Sep

Open Thread: Thankfully, a day off

Hello, Baltimore. The Yanks are 4-2 at Camden Yards this year. (AP Photo/Files)

For our peace of mind, the Yankees are resting today. There will be no late-inning disappointments, no walk-offs, no heartbreaks. The team enjoyed the day in Baltimore and will look to put their woes behind them tomorrow night.

The upcoming series against the Orioles should be a good one for the Bombers. They aren’t playing against potential October opponents and have recently seen the Buck-led Baltimoreans at the Stadium. The pitching match-ups are lined up to favor the Yanks as well. A.J. Burnett will face Kevin Millwood on Friday; CC Sabathia and Jeremy Guthrie will square off for the third time this year on Saturday; and Andy Pettitte will make his triumphant return against Chris Tillman on Sunday. Anything less than two out of three would be yet another September disappointment.

As part of tonight’s open thread, we’ve got a unique ticket offer that we wanted to throw out a few days early. One Yankee fan has two seats — not just club passes — to the Audi Club for Tuesday’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays. He unfortunately just found out that he has to travel for work from Tuesday through Thursday and is looking to trade his two tickets for another pair of similar value (preferably in the Audi Club) for any other game next week. Hit us via the contact box if you can make the trade.

And that’s that. Do your thing. The White Sox and Twins will be on the MLB Network tonight (although some of you may get the Cardinals/Padres game). Other than that, it’s a quiet night around baseball.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Carlosologist says:

Tomorrow is the first Friday (last week we were off) of my high school days. I honestly hope there isn’t a type of Freshman Friday.

2. xnyles says:

Any body read the article on si written by Joe Polanski about Jeter “cheat” play ? Let me summarize it- Jeter did that cause hes old and hitting .260. Unbelievable

• Sam P. says:

I did read that. And now I’m ashamed for having read it. I can also summarize my feelings about him on most things progressive in baseball (such as replay and advanced stats):

Crotchety Old Man

• bexarama says:

I really like Joe Posanski’s writing but I’ve learned not to read his stuff when it comes to Yankee-specific articles.

• Dirty Pena says:

I really like Joe Posanski’s writing many writers but I’ve learned not to read his any of their stuff when it comes to Yankee-specific articles.

FTFY

• bexarama says:

Well not exactly, a lot of sports writers I just won’t read period, unless I’m looking for something to laugh at. Posnanski is definitely worth reading, just I’ve learned to avoid his Yankee-specific articles.

• Dirty Pena says:

Yep. I’m saying there’s a bunch of writers who are plenty good, but can’t help themselves when it comes to the Yankees. (cough)Rob Neyer(cough)

• bexarama says:

Gotcha. And yeah, I can’t think of too many other writers who are generally good but cannot stand the Yankees outside of Pos and Neyer. I mean, a lot of writers are just bad so I don’t read them to begin with.

• whozat says:

Really? I find him to be pretty even-handed. I didn’t think the article was out of line at all. He didn’t moralize at all, he admits (like few sportswriters do) that the game has never been the bastion of purity that many seem to feel it was in the halcyon days of their youths. It was just like…yeah, players do stuff like this and always have. And it’s a little saddening to see Derek Jeter get old, like it was with every great player before him and will be for every great player after him.

• bexarama says:

No moralizing? He said something like that he’d be outraged if his daughters did something like that, IIRC. It wasn’t outrageous, it was just… meh.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Pos. He is a VERY good writer. I just think sometimes his specifically Yankee coverage isn’t the best. It’d be like asking me to write articles about the Red Sox.

• whozat says:

Well, what parent would tell their kids “you see, girls? It’s cool to cheat if you get away with it!”

They’re kids, you can’t be saying that. But, in context, it doesn’t bug him. Makes sense to me. Stuff like that is part of baseball, and that’s fine.

• steve (different one) says:

I didn’t read the article, but why is it dismissed out of hand? I mean, no one else was thinking it wasn’t at least part of the story?

Maybe I’m way off, but it’s not crazy for me to think of players who are getting older and losing some of their skills might try a “veteran” trick or 2. It’s like the guy in Major League with the snotball…

• bexarama says:

Because anyone would do it. In the 1996 ALCS, did Jeter say “oh that wasn’t a HR”? Did anyone expect him to?

