Oct

Feeling confident about the Yanks’ chances

In describing yesterday’s Game 5 victory, Cliff Corcoran of Pinstriped Bible makes a connection to the past:

Perhaps its because, after being dominated by the Rangers for four games, a single win, even a lop-sided one such as the 7-2 Game Five, doesn’t carry enough weight to restore balance to the series. Whatever it is, Game Five felt like a repeat of Game Three of the 2007 Division Series against the Indians, a face-saving but empty victory that did little other than postpone the inevitable series loss suffered in the following game.

That someone would compare this situation to 2007 was inevitable; it was not only the last time the Yankees lost a playoff series, but it’s the last time they faced an elimination game in the playoffs before yesterday. It’s the freshest, most vivid instance that we can recall, and so it weighs on our minds more heavily than instances from the more distant past. Not that there are many better comparable situations in the recent past. The last time the Yankees were down 3-1 or worse in a seven-game series was in 1976.

That’s not to say that we can’t find certain parallels to the 2007 team. Both squads had question marks on the pitching staff. The 2007 team had Chien-Ming Wang as its ace, and while he had a good regular season he bombed in the playoffs. CC Sabathia wasn’t quite that bad in the ALCS, and he actually overcame some control and stuff issues in Game 5, whereas Wang couldn’t find himself at all in 2007′s elimination game. Sabathia also performed far better than Roger Clemens, who pitched the first elimination game of 2007. You might remember that as the day Phil Hughes became a man.

Speaking of Hughes, he takes Wang’s part in this parallel story, since he pitches the second elimination game. It’s tough to make a comparison, because it’s impossible to eliminate hindsight from the equation. Did I feel confident in Wang coming back on three days’ rest to pitch Game 4 in that series? I believe I did at the time. And I believe that the confidence didn’t so much wane in the early goings as it did completely die. With Hughes the situation is a bit different. He’s not coming back on short rest because the Yankees have no one else; rather, he’s coming back on an extra day’s rest.

Still, I’m not convinced of the parallels between the 2007 Yankees and the 2010 Yankees. As I wrote yesterday, I see more parallels between the 2007 Red Sox and the 2010 Yankees. The 07 Sox, you’ll remember, were on top of the division all season. On September 3 they were 83-55, seven games up on the Yanks. They ended 96-66, just two games up on the Yanks after letting them get to within a game and a half. They then swept Anaheim in the ALDS before going down 3-1, in the same manner as the 2010 Yanks, in the ALCS. They brought in their ace, Josh Beckett, for Game 5, and ended up winning the next three games.

When making comparisons, it’s easy to look to the team’s own past. But the 2010 Yankees are as different from the 2007 Yankees as they are from the 2007 Red Sox. There might be some familiar names, but their games have changed since then. Given that the 2010 Yankees romped through the first round, where the 2007 Yankees faltered, I’m more drawn to the 2007 Sox comparison. It doesn’t hurt that the ending was a bit happier.

Categories : Musings

1. Jimmy McNulty says:

There only managed to out play Texas for 15 innings out of five games. I mean I’m glad that they kept Texas from celebrating in the Bronx, but I mean…Texas pounced on Hughes last time out and Cliff Lee is still Cliff Lee. By the way is Teixeira out for the series, I ignored all Yankee News from the 7th inning of G4 to the start of G5.

• Max says:

The Rangers are a good team – I don’t think anyone can dispute that. But Colby Lewis? He is not as good as Phil Hughes. What we can really hope is that Hughes holds the Rangers reasonably well and the offense shows up the way it did yesterday. If we desperately need every starter to only give up 1 run (or actually for that matter the entire pitching staff) then we’re screwed. If Hughes can go 5-6 innings and give up 4 runs when we’ve scored 6-8 runs, it’s a different story.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah…I’m not too confident about the Yankee bats removing their heads from their asses.

• Max says:

It’s not just the Yankees batting better, now that I’ve thought about it more. It’s also that the Rangers have been riding a BABIP lucky streak like nobody’s business. Infield singles on the foul line? Really?

