Oct

Friday Notes: Pitching Coach, Payroll, Lineup, CC, More

Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman spoke to the media via conference call today and hit on a few topics, so lets’ round it all up. All the info below comes courtesy of RAB fave Marc Carig

• Girardi and Cashman have brainstormed about potential pitching coaches, but so far they have not yet reached out to anyone nor have they scheduled any interviews. Cashman doesn’t expect the process to move quickly, which is kinda surprising. He added that bullpen coach Mike Harkey and Triple-A Scranton pitching coach Scott Aldred are candidates for the job.
  • Cashman on hitting coach Kevin Long: “I think he’d like to stay. We’d like to keep him. I think he’s exceptional at what he does.” K-Long’s contract is up, and I suspect he’s seeking a considerable raise and multiple years. He deserves it.
  • “Nothing’s really going to happen until I sit down with my bosses,” said Cashman. He’ll meet with Hal Steinbrenner and whoever else on Monday and Tuesday in Tampa. The 2011 payroll will be hashed out during those meetings.
  • Beyond pitching, Cashman doesn’t think the team “needs a lot of changes.” The only change they need as far as the lineup goes is for certain guys to get back to performing up to their full potential. That’s the biggest upgrade they could make.
  • “Our lineup is maybe something that could change next year,” said Girardi. I think that’s code for “Derek Jeter won’t keep hitting leadoff if he doesn’t get on base more than 34% of the time,” or at least I hope it is.
  • CC Sabathia was dealing with his knee issue since early in the season, and it had no bearing on why he wasn’t used in relief in Game Six of the ALCS. They suspect it may have affected his mechanics, which is kinda crazy since he still had a Cy Young caliber season. Sabathia had surgery to repair the minor meniscus tear in his right knee today and will need three weeks to rehab, as expected. It won’t hurt his offseason training at all, he usually doesn’t start throwing again until after Christmas anyway.
  • As far as leaving for the Cubs, Girardi said he “didn’t really think about leaving the Yankees.” The idea of him bolting for Chicago was mostly fan and media speculation, anyway. Two and two made three, then we tried to squeeze it into four.
Categories : News

1. mko says:

As far as the lineup maybe changing:
    I propose Cano hitting 3rd, knowing full well that his next season might not be as good as this one, and sliding Tex down to 5th. And maybe even further down during his slump to start the season.

What do you guys think? Don’t “big power” but “lower average” guys hit 5th usually anyway? Maybe you could do an analysis if that would have led to more runs being scored, if something like this is possible? Or maybe do it next March so it’s fresh on everybody’s minds?

• whozat says:

Tex generally has a higher OBP than Robby, indicating that it makes more sense to bat him higher.

That said, while Tex is sucking in April, could totally make sense to move Cano up.

• mko says:

You’re right, I didn’t consider the OBP. But this year Robbie was superior there as well, who knows how it will develop.

• Joe P says:

I completely agree. I was so frustrated during April 2010 when Cano was red hot and Tex was doing nothing but continued to bat 3rd. Makes no sense.

2. Jerome S says:

Kinda looking forward to the new pitching coach.
    I feel oddly optimistic about AJ’s 2011, so a new coach will probably help.

• Thomas says:

Just to throw it out there. Burnett sucked when Eiland was on his leave of absence and Harkey was the interim pitching coach. A new pitching coach might not be the solution or it may take another year or two.

• I am not the droids you're looking for says:

Maybe I’m being unduly optimistic but I have to think that on a simple regress to the mean basis AJ simply has to have a better season in 2011. And with his stuff – even diminished – it could be a *much* better season.

• Slugger27 says:

a regression, yes…. but not a big one

aj had poor luck on balls in play and a low strand rate… but his K rate plummeted

he’s not as bad as 2010, but im still not sure 2009 aj is coming back. its likely itll be somewhere in between

• Not Tank the Frank says:

Burnett sucked no matter who coached him. He sucked the entire year minus April and a couple starts in July. He sucked last year too only he had more strikeouts and better luck on fly balls.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I definitely don’t think Burnett sucked last year; he was solid in the regular season and came up with some big playoff outings. It’s fair to say just about everyone would take another 2009-type season from him (200-plus innings, 4.04 ERA/4.33 FIP/4.29 xFIP, 3.4 fWAR, and 8.48 K/9).

• steve (different one) says:

Saying AJ sucked in 2009 is nonsense.

• Kiersten says:

Yeah but a month isn’t exactly long enough to work with him. Maybe someone new will be able to help during ST.

3. steve (different one) says:

I have inside info on the new yankee pitching coach. It’s whomever Cliff Lee wants them to hire. J/K. Sortof

4. Hughesus Christo says:

Gardner
    Jeter
    Cano
    Tex
    ARod
    Posada
    Granderson
    Swisher
    Sub of the Day (revolving DH)

You’re welcome

5. Doug says:

“The only change they need as far as the lineup goes is for certain guys to get back to performing up to their full potential.”

unfortunately, for some of the guys, that full potential probably peaked 2-3 years ago.

6. Does anybody know anything about Curt Young? I’ve heard his name connected with the Yanks’ opening, and it seems like a good fit since Oakland’s young pitchers have been very good.

• Steve H says:

I don’t know much about him, but Oakland’s young pitchers have been good because they’re pretty damn talented (and play in a big park). I don’t know how much of their success can be attributed to Young. He might be awesome, but as with most hitting and pitching coaches, there’s no great way to determine their worth. I know the Sox were interested in Young as well though, so he at least is well thought of in the game.

7. Sal says:

Do you guys think Cashman will make a quick strike offer with Lee like they did with CC? And will Lee drag out his response several weeks like CC did?

8. Granderslam says:

So while I am aware that Girardi’s reference to a potential lineup change indicated repositioning his players, does anyone think he hinted the possibility of new players coming in to change things up?

9. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

The Yankees has committed way too much dollars and years to most of the positions on the field. I don’t see any major lineup changes in the foreseeable future sans within.

If I can trade Gardner and plus for kemp I do it. As far as Jeet goes, I would love to dump his salary and age for Nunez plus a ML back up like Omar and use that money to find a player who will be worth of his fld value. But the Yanks won’t.

10. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

Curt Young is a good candidate, I hope the Yanks go after him.

11. Leo in Houston says:

Jeter has to down to 6th or 7th–at least.
    A-Rod will stay 4th.
    Tex might be 5th and Cano 3rd, but prob Tex stays 3rd.
    I’m not at all sure Cliff Lee ends up in Bronx.( if Rangers lose WS, Yanks chances go up IMO ).
    If we don’t get Lee, what is plan B ???

12. Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

Can’t bat Jeter second after Gardy. Time to move down Captain. Cano can bat 2nd or 3rd as long as he mashes in the first inning. I prefer 3rd after Swish/Grandy but second would be kind of cool and some have said your best hitter should bat second or fourth.

13. Andrew Brotherton says:

I think it should be
    1. Granderson
    2. Swisher
    3. Cano
    4. Tex
    5. Arod
    6. Posada
    7. Montero
    8. Jeter
    9. Gardner

Curt Young is my vote too

• Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

not bad. I like a lefty batting after Gardy. Gives a slight edge to the base stealer. Jeter after Gardy would be the worst.