• steve (different one) says:

I didn’t read the article, and I don’t disagree that many players wouldn’t do the same. I have zero moral qualms with what he did, but the comparison is not to other players, it’s to the younger Jeter. Have you ever seen jeter do something so blatant like that? Maybe. I don’t remember every game, but I don’t think the meier hour is a good analogy. He really had zero control over the controversial part of that play. He was a willing actor in this one.

I don’t have a strong conviction on this since none of us can read jeter’s mind, just saying there may be a kernal of truth in poz’s premise

• bexarama says:

Have you ever seen jeter do something so blatant like that?

I haven’t really seen him given the opportunity to do anything like that. If something like that happened in like 1999 or 2006 and he was like “no no no, it wasn’t a HBP, it hit my bat” then Pos might have a point but I think his premise was flawed.

I mean, honestly, the ball hit Jeter’s bat and came pretty close to hitting him, and he flinched. The ump gave him 1B right then, not out of sympathy on the whole shebang. The rest of it was acting, but that flinch was likely genuine. I mean, I flinched in my living room.

Show me a player that wouldn’t take the base in that situation. Heck, it happened to Jermaine Dye in the 2005 WS.

• steve (different one) says:

Yeah, I’m not really saying this well. I certainly don’t mean that he shouldn’t have taken the base or that he did anything “wrong”. All I meant was that he oversold it, and the acting after the initial reaction was a bit out of character.

But of course I think it is silly for anyone to ascribe motives, I guess I just wasn’t ready to completely dismiss the basic idea.

Whatever, I admit I am just talking out of my ass b/c there is no baseball today.

• Zack says:

“Have you ever seen jeter do something so blatant like that?”

Um….every stolen base he swipes the glove and holds it up to try to convince the umpre.

3. JGS says:

Everyone should submit their suggestions on wacky stuff that happened this year for the First Annual YCPB awards.

Suggestions will be expressed in poll form come next week or so and after the season, the winners get to have paeans written to their wackiness, so come nominate!

4. This might be the ultimate indignity for Mets fans. It’s almost not funny how much shit they have to deal with. (Almost.)

5. Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

I just can’t look at Baltimore anymore without thinking of “The Wire”. Somewhere out there Marlo and Omar are going at it.

6. The team enjoyed the day in Baltimore (hookers) and will look to put their woes behind them tomorrow night.

7. bexarama says:

Guys, don’t worry about Tampa Bay. Surely the baseball gods will not allow a team who has done this to win the WS.

(SFW, but um. Disturbing.)

• vin says:

Why wouldn’t they have a DJ Kitty? It’s a desparate, low-rent move because they’re catering to an indifferent fan base.

If they’re not careful I may start hating them as much as I do the Angels.

The primary difference between them and the Angels is the Angels actually have people show up to their games. They’re completely insufferable, but at least they show up and pretend like they’ve been a fan through all the bad years.

• Carcillo says:

The Trop is a really freaky place to watch baseball games.

Who doesn’t love paying 20 dollars to end up sitting in GREAT seats in the lower bowl down the left field side? I didn’t have the greatest time watching games there this year as far as the on-the-field result goes (4-5, though I hope for a few more games between these two in October), but the ticket value I got for eight of those games was outstanding.

Oh, and I got a 2009 ring last night as well. Cool little side story.

8. So, Reggie Bush voluntarily forfeited and gave back his Heisman Trophy… but it’s not an admission of guilt. He still claims he’s innocent and didn’t do anything wrong.

You gotta be shitting me.

9. Mike Axisa says:

There’s about 1,000 people at CitiField tonight.

10. Mickey Scheister formerly Badabling says:

I love how ESPN gave Jeter such a rave review for his acting job last night. Forget actual baseball, and they played some amazing games over the past three nights, you still saw that Jeter at bat talked about more than the actual games that took place. I love Jeter but if that was A-Rod it woulda hit the fan. Every single show on ESPN and even the NFL analyst commented on it, almost all positive. They did however say it was the best acting of his career, so they did get some jabs in as well.