• chris c. says:

“The Rangers are (hopefully were) red hot and are in need of a regression back to the mean. Here’s hoping that yesterday was the start of that.”

Can we keep things in perspective here? The Yankees ace was on the mound yesterday. That’s why the Rangers weren’t teeing off. And this time around, Sabathia wasn’t sitting around 9 days waiting to pitch.

• Rob says:

The 2010 season says Colby Lewis – all 196 Ks of his – is *better* than Hughes

• Hummingbird S. says:

Phil Hughes’ ERA+ was 102 this season. Colby Lewis was at 116.

• chris c. says:

Phil Hughes’ ERA+ was 102 this season. Colby Lewis was at 116.

Big deal. What was Hughes’ ERA in Texas during Game 2?
          Park adjusted bullshit has nothing to do with that! Hughes now has to go back to a place he gave up 7 runs in less than a week ago. Lewis gave up NONE that very same day.

• chris c. says:

“Tex is out for the season. So be ready for a lot of innings of Fat Elvis/Puma at 1b. Not that that’s totally awful the way Tex has been at the plate during the playoffs, but yeah he’s out.”

Oh, it’s totally aweful. Teixeira’s glove has aided the Yankees with a few sweet plays this series that saved runs or shortened innings. And just because he hasn’t hit doesn’t mean he’s not a legitimate threat at the plate to break out.
        Plus, now AROD no longer has the protection of Cano behind him. I know he hasn’t been smoking the ball either, but at least there was a guy following him the Rangers didn’t want to face.

• chris c. says:

“The Rangers are a good team – I don’t think anyone can dispute that. But Colby Lewis? He is not as good as Phil Hughes.”

Let’s see…..in over 200 season innings, he has a lower ERA and WHIP than Hughes, and outpitched him by a mile 5 days ago.
        But hey, if you say so.

“If Hughes can go 5-6 innings and give up 4 runs when we’ve scored 6-8 runs, it’s a different story.”

You’ve just unlocked the secret to successfully winning ANY baseball game. Yes, that certainly would be a “different story” than the saga of Game 2.

2. CountryClub says:

After game 4, I felt very confident that they would get this to a game 7. One win later, I obviously still feel that way. I expected the Yanks to hit Wilson and Lewis the 2nd time they saw them. And I also expected CC and Hughes to pitch better (they really couldn’t pitch worse). I’m sure a lot of fans don;t have a lot of confidence in Hughes for various reasons, but I think he’s going to come up big tomorrow night.

3. RL says:

One game at a time. The offense needs to keep it going and Hughes needs to be decent (3 or not more than 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings). Girardi needs to understand this is the playoffs and be ready to pull Hughes at any point after he’s given up 3 runs and appears headed for trouble. I’d pull him at any time after 3 runs and a runner on with less than 2 outs (unless it’s an idd play leading to that baserunner and his stuff still lokks good).

Every hand should be on deck. Use Pettitte if necessary and have CC pitch Game 7 if it gets to that. Tomorrow is the only game that matters.

• A.D. says:

They won’t start CC on 2 days rest for game 7, that said if Pettitte is needed, he’s needed and you come back with AJ on short rest in game 7 if need be, but no reason to save someone for game 7 if game 6 isn’t going to be won because of it.

• chris c. says:

“One game at a time. The offense needs to keep it going and Hughes needs to be decent (3 or not more than 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings).”

Well geez, I hope he can do better than that, considering the Yankees did not score off his opponent last game. Hughes pitching to a 6.00 era is decent?

4. Big Stein says:

I gotta give the Red Sox Nation some credit. Sure the fan base is full of trailer trash, with missing teeth, who rob banks for a living, but the drunks never give up.

• Rob says:

“Freaking neurotic new yorkers can only see doom. It’s no wonder why there’s so many shirks in the area.”

This wasn’t true before 2001 then 2004.

• Big Stein says:

I hate to sound like an old man, because I’m only in my mid 40s, but when I was growing up we lost the 1976 and 1981 world series as well as the 1980 ALCS, and we didn’t go into a shell, shivering at shadows. This, even though we had the daily dysfunction of Billy and George in full swing.

