Oct

Yankees have no obvious favorite to replace Eiland

Via Ken Davidoff, the Yankees do not have an obvious candidate to replace Dave Eiland as pitching coach, and will look both inside and outside the organization to fill the position. Dave Duncan signed a new contract with the Cardinals today, so thankfully we can put an end to that speculation before it even begins. Triple-A pitching coach Scott Aldred and roving pitching coordinator Nardi Contreras are the only in-house replacements I can come up with, but there’s bound to be more.

Meanwhile, Joe Girardi said he doesn’t expect there to be any more changes to his coaching staff even though all of their contracts are up. You’d have to think that hitting coach Kevin Long will get a nice big contract extension after his work in recent years.

Categories : Asides

1. 1. Al Leiter
    2. Mike Harkey

Bam. That happened.

It’s probably easier to replace the bullpen coach anyway, and it seems as though the pitchers like Harkey.

2. I like Aldred, but howabout this:

MITRE FOR PITCHING COACH!!! Yeah? YEAH?

3. Steve H says:

What did the Yankees think of Joe Kerrigan when he was here? I know a lot of people don’t like him (he was an awful manager) but he was always pretty good with the Sox (as pitching coach). He may be a possibility unless he wore out his welcome.

4. vin says:

If Harkey gets the promotion, how about Joba as the new bullpen coach?

He’s spiraling down the pitching staff depth chart as it is.

5. vin says:

My guess is they go completely off the board. I have no basis for this thinking… just a hunch.

6. JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh no, no Nardi. Keep him so he can use his magic for the kids.

7. Tom Zig says:

Gregory Maddux? I’ve seen his name get mentioned a bit.

8. steve s says:

How about the Bobby Valentine of pitching coaches- Rick Peterson!

9. DallasGreen says:

MOOSE!!!!!

10. Frank says:

I say the Yanks hire Mitch Williams. That would be classic.

11. vinny-b says:

David Cone

12. James A says:

Dwight Gooden… he’s available, right?

13. James A says:

With the Red Sox now having a vacancy as well, I hope both teams settle on the same guy
    I’m getting bored with the player bidding wars, I want to do it with coaches

14. Dirty Pena says:

Paul O’Neill was removed from consideration when it was determined he’d pass along too many of his bulldog/warrior traits and we’d end up with an entire staff of relievers.

15. JerseyDutch says:

Whitey Ford. Teach those kids how to throw a proper spitter.

16. crawdaddy says:

Gil Patterson might be possible, but he might be like Nardi that doesn’t want the grind of being a pitching coach at the major league level.

17. Jerome S says:

What’s Randy Johnson doing these days? I don’t expect anything, but it seems like we’re all throwing out the names of great pitchers who retired in the past decade.
    With that in mind, how ’bout Pedro?
    /NotReallyPuttingAnyThoughtIntoIt’d

18. JohnathanCold says:

Tanyon Sturtze

19. BC-203 says:

I’d say the favorite should be Curt Young from the A’s. He decided not the re-up with them for next year and is great at developing talent, particularly Hughes. He is probably the top guy out there right now for us to pursue.

20. David says:

I know a great one, but he’d need a day off every five days: Casey Kelly !!!11!!!111

21. DallasGreen says:

JIM KAAT!!!

22. DallasGreen says:

BLACKJACK MCDOWELL!!

23. Joltin' Joe says:

I like the Curt Young idea… did play for the Yanks for a short while after all.

24. Howie says:

Rick Kravitz

He was Girardi’s pitching coach in Florida, he’s been the pitching coach in Baltimore. If Buck wants his own people, Kravitz may become available.

25. FIPster Doofus says:

Melky Cabrera

• Murakami says:

I understand Melk has enrolled in Umpiring School. He’s the right size now, and enjoys giving the “safe” sign. Since he enjoyed his time as a Yankee, maybe we’ll get some calls from him, even for our own little track star.

