

Oh for God sake’s Derek.

301. That would be some boos.

302. FIPster Doofus says:

Great throw, sir.

303. iYankee(next generation from Apple) says:

Damn, it must be clinic day at the Turn2 Foundation.

304. You guys, stop complaining. Baseball is too complicated for poor peons like us to understand. We must accept that everyone on the Yankees are simply smarter than us, and unquestionably agree with everything they do.

Thank you, Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog, for opening my eyes to my prior mistakes.

305. Cy Pettitte says:

I’d love to see Jeter sitting down at the negotiating table with a straight face asking for 15-20m a season for the next 4-5 years

306. I doubt that there were 44,000 people in the stadium.

307. Slappy White says:

I just got in from work. I guess I havent missed much. Especially offense

308. Roy Munson's Rent says:

Hi, I’d like an order of pie, please.

309. Guest says:

Has anyone noticed anything materially different with Jeter’s swing? Approach? I know he is swinging a lot more at pitches out of the zone leading to weaker contact, but is there something else going on other than approach?

Is the bat-speed any different? Pitch recognition issues? Anything that scouts would look at as age related skills drop-off?

• DJH says:

I think his bat speed is going. I have noticed him foul off a ton of pitches towards RF that he would normally hit fair and I also notice him roll over towards 3rd and SS which would indicate to me he is trying to cheat and speed up his swing.

So I think it’s mostly a bat speed/timeing thing.

• It'sATarp says:

• It'sATarp says:

Thank you swisher. I seriously thought the game was done after the 8th, where the team showed no signs of life

310. Tubby says:

Pours a glass of ice cold milk and polishes my sterling silver pie server to a mirror finish.

It’s go time.

311. I’m ready for Clutch-Rod. Or the MVP. Or for something Swishalicious. One run, guys. One run ain’t so hard.

312. The bullpen dominance is nice to see.
    I want some pie …

313. Yank the Frank says:

Alright, I’m all in. Let the comeback begin!!!

314. bonestock94 says:

VOMIT ON MY SWEATA ALREADY

315. bob says:

1 2 3 9inn coming up

316. theyankeewarrior says:

This closer is electric. I don’t see how anyone could ever get to him.

317. pat says:

Arod won’t let us puss out like this.

318. Magnus Stultus says:

AJ, stop punching the clubhouse door for a sec, ready the fucking pie!

319. Tubby says:

It’s time to musk up.

320. Jose Canseco the Truth says:

Who the Hero?

321. Not Tank the Frank says:

This is a good team this is a good team this is a good team this is a good team…

322. Cy Pettitte says:

If they can’t get a run in maybe we should start giving the bullpen guys so AB’s, they been pretty hot lately

323. Greg says:

remember wieters has a great arm

324. Andy says:

Why the fuck are you pinch running for Alex? Is he hurt or not? If he’s not hurt, then he’s plenty fast. If he is hurt, then dont play him until he’s 100%. We need him in October.

325. Guest says:

Stop it, Joe. Stop it. I seriously fear for my remote. Girardi has done this so consistently with A-Rod this year, that Im starting to think he will do it in the playoffs.

And if he does, and Tex gets IBB before Nunez/Pena in extra-innings.

Me = not happy.

326. Adam says:

Two hard hit balls…good sign.

327. voices says:

wish jeter gets to bat and gets plunked in the head (like really hard) with the bases loaded. career over, game over, yanks win!

328. Cy Farnsworth says:

PIE!!!

329. Guest says:

SWISH!!!!!!

330. swisher's fauxhawk says:

SWISH!

331. RalphieD says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

332. FIPster Doofus says:

OH MY FUCKING GOD

333. bonestock94 says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

334. Cy Pettitte says:

Swisher sweets, oh my fucking god, so good!

335. Yank the Frank says:

Swishalicious!!!!

336. Chip says:

DAAAAAAAAAAAA SWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH

337. bexarama says:

Thank you friggin’ Jesus.

338. theyankeewarrior says:

MY OPTIMISM PAYS OFFFFFF!!!!!

339. kunaldo says:

PIE!!!

340. Jack says:

Fuck. Yes.

341. Zooboy says:

Had it all the way.

342. Not Tank the Frank says:

Thank God. That is UUUUUUGE!