• Rob says:

Yeah, not my Yankees. At my first game I watched the Yogi-led Yanks against the Sox. I grew up in the 80s so I only knew really bad and really good. Heartbreak arrived in 2001 and with 9/11. 2004 then through 2007 killed any fanboy hope.

• chris c. says:

“Yeah, not my Yankees. At my first game I watched the Yogi-led Yanks against the Sox.”

What are the odds of actually remembering a Yankee game managed by Yogi Berra?

“I grew up in the 80s so I only knew really bad and really good.”

There were only about 3-4 years of really bad over the past 35. Must have been tough to live through, huh?

“Heartbreak arrived in 2001 and with 9/11.”

I hear ya there!

“2004 then through 2007 killed any fanboy hope.”

What in the world does this even mean?

• JFH says:

agreed. i remember those childhood days too.

even when we were perennial 2nd place finishers in the 80′s, we were “a stouter bunch” then we are now.

• chris c. says:

“even when we were perennial 2nd place finishers in the 80?s, we were “a stouter bunch” then we are now.”

Yeah, the good ol’ days were always perfect 20 years after they happen. Reggie Jackson would homer twice in a game, then get booed when he struck out, so don’t hand me this nonsense. And Winfield was never appreciated here, even though he had some stellar seasons. And the fans still cried for Steinbrenner to sign every top free agents…….even if they were over 35!
            If anything, today’s fans may be spoiled, but they’re also smarter about that stuff…….they’d call the Yankees stupid for bringing in Gaylord Perry, Phil Niekro, and injury-prone Britt Burns. And they wouldn’t fall for Andy Hawkins being a savior based on one standout season.

And if minor league stud Willie Mcgee was dealt for a 40 year old injury-prone closer??? Drabek for aging Rhoden? Buhner for chubby old Ken Phelps? Let’s just politely say that wouldn’t fly with today’s fan base.

• chris c. says:

“I hate to sound like an old man, because I’m only in my mid 40s, but when I was growing up we lost the 1976 and 1981 world series as well as the 1980 ALCS, and we didn’t go into a shell, shivering at shadows”

That’s because you weren’t spoiled rotten with 15 postseasons in 16 years.

“This, even though we had the daily dysfunction of Billy and George in full swing.”

Tight…..they were a distration for you. You didn’t need to complain, because Steinbrenner was like the lawyer doing all the complaining on your behalf.

“But new yawk was a stouter bunch back then. I blame gentrification for the softening.”

Oh. c’mon now. The reason is nothing more than the fans now being spoiled. It has nothing to do with the fact that the hardcore fans have been displaced from their stadium seating by wealthy people. The stouter bunch is still around, but this generation of them now view the team in a different light. They were conditioned by constant success.

“ole, the good ole days, when new yawkers used to rush the field and tear it to pieces after a playoff victory.”

That has nothing to do with anything other than more beefed up security and more stringent punishments for such actions. And it was stupid to begin with. You think players enjoyed that?

• A.D. says:

From my experience Red Sox fans see doom/act very similar to Yankees fans when their team isn’t playing well, it’s the nature of fans.

• Ghost of Scott Brosius says:

Eh, the teams with the highest expectations and the best teams always have the fans that freak out the most when they struggle – it makes sense. They’ve been led to believe all season that they’re very good and should win, so they get upset when things take a turn for the disastrous. I don’t think that’s so irrational.

5. Frank says:

“…even a lop-sided one such as the 7-2 Game Five”

Am I the only one who feels yesterday win wasn’t lop-sided? Maybe it was because CC was laboring to barely get through 6 innings. It just seemed to me the game was much closer than the score indicates.

I watched this game from beginning to end and I saw a team that still struggles to get big hits. They could easily have put more than 10 runs on the board. A-Rod is really going to have to step up if this team is going to advance, especially with Tex out (not that he was doing anything offensively); Thames has to do better than hit infield pop-ups or K; Gardner has to learn to get on base again; and someone from the BP, other than Wood and Mo, have to step up and shut the door. Yesterday was good start. But let’s not fool ourselves. This team still needs to play much better to move on.

• CountryClub says:

I agree; the offensive struggles kept the game closer than it should have been.

