Sep

Open Thread: All about A-Rod

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

Let’s talk about Alex Rodriguez a little bit. He hit his 30th homerun of the season last night, a total most of us thought he had no chance of reaching just two weeks ago. A five homeruns in six days binge helped get him there, and he’s now posted the most consecutive 30+ HR, 100+ RBI seasons in baseball history (13, and 14 overall). Alex has only been with the Yankees for seven years now, not much in the grand scheme of things, but let’s see how he stacks up in the team’s record books…

bWAR: 40.9, should jump into the top ten sometime in 2012
OBP: .394, outside the top ten by .001
SLG: .560, fourth best behind Babe Ruth (.711), Lou Gehrig (.632), and Joe DiMaggio (.579)
OPS: .954, fifth best behind Ruth (1.195), Gehrig (1.080), DiMaggio (.977), and Mickey Mantle (.977)
HR: 268, seventh best but could finish as high as third behind Ruth (659) and Mantle (536)
K: 838, sixth most with everyone above him well over 1,000
OPS+: 147, one point behind Reggie Jackson for sixth best
HBP: 80, fifth most and he should eventually settle in behind Derek Jeter (152) for second most all-time
WPA: +26.0, fifth best and within shouting distance of Yogi Berra (+32.4) for second
WPA/LI: +28.3, third most behind Mantle (+94.4 (!!!)) and Jeter (+32.7)

At $168,389,252 in salary, I’m willing to bet A-Rod‘s second only to Derek in that department as well. Here’s the link to the full leaderboards if you’re interested. It’s pretty amazing to see where he ranks among the all-time great Yankees despite being in pinstripes for just seven years. I’m glad he got to 30 bombs this season, but I’d be even happier if he manages to find those 40 missing points of on-base percentage next season.

* * *

Anyway, here’s your open thread for this wet, rainy evening in the Tri-State Area. The Mets are playing the Brewers, and according to my guide there will be another game on the MLB Network, but the teams are TBA. With any luck it’ll be the Padres-Cubs, the only game going on tonight with any playoff implications. I suppose it could be Royals-Rays, which would obviously impact the Yankees, but meh. Chat about whatever, just don’t be a dick.

Oh, and I need some mailbag questions, so send them in using the Submit A Tip box in the sidebar. I’ve gotten one so far this week, and it’s not even about the Yankees.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

Alex Rodriguez is good at baseball.

Also: in last night’s thread, we talked about the worst games of the season. That sucked. So, favorite games of the season? I’ll be back later to share mine. :D

2. Carlosologist says:

I’m watching the Mets as a form of humor. I’m thinking about going with my dad to attend the end of the season. It works because I think there’s hardly going to be anybody there. Which means:

ALL THAT FUCKING FOOD IS MINE!

3. Any word on rookie hazing yet? I mean, there are a bunch this year, too…

4. JobaWockeeZ says:

Wow for the hate A-Rod gets I’m surprised that HBP is just a bit over half of what Jeter got.

5. Time to catch up on TV shows. First up: Fringe!

Also, if any of you geeky types haven’t set up XBMC media center yet… do it. Right now.

6. Carcillo says:

I would love for the Yankees to finish with a better record than the Twins, just so that we get to see the rather-common irony of a better team W-L wise opening up the playoffs on the road.

7. MikeD says:

Those extra forty OBP points should return next season, or at least most of them. Unlike Jeter, A-Rod has shown he’s past the flat point he was having this year, thanks to whatever hip rotation flaw that Kevin Long found right before A-Rod hit those three bombs in KC.

What are his stats since that game? If he didn’t miss those couple or so weeks with the calf issue, he’d probably be closer to 40 HRs than 30.

• Including that game and going forward, he’s hitting .315/.383/.728 with 12 home runs in 107 PAs.

Needless to say, that’s pretty insane.

• bexarama says:

since (and including) the 3-HR game:
      .315/.383/.728/1.111

since coming off the DL (in other words, his September):
      .309/.385/.667/1.052

• Those extra forty OBP points should return next season, or at least most of them.

Why do you think that’s the case? It wouldn’t be unusual for a 35 year old to be entering his decline phase.

• This is true.

I also think that, with the rise of Cano as an MVP candidate, Alex will benefit hitting in front of him.

• MikeD says:

Not only is not unusual for a 35-year-old to regress, it should be expected on some level, and in fact A-Rod has entered his decline phase. Just look at his stats since 2007. His OPS+ has moved from 176, to 150, to 138 to 124. Not that OPS+ is the be-all and end-all, but it does show a clear trend.