343. esteban says:

In play run(s) is such a pleasant sight.

344. Bryan says:

OK…stop yourwhining.

345. Frigidevil says:

Swishtastic!

346. BadaBling says:

I love you Joe, SWISHER SWEET!

347. Jose Canseco the Truth says:

Yes, Swish loves pie!

348. Greg says:

Our savior

349. Tubby says:

Finally…Burnett gets to do something he’s good at.

350. DJH says:

A-Rod + Swish!

351. A.D. says:

and don’t have to jump

352. bonestock94 says:

SHOW ME IN THE PIE MASN, DONT BE SORE LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!

353. S.King says:

berkman just said, “you jerk”

354. Adam says:

Suck it haters!

355. Thomas says:

Thank you Swisher for reminding me just how awesome you are; I had forgotten.

I hope the pie is rocky road ice cream.

356. FIPster Doofus says:

Pie! Fuck yeah

357. RalphieD says:

OH SNAP…KIM JONES GOT IT GOOOOOOOOOOOD

358. Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

Woo!

If you were here Ross from Jersey, I would give you a hug.

359. Magnus Stultus says:

Pardon me, Ladies and Gentlemen for a sec. But ,Effffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffing Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

360. Zanath says:

Dear Nick Swisher,

Thank you for saving me a night of despair.

Love,

Zanath

361. Not Tank the Frank says:

We can all be friends again :-)

362. Cy Pettitte says:

Swisher walkoffs are just that much better

363. esteban says:

Thank Mo for Swisher to stop save the season (and more importantly, stop the complaining.

364. Andrew says:

Wait was Nunez the pinch runner the whole time in that inning? John Sterling said it was Greg Golson literally all inning long.

365. FIPster Doofus says:

Swisher saved, Swisher saved, Swisher saved my life tonight

/Elton John’d

366. China Joe says:

Nicky Nails. Who needs two healthy knees anyway?

367. Greg says:

Dare I say, a confidence boost from Nick the Stick

368. UncleArgyle says:

A 2 run Swish for Nick Smasher! About time someone stepped up today!

369. Mr. Sparkle says:

Everybody can step back from the ledge now.

370. Dirty Pena says:

Cue the “playoff preview”

371. Tubby says:

We are all Bucky Gunts tonight.

372. Jerome S says:

8.5 Innings of complete hell, 1/2 inning of complete swishalicious.

Questions: Swish gets the RBIs, Who gets the run? Nunez or Arod?

373. Greg says:

And if Boston can somehow beat Tampa Bay tonight. This whole ordeal becomes obsolete

374. Leo says:

Walk offs have been so rare this year I had almost forgotten how awesome they felt and how funny pies to the face are. Thanks Swish!

375. tom says:

Watched it on Game Cast, and, of course, you don’t know what it looked like coming off the bat. But it just kept carrying.

I may have needed this as much as the team did. Having a rough week, and I really needed a lift. Thanks, Swish.

376. BadaBling says:

Swisher is sweet with the 2 run smash. Way to bail out Giardi there swish!

377. Total Dominication says:

I really love Nick Swisher.

378. Zack says:

Nick Swisher, Troll Conqueror, at your service.

379. cano is the bro says:

walk off homeruns are so refreshing

fuck yea swish

380. seimiya says:

You know, every time he does this, I just feel so, so, SO bad for everything terrible I said in his direction during the ’09 postseason.

<3 swish forever.

381. Captain Jack says:

A-Rod exits the game, the Yankees win…coincidence? I think not. It’s time to bring back Peter Abraham and extra wide press chairs.

382. Concussion symptoms for Posada?

383. bexarama says:

Posada had concussion symptoms. He probably could have pinch-hit anyone but Cervelli, but that explains that.

Feel better Jorge :( :( :(

• Zanath says:

Eek. Well that certainly explains it. Concussions are a bitch. Just ask Joe Mauer. I hope this doesn’t linger nearly as long.

• Not to harp on it but.. with a 3rd catcher, it didn’t have to be Posada. Anyone could have pinch-hit in that spot (Kearns? Curtis?)

• Zanath says:

Well Kearns is pretty banged up as well. Curtis would have been a fine option, though. At least he usually puts on good at bats (or he did when he was up here before). But I guess it’s moot now.