• mustang says:

“It just seemed to me the game was much closer than the score indicates.”

Totally agree. It felt more like a one or two run game.

• A.D. says:

Yup, especially given that the team gave up 12 hits, small miracle only 2 runs crossed the plate.

• pete says:

you could have said the same thing about game 2, though. I felt pretty much until the end of that game that our offense was going to score 6-8 runs. They kept pounding long, hard line drives into the glove of Nelson Cruz. Yeah, I just said that.

6. mustang says:

Yesterday’s win meant two things:
    1- Texas didn’t get to celebrate in the Bronx.
    2- They are going to game 6.

If the Yankees want any respect in this series after the way they played take to game 7.

7. Rob says:

I’m pumped about the win, but realistic about what needs to happen:

1. Phil Hughes has to pitch great tonight. He needs to just strangle the life from the Rangers. With him it’s possible, but I’m less than 50/50 in believing it. He hasn’t had a game score north of 70 since May.

2. The offense needs to smack around a guy with a 8.8 K/9 via a 2.9 BB/9. The Yankees weren’t too bad against him in Game 2 *if* they can hit with RISP. But Hughes has to bring it to give them that shot.

3. Cliff Lee is the rare breed where the hype is perhaps insufficient to describe his awesomeness. Dominant doesn’t describe what he did in Game 3 and the last two seasons. The guys is plain fun to watch because he’s so filthy. Just a comparison he’s throwing a moving 93 mph then can just a knee-buckler at 75 mph. Add the pinpoint control and I simply don’t see the room to beat him. But that is why they play the game, if the Yankees get there.

4. Pettitte has to be perfect. The Yankees lost that game because of one average pitch in the 1st inning. And with last outs, and the uncertainty of the Yankee pen, he needs to go deep. It’s something we have seen from Pettitte since July.

I give the Yanks a 10% chance. 50/50 in Game 6 and 20% in Game 7. It’s possible but it doesn’t look good. In 2007 it was Schilling vs. Carmona and then Matsuzaka vs. Westbrook. The Sox also had homefield.

It’s dire but no hopeless.

• pat says:

Believe it or not, Cliff Lee has lost games this season.

• It'sATarp says:

LIES LIES LIES..TBS SAYS CLIFF LEE IS THE MOST PERFECT AWESOMEST PITCH THIS SIDE OF THE UNIVERSE!! No way he loses games, he just didn’t feel like winning them.

• A.D. says:

Certainly true, but he nor his team the day he has started has ever lost one in the postseason, and he’s given up more that 1 ER once, against the Yanks last year.

That said, I really don’t believe he’s unbeatable, all streaks come to an end.

• Andrew says:

Lee dominated the Yankees in NY in his first start in WS09, then got touched up (for him) in his second start at home and could have lost if not for having faced off against AJ. I personally think the bats will do better against Lee in Game 7 if the series gets there. No idea if the story will actually repeat itself, or if it will be enough to pull out a win, but I have hope at least, more than I could say after Tuesday night.

• JGS says:

5 runs in 7 innings is “getting touched up” for anyone, not just Lee.

• Rob says:

That said, it should be a great game if we get there.

• JGS says:

The fact that Lee is better than Pettitte, while true (and no one is arguing otherwise), doesn’t mean that Pettitte is incapable of outdueling Lee for one night.

• Rob says:

I have more confidence in the Yanks scoring 5 runs off Lee than in Pettitte winning a pitcher’s duel. See also Game 6, 2001. And back then Pettitte could still top 92 mph.

• Steve H says:

See also Game 6, 2001. And back then Pettitte could still top 92 mph.

That’s completely unrelated. Pettitte doesn’t need to win a pitchers duel. He has no control over what the other pitcher does. We know that Pettitte is very capable of pitching well enough to win.

• Rob says:

If the opponent weren’t significantly better.

• Steve H says:

A game from 9 years ago has zero bearing on a potential Game 7. Zero.

• chris c. says:

“If the opponent weren’t significantly better.”

Do we need to cite all the postseason pitchers who were better than the opposing pitcher, yet were outdueled on that one particular day?

