Oct

Re-signing Girardi is the “first order of business”

After last night’s Game Six loss to the Rangers, Brian Cashman told the hordes of New York media that his “first order of business” this offseason is to re-sign manager Joe Girardi. Jon Heyman reported that the two sides were setup for a reunion just yesterday. Opinions are pretty split about Girardi on the heels of the ALCS loss, but the front office loves him and he’s experienced tremendous success during his first three years in New York. One playoff season doesn’t change that.

Categories : Asides, Front Office

1. Plank says:

I would take the job for $80,000. Who do I send my resume to?

2. first time lawng time says:

What do you guys think his contract will be?

Do managers even make that much anyway? (obviously they make a lot, I just mean in comparison to player)

3. Riverdale Joe says:

I’ll do it for free as long as Posada’s wife can be my bench coach.

4. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Couldn’t pay me enough to do that job…it is an absolute no win situation…if you win, so what, and the payroll narative is played ad-nauseum, if you lose you quit, spit the bit, choked or just mis-managed.

Anyone else avoiding all signs of MSM today?

5. Reggie C. says:

“First order of business” should be to hire a life coach for AJ Burnett. From the initial lie surrounding his hand injury to the mysterious black eye, there’s an instability in his personality that worries me. AJ’s stuff and command couldn’t have decayed that fast. If anything, the four plus innings from game 5 showed us AJ still has the moxie to be a winning AL East pitcher. Its the stuff off the mound that might have him screwed up.

6. Dave the Ox says:

Laura Posada even tolerates her husband wearing white nail polish. What a secure woman.

7. Jake Barnes says:

I have no issue bringing back an experienced manager that has had success including a world series title. I will admit though last night I could only laugh when the IBB’d Hamilton again after the Vlad inning, reminded me of as a kid when my mother dropped an stack of plates because she didn’t like using the dish tray. My father scratched his head one day later as she attempted the same thing.

• Tom Zig says:

So you’re saying you’d rather face ALCS MVP and AL MVP Josh Hamilton than Vlad “I’ll swing at pitches that bounce in front of the plate” Guerrero?

• Jake Barnes says:

Tampa Bay showed you don’t HAVE to pitch around Hamilton, and you don’t have to say to Vlad “we’d rather pitch to you” in doing so. Also for all the talk about Vlad swinging at anything, its not because he misses them. The guy can put nearly any pitch into play.

8. Jake Barnes says:

If only that binder included scouting reports on Josh Hamilton and curve balls.

9. bonestock94 says:

No complaints from me, it was player failure in 2010.

10. pat says:

It was Girardi’s idea to to go FAIL w/RISP during the ALCS.

11. Greg says:

Girardi’s three years here have spanned the board

1st season- no playoffs
    2nd season- World Series victory
    3rd season- ALCS loss

If he didn’t get that ring last year, he’d be gone. That ring is his safety net.

12. Dave the Ox says:

I am saddest about seeing the last of Lance in pinstripes. Kerry Wood, meh. The Big Puma is all that.

13. JerseyDutch says:

297 – 199 record as Yankees manager over three years. I’d say that’s good enough for a re-up.

14. Hughesus Christo says:

I’ll say it again… the “report” never said the Yankees don’t want him back. It said NY wasn’t a good fit for his family.

15. Jimmy McNulty says:

Offer the job to Jeter as a part of a reasonable contract offer.

16. nycsportzfan says:

Hes had the type of success any manager would have with this team.. The guys terrible at managing, and anyone with a pea brain can see that…

17. Jack says:

Whether to re-sign Joe Girardi as the manager is not critical.
    Yankees need to think about what are needed if they want to win next World Series Title? The bullpen, the pitching starters and the offensive team all are shaky. There are many problems need to solve.

18. Tank Foster says:

No problem with this – get Girardi back. On Jeter? Honestly….thinking of George Weiss and Rizzuto, it honestly wouldn’t break my heart if that little half swing was Jeter’s last as a Yankee. At the very least….no more than 2 years, please?

What are the odds Jeter has a comeback year? You know, hit’s his lifetime average, or thereabouts, 15 homers, plays 150 games? I don’t know, he’s an amazing athlete and works very hard, but I think it’s low.

• Tank Foster says:

They would never do that, by the way, meaning let Jeter go. The modern Yankee management is pretty sentimental, unlike the ruthless 1950s era bunch. At least that’s how I see it. I really wonder what the 1950s era management would have done with Jeter. At 37, much slower, poor in the field, and this year losing a huge chunk of offensive effectiveness.

Trouble is, there is nobody ready to step into that position.

19. Jack says:

Jeter is good. What Jeter needs to adjust is to reduce ground balls.

• Tank Foster says:

He’s 37, in the end phase of his career. Guys don’t make major adjustments such as that at this stage. At least I don’t think so. He’s done, really, as a player. But they’ll sign him for business reasons.

20. Jack says:

I agreed this season was frustrating to Jeter, but dropping over 500 from a 0.334 AVG in 2009 season to 0.270 AVG in 2010 season is probably not aging issue. The similar case is for Mark Teixeira who got 0.0 AVG in ALCS.

21. Dave Leon says:

Kerry Wood is a definite member of the 2011 team, and we got him for just about nothing. He’ll be the only one of the three trading deadline pickups to make the team. If the Yankees go after Carl Crawford, what to do with Gardner?