Sep

Pettitte likely to throw rehab game on Wednesday

Via Chad Jennings, the Yankees and Andy Pettitte are “holding pretty firm” to the idea of having the lefty throw in a minor league rehab game on Wednesday. To be clear, those are Pettitte’s words. Double-A Trenton will be at home taking on New Hampshire in their first playoff game that day, so I’d bet my money on Pettitte rehabbing with the Thunder. Triple-A Scranton will be on the road for their playoff game that day, and their opponent is still unknown. Trenton is a much better fit every way.

A Wednesday rehab start would put Pettitte in line to return to the Yankees’ rotation the following Monday, though I bet the Yanks will keep CC Sabathia on turn and have him face the Rays in Tampa that day. They could then have Andy pitch against the Rays the next day, pushing Ivan Nova back to Wednesday and Javy Vazquez out of that series.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Fred Lemond says:

That would suck having to face Pettitte in your Minor League postseason.

2. joe t says:

Come on back Andy. Build up and get that fresh arm ready for October.

3. PaulF says:

New Hampshire is screwed. Andy is money in the playoffs.

• Hughesus Christo says:

Minor Leaguer: “Wow! Hey Andy! Great to have you here!
      AP: “Aw, shucks guys. I’m just an old man trying to get myself in shape for October.”
      Minor Leaguer:”Oh, totally. You have bigger fish to fry. This is just great timing for us, you know?”
      AP: “Oh, sure. Listen, I’m happy to help with anything. I can teach you a cutter, talk about my approach, whatever. I don’t have much time left, so it’ll be up to you guys up in New York.”
      Minor Leaguer: “That would be great Mr. Pettitte. Thanks so much. But I wasn’t really talking about that…”
      AP: “What do you mean? Ah,yeah. The weather is just swell this time of year. I sure do love the fall.”
      Minor Leaguer: “No… Andy. This is a playoff game. You’re pitching the opener of our championship series.”
      AP: WHAT? SO THIS IS A PLAYOFF GAME? GAME ON, BITCHES. LET’S GO. WHO IS THE CATCHER? TELL HIM I GOT THIS. DON’T EVEN WORRY ABOUT THE SCOUTING. IT’S A.P. TIME, BRA.

4. Neil says:

Javy out of the series sounds good to me.

5. Mike HC says:

Can’t wait to see Pettitte back. I would say he is much needed, but this team seems to cruise on no matter who is hurt or struggling.

• Matt in Philly says:

I hope they are right with the Trenton pick. Just picked up 2 tix for $27 bucks total on the Thunder site in the 6th row behind the Home dugout. It’s well worth it if Andy goes 4 innings.