It really would be a fucking waste of time to have to do that, all on account of you being a thick-headed whiner.

• JGS says:

He was tipping his pitches in that one.

Pettitte already won two pitcher’s duels in this postseason.

And if you want to go back far enough as to have no impact on today, then I can point to Game 5 of the 1996 WS.

• Rob says:

And already lost one.

• JGS says:

So? He still pitched fantastically well. Anything after that isn’t his fault. If Andy can give us another 7 inning, 2 run start, then if we lose it won’t be on him.

• Rob says:

Yeah, I don’t think that will be enough. Not in that park and with some of those hitters.

• Andrew says:

“Those hitters” didn’t do anything against him in Game 3. Being doom and gloom about facing Lee I totally understand. Totally underselling Pettitte’s ability to pitch a great game, that just doesn’t compute. If it gets to 7, Pettitte is right now the Yankees’ best starter based on recent form. That’s all you can ask for, and assuming he’ll flop is way too pessimistic and goes against recent history & performance.

• Tim says:

@Rob

2010 Cliff Lee : 12-9, 3.18 ERA, 4.3 bWAR, 130 ERA+

1996 John Smoltz : 24-8, 2.94 ERA, 6.1 bWAR, 149 ERA+.

1996 John Smoltz postseason : 38 IP, 4 ER, 0.95 ERA.

Except for all that, your point is right. Andy Pettitte can’t POSSIBLY outpitch someone as good as Cliff Lee. Ever.

• chris c. says:

“I have more confidence in the Yanks scoring 5 runs off Lee than in Pettitte winning a pitcher’s duel.”

The fact is this…….if Pettitte doesn’t allow the Rangers to score, or holds it to an extreme minimum, he has every chance of winning a pitcher’s dual against Cliff Lee.

“See also Game 6, 2001. And back then Pettitte could still top 92 mph.”

Irrelevent bullshit. I have no patience for people complaining about a postseason Andy Pettite. If he didn’t pitch to your liking in Game 3, that’s you’re problem, because he did pitch well enough to win. If the Yankees can’t score a run of Cliff Lee, then it doesn’t matter who they send to the mound against him.

• pat says:

Andy Pettitte gave up infinitely more runs than Lee did last time they faced off.

WE R DOoMED

• chris c. says:

“Pettitte is the problem, Andrew. Compare him to Lee – stuff and location. It’s no contest.”

Oh, okay…….so if Pettite goes out and tosses 7 innings of zero or 1 run ball, you don’t think it will be a contest? This is not an arm wrestling match. Pettitte pitches to one offense, while Lee pitches to another.

Go ask John Smoltz if he thinks Pettite is capable of winning the game.

• chris c. says:

Cliff Lee doesn’t give a shit about the regular season.

• Thomas says:

In 2007 it was Schilling vs. Carmona and then Matsuzaka vs. Westbrook.

So the Indians had the better pitcher in both games, like you’re trying to claim the Rangers do.

• Rob says:

Yeah, Schilling sucked, especially in the post-season. Carmona imploded in the ALCS. Dice-K also had the better year in 2007 than Westbrook – twice as many Ks in 50 more innings.

• Bill in Boston says:

He hasn’t had a game score north of 70 since May.

Don’t let facts get in the way of that argument of yours.

• chris c. says:

“4. Pettitte has to be perfect. The Yankees lost that game because of one average pitch in the 1st inning.”

No, they lost that game because they scored ZERO runs!!!! You cannot possibly win a baseball game if nobody crosses home plate.
      Pettitte pitched to his ERA. The Yankee offense did not hit to their averages. That’s why they lost.
      Don’t blame the only guy on the team that contributed any value that day.

8. Matt DiBari says:

If the Yankees get beat by Wang’ twice in a week, they just weren’t good enough. And if they can force game seven, I think anything can happen. Game sevens don’t always follow the script.