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

One run game in the seventh, maybe he figured they could score at least 1 run in the next couple innings?

• lol, you are a great troll.

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

I’d disagree. I’d say you are someone who quickly overreacts to things.

But you are free to call me a troll, and I am free to respond without taking the bait.

Have a great day Ross.

• No, I can identify a troll quite easily. A troll attacks the person, not the argument. If you want to stalk my comments, fine. It’s quite clear that you are, because you somehow picked my comment out of a myriad of much more outrageous ones and harped on it endlessly. Joe’s moves in the 7th, even with Posada’s injury, were head-scratching and questioned by every single commenter here. You haven’t defended any of Joe’s decisions in the slightest, just dropped in like you know better than all of us. How dare I question the manager and think a mere fan could do a better job!

That, combined with the way you referred to Yankee fans, just makes it clear to me that you’re a fan of some other team who wants to troll RAB. Good for you.

Or maybe you’re just Cervelli’s brother.

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

Actually I did get in late to the game. When I starte going through comments I saw your “I can manage better than Girardi” comment. It rubbed me the wrong way no matter how you meant it.

And I still think you are wrong. Curtis or Kearns have a slightly better chance of getting on base than Cervelli, but then you have no backup catcher if the Yankees tie it which is a distinct possibility in a one run game.

Would you have been happy if Moller came up later and could not have been pinch hit for?

• If it rubbed you the wrong way, fine. You still responded to it like an arrogant prick. You say I overreacted, fine. I’m not the type of person to let someone drop in and talk to me like like I was some doomsday fan acting like the season was ending. It was legitimate criticism echoed by everyone and their mothers.

I still don’t understand your logic. Are you saying they shouldn’t have played for the tie and hope for the best? I thought that was baseball 101. When you’re losing at home, get the game tied first and worry about winning the game later. If Kearns/Curtis came in and got that run in, I would have been perfectly fine with Moeller batting in extra innings. At that point the Yankees would have had a much higher WPA than they ended up having.

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

Depnds of the time of the game. If Girardi had enough confidence that Cervelli plus 2 more innings was enough time to score 1 more run and still have some flexibility in case the game went long then he made a fine decision.

You all were really ripping the hell out of Girardi without forethought, that’s arrogance.

You can continue to call me names, I called you an ass once, if that helps you to compensate, that’s cool.

• I don’t see how you can think that makes any logical sense. Why hold on to a flexibility for a hypothetical situation that may never (and didn’t) happen?

Also, it’s not arrogance, it’s ignorance. There was plenty of forethought involved. Believing one should never be questioned is arrogance.

Don’t try to turn it around and play the victim, either. I didn’t say anything to you, you chose to drop in and both insult and stereotype me based on one comment. If you’re surprised at the reaction I don’t know what to tell you.

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

You hold on because with two outs the upgrade from Cervelli to whoever could have picnh hit wasn’t big enough to outweigh using up a catcher.

And really questioning the call at the time was totally warranted, it was the utter skewering of Girardi that was over the top.

arrogance: “an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions”

I think we’re both guilty of arrogance.

• And for the record, a few posts up I said “I know Joe is better than this, but he’s had an awful series” I have a feeling if you read that first you wouldn’t have said anything ;)

• bexarama says:

Like I said, he could have pinch-hit others. But – whatever. Let’s just hope Posada’s okay.

• For sure…. when I hear concussion, that makes me worry. With how long Morneau and Bay have been out due to concussion and post-concussion symptoms, losing Posada for the same amount of time would be devastating.

• Moshe Mandel says:

But its no longer a slam dunk. Its Curtis (Kearns is hurt) or Cervelli, and using Curtis means you need to put your last catcher in the game. The gap between Curtis and Cervelli is not THAT huge statistically, and Cervelli has hit well for the last week. I woulda gone Curtis, but thats not an awful move at all to stay with Frankie.

• Chris says:

It also means you lose your last outfielder – unless you want to put Pena out there if someone gets hurt. Considering that Swisher just missed a game or two with a bad knee, I wouldn’t be confident in not having a backup for him.

• Chris says:

Wait?!?!?!?!? Are you saying Girardi isn’t the dumbest manager ever in the history of sports? That’s unpossible.

