Sep

Gardner gets cortisone shot after MRI reveals inflammation in wrist

Banged up leftfielder Brett Gardner received a cortisone shot in his right wrist today after an MRI revealed some inflammation but no structural damage. “I couldn’t have picked up a bat today,” said the leftfielder, who is out of the lineup for a second straight game.

Gardner has been experiencing discomfort in the wrist since getting hit by a pitch in the Dodgers series (yes, that long ago), though it started to flare up a bit more in Texas this past weekend. There’s still no timetable for his return (though it’s not expected to be long), and in case you’re wondering, he’s hitting just .229 with a .099 ISO since said hit by pitch. Chances are the two are not mutually exclusive.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. PaulF says:

Really hope they don’t have to go into the playoffs without Gardy; he’s so valuable on both defense and offense.

2. larryf says:

Sit the guy for as long as it takes. We must have him in the post-season.

3. Klemy says:

I always loved how the cortisone shot helped with my throwing elbow, but hated when it wore off about 1.5 to 2 months later.

Hopefully this will get him through the season so he can heal properly.

4. Jerome S says:

I hope this means that next season he’ll keep up a .315/420/480 or what have you.

5. BigBlueAL says:

Looks like we might be seeing Golson play RF for all 3 games in Tampa.

Although I wouldnt be surprised to see Thames play RF in one of the games if not the next 2.

6. Mike HC says:

Gardner has clearly worn down as the season has gone on. Considering his size and playing style, I guess it is not that surprising. I really would not be terribly upset if they ended up trading him this off season for a starting pitcher. His value this year is undeniable, but if another team is extremely high on Gardner, I think the Yanks would be smart to pull the trigger.

• nsalem says:

What starting pitcher do you have in mind?

• What starting pitcher, though, do you think
      A.) some other team would be willing to trade for a Brett Gardner-centric package
      B.) will also be an upgrade over the other starting pitcher options we’d consider

That’s the rub. Sure, I can see the other 29 teams being interested in Gardner, but the caliber of pitcher we’d demand in return to give up Gardner for is probably too good to be traded for just Brett Gardner and stuff.

We’ll shop, but finding a match seems highly unlikely. That goes for ALL of our outfielders, btw. The pitchers we want we couldn’t get for just Gardner or Granderson or even Swisher. The pitchers we can get for Gardner or Granderson or Swisher aren’t good enough for us to give up those useful outfielders.

I don’t see it.

• Avi says:

Trades of value for value just don’t happen anymore. The only way you get a good starting pitcher (in a trade) is in a salary dump scenario. That’s why i feel the yanks REALLY missed the boat on Halladay and Oswalt. i would’ve used Joba as the centerpiece in a trade for them. Joba was more desirable then any one player the blue jays got for halladay, and was at least as desirable as Happ when houston traded Oswalt. And btw thank god seatlle turned us down on montero for cliff lee. Montero for three months of Cliff Lee, what were they thinking??

• bexarama says:

Agreed all around.

I mean, the only pitcher I can see that we might be interested in that might be moved, and we might be able to get for a Gardner-centered package, is Greinke. Maybe. And that’s a long shot, and as awesome as Greinke is, he’d be a pretty big risk. IMO.

(If I’m forgetting some terribly obvious pitcher that might be traded, let me know?)

• nsalem says:

Gardner,Granderson and Swisher are under control for the
        next two years at around 20 mil total which will probably
        be about what Crawford is going to go for. This is an outfield
        that we can win with, I don’t see the point in breaking up
        such valuable and economical pieces.

• ZZ says:

I know, right. If he was only a couple inches taller the pitch would have hit him in the ribs and not the wrist.

• Chris says:

Gardner has clearly worn down as the season has gone on.

No. He hasn’t. People keep saying it, but repeating it doesn’t make it true.

He had a bad 10 game stretch in early August, and a very good stretch in June. Other than those two times, he’s basically the same player the entire year.