Sep

Yankees recall Royce Ring, designate Chad Huffman for assignment

Joe Girardi finally has his second lefty reliever. Royce Ring was recalled from Triple-A Scranton today, with Chad Huffman getting the axe to make room on the 40-man roster.

Ring, 29, spent the year working out of SWB’s bullpen, where he held lefty batters to a .202 batting average against. He struck out 26 and walked just seven in 24 innings of work. Boone Logan is likely unavailable today after working in four of the last five days, so at least now they’ll have someone to match up with Carlos Pena, Matt Joyce, et al in the late innings. The move may also mean that Nick Swisher and Brett Gardner are doing well following their cortisone shots, since Huffman likely would have been insurance should either miss more time.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Godspeed, Huff. I will never forget being in person for your awesome diving catch in right field.

• larryf says:

and a big single to rf against the Dodgers. I met him at Scranton and he seemed like a nice guy. He also wore #7 at Scranton and in the outfield with pinstripes made me think of THE MICK…

2. VTYankeesFan says:

I understand the need for Ring, I don’t understand the removal of Huffman over Corona. With all the injuries we have right now in the OF, it would seem that Huffman could be a necessity, while Corona isn’t with Russo, Nunez and Pena in NY. I don’t think that either necessarily has much of a future in NY, but for right now, it would seem to make a heck of a lot more sense to have Huffman on the roster rather than Corona. Of course, neither were in NY, which was strange in and of itself, so who knows.

• theyankeewarrior says:

I’m also scratching my head over the DFA treatment to Huff. Couldn’t they move Corona to the 60-day and keep Huffman through the end of the season? If not, then I have to believe that Huffman has a better chance at contributing to the ML team than Corona. We already have someone better than him names Eduardo Nunez. At least Colin Curtis and Russo are only comparable to Huff and not clearly better choices. But in Cashman I trust.

• steve (different one) says:

Pretty sure the 60 day DL is only for players who were on the major league roster.

• zs190 says:

I don’t think you can put him on the 60 day DL because he was injured in the minor league. 60 day DL is for major leaguers only as far as I know.

I’m actually not sure that you can DFA/Release a minor leaguer that’s on the DL, maybe Mike or someone else can clarify that.

I’m not all that upset about Huffman DFA. He hasn’t hit all that great in the minors and he has very little defensive value. Russo/Curtis/Kearns/Granderson/Golson should be OK for the OF. In a pinch Thames and Pena can also play OF.

• Mike Axisa says:

They could have called up Corona and put him on the 60-day DL. You can definitely release a MiLer on the DL. They did it to Chris Garcia this year, Humberto Sanchez last year.

• Say what? says:

They have Golson for rf too remember?

3. Too bad; I thought Huffman could’ve at least been somewhat useful this year.

4. swo says:

Don’t you guys love it when Cashman reads your blog?

5. Steve From Waltham says:

Not sure it will happen, but is Royce Ring eligible for the Postseason? Just in case they want to carry two lefties.

• zs190 says:

Only if someone from the original 25 man roster on Sept. 1 is injured, I think. I don’t think they think highly enough of him to carry him on the playoffs roster regardless.

• Mike Axisa says:

They can because of Marte/Aceves being hurt before Sept. 1st. They have those two roster spots to play for postseason flexibility.

• Al says:

I sure hope so. Just about every team that the Yankees could potentially play in October have major hitting threats from the left side.

Rays: Pena, Crawford, Yankee killers: Johnson and Joyce, and to a lesser extent Brad Hawpe.

Twins: Mauer, Thome, Kubel, Span, and possible Morneau if he returns from his concussion.

Rangers: Hamilton and lesser players like Borbon, Moreland, and Murphy

Phillies: Howard, Utley, Ibanez and to a lesser extent Gload and Dobbs.

Reds: Votto, Bruce, and Edmonds off the bench

Padres: Adrian Gonzalez

Braves: McCann, Heyward, McClouth with Ankiel and Hinkse off the bench.

Giants: Huff

Rockies: Carlos Gonzalez, Seth Smith, Helton and Giambi off the bench

I don’t know why the Yankees wouldn’t think highly off him since he pitched to a 1.93 ERA in Scranton this season. If he’s not playoff eligible, then they should have brought him up by September 1st.

6. Cy Pettitte says:

not surprised they brought up Ring after how hard Logan’s been worked, having 1 lefty in the pen in September was beyond dumb. But I am surprised it was Huffman who got the axe

• vin says:

That pretty much sums it up. I was expecting Ring’s call up on 9/1. Corona seemed most likely to get axed. What do we know, though?

• steve (different one) says:

Why was it “beyond dumb”? They’ve done it all year. They did it all last year. Marte has popped up here and there, but for the most part they’ve had 1 lefty. The key is having excellent relievers like joba, drob, wood, aceves, etc who can get out righties AND lefties. Not Having 2 lefties for the sake of having 2 is complaining just to complain.

• steve (different one) says:

Sorry, I see now that you meant more in terms of roster expansion than normal bullpen construction. Ignore me.

• Cy Pettitte says:

Yea, I’m fine with not having Ring before roster expansion because he probably won’t be anywhere as good a Boone is now, but when they have space and expendable people on the 40 it’s nice to have the option.

7. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Royce Ring’s nickname has to be “The Precious”, right?

8. Avi says:

Sorry to bring this up off subject but thought you’d want to see this.
    This is from Jim Callis’ 2:00 chat on baseballamerica.com:

Eli (NY): Does Montero rank in top 10 prospects for 2011?

Jim Callis: Yes, easily. Jesus Montero is still one of the top five prospects in baseball, and I’d take him over Bryce Harper.

9. larryf says:

Ring will be perfect to bring in to face a lefty in the 5th inning. Hopefully, he won’t then give up a 3 run HR to the righty pinch hitter…

10. larryf says:

Maddon using MacGee last night gave Girardi courage to bring up Ring.

Courage I say, Courage!

11. Kiersten says:

Too bad he’s not a hitter. I’m sure Sterling’s catch phrase would be, umm… interesting.

12. Avi says:

The same Royce Ring that the mets traded for roberto alomar.
    Let’s hope any Metness has worn off him by now.
    Anyone know what lefties are hitting against him this year in scranton?

13. Not Tank the Frank says:

Is Ring a sidearm lefty with a funky delivery?

14. Borninthebk says:

You guys are forgetting Huffman’s .167 batting average in the majors. We have plenty of outfielders, we don’t have plenty of pitchers. Huffman will get picked up and good riddens.