Yet when Derek Jeter regressed in 2008 at 34, I expected him to have a better 2009, even though he was heading into his age 35 season, based on what I believe caused his dip in ’08 and what I saw from him later in ’08. He did not disappoint, although I was not expecting what he actually did do in 2009. I’m essence, I’m doing the same with A-Rod next year. I don’t expect him to go back to his peak form of 50-HRs and a .420 OBP, but I do think he’s still *capable* of an upgrade from 2010 that could get him back in the .290/.370/.550 range. His skill set is still intact, even if it’s reduced. That was my point.

I am not predicting a come-back for Jeter!

8. Sam P. says:

WPA/LI: +28.3, third most behind Mantle (+94.4 (!!!)) and Jeter (+32.7)

On Mantle’s WPA/LI … holy cow. Phil Rizzuto couldn’t say it with enough amazement. That’s pretty good, huh?

9. AB per HR: 14.3, second best behind Ruth (11.0) and … wait for it … Jason Giambi (14.0)

Wow, great find. I would have never guessed that in a million years.

Yeah, sort of. There’s no doubt he’s an all-time great, but he ranks high in rate stats during the prime of his career. It’s fair to assume those averages will drop as he ages. So comparing a guy in his prime to full careers is unfair to the rest of the guys on those lists. But again, there’s no doubt he’s an all-time top 10 Yankee, maybe top 3 by the time he’s done.

10. BTW-It’s worth noting that he missed around 6 weeks in 09 and a month this year, and still hit his 30 dingers. Pro-rates to around 38 last year and 36 this year.

11. Big Stein says:

FIRE GIRARDI

/for the angry superficial yankee fans in hiding.

12. vin says:

Lou Gehrig hit 163 triples in his career. If he was playing in a more normal home park, he’d probably be well over 550 HR’s (and Ruth would probably have more HR’s too).

• Januz says:

There is no question about how incredible Lou was. Think about this stat: Seven times he knocked in 150 or more runs. BA of .340, Triple Crown Winner, you name it.
      Think about this: Gehrig has been dead for over 1/2 a Century and gets more discussion than any retired athlete this side of Ruth or Jordan.
      All Time Yankees: Top 10 for today’s fan.

1: Ruth
      2: Gehrig
      3: Jeter
      4: Rivera
      5: Mantle
      6: B. Williams
      7: Berra
      8: O’Neill
      9: Arod
      10: Jackson
      Sorry to say Joe D. Has been forgotten about to a large extent.

13. Brandon W says:

Worthless bum; didn’t the Yankees go something like 20 and -4 while he was on the DL? Pena is so much better at third than A-rod with his bad hip and is almost as clutch as Cervelli. This guy just brings the club down.

Wait, you mean he’s an all-time talent who can carry the team on any given day with his ridiculous numbers and routinely knocks in game-winning home runs? … I can’t think of any good MSM comments to respond to that with, but yeah. Whatever.

I’ll take him on my team any day, thank you. Even with a bit of a decline the past couple of years, he seems to be enjoying the game more than ever, which is really fun to watch.

14. Carlosologist says:

So during the ASB I put together a meme list of the first half. It was pretty good (need to find the link to it), so I want to see how many we can put together for the second half. Contribute to the list please.

Second Half RAB Meme List:
    1) Deep and Thick
    2) Tremendous Depth
    3) FIVE ACES
    4) RISP FAIL

15. cano is the bro says:

thursday nights are so good for tv:

1.) It’s always sunny
    2.) JERSEY SHORE

enough said.

16. bexarama says:

Hmmm so I’m trying to think of the strengths/weaknesses for every playoff team, including the NL. Anyone wanna help?

(Obvious weaknesses of other teams: Not the Yankees.)

• cano is the bro says:

the rays: their stadium blows and their fans dont go to games

• Best team right now is probably the Phillies, Yanks will be favored in each round but could easily get picked off by the Rays or Twins. Rangers could beat the Yanks, but that would be more surprising.

• Carlosologist says:

The Giants: They need outfield range. They run out an outfield of Burrell, Torres, and Guillen/Huff/Rowand/batboy at some point every week. Torres can’t go and get them all. If the Yankees play San Francisco and Gardner hits a liner over Burrell, hilarity will ensue.

The Reds: They need pitching. Badly. Their NLDS Game One starter is Bronson Arroyo. Yes, the Bronson Arroyo of the 86 MPH and ~.250 BABIP.

The Phillies: I dunno, maybe bullpen security? I’m not comfortable with Lidge in the back end of the pen.

The Braves: Offense consistency.

17. vin says:

My new favorite baseball name:

Had a nice career, obviously shouldn’t be in the HOF though, but I dont’ really consider the Veteran’s Committee guys as being HOFers anyway.