• Jose the Satirist says:

Really? I was watching PTI and they had the title for a segment as “Derek Cheater?”. Was ESPN really mostly positive about the whole deal?

• bexarama says:

Really? I keep seeing so many people freaking out about it.

• Mickey Scheister formerly Badabling says:

The late Sportscenter, early (10am) SportsCenter, 1st and 10 and ESPNEWS early this morning and late last night all loved it. Even Mark Schlereth said how much he loved it. I guess once the head honcho’s at Bristol saw he was getting good press late night and early morning they changed their stance.

11. Abbot's Arm says:

Is it just me or does Vernon Wells goes WAY WAY overboard?

12. Big Daddy says:

Ways to improve the yankees:

1. Fire Dave Island. He is obviously not doing his job if phil hughes is giving up 4 runs.

2. Cut Granderson. Hitting .247 with 50 rbi’s isnt cutting it.

3. Fire kevin long. He isnt doing a good job b/e he gives granderson a new swing every freaking month and he still sucks. Goodbye!

4. Release Burnett. stats are self-explanatory

5. Dismiss Vazquez. Same reasons as burnett.

Fire Dave Island. This cannot be stressed enough.

13. So when do we find out who’s going to instructs? Is there somewhere I can find this online?

14. ZZ says:

The only thing dumber than the amount of attention this Jeter hit by pitch has garnered is the argument that he did it because he is having a bad season or it is sad he had to resort to that or whatever.

It was an instinct play. Jeter doesn’t walk up to the plate this season and say, hey I am having a bad year. If by some chance the ball comes close to hitting me I am going to pretend that it did so I can get on base. It was a half second reaction by someone who is extremely competitive. Maybe if half these idiots writing about sports for a living had actually made it past t-ball they would understand what it is like to have that kind of competitive drive and instinct.

Jeter by the way has a .342 OBP after the count goes to 0-1 in his career. Even in probably the best year of his career in 1999 he had a .417 OBP after the count goes to 0-1. So yeah take the guaranteed base if the acting like it hit him works out or risk failing 60-65% of the time. Tough choice for someone focused on winning a baseball game.

15. Dirty Pena says:

Fantasy football, 2 lineup questions: ONE of Breaston (@ Atl), Tampa’s Mike Williams (@ Car) or Nate Washington (vs. Pit). Start which one?

Also, TWO of Bush, Felix Jones, Harvin. Which two?

PPR leagues.

• Dirty Pena says:

Bush is @ SF, Jones is vs. Chi, and Harvin is vs. Mia.

• I busted on my Felix Jones start recommendation last week, but I’d pick him first of those three. I’ll take Harvin against a shaky Dolphins pass defense over Bush against a good Niners defense, but that depends on Harvin’s health (and Favre’s shittiness), so that’s more of a tossup.

I’ll take Breaston of the wideouts. Williams is a decent play as well, but I like Carolina’s defense (and dislike Tampa’s passing attack) a bit more. Washington is the definite non-start, that Steelers matchup looks bad for the Titans passing game.

• Brad Toughy says:

I take Williams out of the wideouts, and Jones and Bush for the backs. Harvin is the high-risk, high-reward start, but Favre looked bad last week and Harvin was limited.

16. Cecala says:

So happy that CC is pitching on Sat because I shall be in Baltimore. I got the tickets back in June

17. bob says:

twin just hit pauly k in the face this game is going to get ugly fast

18. vin says:

In a recent fangraphs chat, I saw Dave Cameron mention that he believes the best way to limit the Yankees’ huge financial advantage over other teams is to add a 3rd New York team. He’s not a believer in salary caps or luxury taxes. I personally have never seen that idea mentioned, so it caught me off guard.

I suppose his logic is that a 3rd team would further divide the NY fan base, funneling money away from the Yankees and towards the new club.

I don’t really see it limiting the Yankees much. Actually, the Mets would be the biggest loser in this circumstance (as they always are). I don’t necessarily think many people are drawn to the Yanks because of their history. I seem to recall a hell of a lot of Mets fans during my 1980s childhood. Also, Yankee Stadium had perpetually low attendance during the 80s and even most of the 90s.