384. Roy Munson's Rent says:

That was, in the words of Jerry Manuel, “Gangsta”.

385. Chip says:

Can we send the people who think the sky is falling back to LoHud now?

386. China Joe says:

Great that Nova got off the hook there. With the way the non-CC starters have been throwing recently, 6 innings and 2 runs feels like an 11-inning shutout.

387. viasistina says:

When will the Yankees figure out that their boutique seats are sorely overpriced? Sitting here looking at entire sections that are almost totally empty.

388. Bryan says:

Said it once and I’ll say it again…

Quit your bitching acting like a know it all. Apparently you knew jack shit.

• esteban says:

there is some good and some bad in this statement. People should not criticize people for some decisions Girardi makes because, yes it’s true that it’s impossible to know all the circumstances and what players are actually available. On the other hand, calling people out like this is not productive.

• Chris says:

Every single time that Girardi has decided not to bring someone in who was an obvious choice to come in (like Posada pinch hitting today), it turns out there is an injury that’s preventing them from playing. It’s happened over a dozen times in the last 3 years, so people should have learned by now. Wait until you hear the details before ripping him.

• esteban says:

I certainly haven’t ripped Girardi. I really trust him. A lot of his moves either end up working out in the short term or the long term, especially his bullpen moves. I think Girardi realizes that the Yankees have room to breathe, and gives guys opportunities to see who he can trust for the playoffs.

• bexarama says:

That. I have no problem with criticizing Girardi’s management or team players. But there’s a way of doing it without being a jackass. But, on the other hand, there’s no point in being a jackass in response to other jackasses.

• Oh my god, get off your high horse. Just because a move ended up working out doesn’t justify it. If Swisher doesn’t hit that home run and we lose would you still have made this post?

389. Guest says:

Thurman Munson time for the magic number counter.

390. Klemy says:

You know what really sucks? My Sporting News app said we lost 2 to 1 when I checked it, only to read this and see it was a walk-off. Then I refresh and they fixed the score to say 3-2. It’s a text roller coaster!

391. voices says:

This should be the playoffs lineup:

LF Gardner
    RF Swisher
    1B Teix
    2B Cano
    3B OLD-ROD
    C Posada
    DH Montero
    CF Granderson
    SS Jeter

392. Adam says:

So…anybody feel bad about killing Girardi? Anyone? Any takers?

• Dirty Pena says:

Colin Curtis could’ve pinch hit…

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Colin Curtis, in 48 ML PAs: 250/313/386. Cervelli, in 384 ML PAs:263/319/330. Is the little extra power that big of differnce to get excited about?

On top of that, you would have to bring in your only healthy catcher, which managers are wont to do.

• Scooter says:

At work, I was tracknig via Gameday, and wondered WTF when I saw Cervelli hit. Someone here pointed out that MAYBE Posada was unavailable.

If not, I just figured there was some screwed up “let’s show confidence in Cervelli” moment. Hope Jorge is OK.. and yeah, don’t mess with concussions

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

If they did, they wouldn’t admit it here. It might make them second guess themselves before doing it tomorrow night.

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

If they did, they wouldn’t admit it here. It might make them second guess themselves think twice before doing it tomorrow night.

FTFM

• It'sATarp says:

Okay so i was wrong when i didn’t have perfect info? It was a rational complaint given the circumstances. I wouldn;t have been mad at girardi had i knew posada was injured. You can’t really fault someone to be pissed that posada was not hitting when they didn’t know he was injured until after the game

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

Depends on what you said. If you ripped Girardi and said he should go to Chicago then you should apologize. If you said something like, “Crap why is Cervelli hitting , I wonder why he’s not being pinch hit for”, then no apology neccessary.

• Are people’s memories really this short? There was more than one questionable move in this game. The Cervelli at-bat was the most glaring, but I guess with a win all is forgiven.

393. BadaBling says:

Jesus on the mainline, tell em whatcha want, Jesus on the mainline…tell em whatcha want! Call em up, call em up!

394. Zanath says:

Lost in the excitement was how great Nova pitched. Made one mistake to Wieters and that was it. And it’s good to see he was actually allowed to finish the 6th inning!