Sep

Open Thread: Six in a row and ready for more

(AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

Don’t cry, Dallas. Maybe one day you’ll be good enough to pitch on CC’s mound.

Seriously though, how awesome was the big guy today? It looked like Sabathia was throwing a low intensity bullpen session most of the afternoon; he could probably start again on Saturday. Six wins in a row and the magic number for a playoff spot is down to 21, which a chance to drop to 20 tonight if the Red Sox fall to the Orioles.

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Mets are going to get their asses kicked in Atlanta again, plus the Tigers and Twins will be on the MLB Network (depending on where you live). There are also various college football games going on as well. Chat about whatever you want; just don’t be a dick.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Open Thread: Six in a row and ready for more mo’

Fixed.

2. bexarama says:

Posnanski got outPosnanski’d, boom

(Or maybe I’m still stunned because I saw that Posnanski’s latest column is apparently a discussion about Derek Jeter’s contract with KEN TREMENDOUS.)

3. drill me deep says:

the pride of vallejo busted another rhymes with the mostest. that’s how they do it in 707. the most lyrical gangster since E40 out of Vallejo, the big man doing it again and again.

4. Is it just me or does Melky always seem to play WAY too far towards LF when he’s playing CF?

5. bexarama says:

BREAK UP THE METS!!!!!

6. Dela G says:

i love love the 1.5 game lead…

7. drill me deep says:

it’s time to break up the core of the this Mets team ; The Mets need to do it to win.

• Two genuine questions:

1.) Who do you consider to be the “core”? Is it just Reyes and Wright? Is it also Beltran and Santana and KRod and Bay?
      2.) What exactly do you think you can get for these “core” players? Right now, on this market?

• I’d say it’s Reyes-Wright-Beltran at this point? That’s what I usually think of.

• Mike Axisa says:

Wright, Reyes, and Johan.

• bexarama says:

I dunno about others, but I consider the Mets core to be Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Santana, and Pelfrey. I mean, who knows what’s going on with Pelfrey, but he’s in there.

• Captain Jack says:

I’d say Wright, Beltran, Santana, Frankie, Reyes, and Bay…probably Davis and Pelfrey more so than Frankie and Bay

Now, lets say hypothetically the Mets do decide to break up the core:

For a player like David Wright I’d say a team like the Rangers who wants to break into baseball’s elite (Yankees/Rays/Red Sox/etc) would give a handsome package for him. They’re a talent machine and Wright is still pretty young, so it’d work for them. In all honesty if the Mets don’t have any interest in getting a catcher and a right fielder who can post an OBP north of .300 or a second basemen who can slug over .300 they should engage Texas in trade talks.

Beltran? Probably not what he’s worth…he’s got a year left on the deal, if they aren’t going to maximize their chances of winning while he’s still signed they should deal him to San Diego or something and let him play for a team that doesn’t suck.

Reyes? One of the more overrated players in baseball meaning Kenny Williams, Ned Colletti, and several other GMs would line up to overpay for him…that actually might not be a bad move.

Players like Jason Bay and Frakie Rodriguez probably don’t have a whole lot of trade value on a market like this, but if they do decide to deal one of their four “core” guys with value they might be able to build a strong organization with Davis and Pelfrey still being pretty young and under team control for a while.

• Johan Santana? Depends on the team, there package that it’d take to acquire him would be a pretty big one, definitely more than what the Mets gave up. Since you’d have to pay what’s the left of the deal, I can only see the loser of the Cliff Lee sweepstakes being interested in him.

Santana’s got diminished velocity and is making 22.5M, 24M, 25.5M, and a 5.5M buyout.

Unless the Mets are kicking in like 20-30M, they’re not moving him for anything but marginal prospects.

8. Sam says:

Vick/Brunell would have been a fun matchup like 8 years ago, now they’re starting the 4th preseason game

9. PaulF says:

I know It’s too early to think about next year, but I’m wondering which team, the Sox or the Rays, everyone thinks will be better next year.
    Personally I have no idea. Tampa will probably lose Crawford and Pena, but they a lot of young talent, like Desmond Jennings, coming up. The Red Sox have money coming off the books, but they need to replace or resign Beltre, Ortiz, and Martinez, their current 3-4-5 hitters, and rebuild the bullpen.
    So, what do you think?

10. drill me deep says:

1.Reyes, Wright, Johan, Bay ,and krod. which amounts to a rebuilding process in the big apple, which any GM of a new york team would loath to admit.
    2.you may get a decent haul if the Mets are willing to eat some money which they almost have to in today’s economical climate.