There’s obviously a lot of factors that go into why fans do or don’t go to a ballgame, but the Yankee brand certainly had less appeal then than it does now. And as we all know, more appeal means more dollars. The Yankees didn’t start blowing away the payroll field until their 90s dynasty was well established (and on its way out).

Maybe a 3rd team in NY would take some dollars away from the Yanks, but that’s only if the teams is competitive. Tampa doesn’t work as a baseball town, not because the team isn’t good (like we thought all these years), but because of other factors. It’s a football town, with an awful stadium that’s in the wrong part of the metro area, in a city with plenty of other things to do.

NY obviously works as a baseball town, but a new team would probably be a small blip on the Yankees’ radar… until the team actually starts winning.

Just wondering what everyone thinks about that concept, not as Yankee fans, but more as problem-solvers (assuming it actually is a problem in the first place, which is another discussion).

(Tommie’s mention of the Laker-Clipper dynamic reminded me of this)

• Carlosologist says:

Move the Rays into New York. Boom, that just happened.

• Steve H says:

So he’s a believer in salary caps or luxury taxes……but he wants to artificially keep down spending for 3 (but really aiming at 1) of 30 teams based on their location. I can’t see how he can be against a cap but for a way to cap just a select amount of teams.

• Steve H says:

Sorry not a believer in salary caps

• Right. Now you could argue that the New York market could easily support a third team. Of course forcing a team to relocate there would be artificial, but were a team to voluntarily move to New York (and it be approved), it would be within his stated baseball business beliefs.

All that said, I don’t think it would have as much impact as Cameron thinks it would.

• The area has three professional hockey teams, and the Devils struggle to draw fans despite being playoff-caliber every year since 1997 (and 1995 too), and the Islanders…well…

So yeah. Third team doesn’t guarantee anything.

• Jerome S says:

Hahaha the Mets are losers.

• MikeD says:

I’ve seen this suggestion before (adding a third team) and I wouldn’t have a problem with it if they wanted to give it a try. I love baseball, so more local baseball is a good thing for me persnally, even if I was only to take in one game a year (as I do with the Mets.)

It would seem likely, though, that they’d be looking to add another A.L. team, not an N.L. team since that would be more of a danger to the Mets, who no one really seems all that concerned about. I’m not sure how well that would work. I don’t see Yankee fans flocking away to become fans of some other A.L. team. It would take quite a bit of time to develop their own fanbase, which means they might have a lot of difficulty drawing enough fans at start, making them a weak team.

So, sure, let’s move the Diamondbacks to the A.L., plant them in New Jersey, and let’s start taking bets on how long they last.

19. Steve H says:

How in the world did Pedro Guerrero get a 1st place MVP vote in 1989???

20. Pat D says:

Anyone see the promo video for next week’s Office premeire? Looks like they’re doing another viral video parody with the “Nobody Can Do…” song.

Which looks both funny/entertaining and an example of how the show is running out of ideas.

21. bexarama says:

I almost liked Hawk for about a second there because he yelled “TAKE THAT, PAVANO!!!” after Konerko’s HR off Pavano. Gross.

22. Steak this late at night may have been a bad idea.

23. Steve O. says:

Fantasy Football question: Which team will win?

Team A Vs. Team B
    Phillip Rivers Vs. Drew Brees
    Matt Forte Vs. Frank Gore
    Lesean McCoy Vs. Jamaal Charles
    Ricky Williams Vs. Jahvid Best or Felix Jones
    DeSean Jackson Vs. Roddy White
    Steve Smith (CAR) Vs. Steve Smith (NYG)
    Vernon Davis Vs. Greg Olsen
    Patriots D/ST Vs. Eagles D/ST
    Feely Vs. Hartley

24. Anyone think Thome will get offered a multi-year extension with Minnesota?

25. bob says:

must win game 4 yankees lets go blue jays

26. JoeNY07 says:

Did anyone read the NY Times article “Crime Blotter Has a Regular: Yankees Caps”

27. Magnus Stultus says:

It looks like Manny’s power has been completely sapped. All He does now is fight off plus fastballs into dinkers in RF. Too bad, I was thinking of him a possible DH option, albeit in a remote possibility.