18. https://www.economist.com/node/17144853

660cc engine would be weak for a motorcycle. Would you drive one? Beats riding a bike, I guess.

• Brandon W says:

660cc might be weak for a cruiser or touring bike, but a 600cc sportbike is more than fast enough. Not that literbikes are bad, but I ride a GSX-R 600 and believe me, it’s anything but weak. Makes more horsepower than my Chevy Cavalier (at ~1/5 the weight counting driver). Would I drive one? No, I’d just ride my motorcycle. But if they can keep the weight down, throwing a 660cc engine in a tiny car wouldn’t be awful.

On second thought, the issue is that in order for people to actually want one they would have to come as an automatic transmission, which would likely kill any ability to rev into the powerband, and you’d be stuck with a glorified golf cart. But whatever.

• I’ll take your word for it. I haven’t rode a bike in years, but I remember friends having 700 and above.

• Brandon W says:

Newer sportbikes are pretty high-tech; 600ccs will get you ~120 horsepower, 130-135 with a couple aftermarket parts. 1000s from the 90s made probably ~140, but with more weight, too. Anyway, I don’t expect that car will weigh 425lb wet and do 0-60 in the 3.2 of a 600cc bike, but it could be enough for cheap, somewhat efficient transport.

• bonestock94 says:

No I wouldn’t drive that. Gimme low mpg old school V8′s all day. But yea, new 600 sportbikes are fast as hell. Pretty sure you can’t buy a new car faster than a 600cc bike that isn’t well into the 6 figure range.

19. Sean C says:

Living in central Illinois, I get a lot of guff from Yankee haters. Whenever I hear a Cubs fan bashing on A-Rod, I simply ask them, “If your team could afford it, would you like to have him on your team?” The answer is always “Yes.” Then I laugh, because the Cubs only spend large amounts of money on, well, not-so-great players.

20. Dream of Electric Sheep says:

I am little bit concern about Berkman’s relative inexperience vs AL pitching. I think he will be an important cog in our offense. The man has not faced MN pitching all season.

21. bexarama says:

1998 World Series Game 4 on Yankees Classics right now!!! (jumps, squeals)

22. Jerome S says:

A-Rod is my favorite baseball player. In other news, my life is far more dramatic than it should be.

23. Jerome S says:

With Miguel Cabrera not playing the last games of the season, who’s willing to bet that A-Rod get’s to number one in RBI’s? He needs three to tie, four to take it.

24. Dellin Betances, SP/RP, NY Yankees. For obvious reasons, the Yankees placed injury restrictions on Betances this year. He responded in dominating fashion, even adding a good looking change-up to his plus fastball/curveball combo. But how will he respond with the restrictions removed? Does he have the endurance to last late into games?

Huh? All young pitchers have innings limits, and Dellin’s huge guy in good shape. Why is this a question for him and not everyone else? Am I missing something?

25. U Thant says:

126 comments and no one has mentioned Paul Zuvella. I am stunned.

26. Jerome S says:

The year Alex Rodriguez won the batting title, he had a .382 BAbip.
    Lucky bastard.

27. Steve O. says:

Need some FF advice: Would you do Thomas Jones for Calvin Johnson?

28. Mike R says:

Looks like we’re getting some help from both the Royals and the Jays.. Hopefully they both pull out the win and the Yankees can make it count in Boston.

29. 3-1 Royals over Rays in the 5th. Ka’aihue with two RBIs already.

FEAR THE KILAMONSTER!!!

30. Kit says:

Watching the 98 WS game brings back really fond memories of when I first fell in love with baseball as a sport.

• Big Stein says:

how old were you?

• Kit says:

I was 10. I started playing little league that year because apparently, I was way too fucking hyper, and I had no idea how to play at all so my brother thought I should watch the games so I could learn more. Went to my first game at the stadium that year too.

• Erica says:

Yep, watching the game too. Great team.

• bexarama says:

Me too. That team was just special. I was only 12… I really wish I could go back and relive it.

• Erica says:

I was 11! I went to my first Yankees game at the stadium in 98, and saw Roger Clemens pitching. They lost. But it was an amazing game because I got to experience crazy Yankees fans and finally understood what it was all about.

Let’s all build a time machine, youse guyse.

• MikeD says:

10? 11? 12? You goonies are making me feel old, very old. Stop it!

Glad you had such a great team to follow when you were kids…uhhh, even if you still are kids.

• Erica says:

We’re not kids! *temper tantrum*

I think I was 6 when I went to spring training in Florida with my parents. I got whiny and I think we only stayed til the 5th inning. So that would have been 1993. I guess I had fun? Heh.

