Oct

Pettitte battled back and hamstring issues in ALDS

Via Marc Carig and Ben Shpigel, Andy Pettitte‘s back and hamstrings tightened up during his Game Two start in the ALDS, which is why he was pushed back to Game Three of the ALCS. Andy also had to cut his between-start bullpen session short, and if the LDS had gone five games there’s a chance he might not have been able to start. At 38-years-old, it’s hard to be surprised that the lefty was battling nagging injuries down the stretch, it’s what guys that age do.

It’s almost like everyone bashing Joe Girardi for flipping Pettitte and Phil Hughes in the ALCS rotation didn’t have all the information and now look stupid for criticizing him. Funny.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Yank the Frank says:

And with all that, Andy was our best starter in the ALCS.

2. bexarama says:

Andy Pettitte is a man.

• Betty Lizard says:

Andy Pettitte is a man.

Jeez, Bex, now I have visions of Andy Pettitte, dressed in a towel and not much else, singing (to the tune of I’m a Woman):

If you come to me sickly you know I’m gonna make you well
      If you come to me all hexed up you know I’m gonna break the spell
      If you come to me hungry you know I’m gonna fill you full of grits
      If it’s pitchin’ you’re likin, I’ll windup and give you the shiverin’ fits

‘Cause I’m a pitcher! P-I-T-C-H-E-R, I’ll say it again

• bexarama says:

now I have visions of Andy Pettitte, dressed in a towel and not much else

You could’ve just stopped right there and this would’ve been the greatest comment in RAB history.

3. steve (different one) says:

I’m confused, didn’t this very item make RAB’s own list of second guesses? Obviously that wasn’t written in a way that was “bashing”, but it was still a piece calling out Girardi, and this was one of the 6 reasons why.

4. nsalem says:

If it was information that rightfully should not have been made public,
    why would you say people look stupid for criticizing him. At face value
    and without the proper information it was a decision that should have been questioned.

• Adam says:

Sure, but I think the overriding point is that for all the second guessing and armchair managing that we have seen time and again that decisions are made with a full range of information that we all don’t necessarily know at the time. That instead of Girardi (or whoever) being an idiot that he is actually making decisions on a whole range of information.

• nsalem says:

Of course Girardi made the right decision by not being forthcoming about Andy’s injury. The fan base however
        were within in their rights to question the decision,
        based on the misinformation that was presented to us.
        We were led to believe that he was doing it because
        Hughes had pitched so well in previous two or three starts
        in Texas and how “pivotal” a Game 3 can be. I disagree with
        some of the disrespectful comments that I have seen about
        Girard on this site. Fans do have the right though to
        question a managers decision when the reasons seem like weak ones. Assuming Pettitte was healthy having him start Game 2
        (due to past performance and experience) seemed like the more compelling argument.

• rbizzler says:

It is not the fact that people were questioning the decision, but more the tone of the criticism. If you are going to use all sorts of hyperbole to criticize a decision, you better be ready to eat your words when information comes to light that contradicts/nullifies your opinion.

• Tim says:

Maybe the take-home here is if you think the manager is making an egregiously stupid decision (that is not a quick decision in the heat of the game), you probably aren’t privy to some piece of information that makes the decision make a whole lot more sense. You have the right to question the decision, but he gets paid to be the manager for a reason, and you don’t.

5. Nuke Ladoosh says:

“Didn’t have the information and now look stupid”
    What? Cocksure ignorance? From the MSM and Blog posters? Unheard of! :-)

6. Avi says:

This sounds like damage control to me. The yankees are trying to make the decision to start Hughes over Pettitte in games 2 and 6 look good.
    Giving pettitte one more day off between his two playoff starts is really gonna make that much of a difference? come on

• steve (different one) says:

Damage control for whom? The nerds on the internet?? Define the “damage” they are trying to control.

• Avi says:

It’s a great second guess. One that was even brought up on this website. I’m sure there are MANY people out there that feel Pettitte should’ve started 2 and 6 over Hughes.
        Pettitte had like nine days between starts. One more day is really going to make a difference?