• bexarama says:

He did slug over .500 with the Dodgers this year, albeit in kinda limited playing time because of all the injuries. I still wouldn’t want him as a DH next year.

• Magnus Stultus says:

Just a thought, I always been a fan of him as a hitter since his Cleveland days where he and Thome had dealt the Yanks many near mortal blows in the late 90s.

28. Steve O. says:

Who’s watching The League tonight?

29. E6 says:

This Yankee team just looks old. At some point, age would be a factor and I’m starting to think the grind of a long season has worn on them. What made the Yankees great last year was that their older players didn’t seem to age. But save for the immortal Mariano – we’re starting to see the effects of Father Time.

Derek Jeter’s batting in the .260′s – and under .240 since June. He’s never looked more lost at the plate and his GB/LD rates should give one caution.

Andy Pettitte spent the bulk of the second half on the DL.

Jorge Posada is still productive for a catcher but he’s been dinged up all season + the days of him catching 130 games/season are long over.

Alex Rodriguez – his HR numbers are down. He’s got the whole hip issue + he spent time on the DL.

… and yet somehow they still have the 2nd best record in baseball.

30. JoeNY07 says:

This is starting to feel like 2000 …..They lost 13 of the last 15 which included a 6 and season ending 7 game losing streak……

31. bonestock94 says:

Mark Sanchez needs to ease off the Rex Ryan kool aid a bit. Nothing wrong with going 15-1? Wow…

32. Carlosologist says:

So I rediscovered this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6a-AHLRoAw

My dad has told me stories about the 80s but damn, was the music really like this?

33. Magnus Stultus says:

Gintober !

• Carlosologist says:

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 National League West champions, the San Francisco Giants.

Has a pretty good ring to it, no?

• bexarama says:

/Rockies fan til I die’d
        /also I just don’t like the Giants so there’d

• Magnus Stultus says:

I think so , I am rooting for Buster and Zito in company. While I think the Phillies has the best team in the NL , I do think the Giants will give em something to think about with their pitching in the playoff.

• Magnus Stultus says:

I just randomly looked up Bond’s numbers at age 42 . He posted an OPS of 1.045 with 132 walks and 28 dingerz. I am pretty sure he was blackballed out of the baseball next year.

• Magnus Stultus says:

Barry Bond’s numbers are simply absurd in his late 30s.
            I don’t care if it’s the by product of PEDs or Roids, it’s still hella impressive.

• Guest says:

I wonder how many players have ever had 1.045 OPS, wanted to play the next season, and couldn’t find a job. Bet its a short list.

Look how many other players committed the same sin as Bonds. My favorite player has ADMITTED to doing the exact same thing. But he still gets to play and get standing O’s and 25 mil a year. I have no problem with A-Rod being able to battle back from roids taint (did I mention he was my favorite player?). Andy Pettite got the same shot at redemption. Big Papi is still smilin’ and swingin’ from his heels in Fenway. Manny has gotten to be Manny in two other huge markets. And this is not even to say anything for the hundreds (lets not kid ourselves, its in the hundreds) of other players who haven’t been caught or had any suspicion cast their way for taking PEDs.

But yet Bonds became such a pariah that teams ignored the 1.045 OPS. I understand that he did himself no favors by being a jerk to just about everyone. But its unfair that he got run out of the game for making the same mistakes as many other players, including some of the biggest stars.

I guess the lesson is, be nice to people on the way up because you will pass them on the way back down.

• Carlosologist says:

Bonds had a ridiculous career line: .298/.444/.607

• AndrewYF says:

Well that, and I’m pretty sure he was on crutches midseason recovering from a leg injury.

34. Kiersten says:

Because of the off-night, I watched The Notebook on ABC Family instead of the game and wound up spending the whole night crying and now I’m in a crappy mood. Thanks, Yankees.

• Big Stein says:

oh c’mon. that was so unrealistic (the letters, the ending in bed). it was like when you accidentally put to much sugar in your coffee.

35. Guest says:

Anyone else pumped for Manning Bowl II?

Huge Giant fan, but I’ve also been a Peyton supporter since he was back at Tennessee. Hoping for a good game that the Giants pull out on a last minute Manning-Manningham (best QB-Receiver last name combo ever?)touchdown.