26. Xstar7 says:

How about Jim Abbott? That man is an inspiration.

27. Hughesus Christo says:

Why do people always drop random players with zero coaching experience. This isn’t a mascot job. Didn’t Ron Guidry have to get fired in embarrassing fashion, and then lambasted throughout the media?

28. angel rodriguez says:

My candidates for pitching coach are:

Tom Seaver
    Orel Hershiser
    David Cone
    Ron Guidry
    Leo Mazzone

29. Xstar7 says:

I just saw an Interview on Espn where Nolan Ryan was asked if he thinks The SF Texas WS will go over well since most of America wanted a rematch of last year. Then he said he thinks it’s great for baseball because he thinks his team and the giants show teams can get this far without “buying the pennant”. I can smell he’s a Yankees hater. (By the way doesn’t he think they BOUGHT the pennant when they BOUGHT Cliff Lee? What a dumbass.)

• Xstar7 says:

I’ve officially ruled out Nolan Ryan as Yankees pitching coach.

• jon says:

or how about the fact that his team was propped up by money from the MLB which they get directly from those big bad teams who “buy their pennants”

• JerseyDutch says:

So if they got that far against teams that tried to “buy the pennant,” it shows that you can’t really buy the pennant because you can still lose. Ha, I have you in the crushing grip of my logic, Nolan Ryan!

• dan says:

hey ,we r going to buy lee.enyoy him while u can………

• Murakami says:

So I see the man is not only a public nuisance, but an ass as well.

• BC-203 says:

News flash, the Rangers didn’t BUY Cliff Lee, they traded one of their top prospects for him. All they paid to Cliff Lee was about half of his 2010 salary. That is hardly BUYING a pennant.

(Not that I am against spending, I actually love when the Yankees outbid someone, but let’s get real. The Rangers did not buy themselves to the WS. They are there because they made good trades — Lee, Hamilton, Andrus, Feliz, and so on…)

30. Jackstrawelf says:

Why should Kevin Long get a new contract, yeah he changed some swings but these guys were better hitters before they got here and I watched the postseason are hitting sucked. We had several players post career lows in batting average this season and our offense was no where near how it used to be. I watched the games, A-Rod changed his swing at least 3 times in the Postseason and still didnt hit. Maybe get a hitting coach who can hit. We used to rock 1000 runs a year, that hasnt happened in a while.

Pitching coach I love the idea of David Cone, he changed pitching styles many times during his career to work with his stuff and for guys like AJ that would be a huge benefit.

31. Yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

Nick Swisher

32. Jamie G. says:

Leo Mazzone perpetually rocking back and forth in the dugout freaks me out…lol

33. Big Daddy says:

I see they’ve listened to my suggestions. Dave Island was TERRIBLE. GOOD RIDDANCE!

34. Mike says:

Joe Kerrigan, Curt Young, Mike Harkey, Don Cooper, Leo Mazzone, should be candidates to replace Eiland.

35. detroit_yankee says:

Well, frankly I think it should be Lady Gaga…she can wear one of her ‘barely there’ outfits, stand on the top step of the dugout and every batter that gets two strikes on them, she can simply flash them or bend over to grab a gatorade cup and OOPS! strike three…

Pitchers ERA would be a combined 0.23

Plus she can sing the National Anthem and God Bless America. Cost savings.

36. Barry H says:

Harkey was a disaster with AJ. Oh, wait, AJ was a disaster with everyone.

37. MikeD says:

Joe Torre feels right.

EXPLOSION

38. Mattchu12 says:

Calling it now: Andy Pettitte returns to Yankees on a one-year deal, as the pitching coach.

Oh snap.

39. Dick Whitman says:

Pat Venditte.

40. godfather says:

i’ll coach cc, mo and andy; you can coach sjb, hughes and joba; i see mike maddux and my pal rags as difference makers, but not even they can turn miracles; let long do it and give him double pay and his