Oct

Gerry Davis set to lead ALCS umping crew

Twenty-seven year MLB veteran Gerry Davis will be the crew chief for the ALCS, Major League Baseball announced today. This is Davis’ 21st career postseason series and his eighth League Championship Series. Joining Davis around the bases and in the outfield will be Brian Gorman, Angel Hernandez, Fieldin Culbreth, Jim Reynolds and Tony Randazzo. MLB has yet announced the home plate umpire rotation for the series.

By and large, Davis and his crew are a great of controversy-free umpires, and one of them — Culbreth — drew the ALCS last year. But the inclusion of Angel Hernandez raises some eyebrows. Hernandez was one of the who resigned in 1999 but managed to retain his job despite being bad at it. He has constantly ranked among the dregs of the MLB umps and was voted third-worst by the players in 2006. Yankee fans may remember him as the ump who ejected Joba Chamberlain for missing Kevin Youkilis with a pitch and the guy responsible for some early-season gripes from Red Sox fans.

Categories : Asides, Playoffs

1. Tom Zig says:

I wish I had a job that rewarded me for being bad at it.

2. I posted this link on twitter awhile ago that basically says Gerry Davis had the smallest strike zone in the majors in 2007.

3. Pat D says:

Why am I thinking that Culbreth has been rated pretty badly? I remember his name, and, frankly, I only know the names of umpires who are pretty bad, involved in some kind of controversy or in a league of their own (Cowboy Joe). So Culbreth’s name is sticking in my mind.

Can anyone back me up on this?

4. Adam B. says:

Yep Angel gets it, but Jim Joyce sits at home.

5. General Tso's Chicken says:

Oh no! Not the Angel of Errors! No! Not that!

6. guest says:

Isn’t Randazzo infamous for something? Or is it (again) just the name?

/ethnic stereotyped

7. Sam says:

Angel Hernandez? Seriously? http://tinyurl.com/2ey4lbk (language)

8. Yank the Frank says:

It’s a fact, umpires strike zones are directly in line to the size of their penis. Look it up in Baseball Erectus.

9. Jerome S. says:

As much as we dump on umpires, I’d imagine that it’s a difficult job requiring a lot of skill to do correctly. A ball moving at 90 + miles an hour, usually with movement, and an invisible zone? Sounds painful to have to make 100+ calls a night.
    That being said, all umpires in major league baseball should be able to mostly accurate, and when they’re not (in certain cases) we should have instant replay.

I just think it’s unfair to suggest that an umpire is trying to blow the game.

10. Carcillo says:

Gerry Davis was the crew chief in the World Series last year. Gorman was also on that crew.

11. Mister Delaware says:

Only question is whether Hernandez will grab for the spotlight in the field or wait until he’s behind the plate.

12. Carcillo says:

When I think of Angel Hernandez, I think of the guy from Chicago who was doing Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and afterwards said he’d talk with the umpire (Hernandez) after the game after a blown call cost the Cubs a run, or something like that.

It was an obscure event in 2001 involving two teams I don’t care about, so pardon the vagueness of my recollection.

13. I Voted for Kodos says:

If an umpire is doing his job the right way, there should be very little reason for those watching the game to know his name. You might learn the names of the good ones after a while, but it would probably take repeated viewings for their name to stick out.

Angel Hernandez is the first umpire I could ever name. He seems to have one gigantic, hilariously bad screw up in every game. I have no idea how he has a job.

14. Pasqua says:

Angel Hernandez is the epitome of “Look-at-Me-Umpiring.” I loathe him on the baseball field. Loathe him. He loves to interject himself into the narrative of a game.

How players can resist hitting him in the face remains a mystery.

Vegas should have an over/under on how many times Angel Hernandez removes his mask to stare down a player or coach over the course of a game. I’ll set it at three-and-a-half.