9. rahboogz says:

The best thing that the Yankees can do is not even worry about a game 7. Focus on Friday night. It is a very winnable game and Hughes has been a good pitcher all year so there is no reason he can’t go out there and give them a good effort. The pressure now falls squarely on Texas whether they want to believe it or not. If the Yanks can grab an early lead, the noose starts to become a bit tighter on the Rangers side. Even with Cliff Lee looming in a potential Game 7, they clearly wouldn’t want any part of that. They are still a relatively young team that thought they had the Yankees beat. Put them in a do or die situation and they’ll be choking the sawdust out of those bats. And that plays right into the hands of a veteran pitcher like Andy Pettitte. So this series is far from over.

• Frank says:

Absolutely agree. Tomorrow’s game is very winnable. Hughes needs to pitch well (at least 6 quality innings) and the offense needs to pound Lewis.

10. mike c (LETS GO YANK KEEEZ) says:

fun fact: in postseason series down 3-2, the yankees are 6/8

11. Andrew says:

As an optimist, I give the Yanks a 33% chance of pulling this off – 66% in game 6 and 50% in game 7. Lee’s awesome, but we have won a game he started in Texas already this year.

• Rob says:

How many times has he pitched against the Yankees this year? Last year? In the post-season? How many have the Yankees won?

That’s your probability right there. It ain’t 50%. I doubt it’s 20%.

• Mike says:

Ah yes, because last years Yankees and last years Phillies are identical to this years Yankees and this years Rangers. How silly of him to not base probability on historical scores that have no bearing on this particular game. CMW won 19 games a couple times, does that mean if/when he ever pitches again the Nats should be favored based on historical data?

• chris c. says:

“Lee’s awesome, but we have won a game he started in Texas already this year.”

Terrific…….you know who also won games against Lee this year? Cormier, Bergeson, and Braden. Get the drift?

12. TLVP says:

It’s interesting that the betting exchanges are giving us a 50/50 chance of winning game 6 and a 50/50 chance of winning game 7 (we’re 2:1 to win game 6 and 4:1 to win the series)

My problem is that I’m the only partner at my firm that isn’t based in Dallas so they gave me a lot of grief after game 4. Yesterday’s win will help and a game 6 win would be sweet even if we lost in the end

• toad says:

Huh?

If we’re 2:1 to win game 6 doesn’t that mean we have a 1/3 chance? That seems too low, but 2/3 seems too high if you’re stating the odds the other way. But you can’t be doing that since we obviously are not 80% to win the series.

I think you have something turned around.

13. vin says:

There are 3 big differences between this year and the ’07 Sox:

1) The Sox were going home for games 6 and 7
    2) The Sox weren’t without Youkilis for those games
    3) The Sox didn’t have to face the best pitcher in baseball in game 7.

This comeback will be that much more impressive.

• Jerome S says:

Yes but the Red Sox used all of their grit to do it while the Yankees obviously just bought the last two games.
      Sincerely,
      ESPN.

14. Hughesus Christo says:

Any news on Nelson Cruz yet?

• vin says:

Last I heard was he expects to be able to play in game 6. But that was from Olney sometime yesterday evening.

• Mike R says:

Seen a quote from Cruz he’s “definitely” playing in game six.. The thing is if you looked how slow he looked retrieving the double and then running around on the bases on his double you gotta think it’s a little worse than his hamstring “tightening up”

15. SodaPopinski says:

I’m excited about our comeback! It’s going to be a great weekend of baseball!

16. Mike HC says:

My head agrees with Corcoran and my heart agrees with Joe.

17. Fair Weather Freddy says:

Yanks hit some hard shots off Lewis early in game 2 that were right at people, so he was alittle lucky. By the 3rd inning, Rangers had such a big lead he could relax a little more with such a big cushion. I expect Hughes to be much better this time. If he can keep it to 2-3 runs through 6, I like our chances, especially with the bats finally showing signs of waking up.

18. toad says:

Living in Boston, and reading the local pages, I agree with this.

A bad stretch is the end of the world for Red Sox fans. It’s expressed a little differently maybe. More like,
    “well, what did you expect,” rather than “those worthless overpaid slackers,” but the leap to pessimism is just as quick.

19. Not Really Nick Swisher says:

Cliff is one of those glass half empty kind of dudes.

20. Some genuinely prime posts on this web site , saved to bookmarks .