• 1.) Please use the reply button.
      2.) Even if you eat money, you’re not getting back prospects good enough to merit trading away Reyes, Wright, or Johan. You’re better off holding them and waiting for bouncebacks, their stock is too low.
      3.) Nobody’s touching Jason Bay or Frankie Rodriguez with a ten foot pole. You could pay their entire salaries and I still wouldn’t give you even a non-prospect for either one of them. They suck.

• bexarama says:

Really? If someone paid Jason Bay’s entire salary I’d happily give him a non-prospect. I mean, maybe not for the Yankees specifically, but in general. 2010 isn’t his true talent level. K-Rod no, but that’s because he’s a frigging douchebag who hasn’t been that good since 2008.

• UncleArgyle says:

I agree on Bay. Eat a shit ton of salary and lots of teams would be interested. I’ll say the “core mets” are Wright, Johan, Reyes, Pelfrey, Davis.

• drill me deep says:

1. as i stated you will a get ‘decent haul’ for the ‘core’ as i am operating under the assumption that if you have to trade him.

2. someone will touch jason bay and frankie rodriguez with ten foot pole if you pay the entirety of their salaries. Not being able to forecast their performances and other teams needs next year, it makes it hard to gauge what you can get for them.

so overall, you will get a decent haul for those mentioned above.
        would i do it? prolly not, you trade high , not low.

11. Bryan says:

Why does this site say 28? Is it wrong?

No World Series sarcasm please.

• bexarama says:

that’s probably for the division. The RAB magic number is “only” playoffs.

• vin says:

Yeah, it says the number is calculated relative to the “closest opponent.” Which would be for the division.

“Take the number of games yet to be played, add one, then subtract the number of games ahead in the loss column of the standings from the closest opponent.”

12. Hughesus Christo says:

Odds Vick is the starter in Philly by Week 7?

13. They still do the chop at Braves games? Wow.

14. SNY jut had something on the crawl saying UConn Football Preview. Here’s the UConn Football Preview:

1. Good defense.
    2. Good running game.
    3. A QB who can’t throw a deep ball to save his life
    4. A good, not great season that ends in a middling bowl win.

15. seimiya says:

What’s the fewest amount of games that has been played on a regular-season day (excluding the All-Star Game/Break)? It feels like this is a really small number of games to be played in a day.

16. T-Dubs says:

Does anyone have a picture of CC standing on the mound looking in at the catcher? I scrolled through a ton of google images to no avail.

17. ColoYank says:

Do you trust my calculations?

True fact: Tommy Kahnle has a 0.50 WHIP and 14.8K/9 at Staten Island.

He’s a junior high schooler pitching in kindergarten. Or something.

• Reggie C. says:

Most definitely an interesting reliever prospect next season. He’ll probably pass Venditte on the Trenton roster by June of next season. Burawa’s another fire-baller who’s got the local-kid-thing in his favor. Go Red Men!

18. College football picks?

I’ll say
    SEC: Bama
    ACC: Miami
    Big 10: Ohio State
    Big XII: Oklahoma (!?)
    Pac 10: Oregon State
    Big East: Pitt

Title game is Bama v. Ohio State, with Bama winning it again.

19. drill me deep says:

a night without live Yankee baseball is definitely little lacking. The best part of watching Mets baseball tonight is seeing the Melkman!

• ColoYank says:

Did you name yourself for that character in “Little Shop of Horrors” that was played by Bill Murray – the one who got into the dentist’s chair so the doc (played by Steve Martin) could work on him?

20. T-Dubs says:

Liked this picture of Andy so I reused the graphic. Someone remember it for Braden vs. Pettitte next season.

21. The Mets haven’t hit more than one homer in a game in their last 30 games. #lolmets

22. Jonathan says:

Has anyone seen Jayson Stark’s column on the 2010 awards…holy shit. What an awful piece. Buchholz is 2nd in the AL Cy Young and CJ Wilson is 4th over David Price and Cliff Lee isn’t even mentioned. And he has Tim Hudson over Ubaldo and Josh Johnson in the NL. It’s just awful.

• Carlosologist says:

I’d ask for a link, but I don’t want to get any stupider.

• I actually agree with the Hudson one. He pitches more innings and allows fewer runs than Johnson or Jimenez.

• Brad Toughy says:

Agreed. Hudson lacks the flashy K numbers, but he’s been a rock for Atlanta this season.

Don’t know if I’d put him above Johnson, but I’d definitely rank him higher than Jimenez.

I’d probably go

1. Wainwright
        2. Hudson
        3. Johnson

• Brad Toughy says:

Allow me to call myself stupid. Roy Halladay has got to be in the top three. I’d maybe even put him as number one.

But in all seriousness, a lot of great choices this year.

• drill me deep says:

Price, CC, Buchholz and Felix are the top four candidates for me.
      although, i am still unclear as to what CY Young signifies as an award?
      1. the best pitcher ?