• Pete says:

fucker. I was 7 and living outside of boston. I just assumed that the Yankees always won and shit. By the time I started really paying attention, they had kindof fizzled into early-2000s meh-y postseason play.

• Sean C says:

I was 13 and wasn’t crazy into baseball like I am now, but I do remember them steamrolling everyone that season. I got to go to a game that summer when we visited family out in NY. I remember going apeshit with my dad when they won game 4. He even let me have a sip of beer! Oh, the joys of family bonding and baseball, haha.

31. Big Stein says:

Can you imagine, we’re gonna be tied for HFA tonight.

This weekend will be for all the marbles.

The bad news is AJ is pitching Saturday and probably Nova for Sunday.

32. jay destro says:

i love alex rodriguez, in a total non sexy way. like in a brotherly, punch ya shoulder kinda way.

33. bexarama says:

Well there go Lester’s chances at the Cy Young, eesh

34. Gonzo says:

If A-Rod was a free agent after the season, what do you think his contract would look like? 5/100? 4/94? Less? More?

• MikeD says:

He could still get $20 million a year for five, I think, because he can generate additional marketing dollars for a team that other run-of-the-mill 30 HR/100 RBI guys can’t.

• whozat says:

I’d expect that to lead teams to spend more for a shorter amount of time. 4/90. The Angels, Yanks and Red Sox would all bid. Maybe the Giants too. Someone MIGHT go to 5/100, but I’d expect the Sox to come in at 3/75, and be willing to go to 4/80. Then the Angels or Yanks to go to 4/90. Maybe the Giants come in with 5/100 if they want to make a big splash.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Definitely less. Power is there but I think the hip makes every team cringe. I’d actually see something similar to what I think Jeter will get after the year is over.

• MikeD says:

…and if you can tell us exactly what Jeter will get after this year you will win the prize! Uhhh, that is as soon as we figure out the prize.

The hip issue is a concern and wasn’t thinking of that when I said five years. Yet I don’t see anything less than four, and the shorter the contract the higher the dollar per-year, is my guess. Yet all it is is a guess, since A-Rod is ours for many, many more years.

35. Cecala says:

I posted this in the OT but I only got 1 reply but FF help. I got Vick off waivers but should I start him over Brees?

36. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

This is gonna be a kick-ass final three games. Intense.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

…But before any comments on this, I do NOT want the Yanks to go all out, because health is greater than home field advantage.

37. Brad Toughy says:

My FF team has 3 WR spots, a TE spot and a flex W/T spot.

I’ve got Maclin (WAS), Collie (@JAC), Colston (CAR), Mike Wallace (BAL), Vernon Davis (@ATL) and Aaron Hernandez (@MIA). I can start all 4 WR and 1 TE or both TE with 3 WR.

Any suggestions?

I’m leaning towards sitting Wallace against a tough Ravens pass D and playing both TE.

38. Doug says:

We’re all tied up with 3 to go

39. sjt says:

woo hooo rays loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. MikeD says:

So Bautista hit his 53rd HR, a grand slam. If you were the Blue Jays GM, what would you do with Bautista this off season?

41. Kit says:

I was discussing this with my brother earlier, but does anyone think that the Rangers opting for a three man rotation gives whatever team they’re facing a slight advantage? Lee has apparently never pitched on short rest and their other pitchers are Wilson and Lewis. I think Lee will probably be okay, but my brother thought there’s a definite chance he can’t pitch to his full ability when he’s doing something he’s not used to, giving the opposing team (whoever they may be) an advantage. Thoughts?

42. Total Dominication says:

Tied with 3 to play. If the Yankees take a 1 game lead tommorow, what does Girardi do? More importantly, what should he do?

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Play exactly as he would otherwise.

• Brad Toughy says:

I wouldn’t worry too much about resting the regulars. At this point there are 3 games left and then they’ll have a couple of days off before the playoffs start.

I wouldn’t use the main bullpen arms on back-to-back days, but other than that, I’d play the pretty much A-lineup.

No great reason to sit multiple regulars.

43. MikeD says:

So the Yankees could very well end up with the best record in the AL, with a statistical tie with the Rays for first, yet they won’t win first place, and they won’t have home-field advantage against the Twins, who will have a worse record (maybe).

44. It'sATarp says:

i don’t know if it’s good or not that everyone in the AL are limping into the Play offs.

45. Colin says:

i loved jason giambi especially post 05 giambi cause all he did was walk and hit hr’s. he’s hit a couple big HR’s for the rockies the last 2 years and those highlights, with that mustache are always the best