• steve (different one) says:

No, I get that. My point that I think you are overestimating the level to which Girardi and the FO give a shit that a bunch of baseball nerds (myself included) are questioning their decision 10 days later. I just don’t see them inventing a story to justify themselves to us. Esp considering how uncompetitive most of the series was.

• Steve H says:

This. They could care less about us, their job is not to appease us and today’s news doesn’t change what happened.

• Avi says:

The news flash on Pettitte came from Girardi. It would make sense that he wants some “damage control”

• Mike Axisa says:

They don’t make up injuries as damage control. That’s beyond stupid.

I’m pretty sure the Yankees and Girardi don’t give two shits about what the media writes about them.

• Avi says:

I’m not suggesting they’re “making up” an injury just that they might be using it as the reason why he started hughes over pettitte when in fact he would’ve done it regardless.

Why didn’t we hear anything like “well we like the way Phil matches up against their lineup and feel Andy can benefit more from the extra time off. So we’re gonna go with Phil in game 2 and andy in game 3″

• vin says:

Technically, its 2 extra off days – the day of game 2, and the travel day.

7. Avi says:

Gimme Pettitte with two bad hamstrings a bad back and fever over phil hughes in the playoffs ANYDAY.
    Not a second guess here.

• Esteban says:

Pitching with a bad back worked so well for David Wells. I’m sure the Yankees were eager to repeat that. (eyerolls)

• UncleArgyle says:

I don’t see how Andy Pettite in 2010 and David Wells in 2003 have anything to do with each other. Other than the fact that as Vertebrates, they both have Backs.

• Esteban says:

And had back issues and they didn’t want to risk having to pull Pettitte early in the game and use a pitcher like Sergio Mitre. There’s that

8. Gonzo says:

It’s all his fault for riding Pettitte hard so the Yanks would win the division.

9. Big Stein says:

FIRE GIRARDI!

10. larryf says:

I am not a huge fan of binder Joe in-game, but I do think he does an excellent job of taking the heat off his players and sticking by them.

/unlike Favre’s coach

11. A.D. says:

The problem with relying on older starters, figure if Pettitte is fully healthy could have meant winning 2 & 6 vs the performances Hughes put up.

12. RL says:

A reason for him NOT to return again next season. I definitely want to see Any back, but with his history of minor injuries the past few seasons, I wonder if he’ll decide its time to hang up the spikes. It’s gotta suck to have your season interupted like that.

• Gonzo says:

I would love to see him back, but I want him back as a #4-5, possibly #3.

• Xstar7 says:

If Andy decides to return AND the Yankees sign Cliff Lee the starting Rotation should look like this:
        1. CC Sabathia 2. Cliff Lee 3. Andy Pettite 4. AJ Burnett 5. Phil Hughes
        If Andy decides to retire and the Yankees sign Cliff Lee it should look like
        1. CC Sabathia 2. Cliff Lee 3. AJ Burnett 4. Phil Hughes 5. Ivan Nova(that kids got potential and we should give him a shot depending on how spring training goes.

• Zack says:

I’d rather have Andy back for 15-20 starts with Nova making 10-15 instead of handing Nova 33 starts

13. larryf says:

Really the only positive to take out of Andy’s year (in terms of next year) is how many fewer pitches he had to throw as a result of the nagging/groin/back injuries. At least his arm is sound.

14. Gollumbar says:

EVERYONE criticized Girardi because it seemed SO stupid at the time. You can’t feel stupid if you didn’t have all the information.

• bexarama says:

No, everyone criticized Girardi after Hughes pitched poorly. After wanting Hughes to start Game 2 of the ALDS. There were legit reasons to start Hughes in Game 2 of the ALCS (and definitely legit reasons to start Pettitte, too); it was hardly an indefensible move.

That said, rubbing it in everyone’s faces isn’t really productive either, we don’t have all the information.

15. jack says:

That was Joe Girardi’s excuse to escape the blame about his huge mistake.
    How many days were there from the end of ALDS to the second game in ALCS?
    How about game 4?