2. the most valuable pitcher?

as long as the yankees win the WS , the other stuffs are gravy i think.

• Brad Toughy says:

No Cliff Lee? No Liriano?

• JGS says:

The last month has probably knocked Cliff Lee out of the conversation. fWAR still loves him because of the ludicrously good K/BB and awesome FIP that goes with it, but he has been very ineffective for the past month.

Liriano is an interesting case–fifth in bWAR, first in fWAR. Stick Jered Weaver in there too.

23. Big Juan says:

Jayson Stark (http://twitter.com/jaysonst) just tweeted: “Nope. He hasn’t hit .300 as a Yankee. RT @hriefs A-Rod also has hit .300+ for 3 teams.”

/howlongdoesittaketolookthatup’d

24. Januz says:

I can justify Buchholz winning the Cy Young with a 2.16 ERA, and if he gets 18 wins. If Hernandez can’t get over .500 winning% I can’t.

• drill me deep says:

Wins are a poor construct to represent what the value produced by a pitcher is. while it’s aspect of validity , it most definitely should not be valued greater than other parts of quantitative components such as whip, babip , FIP, etc,etc…

with that said, it is slightly curious they pick the guy with the most wins in history to signify best pitcher award. like i said, i never know what these awards represents precisely due to its historical selections.

• Dela G says:

if wins werent so important, then no one would care about 300 wins as a barrier to get to the HOF. Wins are an important stat. Should they be the deciding factor in the Cy-Young voting? no. Should they be allowed to be considered? yes

• whozat says:

That’s circular reasoning. You’re arguing that wins should be important in determining the Cy Young BBWAA voting because they’re important in the BBWAA Hall Of Fame voting.

If the BBWAA is wrong to give them such disproportionate weight in the one case, that can’t be used to argue they should be given weight in the other.

• mbonzo says:

I definitely agree with you. A pitcher’s job is to get the team a win, not to lower his ERA. That said, it needs to be taken in to account the team the players are on, Felix’ job is not to have the most strikeouts or the lowest WHIP, its to give the team most quality outings. I think CC will be overlooked for an almost record setting amount of quality outings for the Yankees. Felix should have won last year, this is CC’s year. Let the disagreement begin.

• Jose the Satirist says:

I hope Felix doesn’t get another win this year but utterly dominates and still takes losses. I also hope CC wins 22 games but gets a bit lucky with run support. I just want to see the writers’ take.

• JGS says:

Number of starts with 7+ innings and 2 or fewer earned runs:

Buchholz: 9
      Hernandez: 18

25. bexarama says:

NL closer Manny Delcarmen imploding

26. Jerome S says:

I’ve got my NL championship team as the Reds. Goodnite. Comments anyone?

27. Carlosologist says:

Fun hypothetical:

If there were only one Cy Young Award, instead of two for each league, who would be the winner?

28. Dela G says:

orioles have runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 out against paplebon, down 6-4…

29. yankees1717 says:

completely random, but i remember reading a pat venditte interview where the interviewer asked him what he thought about people who said he would never make the majors. to this he said that he was just thankful to be playing the game he loves for a living, and while he would love to make the majors, if there are people who deserve it more than him he was happy for them. i found that an incredibly classy answer and i respect him much more after that comment. thoughts?

30. T-Dubs says:

The Jesus has surpassed Frank Thomas’s minor league career high in homers (18 at AA). Thomas did do it in only 105 games.

Mike Piazza hit 23 in 125 games split between AA & AAA.

Billy Butler hit exactly 18 over parts of 2 AAA seasons.

Again. Indicative of nothing but interesting to me.

31. bexarama says:

Please someone stop the beat writers on Twitter from talking about the Cy Young please please please.

32. xnyles says:

Jesus walk up music could be “jesus walks” by kanye would be pretty cool.

33. drill me deep says:

non sequitur, whom of the three would make the sickest Bond villain?

1.Jack zduriencik
    2.John Maddon
    3.John Henry

Please state your reasons as to why and the villain’s potential screen name.

34. Dela G says:

this is a great pitt vs utah game

i have 200 on utah

plz win

35. Pat D says:

Five aces!! Don’t count ‘em out!!!!

36. PaulF says:

Just lost Johan Santana and Scott Baker to injury a week before my Fantasy league’s playoff’s, where I’ll be the second seed. Any Ideas?

• bexarama says:

This is not a helpful or intelligent comment: Johan Santana strained his boob, basically. LOLMets.

• Brad Toughy says:

Depends on how deep your league is and what’s available. Some guys I’ve grabbed in recent weeks (in a very deep league) are Mike Minor, Barry Enright and Jake Westbrook.

There may be better options if your league isn’t as deep.

37. rek4gehrig says:

I hate day games…they interfere with work.