Sep

Torre, Mattingly to attend Monday’s Steinbrenner tribute

The Yankees are set to pay tribute to George M. Steinbrenner III prior to their game against the Rays tomorrow evening, and according to Bill Madden, both Joe Torre and Don Mattingly will be in attendance. The Dodgers are off tomorrow, and it will be the first time that either Torre or Mattingly will return to Yankee Stadium (new or old) since leaving after the 2007 season. I expect them both to get roaring ovations, especially Donnie Baseball.

The Yanks will be unveiling a monument honoring Steinbrenner in Monument Park, the first new one since 1999.

Categories : Asides

1. MikeD says:

Be nice to think this might represent the first warming of relations between the Yankees and Torre, especially since this involves George Steinbrenner. While the Yankees made some mis-steps here, Torre really tossed gasoline on the situation with his book, yet men being men, they should be able to work their way through this situation. Hopefully this is the first step.

2. crawdaddy says:

This is confirmation that an olive branch has been extended between Torre and the Yankee family. I don’t know which party did so first, but I’m hoping it was Torre that made the first move after George’s passing.

IMO, this is best for the Yankee family and its fanbase.

3. Dick Whitman says:

Anyone know what time the ceremony is starting? Is it pushing the beginning of the game back? Thanks.

4. Mister Delaware says:

THIS MEANS GIRARDI IS GOING TO THE CUBS AND TORRE IS COMING BACK TO NEW YORK OMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!

5. Little Bill says:

Mattingly should get a roaring ovation but not that sell out Joe Torre. I think most Yankees fans now remember Torre only for that book he co-wrote to make a buck. He ratted out the Yankees organization and for that he can never be forgiven.

6. Hughesus Christo says:

Let’s hope Joe is pulled away for an emergency Visa commercial filming before he gets to the stadium.

7. Sam P. says:

For those of us out of market but w/ the MLB.tv package, are these sorts of pregame ceremonies generally broadcast? I’d love to be able to watch. Thanks for any info on previous happenings.

8. Elan says:

I won’t be there tomorrow night, but if I was there, I would certainly give a roaring standing ovation to both Mattingly AND Torre. How anyone here can be against Joe Torre is beyond me. They won 4 World Championships and made it to the playoffs every year of his reign, and people are against him because of a stupid book?!?!

• Guest says:

Did you read the book?

• Matt DiBari says:

I read the book and really didn’t think it was that bad at all. Alot of stuff I suspected was confirmed and a lot of open secrets were printed. I thought only a few people came off looking truly bad in the book (Cashman and Pavano off the top of my head) and I don’t necessarily think they were unfair characterizations. I thought the A-Rod stuff was overhyped and wasn’t nearly the trashing of him people made it out to be.

• Mike says:

The Cashman part is the major issue, since Cash and Torre had always been supportive of each other, that is until Torre’s time with the Yankees came to a crashing end, and I guess Torre felt somehow betrayed by Cash. (Just guessing based on what I’ve read.)

The Steinbrenner brothers already felt that Torre was taking too much credit and not being respectful to George and the Steinbrenner family for the chance George gave Torre. And then in the book, Torre took credit for a lot of things, such as the YES Network. This didn’t sit well with the Steinbrenners. Next, add in Torre making Cash look bad in the book, and Torre’s most logical in back to the Yankees was burned.

So if the Steinbrenners had bad feelings toward Torre and Cashman had bad feelings toward Torre, then Torre appeared to be screwed with the team for a long, long time to come. I always thought the Cash/Torre split could mend in time. The Torre issue with the Steinbrenner brothers probably could also be fixed. The hardest issue, though, concerns Torre and George’s relationship. If Hal and Hank think that Torre somehow disrespected George, then that will be the hard one to fix. They might forgive Torre for things that occured between the brothers, but they might be unforgiving if he disrespected their now-dead father. So the fact that Torre is showing up for the memorial is a good sign.

• Elan says:

I both own and have read the book (several times, actually), and I have no problem with it. Torre will forever be a legend in Yankees lore, no matter what transpired in the end. Before the tribute for George Steinbrenner, Cashman and Torre had a meeting and have supposedly cleared the air. So I’m not too concerned about the relationship of Torre and the Yankees.

9. Pete C. says:

Don Mattingly, wears Yogi’s number in a Dodger uni. Somewhere Jackie Robinson’s laughing his ass off.

10. Dan S says:

Well, aint this sad. It just shows how diluted and loose the current the standards really are. How Joe Torre can be allowed back is a mystery. The funny part is he will act as if he deserved to be there and will provide a quote or two that will make people ball with tears.

11. Big Stein says:

Yo Pete C… Ya think Jackie was laughing when Yogi showed him his 10 rings?